Tweaking [Ambush] feats

The homebrew forum

Moderator: Moderators

Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

The core idea behind them is that you're giving up damage for some benefit.
But the Ambush feats as printed are fucking terrible. If you think that the core idea is the part where they are fucking terrible, I can't fucking help you make them not be fucking terrible.

-Username17
Apalala
Apprentice

Post by Apalala »

FrankTrollman wrote:
The core idea behind them is that you're giving up damage for some benefit.
But the Ambush feats as printed are fucking terrible. If you think that the core idea is the part where they are fucking terrible, I can't fucking help you make them not be fucking terrible.

-Username17
Okay.
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

FrankTrollman wrote:Take a step back. Why the fucking hell do you think that someone would go up many levels of Rogue only to stop being a guy who did a lot of damage and started being a guy who didn't do measurable damage at all and started using genuine binary Save or Dies instead?

-Username17
Same reason an evoker might learn finger of death, for something different.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

But....
  • Finger of Death blows.
    Finger of Death has double the range of a Sneak Attack
    Finger of Death does not require an attack roll to force a Save.
    Finger of Death doesn't need your target to be denied dex bonus or flanked to be used.
Finger of Death is a crap spell, and it's still way better than making a no bonus damage sneak attack to force a death save.

-Username17
Vnonymous
Knight

Post by Vnonymous »

You could give all of those feats to Rogues for absolutely free.

They still wouldn't use them.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

I certainly like the idea of feats to give something else to happen when you sneak attack.

If you're flanking, you probably aren't killing the BBEG in one shot, so having it mean something to the rest of your party now instead of just later... Or giving options for what to do while not flanking, even.

Because I really find the series of feats to just 'you get sneak attack on x immune monster!' is just boring.

-Crissa
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

FrankTrollman wrote:Finger of Death is a crap spell, and it's still way better than making a no bonus damage sneak attack to force a death save.

-Username17
I was refuting your point that nobody would want to go from dealing damage to forcing SoDs. Since half the fun of the cleric is that you can do that every morning when you wake up thats just wrong.