The Shadowrun Situation

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Fuchs
Duke

Post by Fuchs »

Asbestos Underwear wrote:Fuchs, don't be a dipshit. Stop pretending to understand things you obviously don't. You couldn't even hold your own in lame, sissy Dumbshock-land. The end result of a forced bankruptcy and a voluntary bankruptcy are exactly the same. If Wildfire can get to LLC through the forced bankruptcy, they'd be able to get to LLC when IMR eventually declares bankruptcy after losing the licenses. There's no functional difference between the two once the bankruptcy actually begins, so your point has no bearing whatsoever on my observations about the timing and value of the current effort.
Oh boy, another anonymous poster playing though. I am so impressed by your paranoid "reasoning". Do you have any experience with collecting?

As Frank pointed out, sometimes people just want to make someone pay. And not just in the monetary sense. I have seen some creditors pay money just to make sure a debtor loses his car - the car was worth 500 franks, and auctioning it off cost 1000 franks, and they happily paid it just to deprive the debtor of his car. I do assume Coleman racked up enough bad feelings from a lot of people so they'd happily pay money to get him his just desserts.

Second, as I stated a on past threads, a bankruptcy suit is also a way to force payments. And in such cases the sooner you get paid the better - there usually is not enough for all creditors.

Third, the sooner you press your suit the less time the debtor has to make money disappear (aka, funnel it somewhere else).

Fourth, while I do not know if there a similar mechanic in the US as over here, a bankruptcy case brought to the end in Switzerland often is the condition needed to get at the money of the members or owners of a company. That would be very logical in cases where money was co-mingled - one would have to demonstrate (by the bankruptcy suit) that the corporation has not the money to pay its debts, and that the money was funneld to the owner/shareholder in order to get at the co-mingled money.

Fifth, while you may not have any idea about business, or the law, most businesses fail not because of debts, but because of cash flow troubles - they have enough assets, but people don't pay them on time, or not at all, and they end up not having the cash to pay their creditors. Wildfire may very well need the money so badly that an additional 2 month delay might spell ruin for it.
Last edited by Fuchs on Fri May 28, 2010 11:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Taharqa
Journeyman

Post by Taharqa »

A Man In Black wrote: Problem with #1 is that the only reason they are able to make good shit the way you like it is by stealing it from the people who are making the good shit, in not paying freelancers, artists, etc. Their model for making the good shit is not sustainable, and you're seeing it go off the rails right now.
I don't believe that is true. Not even Frank has said that. The reason they are short on money is not because their products were not bringing in revenue but rather that revenue was being siphoned off to build Coleman's house, etc. If that had not happened, then they would have been able to pay off the freelancers for the good shit. I am pretty sure that most parties agree on that point.
LaughingMan2070
NPC

Post by LaughingMan2070 »

Fuchs wrote:Oh boy, another anonymous poster playing though.
You're apparently as unfamiliar with the internet as you are with US law, mes ami.
Asbestos Underwear
1st Level

Post by Asbestos Underwear »

Fuchs wrote: Oh boy, another anonymous poster playing though. I am so impressed by your paranoid "reasoning". Do you have any experience with collecting?

As Frank pointed out, sometimes people just want to make someone pay. And not just in the monetary sense. I have seen some creditors pay money just to make sure a debtor loses his car - the car was worth 500 franks, and auctioning it off cost 1000 franks, and they happily paid it just to deprive the debtor of his car. I do assume Coleman racked up enough bad feelings from a lot of people so they'd happily pay money to get him his just desserts.

Second, as I stated a on past threads, a bankruptcy suit is also a way to force payments. And in such cases the sooner you get paid the better - there usually is not enough for all creditors.

Third, the sooner you press your suit the less time the debtor has to make money disappear (aka, funnel it somewhere else).

