• Regeneration
• Really Talented Clerics
• Healing Items
• Grafts
• Event-Rejection Powers

Pretty much different themed methods for saying "Wounds? I see no wounds here."
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
souran
Duke

Post by souran »

Depending on the kind of game

1) Offinensive check roll
2) Offensive Effect roll
-> Like most everybody else this seems to make people have the most fun. It sucks when you have only the check because then usually how well you roll on the check is directly the damage. This means that you never feel like you hit something difficult to hit hard. It also limits the number of combat character types right out of the box. Basically there becomes no difference in the sure hitter/hard hitter. So two rolls here is satisfying.

it is not the most elegant. The most elegant is DP9's system. Easily the best system for scaling difficultly and success...but emotionally unstasifying to play. true exponetial difficulty makes things awesome on paper and crap to play.

3) Defensive Negation roll
I think that most players want a defense roll of some kind. Even though it usually would hurt them. Most game masters don't want there to be something else they have to roll after an attack.

I propose a players defense roll that reduces the effect roll. However, this is incredibly hard to balance. D&D doesn't have it, and never has. Wod had it but not really as an active roll.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

So, what do you do about AoEs and multiple attacks? Having multiple rolls can really add up quickly.

I don't really agree with the idea of getting rid of multiple attacks unless you get rid of AoEs, too, but practically no one would want to play a close-quarters wargame where you can't hit more than one target at once.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

For me AoE would fall under the save roll category. I always pin people's save bonuses to my DM screen so all I have to do is have everyone roll at once then examine the bonuses.
The first rule of Fatclub. Don't Talk about Fatclub..
If you want a game modded right you have to mod it yourself.