Balancing 3.x

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Anguirus wrote:Tell me that my taste in games is so marginal that I would never be able to find a group again. I don't know if I understood you the first few times.
Are we still talking about D&D? I'd put a fiver on those odds. If we're talking about one of those "Let's all flail about like Baldric, be incompetent and die a lot, laughing all the while." one-off style games (see: conventions, anything involving large amounts of alcohol) then it really doesn't count, because the entire point of the game has changed (I wouldn't go so far as to use PL's definition of sucking, however).

But yeah. In D&D, you're not going to find that. The best you'll find is a group of people willing to put up with it because it keeps a friend happy (even if they would then have a great time playing some Paranoia), kind of like how we'd all tolerate the faerie fetish one guy had, back in Melbourne. Because D&D seriously isn't the game for that, and if you honestly want it, you're playing the wrong game and should just play one suited to what you want.

Anyway, I'm going to go back to eating popcorn while watching the hilarity of this thread.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
violence in the media
Duke

Post by violence in the media »

Koumei wrote:
Anguirus wrote:Tell me that my taste in games is so marginal that I would never be able to find a group again. I don't know if I understood you the first few times.
Are we still talking about D&D? I'd put a fiver on those odds. If we're talking about one of those "Let's all flail about like Baldric, be incompetent and die a lot, laughing all the while." one-off style games (see: conventions, anything involving large amounts of alcohol) then it really doesn't count, because the entire point of the game has changed (I wouldn't go so far as to use PL's definition of sucking, however).

But yeah. In D&D, you're not going to find that. The best you'll find is a group of people willing to put up with it because it keeps a friend happy (even if they would then have a great time playing some Paranoia), kind of like how we'd all tolerate the faerie fetish one guy had, back in Melbourne. Because D&D seriously isn't the game for that, and if you honestly want it, you're playing the wrong game and should just play one suited to what you want.

Anyway, I'm going to go back to eating popcorn while watching the hilarity of this thread.
I have to second Koumei's wisdom here. People will put up with a lot of shit because a friend wants to do it or it's the only game in town. Just because you have a group doesn't mean that all of them actually want to be playing what's offered. Chances are, some of them are humoring you, feel that they have nothing better to do, or are simply trying to make lemonade of the situation.
Anguirus
Journeyman

Post by Anguirus »

Murtak wrote: Use it or lose it. Unless you are certain to deal with the current encounter (or even turn) just fine without your points you would be nuts not to use it right away.

Why would you need to encourage novaing? If you can nova it is generally a smart plan. Overkill is of course bad, but killing the enemy before he gets another action is good.
Thank you for taking the time.

What if the activation costs for the higher tier abilities were unfairly cheap considering the activation costs for lower tier abilities? You could of course still use your lower tiered abilities in a pinch but you're really saving up for the ultra sweet shit later.

As for encouraging novaing it seems like right now there is no need to ever nova because it seriously almost always is overkill.

Koumei wrote: But yeah. In D&D, you're not going to find that. The best you'll find is a group of people willing to put up with it because it keeps a friend happy (even if they would then have a great time playing some Paranoia), kind of like how we'd all tolerate the faerie fetish one guy had, back in Melbourne. Because D&D seriously isn't the game for that, and if you honestly want it, you're playing the wrong game and should just play one suited to what you want.

Yeah, it really wouldn't look too much like D&D any more. I like using D&D as a basis because it is a system that a lot of people are already familiar with. I wouldn't call it D&D nor would I expect it to play like D&D. I don't know of a game more suited to what I want. If you could suggest a game that already does what I want or one that needs less of an overhaul to make it function how I want I would love to hear it.
Sighs and leers and crocodile tears.
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

MGuy wrote:Because I'm feeling that this is looking like a difference in opinion I'm going to try and understand where everyone is coming from. NJ and RC adjust their games based on who is at the table/in the game. PL and Roy don't like it. Great. No need to get into the if x is happening group y has failed at life sort of shit. Some people play the game one way other people play it in others. great whatever. Getting more to the point, balancing things for a specific game or a specific group shouldn't need to be done at all or the need for it should be kept at a minimum. The game should be balanced well enough that any group can play in it and do well within given parameters maximized groups of course doing better. Can we get back to going in that direction?
Paizil Fallacy. Though I'm not sure how the dumbfuck squad justifying their incompetence came up either.
Draco_Argentum wrote:
Mister_Sinister wrote:Clearly, your cock is part of the big barrel the server's busy sucking on.
Can someone tell it to stop using its teeth please?
Juton wrote:Damn, I thought [Pathfailure] accidentally created a feat worth taking, my mistake.
Koumei wrote:Shad, please just punch yourself in the face until you are too dizzy to type. I would greatly appreciate that.
Kaelik wrote:No, bad liar. Stop lying.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type I - doing exactly the opposite of what they said they would do.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type II - change for the sake of change.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type III - the illusion of change.
NineInchNall
Duke

Post by NineInchNall »

PhoneLobster wrote:I said "no one wants to do that" dumb ass says "someone might!"
Uh, no, you said, "fun is objective." Then dumb ass said, "fun is subjective."

