aWoD: Continued

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

DragonChild
Knight-Baron

Post by DragonChild »

The languages seem kinda expensive. I mean, my girlfriend, who can get by in Japanese and Spanish apparently had a ratings 3 language. Which is apparently equivalent to access to the the FBI fingerprint database, a nuclear weapon, or the ability to call on the national guard. I understand not wanting to make polyglots common, but doesn't that seem a bit high?
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Yeah, it might make more sense as a single resource at n for fluency where n+1 = the number of languages you're fluent in. That puts it somewhat on the level of having a friend who is fluent in a couple of languages. Then let backgrounds represent 'can barely get by'. I don't think that unbalances backgrounds too much, and might actually make more specific backgrounds more attractive relative to very general backgrounds.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

DragonChild wrote:The languages seem kinda expensive. I mean, my girlfriend, who can get by in Japanese and Spanish apparently had a ratings 3 language. Which is apparently equivalent to access to the the FBI fingerprint database, a nuclear weapon, or the ability to call on the national guard. I understand not wanting to make polyglots common, but doesn't that seem a bit high?
You're describing it as more like two separate Rating 1 Languages, which is the equivalent of having a car and some dogs.

-Username17
Grek
Prince

Post by Grek »

Idea: Being able to translate to/from a language should be a rating 1 science resource. Rating 2 means you can translate several/translate dead languages. Ancient trollish and ancient etrusian require rating 1 density resources.

If you have a relevent background you can speak the language. "French Canadian" for speaking french or "Egyptian Archeology" for speaking egyptian.
Chamomile wrote:Grek is a national treasure.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Grek wrote:Idea: Being able to translate to/from a language should be a rating 1 science resource. Rating 2 means you can translate several/translate dead languages. Ancient trollish and ancient etrusian require rating 1 density resources.
That's pretty interesting. I could see doing that. Of course, I'm not sure how that's better or different from just letting people translate with a Rating 1 "Language" resource.
If you have a relevent background you can speak the language. "French Canadian" for speaking french or "Egyptian Archeology" for speaking egyptian.
That can almost guaranty I will not do. The difference between being able to speak a language and not is pretty stark. I don't want everyone to feel that they have to customize their backgrounds so that they have spent a lot of time watching foreign films or some shit. No one is going to fritter away backgrounds on stuff like action figure collecting that enhance their character if they can fucking speak Arabic instead.

-Username17
Grek
Prince

Post by Grek »

It's only important in that, if you have access to the FBI fingerprint database, it can be generally assumed that you will be able to get a translation of something written in Estonian made for you, but you will not be able to get "demonic" or whatever translated for you.
Chamomile wrote:Grek is a national treasure.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

How do supernaturals detect whether a human is a Luminary? Is there a common opinion of supernaturals who discover 'unrefined' Luminaries?
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Yet another question. For En Media Res character creation, the "2 Basic Disciplines and an Advanced Discipline that are theirs"; is that from any discipline, such as a Nezumi taking two basics and an advanced from Veil of Morpheus with this?

Also, for character creation, do Devotions count as Universal Disciplines? If they do, then it's possible for a supernatural to begin the game with Empty Body twice.

When using Protean powers to transform/shift, do your clothes shift with you or are they destroyed/fall off?
Last edited by virgil on Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Yes, another question.

Do any supernaturals become ghosts when they die? Can their corpses be animated as zombies, and if so, do any of them become revenants?
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Gelare
Knight-Baron

Post by Gelare »

virgileso wrote:Yet another question. For En Media Res character creation, the "2 Basic Disciplines and an Advanced Discipline that are theirs"; is that from any discipline, such as a Nezumi taking two basics and an advanced from Veil of Morpheus with this?
Yes, any two basics, any one advanced, and one more basic or advanced based on that restriction that I can't remember.
Also, for character creation, do Devotions count as Universal Disciplines? If they do, then it's possible for a supernatural to begin the game with Empty Body twice.
No, they're not universal disciplines. They're devotions. That's why they're called devotions.
When using Protean powers to transform/shift, do your clothes shift with you or are they destroyed/fall off?
Hulk smash?
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Two players have made doctor/healing focused characters and in both cases they've ended up bored out of their gourds.

