Rich Baker talks 4e Dark Sun.

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

ggroy
Knight

Post by ggroy »

Last edited by ggroy on Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

IRC at least the people pretended to answer the other people on the channel.

These guys could be replaced by a Lisa program.

-Crissa
K
King

Post by K »

FansOfDarksun: So, can we do this cool iconic Darksun thing?

Baker: Well no, our system does do nice things, but we will make some different stuff and CALL them by the names of those nice things.... you know.... for the fans.
Seriously, if taking levels in Sorcerer King doesn't turn you into a fvcking dragon, why even have it? I can live with not writing Gladiator on my character sheet because I can still BE a gladiator, but if you don't want people to be Sorcerer Kings, then don't let them write it on their character sheet so they can play some super-neutered version of them.

And no divine source? Hello..... this is Darksun, where templars are the clerics. Did you read the setting?
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

Psychic Robot wrote:I just realized that Baker referred to racial feats as "design tech."
He used tech like that twice, he some kind of Scientologist?
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Can anyone link to threads of grognards/haters (aside from this board) sneering at this project or interview?

Because daddy Lago needs his daily hate injection.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

K wrote: Seriously, if taking levels in Sorcerer King doesn't turn you into a fvcking dragon, why even have it? I can live with not writing Gladiator on my character sheet because I can still BE a gladiator, but if you don't want people to be Sorcerer Kings, then don't let them write it on their character sheet so they can play some super-neutered version of them.
I thought the idea was that you become a sorcerer king over the course of 10 levels, and when you reach level 30 you finish your transformation, Win The Game and retire your character. Isn't that the point of the 4E epic destinies and the 30 level cap?
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

ggroy wrote:It reads like a busy IRC channel from the 1990's. :bash:
So that explains the T$R Deja Vu flashbacks. :tongue:
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Something just occured to me while playing D&D Tiny Adventures.

4E characters gain the vast majority of their power from having continuously upgradable magical items on a predictable setting. And as far as I know, magical items in Dark Sun are supposed to be rare to reflect the complete collapse of industry and the economy.

So... how are they going to reconcile these two things? Was that inherent bonus preview they gave us in the DMG2 supposed to be their way of dealing with this dissonance? Because that's not cutting the mustard. The only way people can even hope to push against the tide of padded sumo is to grab their Iron Armbands of Power and their Frost Weapons and Siberys Shards.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
souran
Duke

Post by souran »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:Something just occured to me while playing D&D Tiny Adventures.

4E characters gain the vast majority of their power from having continuously upgradable magical items on a predictable setting. And as far as I know, magical items in Dark Sun are supposed to be rare to reflect the complete collapse of industry and the economy.

So... how are they going to reconcile these two things? Was that inherent bonus preview they gave us in the DMG2 supposed to be their way of dealing with this dissonance? Because that's not cutting the mustard. The only way people can even hope to push against the tide of padded sumo is to grab their Iron Armbands of Power and their Frost Weapons and Siberys Shards.
Sort of, remember that they have now added the effective slots of

Tatoo, divine/demonic, and Boon to a character. Whats more as far as I can tell the tatoos and the boons have nothing in particular that they do other than be whatever the fuck magical effect you want.

Therefore instead of actually getting iron armbands of power you could get a boon that does the same thing and instead of getting your frost weapon you just get that from holding weapons.

In a sort of funny way isn't this what a number of people have said should be done to characters?
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

souran wrote: In a sort of funny way isn't this what a number of people have said should be done to characters?
I don't know about you, but I'd rather not have all of those effects available to me. It's actually extremely insulting to me to wield a bone club and pretend it's a +5 radiant greatsword or stick a smilie-face sticker to my helmet that gives me a +6 bonus to damage rolls.

If I had my way people in Dark Sun would just be tougher in other campaign settings--bigger and better stat boosts, starting at higher level, more feats, have monster CRs bumped up, all that happy horseshit. You know, things that made up for the fact that you're supposed to be swinging clubs and shit around?

It's like when Enterprise blathers about its polarized ceramic hull while pretending and treating it as shields. Don't insult my intelligence like that, just admit that you don't have the talent to adapt your story to a new setting and move on with your life.
Last edited by Lago PARANOIA on Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

Lago PARANOIA wrote: 4E characters gain the vast majority of their power from having continuously upgradable magical items on a predictable setting. And as far as I know, magical items in Dark Sun are supposed to be rare to reflect the complete collapse of industry and the economy.
And defiling is supposed to be normal magic and preserving is supposed to be worse-than-normal magic, but they're throwing that one out the window. What makes you think magic items are going to be any different?

I suspect you'll get Obsidian Armbands of +1 Something instead of Grimsteel Armbands of +1 Something. The word "obsidian" totally makes it Dark Sun, dude.
RandomCasualty2
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty2 »

K wrote: Seriously, if taking levels in Sorcerer King doesn't turn you into a fvcking dragon, why even have it? I can live with not writing Gladiator on my character sheet because I can still BE a gladiator, but if you don't want people to be Sorcerer Kings, then don't let them write it on their character sheet so they can play some super-neutered version of them.
Well I assumed that the sorcerer king was just a weak dragon, similar to the 4E demigod being a weak "god". Given it's 4E, it'll probably be bland as shit, but at least they could give us a breath weapon and a size increase to large or something.
Last edited by RandomCasualty2 on Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CapnTthePirateG
Duke

Post by CapnTthePirateG »

Remember, these are the same guys who think the kewl powerz of an Avatar of Death should be resist necrotic 20. Don't get your hopes up.
OgreBattle wrote:"And thus the denizens learned that hating Shadzar was the only thing they had in common, and with him gone they turned their venom upon each other"
-Sarpadian Empires, vol. I