Then flames of utter inanity consumed the thread.
Current pet peeves:
Misuse of "per se". It means "[in] itself", not "precisely". Learn English.
Malformed singular possessives. It's almost always supposed to be 's.
Murtak
Duke

Post by Murtak »

Anguirus wrote:What if the activation costs for the higher tier abilities were unfairly cheap considering the activation costs for lower tier abilities? You could of course still use your lower tiered abilities in a pinch but you're really saving up for the ultra sweet shit later.
That turns it into a calculated gamble. In a DnD that doesn't work because everything drops fast. In 4th it might work, seeing as you could be reasonably certain to actually get your good ability. Of course you are now stuck with fighters never using their lesser powers.

Anguirus wrote:As for encouraging novaing it seems like right now there is no need to ever nova because it seriously almost always is overkill
Then no one novas. Why would they intentionally waste resources? Why do you want to trick them into doing so?
Murtak
RandomCasualty2
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty2 »

Roy wrote: Straw man, and if the battles are unwinnable it's because the group failed, not because the DM did anything wrong. It's exactly what they are supposed to fight, and further they walked right into it. Even if it were an actually unwinnable fight, the fact they willingly walked into it disqualifies any complaints about it.
But the battle that you want to make unwinnable is in fact not some battle you foolishly proceeded into, but in fact the standard battles of the quest. Because you're saying if you can't beat even CR threats, then you're just fucked. And you are apparently against changing the quest so the PCs are fighting stuff that's 2-3 CR under what they're supposed to be fighting.

So literally the PCs cannot play at your table without getting fucked over. Because you are adamantly opposed to giving them a quest they can actually accomplish (the encounter guidelines are immutable law in your opinion), and will only give them unwinnable battles if they happen to fall below the arbitrary line of how powerful you think they should be. And then when they die, you blame them instead of your own shitty DMing because you refused to adjust your encounters at all so your PCs could have fun.

Where's the logic in that?

Isn't the first goal of the DM to make sure people have fun? But apparently you say "fuck that, the encounter building guidelines are LAW!"

What do you think is going to happen if you break them anyway? Last I heard Monte Cook's secret D&D police got disbanded.
So in other words, because your players are competent they get rewarded less. Fuck you, fuck your game, and fuck your lies. What are you, the mother fucking communist of D&D?
No, they're really not. In D&D you get less XP for being better. That's the spirit of the rules. The lower the difficulty of the encounter relative to you, the less you get. The more difficult the encounter, the more XP you get. Now, they expect that level is going to be a good indicator for power. However, as we know in 3.5, this assumption is flawed.

My basic DMing theory is that I'm going to challenge whatever character someone brings to my table. Just like I'm not going to toss totally unwinnable stuff at a weak party, I'm not going to let an optimized party have a total cakewalk. If you're playing Superman, you're going to get Superman villains, and I don't feel like you should get any more XP for a challenging fight than the guys who aren't optimized. They had just as tough a time as you did.

Now, you'll find better treasure from those more powerful stuff that you kill, but the XP values are going to treat you as though you were a few levels higher, because that's where your relative power level is. And I don't see why DMs should feel slaved to rewarding PCs as though it was a tough encounter when the battle was really easy. And I don't mean it was easy in the sense that the PCs got fantastically lucky, I mean that the enemy was just plain outmatched mechanically. I don't advocate giving less XP for the PCs having good tactics or good luck. I do however advocate treating them as higher/lower level if they're mechanically better/worse than where the rules expect them to be. If you can easily beat the same game challenge, then you're not going to be treated like you're playing the same game. Similarly if you lose every battle, you're also going to be treated like you're playing a different game.

And from a practical standpoint, that's a good idea because otherwise it leads to a bad spiral as underpowered characters can barely level at all, while min/maxed characters are leveling super fast. Neither is good for the game.
Last edited by RandomCasualty2 on Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:42 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Psychic Robot wrote: JE: How in the world were you outdamaging that warforged? That build does a lot of damage even without Shock Trooper/Combat Brute cheese.
The player generally didn't really make good choices. Even the build for Juggerzerker was one that I suggested, and helped them with finding. On the other hand they had already found WF Juggernaut, and hadn't thought to combine it with Frenzied Berzerker, on a character who already had 'rage' as an ability.

