4.Fail satire project.

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Akula
Knight-Baron

Post by Akula »

I thought you would play this straight out of the DMG, without the errata. Then someone can find it in the middle of the game, and someone else can comment on how the math must not have just worked.
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

Akula wrote:I thought you would play this straight out of the DMG, without the errata. Then someone can find it in the middle of the game, and someone else can comment on how the math must not have just worked.
Particularly after the best guy tried while everyone stood around and then it still Failed.

Player: "Hey, while you were doing everything for us in game look what I found."
Draco_Argentum wrote:
Mister_Sinister wrote:Clearly, your cock is part of the big barrel the server's busy sucking on.
Can someone tell it to stop using its teeth please?
Juton wrote:Damn, I thought [Pathfailure] accidentally created a feat worth taking, my mistake.
Koumei wrote:Shad, please just punch yourself in the face until you are too dizzy to type. I would greatly appreciate that.
Kaelik wrote:No, bad liar. Stop lying.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type I - doing exactly the opposite of what they said they would do.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type II - change for the sake of change.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type III - the illusion of change.
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

Don't forget that your basic attacks--which will be your AoOs--are auto-attacks. GODSPEED, MEN.
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Chamomile wrote:Ant, what do we do about Psychic Robot?
You do not seem to do anything.
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

Psychic Robot wrote:Don't forget that your basic attacks--which will be your AoOs--are auto-attacks. GODSPEED, MEN.
Wait, wouldn't that title go to your best at will?
Draco_Argentum wrote:
Mister_Sinister wrote:Clearly, your cock is part of the big barrel the server's busy sucking on.
Juton wrote:Damn, I thought [Pathfailure] accidentally created a feat worth taking, my mistake.
Koumei wrote:Shad, please just punch yourself in the face until you are too dizzy to type. I would greatly appreciate that.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type I - doing exactly the opposite of what they said they would do.
TheDarkFuzz
NPC

Post by TheDarkFuzz »

To whom it may concern, this is the RPOL link.

http://rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=37620&date=1246576919
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Excellent, I've sent you a PM
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

And asked to join.
Draco_Argentum wrote:
TheDarkFuzz
NPC

Post by TheDarkFuzz »

Cool, everyone but Mask is in right now.
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

Cross posted, but how do you do aliases and such there?
Draco_Argentum wrote:
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Okay, so I'm in with a Human Str Cleric.

I figger that way the only options will I ever need will be
1. Righteous Brand,
2. Move then Righteous Brand or
3. Move then Healing Word THEN Righteous Brand.

I'm unsure of the desired satirical direction - so I could just be effective that way, - which works well if my time gets tight.

I could also outright play the "brand manager" concept as I misunderstand what the power name is supposed to mean and instead obsess over my highest skill of athletics and Kord's endorsement deals and anarchronistic out-of-genre sports references.

I'm also unsure how "core only" we are, or what "core" even means anymore.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

What are good places to post logs?
Draco_Argentum wrote:
TheDarkFuzz
NPC

Post by TheDarkFuzz »

It's PbP, so in essence it will log itself, but if we want somewhere to post it here we can just use the discussion thread under "In The Trenches" that we already have or make a new one just for logs from the game.
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

TheDarkFuzz wrote:It's PbP, so in essence it will log itself, but if we want somewhere to post it here we can just use the discussion thread under "In The Trenches" that we already have or make a new one just for logs from the game.
I mean taking it, turning it into a script, and hosting that somewhere. The idea is to have it not immediately identifiable as satire or Den work (though that should be obvious from continued reading).

Which means in terms of cheap ass websites (as in free).
Draco_Argentum wrote:
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Make it a Live Journal site.

Post the logs of events via copy-pasta. Then put the date and background info based on the "poster's" opinion of what is going on.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

Judging__Eagle wrote:Make it a Live Journal site.

Post the logs of events via copy-pasta. Then put the date and background info based on the "poster's" opinion of what is going on.
Huh?
Draco_Argentum wrote:
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

You want a free place to host the logs of the game?

Then setting up a LJ account is a good way to do this.

Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

Judging__Eagle wrote:You want a free place to host the logs of the game?

Then setting up a LJ account is a good way to do this.
I got that part. But the rest of it made no sense. Mostly because I don't touch the 'bend over for stalkers' sites with an eleven foot pole.
Draco_Argentum wrote:
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Well, the idea is that this is a satire project, right?

One really good way of doing it would be along the lines of Voltaire's Candide. You would narrate the observations that you would want the reader to see.

In Candide, the main character's philosophy is one that he was taught when he was that "everything is for the greater good", and that ill things are still furthering good, when really, they were ill things.

In this case, the narrator could talk about their observations (all in satire of course, with them honestly not sure what is wrong, or complaining that certain things always fail, but not knowing why) about the game.

Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

"I try to disarm the target."
"You fail."
"But you didn't even roll!"
"Sorry, you fail. Only a level 17 fighter can disarm his target."
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Chamomile wrote:Ant, what do we do about Psychic Robot?
You do not seem to do anything.
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

Psychic Robot wrote:"I try to disarm the target."
"You fail."
"But you didn't even roll!"
"Sorry, you fail. Only a level 17 fighter can disarm his target."
Lols.

And still not getting those references.
Draco_Argentum wrote:
TheDarkFuzz
NPC

Post by TheDarkFuzz »

@JE: I totally get that. Basically an LJ for copypasta with an added opinion from the POV of a player whose base assumption is that 4e is a good system, and who is willing to see even the parts that are total failures as being good parts of a good whole.

@Roy: There is no "disarm" maneuver in 4th edition, and enemy equipment is essentially non-interactive once they die. So until you get that one random 17th level Fighter power that makes an enemy drop his weapon and lets you pick it up (I forget what it's called) you literally can't grab things out of people's hands.
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

TheDarkFuzz wrote:@JE: I totally get that. Basically an LJ for copypasta with an added opinion from the POV of a player whose base assumption is that 4e is a good system, and who is willing to see even the parts that are total failures as being good parts of a good whole.

@Roy: There is no "disarm" maneuver in 4th edition, and enemy equipment is essentially non-interactive once they die. So until you get that one random 17th level Fighter power that makes an enemy drop his weapon and lets you pick it up (I forget what it's called) you literally can't grab things out of people's hands.
*facepaws* No, not that. The LJ bit. The disarm is easy to understand.

And of course, when you do get that no one knows what it does.
Draco_Argentum wrote:
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

We could do the LiveJournal summations in a sort of "Real World: 4e" sort of way, where the players out of character talk about what's going on in the world and how much they hate it

Also, PM sent.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.