The WotC Char. Op. Board - Tell us about your experiences an

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

MrWaeseL
Duke

Re: The WotC Char. Op. Board - Tell us about your experience

Post by MrWaeseL »

Apparently, it's not min/maxing unless you have at least 4 different classes :rolleyes:
grey_muse
1st Level

Post by grey_muse »

Me, I think it's because it's only a succubus paladin and not a feral half-succubus anthropomorphic whale. But I voted for you anyway.

I'm debating the ethics of joining under a few new names to vote, but I think that'd probably constitute cheating. :)
Neeek
Knight-Baron

Post by Neeek »

Yeah, I couldn't figure out how to tag all those templates onto the last level, and I felt that any less hit dice would just plain suck.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Dumbass wrote:Exactly. The contest is as much about making cool characters as it is about making optimized characters.

Fvcking pathetic. That statement alone would make the entire character optimization board crumble into dust and blow away if there was any ironic justice left in the world.

But after Reagan got to die while personally benefitting from his slash and burn tactics against treatment and medical research to aid the mentally ill, I think the world's reserves of pitard hoistings are sadly depleted and no lightning bolts will come down on those stove sucking morons. It's tragic is what it is.

-Username17
SuicideChump
1st Level

Post by SuicideChump »

Lago_AM3P at [unixtime wrote:1110151767[/unixtime]]RE: Contest Thread

The thought of anyone with ten levels of Dread Pirate winning anything other than a internationally sanctioned execution for genetic evil makes my flesh crawl.

:lmao:

I voted for Neeek's chick.
I always loved the concept of a good-aligned succubus! :roundnround:

And the 'Dread Pirate' PrC from Complete Adventurer (its execution and concept as well) makes me feel the urge to fart into the mouth of its creator.

Regarding my experience in the CO board, I'm afraid I have nothing exceptional to tell: some laughter, some useful info, a flame war with a motherfvcker ( :rolleyes: ), some assorted trolling. :ohwell:

About the power builds Wish/Word flame: CO is one of the worst place to debate about the legalty of a build. When many of your reviewers intimately feel they are the CO divas and you outweigh them, you are just going to receive a lot of hate/nonsense reviews.
I've read too many "You are mixing 3.0 with 3.5!!!" "You don't know the rules!" "This is not core!" written by people whose builds were blatantly illegal.

I do not mean that the Wish/Word builds are immune to criticism: I'm just meaning that the CO board is a suboptimal place for mature and constructive criticism, which is different. Would you call a 'place for mature players' a board where even the mods act like munchkinny whiners?
Remember:biggrin:: "No, guys, this is a board about optimization, not about rules exploitation...". Goatfvcker.

Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

SuicideChump at [unixtime wrote:1110289833[/unixtime]]
I do not mean that the Wish/Word builds are immune to criticism:

Most of the really really strong builds involve either questionable rules interpretations (not "wrong" just "questionable") or exploiting rules which are clear as written but which result in such obvious absurdities that any sane DM will houserule otherwise.

Thus you are going to have debates as to the legality of just about any worthwhile optimization builds. The problem is how to establish legality for the purposes of design contests. There are two reasonable answers:

1. Spell out very clearly what is/isn't allowed and what interpretations the contest is using when the contest is announced. And then accept whatever absurdities still get through as legal contest entrants. This is the solution I would like, but the time and effort needed for this is prohibitive.

2. Give a very loose contest framework, but then mention that a poster, wizo or panel of posters has the right to determine rules legality. This is a little unfair, but it's what happens in most actual games (you come up with an idea, you run it past the DM and then the DM either accepts, rejects or modifies the idea). To avoid impropriatey, the panelists should be barred from entering the contest themselves, and there should probably be a contest phase where the contest entrants have the chance to modify their entries based on the judges' decisions as to rules legality.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Neeek
Knight-Baron

Post by Neeek »

Wow. I actually managed to convince them to change the rules. And it didn't take me flaming them for a long, long time. People are becoming reasonable on the internet. What's the world coming to?
The_Hanged_Man
Knight-Baron

Post by The_Hanged_Man »

I just looked at the contest. Except for Neeek, I kept wondering how they all got such mediocre Diplomacy scores. . .
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

So when do they announce the winner? or has Neeek already won? ;)
Neeek
Knight-Baron

Post by Neeek »

voting ends tomorrow. And I'm currently not winning.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Yep, JK either multi-voted for himself or got some real life friends to do so for him. It's the ultimate expression of his shitty pirate character: if you can't win on merit, maybe you can arbitrarily win on social connections alone.