Fourth, while I do not know if there a similar mechanic in the US as over here, a bankruptcy case brought to the end in Switzerland often is the condition needed to get at the money of the members or owners of a company. That would be very logical in cases where money was co-mingled - one would have to demonstrate (by the bankruptcy suit) that the corporation has not the money to pay its debts, and that the money was funneld to the owner/shareholder in order to get at the co-mingled money.

Fifth, while you may not have any idea about business, or the law, most businesses fail not because of debts, but because of cash flow troubles - they have enough assets, but people don't pay them on time, or not at all, and they end up not having the cash to pay their creditors. Wildfire may very well need the money so badly that an additional 2 month delay might spell ruin for it.
Oh boy, more Fuchs fail. You keep asking to get spanked. Why yes, I have had the "pleasure" of duking it out with other creditors for my take in bankruptcies. It's a painfully slow process once people start arguing amongst themselves over divisions, but it's pretty fair all things considered.

#1 is irrational, from a business perspective. Wildfire seems to want to keep their game line running, not axe LLC in the back. So that's out the window.

#2 and #3 show you don't understand bankruptcy. Maybe things are different in Switzerland, but we don't queue people up based on when they get to the courthouse door. There's an order set by law and the court assigns your place in the payment line. Acting "sooner" won't change what you're going to get. And have you checked out the whole clawback thing? Extra time to "make money disappear" isn't really an issue, since the bankruptcy court and trustee can undo bad deals. And they can go back for several years. And fraudulent representations and filings in a bankruptcy are a crime, so trying to play shell games and hold onto the cash could lead to prison ass poundings! Joy! So, there's no real reason to act now and pay for lots of extra hearings instead of waiting for the licenses to be assigned to someone else, at which point it's clear that IMR can't raise revenue. $0 coming in = slam dunk, even if Frank is right and they'd refuse to file voluntarily.

#4 is wrong, too. As a small business owner, you can be damn sure I'm interested in keeping my liability shield intact. Bankruptcy has nothing to do with whether the veil is pieced and personal liability kicks in. Either you fucked up your finances and you're now personally liable for your business obligations or you aren't. Whether it's a contract suit, bankruptcy or something else isn't terribly important. I can be personally liable for a slip and fall that happens in my shop if my money and the business money aren't handled right.

#5 is complete bull. I'm familiar with business matters, which is exactly why I'm baffled by the attempt to force a bankruptcy now. Wildfire isn't getting the money any faster this way than if they wait a few weeks for the licenses to lapse! So long as IMR has a revenue steam, they can fight the petition. As soon as they lose the revenue stream, they drop and spread 'em faster than drunk girls on prom night. I know that if my firm had cash flow problems, we'd not go pissing money away on an apparently ill advised suit. How many hours do you think their attorneys' billed for preparing the latest batch of motions and appearing at the hearing? Legal services aren't cheap. That cost them at least a thousand dollars. Probably twice that. Possibly more. And it got them dick. How did that help cash flow? And how is getting money locked up in a bond going to help their cash flow?

I understand Wildfire needs to get paid and don't want to see them dragged down by all this because CTech is awesome, but wanting to get paid now and actually getting paid more quickly aren't the same thing.

Worst case, IMR miraculously keeps the license, the petition is dismissed, and Wildfire falls apart under the weight of damages. Best case, IMR loses the license, the bankruptcy is a slam dunk afterwards, and Wildfire's pre-loss legal expenses are a waste. It would have been better to throw money into a hole, douse it in lighter fluid, and drop in a match than kick the suit off when they did.

Unless Stansel is paying the attorneys and Wildfire is just along for the ride?
Last edited by Asbestos Underwear on Sat May 29, 2010 2:15 am, edited 7 times in total.
BishopMcQ
NPC

Post by BishopMcQ »

LaughingMan2070 wrote:
Fuchs wrote:Oh boy, another anonymous poster playing though.
You're apparently as unfamiliar with the internet as you are with US law, mes ami.
mon ami(e)
mes ami(e)s
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

You can only unwind bank transactions if you move. A bankruptcy has times embedded in it - if you show up late, you get nada. The Colemans only have to wait for the time to run out.

