News that makes us laugh, cry, or both

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

Kaelik wrote:
Maj wrote:And while I believe that the rights of gays are technically covered by that amendment, in practice, they are not recognized. I don't know if that's because of the heritage that homosexuality has as a mental disorder
??? I know you live in crazy land and obey the whims of crazy people who make a point of lying to you, but this is just weird.

heritage as a mental disorder? I can assure you that non Mormons don't think that. Like, even other crazy people who hate gays don't think it's a disorder.
Kaelik: You should probably think before you write. While it might be a little wordy, what Maj probably means is that until 1973 homosexuality was defined as a mental disorder by the American psychiatrical association and then again in 1975, the American psychological association did the same. Prior to this, it did hold the wrongful stigma of being a mental disorder. (Yay, History of psychology class ^-^)

This is the use of heritage that you need to look at. As in a inheritance of history.

Really, homosexuality conversion camps support the pre-75 DSM standards and use this pseudo-scientific garble as their orchestrating baton to try to "cure the gays."
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

Kaelik wrote:
shadzar wrote:
She said the Supreme Court ruled in 1967 "that the government cannot tell people who they can and cannot marry."
If that is true, why are people even voting on gay marriage anywhere, since they have no say and the ruling has been made? Are there more hanging chads that need to be counted or something? How can there be debate about something the Supreme Court already decided? (or is that ruling for the LA Supreme Court only?)
LA doesn't have a Supreme Court. But they are in fact talking about the US Supreme Court, not the California one
You might want to read the article and check the punctuation.

L.A. = Los Angeles

LA is the two letter assignment for the state of Louisiana.
NEW ORLEANS – A Louisiana justice of the peace said he refused to issue a marriage license to an interracial couple
Louisiana doesn't have a supreme court?
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

No, Louisiana does have its Supreme Court.

-Crissa
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

A_Cynic wrote:
Kaelik wrote:
Maj wrote:And while I believe that the rights of gays are technically covered by that amendment, in practice, they are not recognized. I don't know if that's because of the heritage that homosexuality has as a mental disorder
??? I know you live in crazy land and obey the whims of crazy people who make a point of lying to you, but this is just weird.

heritage as a mental disorder? I can assure you that non Mormons don't think that. Like, even other crazy people who hate gays don't think it's a disorder.
Kaelik: You should probably think before you write. While it might be a little wordy, what Maj probably means is that until 1973 homosexuality was defined as a mental disorder by the American psychiatrical association and then again in 1975, the American psychological association did the same. Prior to this, it did hold the wrongful stigma of being a mental disorder. (Yay, History of psychology class ^-^)

This is the use of heritage that you need to look at. As in a inheritance of history.

Really, homosexuality conversion camps support the pre-75 DSM standards and use this pseudo-scientific garble as their orchestrating baton to try to "cure the gays."
I am well aware that once upon a time, it was classified as a mental disorder because people had already decided that gay people are bad. I am also aware that even when it was, people didn't actually believe it was one any more than they believed being black was a mental (or physical) disorder. If you asked bob fucker the asshole redneck in 1972-73, if being gay is a mental disorder, he would say no.

Which is my point. For Maj to pretend that what happened was Mormon Joe heard that being gay is a mental disorder, and then started hating gays is fucking retarded ass backwards lying to excuse people.

People decided they hated gays first, as morally inferior people because stodgy old people told them that god told them so, and then, as a consequence of 90% of everyone hating gays (even the most of the gays) the APA put it as a mental disorder to appeal to popular conceptions.

It's 'heritage as a mental disorder' has exactly 0% to do with people hating gays or denying rights (which only ever occurs because they hate gays, let's be clear about that). It's heritage as something that people hate has to do with why people hate things.

