Proposed Game: Desire and the Dead (Tome)

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

Kaelik wrote:Totemist. I will eat people already. I don't care if you play around with my food before I eat them.
Since one of my combat tactics is seriously "Grab the enemy with my mouth and start running off with them" I'm pretty sure my PC has absolutely no problem with torture (which even 3.5 was just another way to create fear).
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

This is going to be an interesting game...
Black Bag is third magic item, just mundane items and think Akarchin's good to go
koz
Duke

Post by koz »

Prak_Anima wrote:This is going to be an interesting game...
Black Bag is third magic item, just mundane items and think Akarchin's good to go
You said it...
Everything I learned about DnD, I learned from Frank Trollman.
Kaelik wrote:You are so full of Strawmen that I can only assume you actually shit actual straw.
souran wrote:...uber, nerd-rage-inducing, minutia-devoted, pointless blithering shit.
Schwarzkopf wrote:The Den, your one-stop shop for in-depth analysis of Dungeons & Dragons and distressingly credible threats of oral rape.
DSM wrote:Apparently, The GM's Going To Punch You in Your Goddamned Face edition of D&D is getting more traction than I expected. Well, it beats playing 4th. Probably 5th, too.
Frank Trollman wrote:Giving someone a mouth full of cock is a standard action.
PoliteNewb wrote:If size means anything, it's what position you have to get in to give a BJ.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

She's done.

if anyone see's anything I missed or a place where my build could be stronger, let me know.
Nicklance
Master

Post by Nicklance »

Gwendolyn cares not about torture, if she gets to watch.

It seems I've made a mistake. Swordwraiths with a bandoleer of CLW potions would kill it. Is it possible to have ILW potions/massage oils instead?
Last edited by Nicklance on Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
There ain't no rest for the wicked.
befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

Nicklance wrote:Gwendolyn cares not about torture, if she gets to watch.

It seems I've made a mistake. Swordwraiths with a bandoleer of CLW potions would kill it. Is it possible to have ILW potions/massage oils instead?
if the CLW potion bandoleer is possible the same is possible for ILW potions.

i mean both are 1st level spells and so both should cost 50gp each.
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

Yes. Negative energy potions are fine.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

Are we more or less ready to start?
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

I think so.

I just needed to add some mundane daggers, an other length of silk rope, and a small backpack of "random adventuring stuff" (chalk, candles, flint/tinder, soap, pitons, hammer).

The Ebon Rod got re-skinned. It's now a "Jade Stick". In some parts of the world, 'jade stick' is a euphemism for a specific member. A joke name, it looks like an obvious phallus, carved from jade. It pew-pew's from a hole in the tip. Sometimes you just got to be honest, and your gun is a penis extension, so why not make it also look like a penis.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Akula
Knight-Baron

Post by Akula »

Some stuff I've been working on. Suggestions are welcome.

Razorvine Armor
This is like darkleaf armor except you probably cut yourself while making it. It scales based on ranks in Know: Nature.
4: You are covered in sharp foliage, whenever you are in a grapple your opponent takes an extra 1d6/4 levels+Enhancement bonus. Creatures that strike you with a natural weapon also take this damage.
8: You are covered in living vines, anyone smaller than you grappling you is automatically entangled.
13: You no longer have to eat or drink, as your armor will do that for you.
18: No Idea.

And a feat:

Greenbound Summoning [Metamagic]
You get plant badgers instead of angel badgers, It works out pretty nice for you. This is a Metamagic feat which scales based on caster level, up to a maximum of your HD.
0: Add the following to your spell list Entangle, Speak with Plants, Plant Growth, Wall of Thorns. If they are already on your list you get a +1 bonus to caster level with those spells.
1: Your summoned creatures can be wood creatures at your option.
6: Wood creatures you summon now have the Plant type.
11: Wood creatures you summon have basic access to the Plant sphere from here.
16: You can summon creature with the Greenbound template. That shit be broken yo.
Last edited by Akula on Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nicklance
Master

Post by Nicklance »

I'll just need to update my misc. equipment like a survival knife and some stuff. I'm ready to go.
befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Alright, so it looks like PCs are more or less done. I would like to make a separate PC thread so we can get all of the PCs in one place. Also, I think we might have 7 people. That's not too far beyond the stated maximum, but it may mean that this game runs more slowly. We'll see in play, but I think we should probably start with the PCs knowing one another and reasonably able to get along. I should have the IC thread up in at most a couple of days.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

http://www.tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=50789

The character sheet thread is up.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Nicklance
Master

Post by Nicklance »

I'm in the midst of changing my character, so please ignore the character sheet during this roleplay until I'm done.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Akula:

Yes, the backstory you asked about is fine.
Nicklance
Master

Post by Nicklance »

Character done. Game on !
Akula
Knight-Baron

Post by Akula »

Setting infodump time.

