Embezzlement in Catalyst

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Lokathor wrote:
CatharzGodfoot wrote:...or "monadic functional IO"
Oh gosh I wish I knew Haskell more, but every time I sit down to do something I end up getting lost and derailed.
I didn't actually make a Google alert for "monadic functional IO"; I was just using it as an example of an esoteric topic.

As an aside_____________________
I've been teaching myself Haskell by going through SICP, my 1st year intro to Computer Science textbook. I think I'm finally starting to `get` it: I was reading PL's "How to Write No Rules" thread, and decided to make an Excel spreadsheet to calculate and visualize die probabilities. After about 10 minutes I gave up and wrote some (probably unnecessarily complex and ugly) Haskell functions instead.

Code: Select all

import Data.Function
import Data.List

add1dY y = concatMap (\x-> map (+x) [1..y])
addXdY y 0 xDy = xDy
addXdY y x xDy = addXdY y (x-1) (add1dY y xDy)

combineXdY y x = toHistogram $ addXdY y (x-1) [1..y]

sumFreqs = foldr ((+).snd) 0

pGreaterHist histogram i = ((/) `on` fromInteger.sumFreqs) greater histogram
    where greater = dropWhile &#40;&#40;<= i&#41;.fst&#41; histogram

pLessHist histogram i = &#40;&#40;/&#41; `on` fromInteger.sumFreqs&#41; less histogram
    where less = takeWhile &#40;&#40;< i&#41;.fst&#41; histogram

toHistogram &#91;&#93; = &#91;&#93;
toHistogram lst =
    toHistogram' &#40;x,1&#41; xs
    where &#40;x&#58;xs&#41; = sort lst
          toHistogram' pair &#91;&#93; = &#91;pair&#93;
          toHistogram' &#40;x1,n&#41; &#40;x2&#58;xs&#41; =
            if x1 == x2
            then toHistogram' &#40;x1,n+1&#41; xs
            else &#40;x1,n&#41; &#58; &#40;toHistogram' &#40;x2,1&#41; xs&#41;

showHistogram &#58;&#58; &#91;&#40;Int, Int&#41;&#93; -> IO &#40;&#41;
showHistogram = foldr &#40;\ &#40;i,n&#41; y -> &#40;putStrLn &#40;&#40;reverse $ take n bars&#41; ++ " " ++ &#40;show i&#41;&#41;&#41; >> y&#41; &#40;return &#40;&#41;&#41;
    where bars = "|"++&#40;cycle "-"&#41;
Last edited by CatharzGodfoot on Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

Are there any common pure functional languages outside of Haskell? A language that isn't strictly pure is okay so long as there's a way to disable the non-pure routines.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Surgo wrote:Are there any common pure functional languages outside of Haskell? A language that isn't strictly pure is okay so long as there's a way to disable the non-pure routines.
You can write pure procedures in pretty much any language, but clearly it's easier in some. Scheme is reasonably pure; impure procedures follow the "!" naming convention so they're easy to spot. Any language that uses lazy evaluation by default has to be pure, so that includes languages like Clean and Miranda.

Why do you ask?
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

It's not about whether I can write them, it's about whether I can turn off impure features. It's for security purposes.

edit: And you can have lazy evaluation in impure languages or even functions. You can do it in Ocaml.
Last edited by Surgo on Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Surgo wrote:edit: And you can have lazy evaluation in impure languages or even functions. You can do it in Ocaml.
Right, you can perform lazy evaluation in every language I know of. The point is that to have lazy evaluation as the default, you language needs to be pure (by default). You could have an impure language that was lazy by default, but I doubt many people would use it.
-Anatole France

Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Wait, are you telling me that I could randomly post the words "David Hill" to as many places as possible on the internet (possibly tagged with insults), and he'd be flooded with useless information?
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Ganbare Gincun
Duke

Post by Ganbare Gincun »

davidhill wrote:But you'd be happy if I died? You know, I have a family. I'm a father of two. I understand that your pretendy fun time games might be at risk, but saying you'd be happy if someone died? That's just asinine.
David Hill -

Literally interpreting hyperbole in an attempt to garner sympathy, discredit your detractors, or otherwise advance your political agenda is a transparent, shameless tactic lifted straight from the playbooks of the very worst Forum Admins to be found on the internet. It is intellectually dishonest and does nothing to support your claim that you've somehow been misrepresented on this forum. My personal experiences with other Forum Admins that have embraced this tactic indicates to me that you are not someone that can be trusted and raises serious doubts in my mind regarding the other claims that you have made on this forum.
K
King

Post by K »

Koumei wrote:Wait, are you telling me that I could randomly post the words "David Hill" to as many places as possible on the internet (possibly tagged with insults), and he'd be flooded with useless information?
Yes, and he has in fact consented to be spammed.