To borrow from another issue in this thread. It's not the heritage of laws 'protecting the children of interracial couples' (By not letting interracial couples exist) that leads to people being against interracial couples. It's filthy racists that leads to people being against interracial couples. And pretending that all the asshole fuckers who voted X on prop 8 even knew that being gay had ever been classified as a mental disorder is just Maj trying to excuse her religion full of asshole bigots who hate gays because they are bigots in a bigoted church, rather than because they really believe that the APA was super smart in 1972 but got stupid since then.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

Crissa wrote:No, Louisiana does have its Supreme Court.

-Crissa
Ok scared me there for a minute...But it was the US Supreme Court that made the earlier statement spoken of right?

They were just talking with the man/groom on CNN calling for the judge to be removed.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Ummm... Yes. The Loving vs Virginia decision is pretty much a sound watershed in the federal view of how to deal with social change. The decision hinged upon two facets as the judicial test: Breadth of acceptance of the idea, and individual freedom.

The courts since have consistently ruled against gay rights saying that it hasn't been accepted in enough places yet.

-Crissa
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Draco wrote:Of course you probably donate money to your church, thereby providing material support to the enemy.
I don't, actually. Which means I don't get to go to the temple and wear special undies. I also don't want my son to be baptized into the church when he's eight. I want him to choose if that's his thing when he's older (religious outings for churches of all kinds are de rigueur in my household, just like cultural activities and educational activities). And if he chooses no church, that's fine, too.

My personal beliefs include a Christian god, but are not limited to it, so I attend church for selfish reasons - I enjoy it. I find church relaxing and welcoming. I enjoy my friends there. My son gets a chance to deal with floods of people for a short period of time and then it's over. And most of the people there are people that I would prefer he be with (over many of the people in my neighborhood). There are a lot of children his age, too.

But I have issues with the Mormon church. I don't blindly accept all of their doctrine, and I certainly don't accept the same political views of the majority of attendees. As a very inactive member for over fifteen years, with a husband who hasn't been a member for most of his life, I don't have the same fear of the outside world that the sheltered members of the church here have. I also am a different kind of mom than the mothers there, and I can only handle small doses of Mormon momness before I have to excuse myself (To be fair, though, this is not really Mormon-specific; I was just raised weird). And I hate Jello.
Draco wrote:PS: Whats up with the seniors part of the law?
Many senior citizens have benefits that would be denied them if they remarried, so they choose to live in a domestic partnership. But they don't have rights like the ability to be with their partners in the case of illness, or the ability to claim their partner's body for funeral purposes - and this is the group of people who really need to have those rights. Affirming this law would allow them to have the rights of married couples without losing their benefits and such.
Kaelik wrote:For Maj to pretend that what happened was Mormon Joe heard that being gay is a mental disorder, and then started hating gays is fucking retarded ass backwards lying to excuse people.
I have no idea how you got that from what I said. It literally sounds like you hate me and are making things up.
Kaelik wrote:And pretending that all the asshole fuckers who voted X on prop 8 even knew that being gay had ever been classified as a mental disorder is just Maj trying to excuse her religion full of asshole bigots who hate gays because they are bigots in a bigoted church, rather than because they really believe that the APA was super smart in 1972 but got stupid since then.
Since my post didn't mention Mormons, or Proposition 8, or excusing the horridly bigotted behavior of the Mormons in California in the voting on that Proposition, I'm a little confused. And in the effort to clear up that confusion, I'm going to quote what I said:
Maj wrote:And while I believe that the rights of gays are technically covered by that amendment, in practice, they are not recognized. I don't know if that's because of the heritage that homosexuality has as a mental disorder (and thus not a "natural" state of being), if it's fear - most failures of civility are because someone's hysterical about a different group of people for whatever reason, be they women, black, teenagers, whatever - or if it's something else.
There is a legacy in this country against gays, much like there is a legacy in this country of hating black people. I don't know if the source of the anti-gay attitude stems from the idea that many eligible voters were raised with the notion that being gay was a mental problem (and thus treatable/cured), or from fear (you can simplify this to hate because that's the net effect), or from something else (maybe even a combination of the two).