More details about that game.
The player sucked..... a lot. He made poor tactical decisions almost every round.

And made worse strategic decisions at every opportunity he could make a choice.
At the lowest seeming point; the DM suggested a Warforged "Feat", that allowed the Warforged to take 1d4 Electricity damage, in order to deal 1d6 Electricity damage when striking with a Slam attack.

Yes, this was seriously a feat. It was insulting. It's an addon, or item, or upgrade, but it's certainly no 'feat'. Of his 'feat' resource, 1/7 was spent on what is the equivalent of a 'vicious' electrical upgrade to a natural weapon.

Seriously, the only reason he kept up at all.... was because we had talked about what we could do for his character to deal more damage, and move faster, and other useful things. So I said that I'd check the CO boards for a build for a Warforged Fighter/Barbarian; and printed off the JuggerZerker build. Then he, and I approached the DM with the character build idea; and made sure that the DM approved it.

I didn't want him to be left behind, and the party did need someone that could lunge into melee and not have the party worry b/c he was both able to be fixed by a lot of the rest of the party; and because he generally wouldn't die in one round while distracting the enemy in the early rounds.

Even with no advice from me, there were other players that would have given him pointers . the worst that he would have is take more levels of WF Juggernaut than would have been appropriate. Which isn't too bad.
My own damage was based on spending 2-3 rounds casting damage buff spells.
On top of on-going longer duration spells. Basically a cleric archer; except that I burned rounds in combat buffing up; and I used melee. I realize how dumb that is, but only at this point in time. Back then i figured it was fine. I was so wrong.

I ended up using a Bronzewood Bastard sword with Spikes, Holy Sword in most fights; stacking on the "bite of the Were [creature]"; and Bless/Recitation/Haste being cast in the 1st round every fight (Cleric/Archivist/Divine Bard; all using scrolls). With a Divine Power, my character's BaB was the same as the Warforged. If I really had a lot of time to prepare; casting of enlarge person, then chain-casting girallon's blessing + fuse arms (+2 sets of arms; fuse 3 sets of arms at once) to get a massive str was something else that I tried out.

Honestly, most of my character's 'tricks' were one-shot deals. I'd do something once, then try to find a new tactic. With the exception of buffs, invisibity sphere + silence to help the party sneak around enemy infested areas; and Call Lighting; there were few spells that I used frequently; and SoDs were almost never used by my character.

The last thing that I had started to try was going to be 'Summoning'. At level 7, you could summon a few very large creatures; and we had picked up a wand of "maximize spell". My idea was to lower the 'level' of SM4 or SNA4; to summon 3 creatures from one step lower; since the rod of maximize spell would max the d3 rolls.
On the other hand, I played that character very recklessly, and he would get dropped by monsters. Actually, a lot of us played recklessly. If we didn't have a bunch of Wands of Lesser Vigour at our disposal we seriously wouldn't have been able to do some things.
In the 'level 6' temple; there was a "fire trap" that burned a ring of fire around a stone pedestal that carried a magic 'eye' or something.

The Ninja failed to pull off the DC 32 or so needed to spot the trap (that means a +22 modifier, if you're expected to notice that 50% of the time; the most you can reasonabley get at that time is...+9 (ranks); +3 (stat); +5 (Eyes of the Eagle); so a +17 at most; meaning that only a roll of 15+ would let him spot it.

Then the trap got him, for 20-30 some-odd damage. Since just fiddling with a trap can set it off if you fail by more than 5. Wand of Lesser Vigour topped him off.

I think that he got hit by the trap twice, before he got lucky and popped it open. As long as his HP was full between damage taken, he would 'eventually' have solved the trap problem.

That's what I mean by recklessly. We were willing to try anything, as long as we didn't actually get killed in one shot. Even then, that wasn't a big deal. We had one or two Diamonds for Revivify, meaning that we would be able to bring someone back, even if they die.

My character went into the negatives once; and died an other time (due to not having AC in the mid 40's :roll:; I didn't have miss-chance, as Invist, and later Greater Invis would have been a more reasonable spell to cast when I was just buffing up, and then charging in after a pair of rounds.

The Warforged Fighter was decided upon to 'examine' a door. There was a Wail of the Banshee trap on the door; he didn't make his save, but a Revivify sorted him out just right.
We even did our best to not have to kill any of our enemies.
Often, we'd just imprison them with a room, whose door was narrowed down with Stone Shape, or we'd tie them up, and bring them with us.