-Username17
MrWaeseL
Duke

Post by MrWaeseL »

Korhal_IV wrote:I'm voting for Jolan because he's playable at level 1, and because I play in Eberron, and because he's plenty powerful enough for my home games (which don't usually require an enormous amount of min-maxxing). :)

:wtf:
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

C'mon people! Put your money where your mouth is! If you are going to complain about this kind of cheating and/or chicanery here --- why don't you make your feelings known on the thread at the CharOp board.

otherwise, you can sit here and sulk while Joseph Kell sits there and smirks.

Call a spade a spade.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Annonymous Coward wrote:If you are going to complain about this kind of cheating and/or chicanery here --- why don't you make your feelings known on the thread at the CharOp board.

...Because the WotC mods have forever banned me for being "too controvertial" (their words, not mine). I can't voice displeasure there because their clique long ago rote into their by-laws that I personally wasn't allowed to criticize them anymore.

-Username17
SuicideChump
1st Level

Post by SuicideChump »

MrWaeseL at [unixtime wrote:1110360770[/unixtime]]
Korhal_IV wrote:I'm voting for Jolan because he's playable at level 1

:sad:
What the hell does he mean? Even a Fighter is playable at level 1!!!!
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Guest (Unregistered) at [unixtime wrote:1110361519[/unixtime]]C'mon people! Put your money where your mouth is! If you are going to complain about this kind of cheating and/or chicanery here --- why don't you make your feelings known on the thread at the CharOp board.

Call a spade a spade.

I have in the past during the wish and word debacle, you little shit. And it went over about as well as I anticipated.

Why don't you put a name to your accusations? You're the one being the coward, as far as I'm concerned. And a hypocrit too.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Julia_of_Hillsdown
NPC

Post by Julia_of_Hillsdown »

[Slight hijack] What is the wish and the word debacle?[/hijack]
MrWaeseL
Duke

Post by MrWaeseL »

You can read about that here.

Basically, Frank and K entered a min-max contest held by the Character optimization board but got banned (from the contest) because of their submission.
Essence
Knight-Baron

Post by Essence »

Just voted for you, big N. You are tied with the pirate now.

Fucking pirates.

Best of luck!
RandomCasualty
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty »

Count_Arioch_the_28th at [unixtime wrote:1110378795[/unixtime]]
I have in the past during the wish and word debacle, you little shit. And it went over about as well as I anticipated.

Why don't you put a name to your accusations? You're the one being the coward, as far as I'm concerned. And a hypocrit too.

Wow, someone is a bit pissed off.
Julia_of_Hillsdown
NPC

Post by Julia_of_Hillsdown »

MrWaeseL at [unixtime wrote:1110381411[/unixtime]]You can read about that here.

Basically, Frank and K entered a min-max contest held by the Character optimization board but got banned (from the contest) because of their submission.

Thanks, Mr WaeseL :)

Unfortunately, my min/max-fu is weak, so I don't understand all of it, but it's an interesting read nonetheless.
Dragon_Child
Apprentice

Post by Dragon_Child »

wrote:C'mon people! Put your money where your mouth is! If you are going to complain about this kind of cheating and/or chicanery here --- why don't you make your feelings known on the thread at the CharOp board.

Call a spade a spade.

I did. I was warned. Twice. Obviously, the WizOs (or at least Autumn) don't want a fair game. I even offered Autumn to set things up as I had a houserule list already. Instead, stembolt was chosen. That should really say something there.
Murtak
Duke

Post by Murtak »

Count_Arioch_the_28th at [unixtime wrote:1110378795[/unixtime]]Why don't you put a name to your accusations? You're the one being the coward, as far as I'm concerned. And a hypocrit too.

You have no idea how much this makes me feel at home. That is just like one of my old EQ boards, where the only rule was "post under your in-game name". Glorious flamewars there used to be. *sighs fondly*
Murtak
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Hey, there's been enough people who go anon to flame people on these boards in the past that I figured you were one of them, excuse the hell out of me.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Boulie_98
Journeyman

Post by Boulie_98 »

I never gave a shit for the CO board, so I'd be a hypocrite if I were to go over there and vote for any build. No, make that: I'd endorse the fact that it's a popularity contest. Which it is.