Ultimate Showdown: 3.0 vs. 3.5

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:Weeaboo Fightan Magic is a criticism of the book that handing out (or attempting to hand out) powers that can keep up with actual magic makes the game 'too anime'.
No offense, but fighters shooting fire and teleporting is pretty anime. (In before "Death Note is anime!")
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Chamomile wrote:Ant, what do we do about Psychic Robot?
You do not seem to do anything.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

Psychic Robot wrote:
Lago PARANOIA wrote:Weeaboo Fightan Magic is a criticism of the book that handing out (or attempting to hand out) powers that can keep up with actual magic makes the game 'too anime'.
No offense, but fighters shooting fire and teleporting is pretty anime. (In before "Death Note is anime!")
Please don't say dumb things like that.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

The Mystic Theurge was introduced in the 3.5 DMG. The 98& of the WotC forums crapped their pants in fear of how overpowered they thought it was. The Moral: you can only trust 2% of the WotC forums.
Though, there were a number of Veddy Nice exploits you could pull with it.

1) Difference Engine: Become a Level 3 Cleric / Level 3 Wizard / Level 2 Mystic Theurge. Lose two levels of cleric and two levels of wizard. Advance the rest of your levels in Mystic Theurge from now on.

2) 3.5E published a lot of compressed full-caster classes. So obviously if you were able to snag two of these (like Ur-Priest and Sublime Chord) you took a shot in the nuts NOW for Real Ultimate Power sometime in the future.

3) Mystic Theurge helped bridge over the gap between spellcasting PrCs that advanced any kind of spellcasting but required a certain kind of spellcasting to get into the door. For example, Incantatrix. Incantatrixes advance any kind of spellcasting (awesome) but require you to cast 3rd-level arcane spells (not so awesome). While I don't think anyone would be willing to take a 5-level divine spellcasting hit, 3 levels became more manageable--of course then you'd wonder why you just weren't a wizard who took expansion options that gave you cleric bennies, but, eh, on the Character Optimization boards as long as you got 9th level spells by level 20 who gave a rat's ass, amirite?
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

On Amazon you can get a new 3rd edition PHB for 15 bucks or a used one for $4.
You can get a new 3.5 PHB for 19 bucks or a used one for $39.

While there was a big selloff in anticipation of 4e, 4th edition's actual existence has not devalued the 3e or 3.5 stock at all.

-Username17
NineInchNall
Duke

Post by NineInchNall »

I can barely stomach losing even a single level of caster progression nowadays. It takes something crazy, like component-free spells or something, to get me to slow even Wizard progression by a level.
Current pet peeves:
Misuse of "per se". It means "[in] itself", not "precisely". Learn English.
Malformed singular possessives. It's almost always supposed to be 's.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Oh, I can't imagine doing it either especially with ridiculous PrCs like the Red Wizard of Thay that give you something to be doing with those level anyway.

But like I said, on the Char OP boards all that matters is getting level 9 spells by level 20. Even if you spend 14 of those levels as a goddamned bard or having casting WORSE than a bard.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
NineInchNall
Duke

Post by NineInchNall »

Yep, they're a little to focused on the max-level picture, which is indicative of some sort of childhood brain damage, I think.
Current pet peeves:
Misuse of "per se". It means "[in] itself", not "precisely". Learn English.
Malformed singular possessives. It's almost always supposed to be 's.
RandomCasualty2
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty2 »

FrankTrollman wrote: Random Casualty, THOSE ARE ALL WARRIOR NERFS!
Did you even read the list?

How is monsters directly avoiding standup fights and just relying on laying down 50,000 symbols of death/pain/insanity or having no way to counter a grapple a good thing fro a warrior.

Dragon grabs you. Wizard just dimension doors out, fighter is stuck there cause he can't beat a huge ass grapple check.

That shit is not good for fighters.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

FrankTrollman wrote:On Amazon you can get a new 3rd edition PHB for 15 bucks or a used one for $4.
You can get a new 3.5 PHB for 19 bucks or a used one for $39.
That settles it for me.