I think that I've got a thing about not killing, if I don't have to. I don't mind killing in a game, but I want to always try and see if I can resolve something without a fight starting. I find that it's a lot more challenging to try.
At 'higher' levels, Death is truly a status effect,
As the characters could carry items that can Resurrect you in "Combat

Time" (so long as if used immediately after you die).

That sort of sounds like Phoenix Down. >_> Whatever.

The DM?
In any case, the DM was largely at fault for a lot of this.

He really didn't make the transition from 2e to 3.5, or something; or he wasn't good about noticing details; because he played his other characters pretty well in games that I ran. As a result he thought that things like say..... Spellcasting, from different classes, would stack. So, a level of Druid, and a level of Cleric, would add on top of each other. or that a character could 'access' the Sun Domain (instead of have a cleric with the Sun domain on their list of spell Domains).
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Anguirus
Journeyman

Post by Anguirus »

Murtak wrote: That turns it into a calculated gamble. In a DnD that doesn't work because everything drops fast. In 4th it might work, seeing as you could be reasonably certain to actually get your good ability. Of course you are now stuck with fighters never using their lesser powers.
I'm trying to strike a balance between never using your lesser abilities and never using your good abilities. I just don't really know where the line between 'gently encourage martial characters to save their resources for later' and 'make it so that only a fool would ever use their lesser abilities' is.
Murtak wrote: Then no one novas. Why would they intentionally waste resources? Why do you want to trick them into doing so?
I don't want anyone to intentionally waste resources. I want for it to be a valid and advisable tactic for casters to use all of their daily abilities in the first few encounters. I don't want to be as heavy handed as 'you only have like three daily abilities and then an at will. Your daily is uber and your at will is sub par.' but it is the only thing I can think of to encourage novaing. That's why I came here looking for advice; because I'm bad at things.
Murtak
Duke

Post by Murtak »

Anguirus wrote:
Murtak wrote:That turns it into a calculated gamble. In a DnD that doesn't work because everything drops fast. In 4th it might work, seeing as you could be reasonably certain to actually get your good ability. Of course you are now stuck with fighters never using their lesser powers.
I'm trying to strike a balance between never using your lesser abilities and never using your good abilities. I just don't really know where the line between 'gently encourage martial characters to save their resources for later' and 'make it so that only a fool would ever use their lesser abilities' is.
Winds of Change is one method, setting up super moves is another. Your charge-meter idea doesn't, unless you manage to find the sweet spot where the tradeoff is balanced - in which case there is no smart play left. In other words: don't do it. There are better ways to get to where you want to go.

Anguirus wrote:
Murtak wrote:Then no one novas. Why would they intentionally waste resources? Why do you want to trick them into doing so?
I don't want anyone to intentionally waste resources. I want for it to be a valid and advisable tactic for casters to use all of their daily abilities in the first few encounters.
Just do nothing. Really. Right now you are saying "I want my players to play smart". You only get issues when you want them to not play smart or when the smart plan doesn't fit the genre. If you say you like your casters to pick a fight to dominate and eventually to run out of mojo the only thing you conceivably need to look at is removing methods to end the workday, so the "running out of mojo"-part comes into play.
Last edited by Murtak on Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Murtak
Anguirus
Journeyman

Post by Anguirus »

Murtak wrote: Winds of Change is one method, setting up super moves is another. Your charge-meter idea doesn't, unless you manage to find the sweet spot where the tradeoff is balanced - in which case there is no smart play left. In other words: don't do it. There are better ways to get to where you want to go.
Winds of Change? Super moves doesn't really work in that it is not transferable from one encounter to another. I want martial characters to actually improve as the work day goes on so as to encourage the party to not stop and rest.
Murtak wrote: Just do nothing. Really. Right now you are saying "I want my players to play smart". You only get issues when you want them to not play smart or when the smart plan doesn't fit the genre. If you say you like your casters to pick a fight to dominate and eventually to run out of mojo the only thing you conceivably need to look at is removing methods to end the workday, so the "running out of mojo"-part comes into play.
Good point. I need to find an effective way of allowing the martial character's abilities to become more relevant as the wizard's become less relevant and come up with another system to prevent ending the work day and I think we're where I want to be for the most part.
Murtak
Duke

Post by Murtak »

Anguirus wrote:I want martial characters to actually improve as the work day goes on so as to encourage the party to not stop and rest.
And that leads to those new and improved abilities being spammed, which you don't want. You say you want your martial characters to have new / better powers in the second encounter of the day. Fine. I think that is bad design but I'm willing to discuss it. But then you say you don't want them to only use those new and improved powers and you also don't want to limit those new powers in when they can be used.