I seriously hear shit like "Kosher is a kind of Jew," "no one lived in Israel before it was a country," and "Obama must be Muslim because his name sounds like Osama" from my step-mother. She really is that retarded. Just like we've commonly acknowledged in other threads all over these boards, people who grow up with a given set of ideas frequently don't ever stop to question them and live their whole lives without giving the notion of "black people are poor and on welfare" or "marrying an Italian Catholic will send my son to hell" or "marijuana is a gateway drug" or "being gay is a disease" a second thought.

And these people are still alive and still eligible to vote (ie: they were born and raised before 1972). It's not necessarily out of malice that they vote - it's out of ignorance. Why give gays special rights to marry? We don't give it to depressed people. Or manic-depressives. Or schizophrenics.

The idea that gay people are not unnatural has yet to sink in - and probably won't. And while I won't go so far as to wish that they all drop dead soon so that mentality will go away, I do have hope that the younger generations of voters never recognize that kind of thinking as legit.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
CryptoSolipsist
1st Level

Post by CryptoSolipsist »

Maj wrote:I also don't want my son to be baptized into the church when he's eight. I want him to choose if that's his thing when he's older (religious outings for churches of all kinds are de rigueur in my household, just like cultural activities and educational activities). And if he chooses no church, that's fine, too.
Even though I consider myself a died-in-the-wool hardcore atheist til the day I die (being raised strictly Catholic will do that to ya) I find that we share the exact same attitude about raising and educating children. If I ever have kiddies of my own someday, I fully intend to educate them as much as possible about differing philosophies/religions/viewpoints, minimize my own personal value judgements, and let them make their own decisions about whether or not to attend church when they are of age.

So, thanks for this. It's nice to be reminded that not all church-goers are automatically nutjobs. You just made my day.
TavishArtair
Knight-Baron

Post by TavishArtair »

Maj wrote: people who grow up with a given set of ideas frequently don't ever stop to question them and live their whole lives without giving the notion of "black people are poor and on welfare" or "marrying an Italian Catholic will send my son to hell" or "marijuana is a gateway drug" or "being gay is a disease" a second thought.
Or "the fighter is an acceptable front-line character and the cleric just stays in the back and heals."

Sorry, had to. I'll go over there now and hide in the corner~
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

Crissa wrote:Ummm... Yes. The Loving vs Virginia decision is pretty much a sound watershed in the federal view of how to deal with social change. The decision hinged upon two facets as the judicial test: Breadth of acceptance of the idea, and individual freedom.

The courts since have consistently ruled against gay rights saying that it hasn't been accepted in enough places yet.

-Crissa
:confused: So because not everyone wants to marry as a gay couple, it doesn't have enough interest?

Not everyone likes McDonalds so maybe they should close them all down. Better yet, not every believes in land, or sales tax (when combined with income tax) so they should get rid of those.

Bitching about thing they are afraid of or don't like seems all the US can do, rather than like me say fuck it cause it isn't my business what other people do with their lives, if they stay off my grass. (Door to door salesmen get arrested for trespassing, including girl scouts. I can order my cookies online.)

So because a mass of christian bigots don't like it then nobody can do it? Then how has the Jewish faith and others been allowed for so long in this country?

Stupid shit, and the asshole politicians need to get over themselves, and allow it and pot sales. They could really use those taxes with the 1.46 trillion deficit we have from the pot-heads. Not to mention all the things that can be made from hemp otherwise as a sustainable crop.

I think we need a rule that those over 49 cannot be in a major government office, because they are outmoded in their thinking and a detriment to progress and/of society. :bash:
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

This is a good one, not a sad one. (well maybe sad for the current owner of homes....)

http://www.michaelmoore.com/words/lates ... reclosures

A Mass. Judge stated that homes foreclosed on since 1989 may be returned to the people that were foreclosed upon, because of faulty and fraudulent paperwork by Well Fargo and US Bank, among possible others.