Then there was really odd situation where one player initiated Majesty at the same time as the enemy, not only getting equal number of hits but neither overcame each other's Majesty with their resistance tests. That was really hard to adjudicate (I assumed Evil Plants are subject to it), especially when the Majesty-using player entered greed frenzy in response to the enemy's created Object of Envy in an attempt to bargain; the player deciding that he'd not agree to anything in Frenzy and instead blast the enemy holding the proffered item.
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

virgileso wrote:Two players have made doctor/healing focused characters and in both cases they've ended up bored out of their gourds.
That's a huge problem. I'm not really sure what to do about it, because I think the core problem is the White Mage expectation of simply waiting for people to be injured. As such, I put the following into Character Generation:
Regardless of what kind of story is being told, remember that it is going to be an ensemble cast with each player's character being one of the story driving protagonists. Each character thus, should have interests and goals that drive the plot forward, not just passive interests r reactive interests. It's fine for a character to be a doctor or a police officer, but they can't just be a passive observer waiting for people to get sick or cars to be reported stolen. A character worth playing thus needs to have a goal that they can work towards when there isn't a fire to be put out. It's fine to play a character who can heal others, but the character needs a hook that can get them motivated to pursue goals and advance the plot when there isn't anyone injured in their presence.
Also, I made Languages cheaper.

-Username17
Rathe
Apprentice

Vulnerabilities & Powers:

Post by Rathe »

Starting to run a aWOD game with a group of friends and while they have been having a terrific time playing the system, some questions have come up.

(Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse here or if the questions have been brought up prior.)

- In Character Creation, can you drop those 2 variable attribute points into Edge?

- As for Vulnerabilities, I'm assuming that ANY amount of alcohol qualifies? (Player made note to carry bic lighter) What happens if you dilute it or when it just evaporates in a few seconds?

- As for water, besides the obvious possibility of rain...how do Sewers, Swamps and the Seas & Oceans work? Does the water have to be clean & potable/drinkable? I can understand it based on washing evil away, but how does that factor in sewers and stagnant swamps (where Trolls and Witches hang out)?
Also, was the half-litre stated correctly? A half-litre is the size of a large cup of coffee at McDonalds (16 oz.), the wicked witch was hit by a bucket which comes in at 10L, and even assuming only partially full...a few litres would be likely.

- Sun was very thematic and appropriate, but does heavy clothing protect you (as it would versus water and alcohol)?

- Oh and as for Patience of the Mountains...since they never age nor decay, shouldn't they be immune to the effects of disease as well as poison (but would still be carriers)?

- Dominate didn't seem to grant a passive bonus, maybe it could grant one to something like Intimidate?

- Should Obfuscate give a bonus to Stealth, similar to Auspex granting a bonus to perception? Not that it really matters (you're super stealthy anyhow), just wondering.

- The Celerity bonus to initiative goes +2/+4/+8 as opposed to the standard +2/+4/+6.

Seriously, there is a ton of awesome information, thought and imagination that went into this. Thank you very much for all the work.

(Oh and is there any way to search a specific thread?)

Thanks again!

-Rathe
Last edited by Rathe on Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Username17
Serious Badass

Re: Vulnerabilities & Powers:

Post by Username17 »

Rathe wrote: - In Character Creation, can you drop those 2 variable attribute points into Edge?
I would suggest not allowing that.
- As for Vulnerabilities, I'm assuming that ANY amount of alcohol qualifies? (Player made note to carry bic lighter) What happens if you dilute it or when it just evaporates in a few seconds?
My suggestion is that it would have to be enough alcohol that you were not allowed to sell it to children as a beverage. There is of course a minute amount of alcohol present in all bread and even blood and organ meat. So once something becomes dilute enough that you couldn't get in trouble giving it to kids, you're good.
- As for water, besides the obvious possibility of rain...how do Sewers, Swamps and the Seas & Oceans work? Does the water have to be clean & potable/drinkable? I can understand it based on washing evil away, but how does that factor in sewers and stagnant swamps (where Trolls and Witches hang out)?
Also, was the half-litre stated correctly? A half-litre is the size of a large cup of coffee at McDonalds (16 oz.), the wicked witch was hit by a bucket which comes in at 10L, and even assuming only partially full...a few litres would be likely.
A 16 oz. cup is actually insufficient, but only just. Half a liter is a little past 17.6 ounces. Basically, if it's smaller than a German beer stein, it is too small.
- Sun was very thematic and appropriate, but does heavy clothing protect you (as it would versus water and alcohol)?
The World of Darkness has gone both ways on that. Some versions have allowed people to run around in a burkha and be fine, others would not. As a rule of thumb, I would say that if you are casting a shadow in sunlight, your powers are suppressed.
- Oh and as for Patience of the Mountains...since they never age nor decay, shouldn't they be immune to the effects of disease as well as poison (but would still be carriers)?
That depends. Some diseases are literally tiny creatures that eat you - and patience of the mountains doesn't provide immunity from tiny attacks. But yeah... they certainly aren't going to get Parkinsons. I'll try to come up with a more coherent ruling this weekend.
- Dominate didn't seem to grant a passive bonus, maybe it could grant one to something like Intimidate?