If you combine those statements they say: I want my players to be stupid.
Murtak
Anguirus
Journeyman

Post by Anguirus »

Murtak wrote: And that leads to those new and improved abilities being spammed, which you don't want. You say you want your martial characters to have new / better powers in the second encounter of the day. Fine. I think that is bad design but I'm willing to discuss it. But then you say you don't want them to only use those new and improved powers and you also don't want to limit those new powers in when they can be used.

If you combine those statements they say: I want my players to be stupid.
I want there to be times where it is the smart play to use your shittier powers. I imagine that sometimes it would make sense to use your shittier powers because even though they are more expensive in a relative sense they are cheaper in an absolute sense. Using a mid-level power, for example, to put a finish to an injured enemy for whom an even more expensive power would be overkill is the sort of scenario I want to encourage. Most of the time your better powers are a smarter use of resources but sometimes they are not.
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

First of all, Revivify doesn't work on anything Raise Dead cannot bring you back from. Like [Death] effects.

Now to go back to smiting imbeciles.
RandomCasualty2 wrote:But the battle that you want to make unwinnable is in fact not some battle you foolishly proceeded into, but in fact the standard battles of the quest. Because you're saying if you can't beat even CR threats, then you're just fucked. And you are apparently against changing the quest so the PCs are fighting stuff that's 2-3 CR under what they're supposed to be fighting.
Attempting to fight with such a gimp ass group can certainly be argued to be foolish. However you are again sexually molesting a straw man.
So literally the PCs cannot play at your table without getting fucked over. Because you are adamantly opposed to giving them a quest they can actually accomplish (the encounter guidelines are immutable law in your opinion), and will only give them unwinnable battles if they happen to fall below the arbitrary line of how powerful you think they should be. And then when they die, you blame them instead of your own shitty DMing because you refused to adjust your encounters at all so your PCs could have fun.

Where's the logic in that?
Or they can just stop sucking or at least stop expecting me to not only justify their sucking, but encourage them to be as incompetent as possible since the more they suck, the easier their fights get for the same rewards.

No wonder you like fellating 4.Fail so much. You cannot handle basic concepts like 'level x ys should be able to do z'.

It's not even that hard to be level appropriate, all you have to do is avoid the gimp classes, which if you're playing one I've already told you exactly what to do to stop sucking, so if you don't do it it's entirely your fault. If you cannot put it even a little effort to make yourself viable, I am not even going to consider adding warping the entire campaign world around you to the long list of things I already have to do as a DM to justify your suck - especially since that's even more insulting than just letting you get mulched by a Flayer. If I were going the route of 'humiliate the player at every turn' instead of giving them gimp ass mobs to deal with, I would just face hump them or do something similarly disgusting straight off of some FPS.
Isn't the first goal of the DM to make sure people have fun? But apparently you say "fuck that, the encounter building guidelines are LAW!"
So you entitle disruptive players? Remind me to join one of your games and attempt to kill/burn/rape every NPC I find. After all, I'm just trying to have fun right?*
No, they're really not. In D&D you get less XP for being better. That's the spirit of the rules. The lower the difficulty of the encounter relative to you, the less you get. The more difficult the encounter, the more XP you get. Now, they expect that level is going to be a good indicator for power. However, as we know in 3.5, this assumption is flawed.
Level 8 party vs routine encounter = 600 XP each.

Level 8 party vs level 5 trash mobs = 200 XP each.

So let's see... giving the party a third as much XP, and a little under half as much treasure per battle... yeah, that's pretty fucking insulting. And treating the gimp ass mobs as if they were a credible threat, and giving them rewards as if they were level 8 accordingly is even more so. Both of these are more insulting than just throwing a level 8 encounter at the level 8s, and when they die pointing out they were supposed to be able to handle this easily and could have had they actually taken the advice I gave them so this is entirely their fault.

It's also worth mentioning that since the low level trash mobs have over twice as much loot, they just became harder anyways. But not nearly as much as actually being level appropriate.

After all, what happens when they notice?

Player: Hey, how come we're leveling so slowly? It will take 40 of these battles to level up instead of 13 and a third?

DM: Well, since you're so weak, I'm having to throw stuff far below your level at you so you have any chance of survival...

Or alternately...

Player: You know, something doesn't seem right here about these encounters...

DM: Yeah, they're easy in every respect except rewards which are treated as normal, because I know you can't handle what you're actually supposed to.

Oh and it gets worse if they find out on their own, and not because the DM told them.

Treating adults and teenagers as if they were small children is a Very Bad Idea. You are actively making the D&D community worse by encouraging rather than correcting bad and lazy habits, and annoying blame shifting behavior. What's more, you are actively making the fucking WORLD worse for many of the same reasons... just take a look around you, see how many cannot take responsibility for their own actions. You are teaching them it is someone else's problem to look out for their own best interests.

