I love my wife, but...

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

TOZ
Duke

I love my wife, but...

Post by TOZ »

She drives me crazy sometimes. She always worries she's not doing enough to pull her weight in the relationship.

Even as she's doing a 30 credit hour semester while I'm away in Iraq.

Just needed to get that off my chest.
ubernoob
Duke

Re: I love my wife, but...

Post by ubernoob »

TOZ wrote:She drives me crazy sometimes. She always worries she's not doing enough to pull her weight in the relationship.

30?

Are you kidding me? I had to get special permission to take 20 hours. Of entry level courses.

*facepalm*

You must have a very lovely wife.
TOZ
Duke

Post by TOZ »

She's absolutely awesome. She just has anxiety issues from abusive boyfriends and her mother.

Dude said he would pay the rent while she went to school, then got fired and said she wasn't doing enough to buy him things, while she was working and going to school fulltime to pay the bills.

I'd like to send him to several exotic locales. At the same time.

And she's worried she's not contributing enough financially. I told her college is an investment.

But yeah, she has damn near a 4.0, and most of these classes are BS requirements since she had to change colleges after the move. Plus, they have wierd 8-week courses, so most of them don't overlap.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

TOZ wrote:She drives me crazy sometimes.
Well what the fuck did you think love meant when you took your vows?
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Never leave the gal. From your description, she's awesome.

Just make sure not to have kids until everything settles, which might or might not include therapy for her past.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Wow. And I thought my wife was an over achiever.

I hope things work out well with he sorting out her anxiety issues. I hope things go well for the two of you.
TOZ
Duke

Post by TOZ »

Josh_Kablack wrote:
TOZ wrote:She drives me crazy sometimes.
Well what the fuck did you think love meant when you took your vows?
Why, that she would be exactly what I wanted her to be every second of every day, Josh. Isn't that what everyone expects? :roll:
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Sadly, yes.

But, so long as it's only sometimes, you'll do alright.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Nihlin
Journeyman

Post by Nihlin »

I recommend years of cheerleading and positive reinforcement. Draw up a 5 year plan now. Seriously.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

TOZ wrote:She drives me crazy sometimes. She always worries she's not doing enough to pull her weight in the relationship.

My ex believes that sacrificing herself means requiring everyone around her to sacrifice slightly less on her behalf. She's told me as much, although not those words.

Consider yourself fortunate.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

I'm with Nihilin. I'd also reccomend talking with her about this.*

*:Old advice, but.... y'know.

I'd classify this more as "I worry about her" more than "she drives me crazy". The first is better than the second, imo.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

I take 30 semester units every semester. It doesn't stop me from having side projects, but it does keep me from going out more than once or twice a week.

-Username17
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

Is 30 semester units normal for medical school?

I probably could handle about 24 before needing to prioritize work by class. I imagine I'll have to do the prioritize thing in the next several years.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

FrankTrollman wrote:I take 30 semester units every semester. It doesn't stop me from having side projects, but it does keep me from going out more than once or twice a week.
Ah. Going out.. to buy supplies for making more cards?
Last edited by JonSetanta on Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Yeah, the credit-hours thing doesn't start to be a pain until you get some three or five credit course that wants eight hours of work done by each next class.

Ugh.

-Crissa
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

I tried to take 18 credit hours one semester last year. I must confess being an intellectual pansy here, but I couldn't hack it.

I tell myself that chugging away at an education is better than not having one at all, but who knows? I sometimes question if I can ever get to be a scientist and play with spiders all day.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

what the hell is a credit hour?

Is that like contact hours?
IGTN
Knight-Baron

Post by IGTN »

It's a unit of time used in universities. A class generally meets for one hour per week per credit hour, lasts for a semester or quarter or whatever depending on what schedule the university uses, and expects you to do anywhere up to twice that in homework and studying.

I say generally because labs are usually one credit but take longer. They also expect lengthy written reports.

In the US, generally about 12 credits is the minimum to be considered full-time, and 15 is the most any major will demand you'll take in an average unit, and translates to anywhere up to 45 hours a week of coursework in and out of class. 20 is a lot, and 30 is close to the equivalent of working two full-time jobs.
"No, you can't burn the inn down. It's made of solid fire."
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

It's also a horribly vague unit of measurement, because the workload of a normal class can vary between nothing and a part-time job all on its own.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

And the value of what a class and an instructor thinks they should be taxing for those hours often varies. I've had five credit hour classes that needed nothing out of class (unusual, but not completely) and some who think five credit hours ought to give them forty hours of work to pry loose.

-Crissa
cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

Fucking weird.

I'm used to course credits at uni being completely independent from contact hours.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

They are, but that's where the basis came from.

-Crissa
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

Surgo wrote:It's also a horribly vague unit of measurement, because the workload of a normal class can vary between nothing and a part-time job all on its own.
On the other hand, if you are not getting the "all you can eat/stand" package of full time tuition, you have to pay by the credit hour. So for a part time student the credit hour is not a unit of work/effort but a unit of effective overall value of the course.
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

tzor wrote:On the other hand, if you are not getting the "all you can eat/stand" package of full time tuition, you have to pay by the credit hour.
Back at Bard, the only way to pay tuition was by the credit hour.