Why would you have to wait a year? Because license contracts usually have a time to re-up even if they've failed to pay, as well as being able to keep it tied up in court with injunctions. And the books aren't being held by the court - they're being held by printers. Who seriously are losing money having these crappy things on their shelves. They won't wait forever.

If you don't force their hand, nothing will be called fraudulent. The judge will wonder why you didn't report it earlier.

-Crissa
Last edited by Crissa on Sat May 29, 2010 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Asbestos Underware wrote:show you don't understand bankruptcy.
And you do?

Dude, you know what has to happen for an LLC to declare voluntary bankruptcy? All the owners have to agree to it. Since no one knows what the ownership situation even is, and there are about 16 owners in any case, and it's not clear what happened to the ownership of members who wandered off or died, getting all of them to agree on a bankruptcy plan is never ever going to happen.

Secondly, the court is going to appoint someone to manage the bankruptcy when it happens, and IMR does not know what their debts even are. People who do not make themselves known to the court will not get paid.

From any angle I choose to look at it, bringing suit against IMR seems to make perfect sense. It really is the only way WildFire is ever gong to see a dime. And they are self publishing now, and need their money.

-Username17
Asbestos Underwear
1st Level

FrankTrollman wrote:Dude, you know what has to happen for an LLC to declare voluntary bankruptcy? All the owners have to agree to it. Since no one knows what the ownership situation even is, and there are about 16 owners in any case, and it's not clear what happened to the ownership of members who wandered off or died, getting all of them to agree on a bankruptcy plan is never ever going to happen.
Depends on the LLC's organizing documents. I'm a member of two LLC's. Neither requires the assent of all members to make major decisions. All would be a terrible structure, but I guess it would be par for the course if LLC totally botched the formation of his company.

FrankTrollman wrote:Secondly, the court is going to appoint someone to manage the bankruptcy when it happens, and IMR does not know what their debts even are. People who do not make themselves known to the court will not get paid.
The court sends notice to every identifiable creditor at the start of a bankruptcy. A creditors' committee is formed to advise the trustee on how the people actually owed money think he should handle things. My company's been notified in most cases we've been involved in, but a few times other creditors had to reach out to us or we heard by word of mouth. It's true that folks who never file their claims can get shut out, but thats not something that would happen to Wildfire. As the single largest creditor we've heard of, they'd probably actually be on the committee.

FrankTrollman wrote:From any angle I choose to look at it, bringing suit against IMR seems to make perfect sense. It really is the only way WildFire is ever gong to see a dime. And they are self publishing now, and need their money.
"Choose" to see what you want, but I'm not saying bankruptcy is unnecessary. I agree that its the only way they're likely to see the money they're owed.

I'm saying the license is up in a few days and IMR is probably going to lose its only meaningful revenue streams. Wildfires early filing hasn't made a lick of difference to when they're going to get paid. If IMR does pull a fast one on Topps and keeps the license, Wildfire probably loses the petition and gets pounded for damages. Extra cost, some risk, no benefit. Bad business decision, unless someone else is fronting the cost. Even if it's free, there's damage risk and no payment acceleration, so it remains a dubious call.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Asbestos, how would filing after IMR's revenue streams dried up not slow the process down?

The evidentiary hearing got scheduled for June 18th, even filing as they did in mid-April. If they waited until IMR lost the license (which without a completed audit they might be able to extend to GenCon), they would still have to wait for IMR to respond to a summons, have to wait for IMR to show up and agree to a scheduled evidentiary hearing, and so on.

If they waited to file until June 2nd, then the court would give IMR 21 days to respond to the summons. That means at the very least, they would miss the June 18th court date for the evidentiary hearing. And since that was the earliest gap in the schedule from May 21st, I suspect that they might have had to wait some time from June 22nd to get their evidentiary hearing scheduled.