Fuck that noise, and fuck you for making it.

* - I don't actually have any interest in killing or burning NPCs without a good in game reason, or raping them at all. However doing that is as least as disruptive to play as expecting the entire game world to warp around you and justify your suck because in effective you are expecting the game world to warp around you, just for a different reason (expecting people to react reasonably to your Murderous Pyromanic Rapist instead of expecting your gimp not to get gibbed when he continuously enters combat). I would go so far as to take MPR into my game before some whiner gimp, because at least then when he dies it's because he's singled out for an in game reason, and not just Red Shirted off by a routine encounter. Which means the problem solves itself faster.

One more thing. I've been there before. Group that can't handle routine encounters. So they have plenty of warning that they're about to fight some casters that pretty much do nothing but fire evocations, no tricks and almost no defenses. Remember, plenty of warning. And they're all agile sorts, so higher reflex saves and touch AC than the norm. They go in there anyways. One dies to a Fireball + Scorching Ray.

Now here's where the Fail starts. While the player who got selected for that by IC actions didn't complain, several others whose characters got off with some meaningless HP damage started whining at me to essentially let him cheat and not die, ignoring my statements that it would devalue the game, and ignoring HIS protests that it would do the same.

Ok, so now the whole fucking game has to stop while I have to make up some contrived reason as to why he's coming back, because basically the whole group decided to stop until he did. I also have to make up some contrived reason as to how he's getting back, since there was no one anywhere nearby that could revive him. Congrats, that damages the game. Not nearly as bad as doing some of the things suggested by the whiners (having him automatically survive at -17, or get saved by some random super NPC) but closer than I'd like.

Then the game gets damaged more when the newly revived PC gets an easy solo quest that gets him a uber airship and an easy way to continue the game... but loses to some fucking warrior 1s. Or maybe it was warrior 2s. Point is they died in 1 hit from pretty much anything.

More contrived bullshit to justify weak characters, though in this case he had taken my advice and fixed his build... but that whole 50% chance of losing any given spell slot thing resulted in him losing many of his spell slots. So this one could just be chalked up to bad luck, but even so it's some dumbass mooks... it literally doesn't get weaker than that.

Group finally reunites, but at this point it's clear they cannot handle combat at all, and can't really do non combat either... but they want to do both of these things.

Yeah, epic fail. And this is why I refuse to allow anyone who cannot take responsibility for their own actions and character in my games in the future. Especially since one of the most common end complaints I got is that 'the NPCs are doing everything'... when all of the ones that engage in combat are at most, their level - 2 and often lower and are just basic Rogues with no tricks at best shooting fuckers with a crossbow or stabbing them with a rapier. And they aren't even there at all unless the battlefield pops up near them, it's not like they're just showing up.

So that can be considered my new rule. If you cannot casually outclass a completely uncreative Rogue of cohort level and NPC wealth, you can't play until you can. Saves everyone a lot of headaches.
Draco_Argentum wrote:
Mister_Sinister wrote:Clearly, your cock is part of the big barrel the server's busy sucking on.
Juton wrote:Damn, I thought [Pathfailure] accidentally created a feat worth taking, my mistake.
Koumei wrote:Shad, please just punch yourself in the face until you are too dizzy to type. I would greatly appreciate that.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type I - doing exactly the opposite of what they said they would do.
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

Why are you still arguing over competency balancing?

The OP says he wants Fighters to suck compared to wizards early adventure then wizards to suck compared to fighters later adventure.

That basic scale of suck is irrelevant to on the fly balancing based on player competency.

Because unless the the on the fly balancing fails (couldn't possibly happen, GMs are godlike right?) you are retaining that comparative suckage as part of your (ass first) design goals.

If everyone sucks because of competency issues the fighters STILL relatively suck more at first and the wizards STILL relatively suck more later.

Which is unacceptable and why the OP thinks "look just ignore the bit where it's a massively stupid idea and pretend it's a good idea and discuss it's implementation with me even though I remain utterly schizophrenic over that too" will work I don't know.

Discussion over.
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

I'm arguing about it because it is marginally more productive, useful, and generally applicable than what the OP has to say. After all, there are honestly more than about two people in the world that think someone else should be responsible for their actions. This is not true for those who think they should sit half the game out or more.
Draco_Argentum wrote:
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

Wait, so there's something wrong with a game where the PCs aren't facing equal-CR opposition? What's the problem with putting a level 8 party against 12 CR 2s and one CR 4? Since I'm planning a game where that specifically will happen ( http://tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=50233 ), if there's some dire sin I'm committing, I'd like to know.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

It's not inappropriate CR that's the problem, but inappropriate EL.