I can live with used books. And while the differences are debatable, 3.5 is clearly less than 5 times as good as 3.0.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
RandomCasualty2
Prince

FrankTrollman wrote: You can get a new 3.5 PHB for 19 bucks or a used one for $39.
What?
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

RandomCasualty2 wrote:
FrankTrollman wrote: You can get a new 3.5 PHB for 19 bucks or a used one for $39.
What?
I did not make those prices up. It's because the used asking prices are set by people who own the books and the new asking prices are set by people who own warehouses.
RC wrote:Did you even read the list?
Of course I read the list. Demons trade being acceptable casters for being powerful in melee (warrior nerf). Easily available spell renders the entire grappler concept meaningless (warrior nerf).

-Username17
RandomCasualty2
Prince

FrankTrollman wrote: Of course I read the list. Demons trade being acceptable casters for being powerful in melee (warrior nerf). Easily available spell renders the entire grappler concept meaningless (warrior nerf).
The thing swordsmen suck most at is fighting monsters who are faster than they are and stay out of melee. So the less incentive you give to dragons and balors to rush in with their claws and swords, the more time they're spending staying out of melee range and making the swordsman useless. Even if the monster is your match in melee and may beat you, the fact that it enters melee at all and lets you take a swing means you can contribute to the battle. If you can never close to melee, then you just sit there as a practice target. Encouraging balors and pit fiends to be highly mobile spell artillery platforms is not doing fighters any favors. It means that meleers do absolutely nothing aside from just run after the monster.

As far as freedom of movement, monsters most commonly grapple fighters, not the other way around. Further, monsters generally don't have access to FoM anyway. Fighters gradually lose the grapple game hard. At high levels, you just don't want to interact with the grapple game at all, because you can't keep up with the crazy size bonuses the monsters get. Grappling is generally the fighter's bane, except early in levels where grappling a wizard can be useful. If you were to be expected to fight any grapple monster, you absolutely needed FoM as a fighter.
Last edited by RandomCasualty2 on Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

No, FoM was a warrior BUFF because without it a non-grapple warrior cannot hope to fight dragons and krakens effectively.
Orca
Knight-Baron

Post by Orca »

Lokathor wrote: Favorite book. I wanna see more Fightan Magic classes, but I've never had the time to sit down and do it.
This is the internet, someone's always already done half the work for you somewhere. In this case there's a guy on the enworld boards who spent a fair bit of time writing up some more disciplines a few years back. I could try and dig up some links if you're interested.
Tequila Sunrise
Journeyman

Post by Tequila Sunrise »

Lago PARANOIA wrote: Weeaboo Fightan Magic is a criticism of the book that handing out (or attempting to hand out) powers that can keep up with actual magic makes the game 'too anime'.

So you get to deftly avoid the issue of you being a douchebag who wants to keep your boot on the neck of weak classes by calling anyone who dares to oppose your douchebaggery a Japanophile.

It's one of the ugliest slurs in all of roleplaying.
Is it just me, or does 'Weeaboo Fightan Magic' make you want to laugh more than get in a huff? I mean, 3tard and 4ron are good slurs, 'cause I immediately understand the derision. I guess whoever first wrote 'weeaboo fightan' thought they were being awfully clever, but how am I supposed to be offended by nonsense, without hearing vocal tone? WTF is a weeaboo?

(PR's right that ToB is pretty anime-ish. The stupidity is assuming that's a bad thing.)
Last edited by Tequila Sunrise on Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

FrankTrollman wrote:It's basically not worth doing is my take-home. The Weaboo Fightan Magic classes have a text to playable concept ratio that is really bad. The book is 160 pages and it introduces what, four playable archetypes?