Filing before IMR's revenue stream dried up just means they have a pretty fucking good idea as to when IMR's revenue stream was going to dry up. Filing when they did gave them the very first available court date to present evidence after IMR's contract runs out. Meaning that even if Topps grants them the extension, they can see the terms of that extension and formulate a legal response.

What possible strategic benefit do you imagine for waiting?

-Username17
cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

The other reason not to wait is, if as AU claims they will go volutarily bankrupt anyway in a period of months - where creditors will get cents on the dollar back, tactically filing now may force payment where you get dollar for dollar back because iMR doesn't want to fold while the license is up.

You'd have to be fucking retarded to wait - it's better to file before rather than after if you think that the company doesn't have the money to pay all its debts.

As we know before, it's likely that the guys suing know that the company is insolvent, thus they are a launching a two pronged assault and attempt to force full payment before they go bankrupt so they get all their money back, rather than a likely partial refund in case of bankruptcy.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

The sooner you force bankruptcy, the less time and chance someone else convinces the bankruptee to pay them off first.

And like I said, if the Colemans were driving the bankruptcy, the limited liability of the llc would definitely be used to its utmost.

-Crissa
Fuchs
Duke

Post by Fuchs »

Asbestos is an idiot. He does not even understand that one of the primary reasons to file a bankruptcy claim is to get paid because your debtor wants to avoid going bankrupt. That's what "forcing a payment" means.

He also has no clue about the realities of business and law. In order to undo a "bad deal" the judge has to know of that the deal happened. Without documentation (aka the books) that's rather hard to arrange. And we know IMR has trouble with its financial documentation. We know co-mingling did happen, that contracts and records are not complete. A prime opportunity to funnel money out with no one the wiser.

That's why speed is often so important - the longer you wait, the less you get.
Asbestos Underwear
1st Level

Fuchs wrote:Asbestos is an idiot. He does not even understand that one of the primary reasons to file a bankruptcy claim is to get paid because your debtor wants to avoid going bankrupt. That's what "forcing a payment" means.

He also has no clue about the realities of business and law. In order to undo a "bad deal" the judge has to know of that the deal happened. Without documentation (aka the books) that's rather hard to arrange. And we know IMR has trouble with its financial documentation. We know co-mingling did happen, that contracts and records are not complete. A prime opportunity to funnel money out with no one the wiser.

That's why speed is often so important - the longer you wait, the less you get.
Payment because of a litigation threat or filed suit is usually a "preferential payment." It's made outside the course of ordinary business and a trustee can undo it and distribute the money evenly amongst similarly situated creditors.

Note that AH was wary to cash the check he received after he cancelled his contracts because he's concerned it may get clawed back in a bankruptcy. Small potatoes and probably not true since he payment helped get books on the shelves, but its a very real concern any time you exert pressure on someone who owes you something and is on the verge of failure.

I've seen similar situations play out really badly. A owes money to B, C and me. B threatens a lawsuit and gets paid out. C and I remain in the dark. Avoiding that kind of disparity is exactly why bankruptcy courts can unwind payments. The bankruptcy gets filed, the trustee grabs the money back and splits it between B, C and D. But B's already spent the money. He has to scramble to find cash to fork over and ends up totally hosed because he had no idea he'd messed up by demanding he be treated better than everyone else owed money.

You can't claw back things that are done while a company is technically solvent. Until they're in the red, they can pay whoever and however they want without clawback concerns. But no one thinks IMR is or was recently solvent, so that's a non-issue.
Last edited by Asbestos Underwear on Sat May 29, 2010 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fuchs
Duke

Post by Fuchs »

You forget that with Coleman having co-mingled money, and having a house valued at 650K, there's not a great chance that the judge will go after a 37K transaction instead of going after Coleman.

Not to mention that this once again was a reason to file a suit asap, before the license is lost and revenue dries up.

I really wonder why all those IMR followers conveniently forget about what Coleman did - which was taking 750K out of IMR's coffres.