Not that it helps me, but maybe it will work it's way down to fix other areas with more recent fraudulent foreclosures along the same vein where institutes failed to properly file when mortgages were bought and sold to other institutions without owner knowledge, or giving them a chance to do anything about it.

Congrats people of Mass., and sorry for those who bought foreclosed homes, but you get what you pay for, and better make sure the person who sold it to you legally owner it, otherwise it might as well be the same as buying stolen property.

I guess they could transfer any loans to another house. This will be an interesting one to watch and see if it can set a precedent to push things more to protecting the rights of borrowers from unscrupulous lenders.

:beer:
Play the game, not the rules.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
good read (Note to self Maxus sucks a barrel of cocks.)
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

Maj wrote:I don't, actually. Which means I don't get to go to the temple and wear special undies.
Oh, cool. Those special undies are the least stylish undergarments ever.

Heres one anyone from the UK should be made aware of. The injunctions over there are completely insane, this should really be an election issue.

The Minton Report
Wikileaks wrote:Updated October 15, 2009: The "Minton report" exposes a toxic waste dumping incident which hospitalized thousands. The UK media has been suppressed from referencing the report and its contents since a secret gag order was issued against it on September 11, 2009. The report was commissioned by Waterson & Hicks, a UK law firm acting for Trafigura, a multi-national oil and commodity trader. The report assesses a toxic dumping incident involving Trafigura and the Ivory Coast—possibly most culpable mass contamination incident since Bhopal. The UK media is currently unable to mention the URL "http://wikileaks.org/wiki/Minton" or anything else that would direct people towards the report.

An attempt by a member of parliament to subvert the gag order, by mentioning "Minton report", the date of the secret gag, and "Trafigura" in the House of Commons, lead to an major uproar on October 12 and 13, following an attempt by Trafigura to apply the gag order to parliamentary reporting (see this front page article in the Guardian newspaper).

The parliamentary quote concerned:

Paul Farrelly (Newcastle-under-Lyme) - To ask the Secretary of State for Justice, what assessment he has made of the effectiveness of legislation to protect (a) whistleblowers and (b) press freedom following the injunctions obtained in the High Court by (i) Barclays and Freshfields solicitors on 19 March 2009 on the publication of internal Barclays reports documenting alleged tax avoidance schemes and (ii) Trafigura and Carter-Ruck solicitors on 11 September 2009 on the publication of the Minton report on the alleged dumping of toxic waste in the Ivory Coast, commissioned by Trafigura.[1]

The UK press gag remains in effect. Incredibly, Trafigura's lawyers, Carter Ruck, are now attempting again to prevent parliamentary debate over the gag, this time by claiming sub-judice.

Please help the victims and the press undermine this unconscionable gag order, by spreading the URL "http://wikileaks.org/wiki/Minton".

See also Guardian still under secret toxic waste gag, Ivory Coast toxic dumping report behind secret Guardian gag and Barclays Bank gags Guardian over leaked memos detailing offshore tax scam, 16 Mar 2009.
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

http://www.critical-hits.com/2009/10/15 ... e-toolkit/

While wanting to get into the digital age and make good use of the web under the 4 parts of D&D (community, physical product, etc); WotC doesn't want anyone to use the internet to do anything with 4th edition outside of the fansite police or GSL, even if you don't agree with either, and the GSL doesn't even cover websites. So even posting your brand new monster online is a violation of the GSL and fansite policy, even if you never agred to or signed up with either of them.

:confused:
Wizards of the Coast: At this time, fans are allowed to use the assets provided in the Fan Site Kit, and they are allowed to create their own RPG material pursuant to the GSL. Anything beyond that is not expressly authorized by Wizards at this time.
Even home made material is subject to the GSL now? My "Sword of WotC Slaying" that gives push 3 and does normal weapon (type keyword, longsword damage), with stun status (vs Reflex) effect is required to follow the GSL even though I never signed a SOA to it?