Making a new class of that type involves writing a whole new spell list and spellcasting mechanic. The amount of work required could practically make you a new edition.
Funny you should mention that. Dabbling in retro-clones and new editions is what takes up most of my RPG time. I've got a few different game ideas floating about but nothing I'm exactly happy with, you know how it is. The one I'm most happy with at the moment mixes nwod xp/leveling with d20 stuff, and I think it'll turn out okayish if I write it down.
[*]The Ends Of The Matrix: Github and Rendered
[*]After Sundown: Github and Rendered
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

Tequila Sunrise wrote:Is it just me, or does 'Weeaboo Fightan Magic' make you want to laugh more than get in a huff? I mean, 3tard and 4ron are good slurs, 'cause I immediately understand the derision. I guess whoever first wrote 'weeaboo fightan' thought they were being awfully clever, but how am I supposed to be offended by nonsense, without hearing vocal tone? WTF is a weeaboo?

(PR's right that ToB is pretty anime-ish. The stupidity is assuming that's a bad thing.)
I dunno, I always placed "Weeboo Fightan Magic' under the same category of 'It's cold outside' and such. It's not so much derogatory so much as a far more amusing way to reference the book without losing understanding.

/likes amusing renaming of books
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

"weeaboo" originally comes from a Perry Bible Fellowship Webcomic

Somehow it jumped from there into a chan filter substitute for the derogatory term "wapanese" (same derivation as "wigger") and from there to the rest of the internets.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

Wapanese? Westerner Japanese?
Play the game, not the rules.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
good read (Note to self Maxus sucks a barrel of cocks.)
RandomCasualty2
Prince

Tequila Sunrise wrote: (PR's right that ToB is pretty anime-ish. The stupidity is assuming that's a bad thing.)
Yeah, ToB gets a lot of bad press for some reason.

In my opinion, it's probably the best supplement ever produced for 3.5. Really, I encourage anyone wanting to play a fighter to not even bother with the PHB warrior classes and just go warblade.
Guyr Adamantine
Master

Post by Guyr Adamantine »

shadzar wrote:Wapanese? Westerner Japanese?
Wannabe japanese.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

Tequila Sunrise wrote: Weeaboo Fightan Magic is a criticism of the book that handing out (or attempting to hand out) powers that can keep up with actual magic makes the game 'too anime'.

So you get to deftly avoid the issue of you being a douchebag who wants to keep your boot on the neck of weak classes by calling anyone who dares to oppose your douchebaggery a Japanophile.

It's one of the ugliest slurs in all of roleplaying.

Personally, I love that title. I'm a weeaboo, I like fightan, and I like magic. It seems like a gorram winner to me.

And saying Weeaboo Fightan Magic is a ugly slur is like saying 4rry is ugly or something. It's a *Chan troll attempt that became a term of pseudo-endearment, no worse than "Races of Rabbitfvcking," or "Complete Garbage".
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
Caedrus
Knight-Baron

Post by Caedrus »

Psychic Robot wrote:
Funny story, 2/3 of the classes don't shoot fire or teleport.
Last edited by Caedrus on Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

Leress wrote:Please don't say dumb things like that.
Fighters shooting fire/teleporting is an anime thing.
Caedrus wrote:Funny story, 2/3 of the classes don't shoot fire or teleport.
33.333% of them do, though, and that's why the book is called Weeaboo Fightan Magic.
Never said it was bad. I don't like it, but some people like games where fighters can teleport.
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Chamomile wrote:Ant, what do we do about Psychic Robot?
You do not seem to do anything.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

While I resent 3.5 for bitch-slapping some of my favorite characters into non-existence, my biggest problem with 3.5 is principle.

3.0 was awesome. It brought D&D closer to coming out of the nerd closet, and opened the game up to more players. The simple foundation of rules allowed for ease in understanding the game, but left room for greater complexity as familiarity with the game increased. The novel OGL allowed inspiration from many different sources to be published, and the SRD rocked the house by giving people a taste of the game to see if they wanted to buy it.

3.5 divided the fanbase, crippled third party publication, and stuck on a whole bunch of bandaids that did more harm than help. WotC lost a lot of ground with their customers because of mistrust and the impending feeling of 4E. Any feelings that WotC might be a cool company were decidedly crushed, and it the notion that they were just in it to make a buck was set in stone.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.