Undertakers/Ragpickers/Funerary Guild – Most commonly, and officially, called the Funerary Guild, it is located in the Grey District of the Hive, composed primarily of Dustmen who have, as yet, found no reason to not simply continue their same daily tasks as before the Faction War. In association with this dour lot are the gangs of ragpickers and dead collectors whose carts still ply the Hive, and, in more refined form, gather the dead from the other wards of the city. Usually this task of body collection only occurs for victims of calamity, random violence, and when no relatives or associates immediately claim the corpse for disposal or resurrection.
Most of the members of the guild are the lower and mid-ranked of the Dustmen hierarchy. Most of the faction’s high-ranking members have gone on to other pursuits, left for parts unknown in Sigil or elsewhere, or in the case of Skall, were mazed. Rumors abound that the guild may be keen upon leaving the Mortuary and Grey District altogether, and have been canvassing other suitable locations within Sigil for the proper number of portals for their use. The former Hall of Speakers has been mentioned, but with its purchase by a group of buyers including the indomitable Harys Hatchis, this seems more and more unlikely.
Most recent chant about the guild has actually hinted that the Dead have in many ways reorganized as a faction, with a much looser hierarchy than before, but have avoided taking up any official role in Sigil’s government or politics. No harm has seemingly come of this, and word is that Oridi Malefin (N female tiefling Clr18 of Death) has returned to both guild and faction, apart from her duties at the planned Temple of Hades within the Lower Ward’s Shattered Temple District. [Much more interesting though, are the whispers and rumors of the guild having seen or heard faint images and phantasms of Skall within the Mortuary. For a mazed deader, he certainly gets around. Unless of course, all is screed or an imposter is afoot. – The Editor]

The Mortuary – Perhaps the oldest of the former faction halls, the Great Mortuary sits like a great bladed and spiked scarab between Blackshade Lane and the so-called Ragpickers Square within the heart of the Grey District in Sigil’s Hive. Appearing as a single great dome with
several adjacent towers, it looks somber and uncaring just like the former faction that operated it, many of whom continue to operate it.

Adjacent to the Mortuary, sprouting off of its main bulk are a number of mostly featureless mausoleums only accessible from within the Mortuary itself, as well as a large public memorial.
This memorial sits within a half-walled courtyard, in the center of which stands a single spike of flat black stone. Upon the stone, scratched, etched, and carved in tiny print are the names of the dead who have passed through the gates of the Mortuary. A dead cutter’s relatives can
pay a few coins to have the sod’s name inscribed for all eternity upon the face of the stone, though this requires writing over some other berk’s name at this point.

The Mortuary functioned then and now just as its name implies, it took in the corpses and remains of Sigil’s dead, prepared them for claim by relatives of the deceased, and cremated the dead of the city’s unclaimed. Prior to the Tempest of Doors a great portal to the Elemental Plane of Fire sat at the heart of the Mortuary, and it was through this that many of the
unclaimed bodies of the city were hurled to be immolated and disposed of.

The first level of the Mortuary contained a great hall in which visitors waited to claim the bodies of the dead or attend funerary proceedings. The rest of the floor was dotted with a number of memorial halls for the presentation of noted dead awaiting burial. In the past some of the side chambers held a dormitory for faction members, as well as a chamber for faction records and the faction library.

The second floor contained preparation rooms for the dead, as well as the faction armory, further interment chambers, and the offices of the faction high-ups. These officiating chambers sit mostly empty now, their office holders either mazed, in Skall’s case, or departed to the faction’s citadel upon the Negative Energy Plane.

The highest chamber of the Mortuary contained the massive portal to the Elemental Plane of Fire, as well as a scattering of other portals, including one to the faction’s citadel. Furthermore, the factol’s private quarters and a laboratory remain here today, mostly unchanged since the war. After the Lady’s Edict, most of the faction members, having little to
no emotion, simply went about continuing their old business just as before, but now without calling themselves a faction proper.

Additionally, and only having become common knowledge recently, the lower levels of the Mortuary connected to a warren of catacombs of the entombed dead which also connected in parts to the uncounted miles of UnderSigil’s tunnels, vaults, and forgotten passages. But of most interest in the bowels of the Mortuary were the great number of portals that allowed the Dustmen access to numerous planes throughout the multiverse. Through these portals the faction was able to ship out the bodies of those deceased who wished to be returned to life back on their planes of origin, as unnatural as many in the faction held such magics to be.

Gray District - Just spireward from the Mortuary lays the drab, and some say menacing, Gray District, home to many of the Dustmen that operate the Mortuary. Of course, with the changes in the portals
within the Mortuary, it may not retain its use forever.

Common sights within this district are the sullen, emotionless Dustmen who linger still, not possessed of the motivation to do anything else, even after the “disbanding” of their faction. Zombies, skeletons, and even wights, among other undead are seen wandering the district as well, typically in tow with one of the yet living Mortuary workers.

For being in the Hive proper, and not the Lower Ward, the streets and kips populating the area are clean, well-tended and free of refuse and razorvine. Old habits die hard, and despite the bland and perhaps disturbing aspects of the buildings and residents, the area is much safer than most other areas of the Hive aside from some of the insular racial enclaves. Things appear to be deteriorating, however, in the wake of the Faction War some five years ago, and it is likely that in time the Grey District will be swallowed up by the rest of the Hive and lose its distinct flavor.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

A dictionary of planar cant for those PCs that would be familiar with it:
http://mimir.net/cant/cant2.html
Nicklance
Master

Post by Nicklance »

It might just be me, but it hurts to read your speech Akula. Are you using a dark/black background? I seem to be stuck with subSilver.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Thanks Avoraciopoctules. That's the first time I think that I've spelled your name.

I echo Nick's comments. Reading orange on pale blue requires the text to be selected.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

Thanks Av. And thirded on the text.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

A few hours ago, I realized that my 4-year college applications require me to jump through a bunch more bureaucratic hoops before the end of the month. My post rate is fairly slowed for the time being. Fortunately, the party seems to be in a situation where they won't need too much input from me.
Akula
Knight-Baron

Post by Akula »

I'll change the text color in future posts, and I'll edit the old ones tomorrow.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

It may be time to switch to combat rounds. Since this is looking to be a primarily inter-PC conflict, the normal initiative rules may actually get partially applied. If conflict continues, "The Grey District" goes last in the initiative count.