WTF?!?!?!?!
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

shadzar wrote:http://www.critical-hits.com/2009/10/15 ... e-toolkit/

While wanting to get into the digital age and make good use of the web under the 4 parts of D&D (community, physical product, etc); WotC doesn't want anyone to use the internet to do anything with 4th edition outside of the fansite police or GSL, even if you don't agree with either, and the GSL doesn't even cover websites. So even posting your brand new monster online is a violation of the GSL and fansite policy, even if you never agred to or signed up with either of them.

:confused:
Wizards of the Coast: At this time, fans are allowed to use the assets provided in the Fan Site Kit, and they are allowed to create their own RPG material pursuant to the GSL. Anything beyond that is not expressly authorized by Wizards at this time.
Even home made material is subject to the GSL now? My "Sword of WotC Slaying" that gives push 3 and does normal weapon (type keyword, longsword damage), with stun status (vs Reflex) effect is required to follow the GSL even though I never signed a SOA to it?

WTF?!?!?!?!
I'm pretty sure they're now officially worse than being the Microsoft of the table top gaming industry....
Gelare
Knight-Baron

Post by Gelare »

Wizards of the Coast: Anything beyond that is not expressly authorized by Wizards at this time.
is different than
Wizards of the Coast: Anything beyond that is expressly not authorized by Wizards at this time.
At any rate, I'm not sure all of that legal nonsense they're spewing is actually enforceable, and certainly no one over there gives a rat's ass about your custom sword of whatever.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

CryptoSolipsist wrote:Even though I consider myself a died-in-the-wool hardcore atheist til the day I die (being raised strictly Catholic will do that to ya) I find that we share the exact same attitude about raising and educating children. If I ever have kiddies of my own someday, I fully intend to educate them as much as possible about differing philosophies/religions/viewpoints, minimize my own personal value judgements, and let them make their own decisions about whether or not to attend church when they are of age.

So, thanks for this. It's nice to be reminded that not all church-goers are automatically nutjobs. You just made my day.
:)
TavishArtair wrote:Or "the fighter is an acceptable front-line character and the cleric just stays in the back and heals."

Sorry, had to. I'll go over there now and hide in the corner~
Now that's a mentality I wish would die.

shadzar wrote:A Mass. Judge stated that homes foreclosed on since 1989 may be returned to the people that were foreclosed upon, because of faulty and fraudulent paperwork by Well Fargo and US Bank, among possible others.
Oh, my... What about the people who now live in those homes?
shadzar wrote:Stupid shit, and the asshole politicians need to get over themselves, and allow it and pot sales. They could really use those taxes with the 1.46 trillion deficit we have from the pot-heads. Not to mention all the things that can be made from hemp otherwise as a sustainable crop.
Damn straight. Even if half the pot in the country was grown by people in their backyard, the US would still make money - if nothing else by not spending it to chase down pot-heads.
Draco wrote:Oh, cool. Those special undies are the least stylish undergarments ever.
I know, huh? My mom actually wears her late husband's sometimes because they keep her clothes from chafing her scars (she had open heart surgery before they stopped sawing your chest open and prying apart your ribs - bras are a bitch). But those undies will never be as sexy as Medieval garters and Enlightened corsets.

;)
Update courtesy of the Telegraph.
The totally work-safe article linked above wrote:A suppressed report which details how an oil company dumped toxic waste in Africa that may cause serious burns has been released following a parliamentary row over freedom of speech.

The report had been kept secret after Trafigura, one of the world’s largest independent oil trading firms, obtained a "super injunction" that threatened the centuries-old privilege of newspapers to report what MPs can say freely in the Commons.

On Friday night, as the High Court gagging order was lifted, senior figures at Trafigura admitted their approach may have been “heavy-handed” and insisted it had not been their intention to try to gag Parliament.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Homes and property are the only things which revert ownership to the prior owner when 'stolen' and re-sold, and the theif isn't the one responsible, the one holding it now is. It's what Title Companies are supposed to do.

However, it's obviously quite clear that the homes' value should be returned to the plaintiffs if the home itself is not available; and that this repatriation should come from the defrauding agent.

