How much, how far do you trust your DM?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Fuchs
Duke

How much, how far do you trust your DM?

Post by Fuchs »

With the recent threads where the DM's role is at least tangentially covered I am wondering how much, how far you trust your DM. Not as much about whether or not the DM rolls fairly, and uses the rules, but whether or not you trust the DM to provide a fun game. If the game is fun do you care about how the DM does it?
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

Which one?

My first (D&D) one, no (but he isnt my DM any longer).
(He keept changing the rules...)

My SR one: far

My current D&D, not so far.
(Isnt very rules wise, and is likely to allow broken stuff if presented right.
At the same time, he doesnt allow non-broken stuff, because he thinks its overpowered.)

But he learns...
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Trust a DM? Oh lawdy..

There's three dilemma: the Rotating DM, the Gygaxian DM, and me.

Rotating DM

Strong trust is needed. Each time your volunteering switches DM role to you, it's your duty to not only put aside your PC by story means, but to not dish yourself items "for when my character returns".
Each session is like a kid's cartoon; intro, conflict, progress, and resolution all within a single day.
No hanging endings, those are wrapped up by the next DM.
No continued plotline unless the next DM wishes to; don't guarantee you're going to be the next DM, things always happen to stall plans.
No permanent alterations to culture or landscape without vote by the group. You also can't filibuster this.

Gygaxian DM
Fucking dickwads.
No, I don't want to argue about how your autopass crits and fumbles ruin martial combat.
No, I don't want to start a new campaign every time we reach level 3.
No, I didn't want my tiefling to get dildo-raped in the ass by a demigod.
Buy me dinner first or something.

Rocks fall, everyone dies.
... Except the DM's girlfriend because there won't be any sex that week if her rogue is damaged.

Me
I trust myself completely. It's those shifty munchkins and crit-sneaks I keep an eye on!
NineInchNall
Duke

Post by NineInchNall »

The word is trilemma.

First DM, from middle school, high school, and college: Absolutely.
Second DM: I trust myself.
Current DM: Far enough.
Last edited by NineInchNall on Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current pet peeves:
Misuse of "per se". It means "[in] itself", not "precisely". Learn English.
Malformed singular possessives. It's almost always supposed to be 's.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

I've never played with a DM I would trust farther than I could shot-put a planet, except one I played with at a one-shot.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Hmmm.....

Honestly, there's really only one GM that I know right now that I trust to run a fun game.

All of my previous ones were either bad, or novices.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

Wouldn't trust all but one, my second DM knew his shit very well and was quite creative. The only problem was he staunchly believed that the Core was completely balanced among itself. I'm talking like the PHBII Knight was too much high power for him.

This was probably for the best, as we all were douchebags and would look for any opportunity to upend the game for our own benefit.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Trust what? Do I trust my DM doesn't mean anything without what I trust him to do.
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

Mask_De_H wrote:Wouldn't trust all but one, my second DM knew his shit very well and was quite creative. The only problem was he staunchly believed that the Core was completely balanced among itself. I'm talking like the PHBII Knight was too much high power for him.

This was probably for the best, as we all were douchebags and would look for any opportunity to upend the game for our own benefit.
So Wizards were perfectly ok eh?
Draco_Argentum wrote:
Mister_Sinister wrote:Clearly, your cock is part of the big barrel the server's busy sucking on.
Can someone tell it to stop using its teeth please?
Juton wrote:Damn, I thought [Pathfailure] accidentally created a feat worth taking, my mistake.
Koumei wrote:Shad, please just punch yourself in the face until you are too dizzy to type. I would greatly appreciate that.
Kaelik wrote:No, bad liar. Stop lying.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type I - doing exactly the opposite of what they said they would do.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type II - change for the sake of change.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type III - the illusion of change.
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

And druids. Though I'm not sure why anyone wouldn't trust his DM--and if one felt like one couldn't trust said DM, why anyone would spend time with that DM. Sounds like an un-fun game to me.

If trust were rated on a numeric scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being the trust level you would give to a backstabbing, power-tripping twat and 10 being the trust level you would give to yourself, I'd say that my current DM is an 8.
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Chamomile wrote:Ant, what do we do about Psychic Robot?
You do not seem to do anything.