- Should Obfuscate give a bonus to Stealth, similar to Auspex granting a bonus to perception? Not that it really matters (you're super stealthy anyhow), just wondering.
Dominate and Obfuscate are classically the most powerful things in the oWoD. In general, I've tried to boost the weaker disciplines and nerf the stronger ones. If people are finding that I was too hard on Dominate and Obfuscate, I can throw them a bone, but for now I'm happy with them as-is.
- The Celerity bonus to initiative goes +2/+4/+8 as opposed to the standard +2/+4/+6.
Yeah. The +2/+4/+8 paradigm was the first one I went with, but I found in some early wargaming that Elder Vampires beat you down to an unaceptable degree with that. But a titanic bonus to Initiative just doesn't make that much of a difference, so I left it alone.
Seriously, there is a ton of awesome information, thought and imagination that went into this. Thank you very much for all the work.
Thanks. I'm glad you're having fun with it.
(Oh and is there any way to search a specific thread?)
The best way I know is to use CTRL-F. I think you can set the board to display more than 25 messages at a time.

-Username17
Rathe
Apprentice

Post by Rathe »

Thank you for the response, our group will continue playing around and I'll report periodically on any player feedback (if you don't mind).

Quick question:
I took all of your posts for aWOD and created a word document with Table of Contents. Changed all the larger headings to actual headings, staggered them for organization etc. Made for much easer referencing.
Would anyone be interested in me uploading it and if so; is there a way to do it on this forum or should I use an uploading site...any suggestions?
(That is of course if the creators are ok with it.)

-Rathe
Last edited by Rathe on Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rejakor
Master

Post by Rejakor »

I'd d/l that. But I vaguely thought there was a pdf already?

-Rejakor
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Yeah, there's a .pdf Here.

I have no problem with people making .Docs if they like those better.

-Username17
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Slight balance concern for the kryptonite system, assuming I'm interpreting it correctly. Doesn't a haz-mat suit completely protect a supernatural from alcohol and water, yet leave them still vulnerable to sunlight; making vampires distinctly disadvantaged in this regard.

And for those who try to counter with "you can't walk down the street in a haz-mat suit", I have four words for ya: Mask of a Thousand Faces.
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

If you're talking about using taking mundane equipment a bit further than usual just to guard against supernatural weaknesses

Vamps totally have something
cheaper than most Hazmat suits and light enough to be carried without supernatural strength

It doesn't even really look as weird as a hazmat suit, unless you try to walk around with it set up.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
norms29
Master

Post by norms29 »

virgileso wrote: I have four words for ya: Mask of a Thousand Faces.
um.. I still have a year to go on my bachlors degree in mathematics... but

hmm... uh huh... carry the 2... yeah UI'm pretty sure that's 5 words...

good point though
After all, when you climb Mt. Kon Foo Sing to fight Grand Master Hung Lo and prove that your "Squirrel Chases the Jam-Coated Tiger" style is better than his "Dead Cockroach Flails Legs" style, you unleash a bunch of your SCtJCT moves, not wait for him to launch DCFL attacks and then just sit there and parry all day. And you certainly don't, having been kicked about, then say "Well you served me shitty tea before our battle" and go home.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Blech, ignore that particular brain fart :P

I feel bad for my antagonist in the game though, Object of Envy < Doppelganger.
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
endersdouble
Journeyman

Post by endersdouble »

I think I may write up a vampire character that in real life was an old-time Southern Belle that still strolls about with a parasol.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

My party was complaining quite heavily on how unintuitive & complicated the healing rules are.
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Also, the party's complaining about the power of Death Note. From the way it's written, we're getting a player who's able to hum lightly and smack anything he can perceive without anyone able to find out how it happened unless they're personally familiar with the power, let alone be able to find him; especially if he used Hide from Notice. The fact that it's largely better than iron/silver/wood as far allowing people to soak it is just icing on the cake.
Last edited by virgil on Sun May 02, 2010 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

virgileso wrote:My party was complaining quite heavily on how unintuitive & complicated the healing rules are.
I think it's better explained with a picture than text. And I've been thinking about how to do that in board text. Here goes:

Before Healing Test:
Wounds:////......

Healing Test Failed:
Wounds:X/. . . .. . ..

Healing Test Succeeds:
Wounds://. . . .. . . .

That look better?

-Username17