Insecurity + technology = win!
Orca
Knight-Baron

Post by Orca »

David is about the second commonest male name in english-speaking countries, and Hill isn't that unusual. The guy must spend ages each day trawling thru the results of his name search.
Morzas
Apprentice

Post by Morzas »

Could we all just put "David Hill" in our signatures so he has to read everything we post?
David Hill, David A. Hill, Shadowrun
Utterfail
Master

Post by Utterfail »

Probably.
Failing since 1989

I suppose this signature has run it's course.
Dominicius
Knight

Post by Dominicius »

Don't know about you but I wouldn't want some guy on the internet obsessively reading all of my posts. Even if it is for a good cause.
Last edited by Dominicius on Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Yeah, but a real dick could go and post his name on, say, /y/ or /b/ on 4chan. Kind of like Death Note, in a way.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Utterfail
Master

Post by Utterfail »

Signature changes are retro-active though. So in theory, he'll get a message about all of your posts, ever.
Failing since 1989

TOZ
Duke

Post by TOZ »

That's....fucking....beautiful. I wonder if he'll come back to confirm it.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

In case people are missing out, here is the interchange that David Hill forwarded to Catalyst management, which in turn resulted in Ancient History being fired:
Session Start: Sun Mar 21 11:55:21 2010
Session Ident: DavidAHillJr
01[11:55] <AncientHistory> If you buy one word Jason is spilling right now, I will hit you with a shoe.
[11:56] <DavidAHillJr> lol. I believe that to the best of Jason's knowledge, he's telling the truth. However, I know he's a very uninformed middleman.
01[11:57] <AncientHistory> No, I mean he's actually lying to you right now.
[11:58] <DavidAHillJr> Oh? You think he knows more? Fair enough. But, if they
[11:59] <DavidAHillJr> they're unable to pay licensing, why move forward with more products?
01[11:59] <AncientHistory> They hope to talk Topps down into accepting less money (who knows where they are going to get it from), but at the moment they can't even cut checks to freelancers. THat's a bad sign.
[12:00] <DavidAHillJr> But if they can't pay the freelancers to release, then moving forward on new product just isn't a rational path.
01[12:01] <AncientHistory> Nothing about this is rational. They're keeping a known thief as the company's president.
[12:02] <DavidAHillJr> Fair.
01[12:03] <AncientHistory> All I'm saying is that be aware Jason isn't telling you everything, the situation is probably worse than it is, and it is unlikely you're going to get pad for your ork.
[12:04] <DavidAHillJr> Duly noted.
Session Close: Sun Mar 21 12:53:45 2010
So... David A Hill is a liar and a quisling. His pleas for people to "think of the children" are totally laughable considering what he does to other people who are just trying to put food on their own table and help him out.

-Username17
DragonChild
Knight-Baron

Post by DragonChild »

I don't know if it was connected to UNIX or whatever, but the August 2037 date was 9999 days into the future.
Last edited by DragonChild on Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Wow, David Hill is a dick.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Koumei wrote:Wow, David Hill is a dick.
I think it's more likely that he's just "an uninformed middleman". A largely inadvertent jerk, if that.
-Anatole France

Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Meikle641
Duke

Post by Meikle641 »

Oh, now this is some trolling I can get behind. This made my day.
Official Discord: https://discord.gg/ZUc77F7
Twitter: @HrtBrkrPress
FB Page: htttp://facebook.com/HrtBrkrPress
My store page: https://heartbreaker-press.myshopify.co ... ctions/all
Book store: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/ ... aker-Press
Doom
Duke

Post by Doom »

Seems pretty advertant to me....jeebus, Dude, why stab the guy like that?

Reminds of the kind of stuff I saw in this one clan I was in, ages ago. Wish I could find the site, it was amazing stuff.
Kaelik, to Tzor wrote: And you aren't shot in the face?
Frank Trollman wrote:A government is also immortal ...On the plus side, once the United Kingdom is no longer united, the United States of America will be the oldest country in the world. USA!
Ganbare Gincun
Duke

Post by Ganbare Gincun »

CatharzGodfoot wrote:
I think it's more likely that he's just "an uninformed middleman". A largely inadvertent jerk, if that.
No. This guy is just a straight up dick. I had my doubts, but the hyperbole bullshit pretty much cemented that fact in my mind.
Last edited by Ganbare Gincun on Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jilocasin
Knight

Post by Jilocasin »

Ganbare Gincun wrote:
CatharzGodfoot wrote:
No. This guy is just a straight up dick. I had my doubts, but the hyperbole bullshit pretty much cemented that fact in my mind.
That has to have been facetious.
Last edited by Jilocasin on Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

Are you guys even sure that's the real David Hill?

Maybe it's just a sock puppet.
Utterfail
Master

Post by Utterfail »

I don't like sock puppets either, the fuckers.
Failing since 1989