What is your favorite action-resolution system (and why)?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Psychic Robot
Prince

What is your favorite action-resolution system (and why)?

Post by Psychic Robot »

If it's an obscure one, feel free to elaborate on the mechanics.
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Chamomile wrote:Ant, what do we do about Psychic Robot?
You do not seem to do anything.
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

Are we talking the basic roll mechanic, the basic turn mechanic, what?
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

Basic roll mechanic.
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Chamomile wrote:Ant, what do we do about Psychic Robot?
You do not seem to do anything.
ggroy
Knight

Post by ggroy »

Last edited by ggroy on Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Murtak
Duke

Post by Murtak »

Shadowrun 4 style roll attribute + skill dice, search for fives, because it is simple, works fine for everything but very low dicepool situations and is easy to tie in with other mechanics (edge for example).

I'd love the Shadowrun 3rd edition system, except it doesn't work for about half of it's TNs.

GURPS is nice enough for most stuff and unified mechanics are always good.

And I absolutely adore the Millenium's End hit "table". Basically you get a clear disc with the numbers from 100 to 1 printed on it in a spiral. You have some common outlines with the game, anything else the DM has to draw. Aim the disc at the picture, roll to hit. Your to hit roll generates a number from 1 to 100. Find your number on the disc. That's where your shot went.
Murtak
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

Psychic Robot wrote:Basic roll mechanic.
Roll one dice add bonuses, compare to target number+bonuses. Equal or greater is a success.

My preferred dice is a 1d20 but for some scales of RPG I could see 1d10, 1d12, or 1d30 being acceptable.

It's simple it's transparent, it isn't full of really shitty maths. Basically anything else involving some zany combination of generic dice is just some designer somewhere wanking, really hard.
ggroy
Knight

Post by ggroy »

Last edited by ggroy on Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:08 pm, edited 5 times in total.
mean_liar
Duke

Post by mean_liar »

Whatever's fast, firstly, and whatever serves the genre secondly.

White Wolf's old rolling system was ass... unless you were playing Street Fighter, since then its stupid wackiness was a feature rather than a bug.

I do like Rolemaster. :)
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

I like the roll and keep idea in Weapons of the Gods, as well as the Shades/Plus and Minus system that the FATE system uses.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
zeruslord
Knight-Baron

Post by zeruslord »

The coolest one I've seen is the Houses Of the Blooded system. It's a dicepool system rolling for narrative control with a fixed TN. You can drop a die to get an extra clause if you succeed.