You can't tell me you honestly believe that was ok.
Gelare
Knight-Baron

Post by Gelare »

Crissa wrote:The sooner you force bankruptcy, the less time and chance someone else convinces the bankruptee to pay them off first.

And like I said, if the Colemans were driving the bankruptcy, the limited liability of the llc would definitely be used to its utmost.

-Crissa
I wouldn't be too worried about the "limited liability" part of LLC. Not only has there been extensive co-mingling of funds, meaning the judge can basically play with Loren Coleman's entire piggy bank, but also Loren Coleman has done enough wrongful things that he is directly responsible for, which the corporate shield cannot protect him from.
Ganbare Gincun
Duke

Post by Ganbare Gincun »

Fuchs wrote:I really wonder why all those IMR followers conveniently forget about what Coleman did - which was taking 750K out of IMR's coffres.

You can't tell me you honestly believe that was ok.
Come on. What's a little embezzlement amongst friends? :lol:
martian_bob
1st Level

Post by martian_bob »

Asbestos Underwear wrote: #1 is irrational, from a business perspective. Wildfire seems to want to keep their game line running, not axe LLC in the back. So that's out the window.
Really? You must know the Wildfire guys pretty well. If I were them, I'd go for the throat at this point, business perspective be damned. Furthermore, you're committing the fallacy of the excluded middle - it's not like Wildfire keeping a viable line precludes their ability to axe LLC in the back, or the other way 'round.
Fuchs
Duke

Post by Fuchs »

Anyone but friends of Coleman who support his actions and inactions would have done the same in Wildfire's place.
Clutch9800
Master

Post by Clutch9800 »

Hmm,,Can they go after his house? If the Colemans really are the sole owners of the LLC, and they are the ones who (appear to have) looted it, one would think that the assets of the LLC itself are in play, not any assets of the owners.

I'm not sure that the bankruptcy of a company can trickle down to the siezure of the personal property of the owners of said company. As a matter of fact, I don't think they can take your house in a personal bankruptcy.

Now the revenuers, they can take your house.

Clutch

P.S. To all non americans "Revenuers" is a coloquial term we use for the IRS. If we're a toothless hillbilly living an a hillbilly shack
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Normally speaking, the personal assets of members of a Limited Liability Corporation have no bearing on the debts of that corporation. However there is a thing called "Alter Ego Theory" that can be invoked in the case of comingled funds - where assets of the member can be considered as assets of the corporation for purposes of debts (and vice versa). Once that is invoked, the house that was contracted and built during a period of fund comingling could be used to repay company debts - if the creditors could show that fund comingling had occurred. Of course, with an actual press release from IMR admitting to comingling funds, that's not going to be a hard case to make.

The other issue of course is "homestead" protection. That is, during bankruptcy proceedings, a person is allowed to keep certain of their personal effects - including their home - even if their bank account gets cleaned out. The thing is that there are limits in value to the home you are allowed to hold onto. And those vary state by state. Florida is famous for having a very generous homestead protection, while Washington State is... not. So as I understand it, Coleman would be able to declare homestead protection for his original house, but not for the mansion he had built in 2008.

But really, I want to talk about motives and sides for a moment. There are simply put: a lot more than two sides. And a lot more than two goals. Consider the motivation that Jay Levine claims (and which I believe): he wants to be personally financially secure, he wants Shadowrun products to be made at a high level of quality with a reasonable release schedule, he wants to work for and be associated with companies that behave professionally and ethically, and he wants to write Shadowrun material. All perfectly understandable motivations. The way he ranks those goals means that he:
  • Will not gamble his savings on trying to start a game company of his own.
  • Will not continue to work for IMR or the management of IMR at a new company.
  • Will write Shadowrun material at the drop of a hat for a new company with a new management team that promises timely ad well followed contracts.
  • May (or may not) purchase more Shadowrun products produced by IMR, depending on how he feels about it at the time.
And you know what? That's a reasonably common position to have amongst the former writers who I respect. And what that means is that if Snadstorm gets the license, Jay Levine will probably do some writing for Sandstorm. But it also means that if Pegasus got the license, that Jay Levine would probably do some writing for Pegasus. And if those Dutch guys got the license? Or Green Ronin? Same deal.