And that's an approximately EL 9-10 encounter, and therefore appropriate for a level 8 party.

The problem is that when using lots of low CRs, you are advised by the DMG to ascertain that the low CRs will live up to their implied EL threat by not all dieing in a single AoE attack or hitting only on a 20.

Assumably, that encounter is balanced appropriately that the group lives up to it's implied EL. Or be treated as a lower EL encounter.

If your party walks in and drops them all with no resources expenditure, then yes, that was a failed encounter, in the sense that it did not actually represent an EL threat at all.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
RandomCasualty2
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty2 »

Roy wrote: Or they can just stop sucking or at least stop expecting me to not only justify their sucking, but encourage them to be as incompetent as possible since the more they suck, the easier their fights get for the same rewards.
Not really. The challenge level always stays constant, so the fights don't become "easier."

The idea is that the game doesn't become easier or harder because you happen to suck or happen to be awesome. If you're Superman, you get superman villains. If you're batman, you get batman villains.
It's not even that hard to be level appropriate, all you have to do is avoid the gimp classes,
Oh bullshit Roy. Even playing a wizard, I've seen a lot of people suck, simply because their spell selection is a bunch of fireballs. Druids are complex to play even because you have to understand how polymorph works (Most players honestly don't). To be good at 3E, it requires a lot of rules mastery. Mastery a newbie just isn't going to have. It does everything possible to really obscure what spells are good too. Tossing magic sparkly dust and throwing rainbows at people is superior to throwing rays of fire and electrifying people.

The game literally does everything it can to confuse a newbie.

So you entitle disruptive players? Remind me to join one of your games and attempt to kill/burn/rape every NPC I find. After all, I'm just trying to have fun right?*
Yeah, nice strawman. People playing weak characters aren't disruptive. They're just inexperienced players.

Level 8 party vs routine encounter = 600 XP each.

Level 8 party vs level 5 trash mobs = 200 XP each.

So let's see... giving the party a third as much XP, and a little under half as much treasure per battle... yeah, that's pretty fucking insulting. And treating the gimp ass mobs as if they were a credible threat, and giving them rewards as if they were level 8 accordingly is even more so.
Against weak people, they seriously are a credible threat.

Oh and it gets worse if they find out on their own, and not because the DM told them.
You know, I'm pretty sure most PCs aren't as obsessed with meeting the arbitrary DMG guidelines as you are. It's funny how you talk like it's some mortal sin to find out that your DM has scaled down the encounters so as not to TPK your party.

Dude, you honestly have to stop adhering to the DMG like it was some holy text. It's just laughably pathetic.

I mean you're not even talking about rules, you're talking about guidelines.

You are actively making the D&D community worse by encouraging rather than correcting bad and lazy habits, and annoying blame shifting behavior.
Um... right. I'm making the community worse by not TPKing newbies in a Gygaxian fashion and then blaming them, so that they probably never return to my game and may give up the hobby altogether.

Roy, you're so full of shit.
Group finally reunites, but at this point it's clear they cannot handle combat at all, and can't really do non combat either... but they want to do both of these things.
The only time you're took weak is if you literally can't take on anything at all from the MM. I don't mean of their level, I mean literally any monster. Otherwise it's not hard to just scale back the difficulty. In fact, fighting a bunch of gimps is often easier, because you're going to not use save or dies and just use damage effects, which makes it fairly easy to determine a winner. The biggest problems I find are when you play with optimized characters, because everything they face needs to be a glass cannon like they are. And the chances of them getting unlucky are very high. Hell, one optimized wizard can TPK an entire group in a single surprise round.

Not to mention designing encounters for optimized people who are over the CR they're supposed to be takes more time.
Last edited by RandomCasualty2 on Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

Avoraciopoctules wrote:Wait, so there's something wrong with a game where the PCs aren't facing equal-CR opposition? What's the problem with putting a level 8 party against 12 CR 2s and one CR 4? Since I'm planning a game where that specifically will happen ( http://tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=50233 ), if there's some dire sin I'm committing, I'd like to know.
This encounter is flawed not because the whole is too low a level, but because the individual enemies are so low a level so as to be practically a non threat. Granted, they're one level short of Cloudkill which would just turn this encounter the fuck off, but even so there are plenty of things a level 8 can do that will slaughter an arbitrarily large number of level 2 enemies. And 4s might make them blink once. Maybe. Even junk like Fireball is good against stuff much lower level.