...Now if only our laws were written that way...

(I generally dislike property law, but I'm trying to buy a house right now, so I'm especially read up on it.)

-Crissa
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

It is about land dispute Crissa. That is the law that can go on for 20 years. So the old owner can get his land back, and if the new owner wants to keep the house, then they will have to move it? No. The house is a part of the land.

So the new owner is pretty much screwed because they cannot keep the house, and the old owner should have his property (house/land) returned, not just the monetary equivalent.

The current owner that may be being kicked out, on the other hand, will have to be compensated for the monetary value, since the person who sold it to them did not have the right to do so, and thus why the old owner gets it back.

The bank that sold it will be responsible, but the current resident of the home will have to find someplace else to go.

This is one of the problems with just treating houses and land they are own as a $. House should have no value, because they only have any REAL value to the people occupying them, but again greed has created an industry that shouldn't exist like the insurance industry...the housing industry. Neither product anything, they only take shit from people. Both need to be gotten rid of to prevent this stuff int he future.

Land needs to be owned by the state, not the cities. It should be bought from the state for use, not resale. When sold it should be sold back to the state. If a home is on the land, then the state should sell it as part of the land as a feature like a waterfall, or a tree.

The number of vacant houses in the US could house all the homeless in the US twice. That would mean the broken down/condemned houses could be skipped over and house each and every American if not for the greed factor to suck every penny form someone just for being forced into this world.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Shad, I was talking reality, not fantasy. Real law states that the person buying a property is responsible for any prior liens on the property. This case creates a real dangerous triangle of trouble for current and past owners in which the banks are responsible, but the law pits owner A against current owner C.

I know that we have more houses than people. That's irrelevant to the law discussion.

-Crissa
Data Vampire
Master

Post by Data Vampire »

Heath Robinson
Knight

Post by Heath Robinson »

http://bhascience.blogspot.com/2009/10/ ... ainty.html

Interesting reading, at least to me.
Face it. Today will be as bad a day as any other.
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

Crissa wrote:Shad, I was talking reality, not fantasy. Real law states that the person buying a property is responsible for any prior liens on the property. This case creates a real dangerous triangle of trouble for current and past owners in which the banks are responsible, but the law pits owner A against current owner C.

I know that we have more houses than people. That's irrelevant to the law discussion.

-Crissa
But that is the law, and why some banks halted sales and took things off the market, because the statue of limitations for land disputes is 20 years. This is what the judge said that all back to 1989 would have to be looked into regarding these companies, and why they mention cloudy titles; because it is unsure who owned it and if they had a right to sell it to anyone else, and fear of being sued by a previous owner because they are in property they don't have the right to buy because the bank didn't have a right to sell.
“The foreclosure sales (in question are) invalid because they failed to meet the requirements of (Massachusetts law),

The issues in this case are not merely . . . a matter of dotting i’s and crossing t’s. Instead, they lie at the heart of the protections given to homeowners and borrowers,

For instance, any consumer who owns a house foreclosed on in the past two decades must now worry that a former owner will sue to reclaim the property. Such homeowners could also find it impossible to sell or refinance because of “clouded” titles.

In fact, some consumers who’ve tried to buy foreclosed homes in recent months haven’t been able to get mortgages or title insurance because of Long’s initial decision. Bank of America and other firms have even pulled some foreclosed homes off of the resale market.
A Hammer
Apprentice

Post by A Hammer »

Amputee replaces lost hand with robo-fist

Nothing new in itself, but this particular hand is actually hooked up to the guy's nervous system instead of being controlled by muscle movements in the arm.
'Of all the things that shouldn’t be written on any concept drawing ever, “wall of crates” and “crates should all be the same” ranks right up there.'
Ganbare Gincun
Duke

Post by Ganbare Gincun »

Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

The risks of using art you don't own.

Still, I'd rather trust pedobear to advertise than some character they have to pay to use.

-Crissa