Which means that there are a lot of people who would cheer if David Stansel-Garner got the license who aren't specifically on David Stansel-Garner's side. Their side is "Not IMR, but somebody else who can manage to maintain a release schedule and pay contracts on time." And the thing to understand is, I'm on that side. Not because I would go write for the new company at all (whoever they are, they almost certainly wouldn't even want my input); but because a number of writers whose work I want to read would.

It's beyond simply that I want to read Jay Levine's take on Aztlan/CAS conflicts moving into the latter half of the 2070s (although I do). It's that I don't want anything Jason Hardy has licked entering canon. The plotline to War! is stupid, and I don't want it polluting the storyline. It's like YotC stupid. IMR is actively bad for Shadowrun, and as a Shadowrun loyalist, I don't want them involved.

-Username17
Endovior
Knight-Baron

Post by Endovior »

In a normal corporate bankruptcy, no, they could not go after his house. In a normal personal bankruptcy, the same would apply. In this case, however, there's been fraud and commingling of funds... so special provisions apply. The IRS could certainly take his house for tax evasion... but given the circumstances, a judge could just as easily order his house seized and sold to pay his creditors. The question here isn't an if, it's a when... and a who.

Specifically, it's 'when will all the Colemans' assets get seized?' and 'who will get them, afterward?' This is not unlikely to default to the IRS, if everyone else is too slow to get their acts together... hence the involuntary bankruptcy proceedings.

EDIT: Heh, Ninja'd by Frank.
Last edited by Endovior on Sun May 30, 2010 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clutch9800
Master

Post by Clutch9800 »

However there is a thing called "Alter Ego Theory" that can be invoked in the case of comingled funds

I realize you're not a Lawyer, but what is the burdern of proof for the "Alter Ego Theory". Is it prima facia, or is it a bit closer to beyond a reasonable doubt. I'm aware that most Administrative Cases are prima facia, but if you're going to go down what (to me) seems like a rabbit hole called the "Alter Ego Theory", then the burden of proof would be higher.

Any idea?

Clutch
Clutch9800
Master

Post by Clutch9800 »

Speaking of "Rabbit Holes".

What about the Coleman's three kids.

I know the knee-jerk reaction is "What about em". But I like to think that I am one of the good guys. As such, shouldn't "collateral damage" be considered?

I'm not having a go at anyone, I'm just throwing it out there.

Clutch
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Clutch9800 wrote:Speaking of "Rabbit Holes".

I know the knee-jerk reaction is "What about em". But I like to think that I am one of the good guys. As such, shouldn't "collateral damage" be considered?

Clutch
Lorens' kids are not my problem. Jennifer's kids are not my problem either. However, at the beginning of this debacle there was a genuine inquiry by fans about whether they could help out Jennifer's kids and make sure they had food until she got a new job. And Loren Coleman's bully boys Ken Horner and Bull intervened to sink the thread by spamming it with off topic bullshit until the conversation fell apart. So my sympathy for Loren and his ability to raise his children is... limited. Considering that he specifically did not extend such a courtesy to his own opponents.

But really, you could just ask him. Laughingman2070 is extremely likely to be Loren L Coleman. See what he has to say about endangering the welfare of his own offspring by committing financial crimes.

-Username17
cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

Clutch9800 wrote:Speaking of "Rabbit Holes".

Clutch
When you file for personal bankruptcy, you have a limited number of protected assets - and realistically I suspect Coleman has a college degree and could get another job doing clerking or whatever. His kids will go to school and eat.

So having established no-one cares - the burden of proof to pierce the veil is dependant on jurisdiction, but is generally only possible when the LLC owners have failed to make a clear distiction betwen personal and business accounts, assets, payments, etc.

IMR has admitted to failing to maintain this separation, so I would anticipate they are going down.