Regardless, that wasn't what RC was saying. What RC was saying is that it's not enough for the DM to run the entire world - PCs and direct supporting cast (cohort, animal companion, etc), he should be making the entire world warp around the PCs, because they're too gimpy to do the things they're supposed to, and it's even more insulting when you illustrate this by making them fight nothing but low XP low loot trash mobs, or treat the same as if they were actually credible threats because the PCs themselves are trash mobs. In other words, he's a lazy useless fucker who makes games objectively worse just by being there.

Edit: Now he ninjaed this post, but it was just more of his blame shifting whining drivel. He's probably one of the idiots who goes around making characters with minimal con and high mental stats (unless a caster, then they have high physical stats instead) who harps about how great a basket weaver they are, when the only reason the group is keeping them around is for in game sexual pleasure, or some similar laughable reason. Why else would he be so adamant on justifying willful incompetence? It's not as if they don't actually know what they're doing - they either do, or they will after it's explained to them. And it's not as if even new players have a hard time figuring out what works since a Druid who takes the only Druid specific feat in the PHB or a Wizard who does anything but HP damage is pretty much automatically awesome. Seriously, it's one fucking sentence. 'Don't use Evocation, it sucks.' or 'Take the Druid specific feat, and use it.' or even 'Don't heal as a Cleric in battle.' And perhaps that is behind his reading comprehension, and the reading comprehension of his groups he condescends with LOL TRASH MOBS but it is not beyond the reading comprehension of any sane human being who is over the age of 5.

...RC, fuck you for insulting us all by insinuating everyone else is as dumb as you. And while I'm smiting away at the imbecile...

Anyone else think that's the reason why he likes 4.Fail? After all, it's pretty fucking condescending as well. Even many of the fanboys admit this. And if you've ever seen a 4.Fail fanboy, you know how hard it is to get them to admit anything is wrong with their spechul game.
Last edited by Roy on Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Draco_Argentum wrote:
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

So, if one PC is a Fighter 4 / Warmage 4, it will probably take about 2 combat spells to eliminate a group of enemy Warrior and Adept 4s. That's an expenditure of resources, so it probably works. The Warriors have enough of a hit bonus from Expendable that they can probably hurt the group, so if I limit healing resources or time, the group still loses something if they charge into melee or shoot eldritch blasts and bullets from range. Thanks.
violence in the media
Duke

Post by violence in the media »

RandomCasualty2 wrote: Not to mention designing encounters for optimized people who are over the CR they're supposed to be takes more time.
Trotting out that old chestnut again? Don't you already have like 3 threads or something that you've taken over with this particular beef recently?
Last edited by violence in the media on Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shau
Knight-Baron

Post by shau »

RandomCasualty2 wrote:Druids are complex to play even because you have to understand how polymorph works (Most players honestly don't).
Most designers don't either.
NativeJovian
Journeyman

Post by NativeJovian »

Roy wrote:What RC was saying is that it's not enough for the DM to run the entire world - PCs and direct supporting cast (cohort, animal companion, etc), he should be making the entire world warp around the PCs
The DM already does this. Unless you're running a module, the DM is already making up every situation the PCs find themselves in. It's seriously not hard to throw a CR 6 encounter at them instead of a CR 8.
Roy wrote:because they're too gimpy to do the things they're supposed to
The fact that an underpowered class can't compete against "level-appropriate" encounters is a failure of the class design, not the player playing that class. Punishing someone for playing an underpowered class is bad -- punishing an entire party who effectively agree to play underpowered classes is unforgivable.

Seriously, some players want to play a character that hits people to death with a sword and that's it, not one that casts spells. Not even one that casts spells to make them awesome and then hits people to death with a sword. Is there something wrong with that, just because the designers made it so that sword-hitter classes can't compete with spell-caster classes? You dismiss the entire notion as "basket-weaving", but some people legitimately care more about "I'm playing a knight with heavy armor and a greatsword!" than "I'm playing a level 12 who can win CR 15 encounters singlehandedly!". And that's fine, they're allowed to do that if that's what they want, as long as the rest of the party is cool with that (ie they're not the only Fighter in a group of CoDzillas).

It's not "insulting" to face encounters that are well-balanced for your power level. It's not "insulting" when the DM tailors the encounters to the PCs. It's far more insulting to run up against encounters way over your head and then have the DM yell at you for sucking because he's insistent on relying on an arbitrary measure of how powerful you "should" instead of looking at how powerful you actually are.

The fact that you and your players are playing the powergaming version of D&D is fine. The fact that other people don't play that version, and actually have fun playing in a party of fighters and monks and bards, is fine too. If they enjoy it, who cares? It's a bloody game, not a test to see how well you can manipulate the system.
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

Do we need a competency balancing thread?

I think we need a competency balancing thread. I'm off to do that.