The Shadowrun Situation

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Clutch9800
Master

Post by Clutch9800 »

But really, you could just ask him. Laughingman2070 is extremely likely to be Loren L Coleman. See what he has to say about endangering the welfare of his own offspring by committing financial crimes.
There's zero chance that Laughingman is Loren. Loren wouldn't have called you "Frankie" he'd of made a pun out of your name. Calling a man by a boy's name is the hallmark of a woman, so my money is on Camille.

That said, don't confuse having a "bully pulpit" with being a "bully boy". I don't think that Ken and Bull were ever working under orders from Coleman. That would require:

A. Organization

B. A will to harm

Personally, I think they were just being the goofy assed guys that they are.

Loren doesn't have a college degree that I'm aware of. He was a nuclear electronicsman in the Navy. I'm pretty sure he was in engineering on the Nimitz.

Clutch
Last edited by Clutch9800 on Sun May 30, 2010 4:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Taharqa
Journeyman

Post by Taharqa »

FrankTrollman wrote: But really, you could just ask him. Laughingman2070 is extremely likely to be Loren L Coleman. See what he has to say about endangering the welfare of his own offspring by committing financial crimes.
-Username17
I am pretty skeptical about that. LaughingMan's story didn't exactly paint Loren in a positive light. Now maybe you could argue that's misdirection, but then we are clearly back to speculation.
Centurion13
Journeyman

Post by Centurion13 »

FrankTrollman wrote:Laughingman2070 is extremely likely to be Loren L Coleman. -Username17
This whole internet thing still trips me out. No, really. It would be beyond weird to have someone here listening, watching and commenting on speculation concerning his own financial demise.

Almost like attending your own funeral....
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Centurion13 wrote:
FrankTrollman wrote:Laughingman2070 is extremely likely to be Loren L Coleman. -Username17
This whole internet thing still trips me out. No, really. It would be beyond weird to have someone here listening, watching and commenting on speculation concerning his own financial demise.

Almost like attending your own funeral....
I'd do it. just for shits and giggles. Both.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

I am pretty skeptical about that. LaughingMan's story didn't exactly paint Loren in a positive light. Now maybe you could argue that's misdirection, but then we are clearly back to speculation.
There are several reasons that it is likely that Laughingman2070 is Loren Coleman. The first and most obvious one is that Loren Coleman has a huge Harlequin man crush. You'd have to read the early drafts of The Corruption Master plotline that Loren Coleman wanted to inflict on Shadowrun to fully grasp how much of a Harlequin fanboy he is, but there's that. For those of you unfamiliar with old-school Shadowrun books, the character Harlequin used to post under the name "Laughing Man" before Rob took him out of the Shadowtalkers rotation.

But the most important reason is that Laughingman "knows" a number of things that Loren believes and appears to know things that only Loren could know. For example, there was the attempt by David Stansel-Garner to buy Loren out of the company back before he knew the extent of the financial straits that IMR was in. That was a private discussion. As far as I know, the only people involved in that discussion were David Stansel-Garner and Loren L. Coleman. For whatever reason, those negotiations collapsed, and whether the pile on the table was fifty thousand or fifty million dollars is something that only those two people could know.

There are a number of other stylistic and informational cues in his presentation, but that's enough really. If it isn't Loren Coleman, it's someone who gets up to date information from Loren Coleman. And is fighting the war of words for Loren Coleman in the manner in which he thinks it should be fought. And who is leaving false trails to make us think he is Loren Coleman on top of that.

I think Loren Coleman really believes that David Stansel-Garner is his primary enemy, and that I am working for him. If my presentation of why and how I am not penetrated him at all, I suspect it was a Phildickian moment for him.

-Username17
Clutch9800
Master

Post by Clutch9800 »

Okay,

Firstly. I'm a Harlequin fan, except for some reasons that I might get into later.

Secondy. You're really reaching. If you could write a plot as thick as what you propose, I'd buy it.

Loren has not a single valid reason to acknowledge your existence Frank.

If his problems are as big as you say, you're irrelivent to them. If he's as Machiavellian as you "seem" to think, you're probably working for him. Albiet as an unpaid fanboy of a person who indirectly works for him.

The guy has never ever been a big internet presence. Now, when the chips are down and he's got actual lawyers telling him what he should and should not do; he's going to crawl out of the woodwork to match wits with the Mighty Frank Trollman on an ubscure message board?

It's a stretch bud.

Clutch
Taharqa
Journeyman

Post by Taharqa »

FrankTrollman wrote: But the most important reason is that Laughingman "knows" a number of things that Loren believes and appears to know things that only Loren could know. For example, there was the attempt by David Stansel-Garner to buy Loren out of the company back before he knew the extent of the financial straits that IMR was in. That was a private discussion. As far as I know, the only people involved in that discussion were David Stansel-Garner and Loren L. Coleman. For whatever reason, those negotiations collapsed, and whether the pile on the table was fifty thousand or fifty million dollars is something that only those two people could know.
-Username17
But you seem to know something about it, at the very least that only those two people knew about it, which seems like a Catch-22. Presumably your information is flowing from your second-hand information from DSG. So why is inconveivable that the same thing may have happened on the other end?
Centurion13
Journeyman

Post by Centurion13 »

FrankTrollman wrote:
There are several reasons that it is likely that Laughingman2070 is Loren Coleman. The first and most obvious one is that Loren Coleman has a huge Harlequin man crush. You'd have to read the early drafts of The Corruption Master plotline that Loren Coleman wanted to inflict on Shadowrun to fully grasp how much of a Harlequin fanboy he is, but there's that. For those of you unfamiliar with old-school Shadowrun books, the character Harlequin used to post under the name "Laughing Man" before Rob took him out of the Shadowtalkers rotation.

But the most important reason is that Laughingman "knows" a number of things that Loren believes and appears to know things that only Loren could know. For example, there was the attempt by David Stansel-Garner to buy Loren out of the company back before he knew the extent of the financial straits that IMR was in. That was a private discussion. As far as I know, the only people involved in that discussion were David Stansel-Garner and Loren L. Coleman. For whatever reason, those negotiations collapsed, and whether the pile on the table was fifty thousand or fifty million dollars is something that only those two people could know.

There are a number of other stylistic and informational cues in his presentation, but that's enough really. If it isn't Loren Coleman, it's someone who gets up to date information from Loren Coleman. And is fighting the war of words for Loren Coleman in the manner in which he thinks it should be fought. And who is leaving false trails to make us think he is Loren Coleman on top of that.

I think Loren Coleman really believes that David Stansel-Garner is his primary enemy, and that I am working for him. If my presentation of why and how I am not penetrated him at all, I suspect it was a Phildickian moment for him.

-Username17
So if not actually the Coleman, probably the next best thing.

My guess is that if anything, the person in question is here to gather info and misdirect. And if their ego is as big as I think it is, they already have one foot firmly set in a world of their own devising. It's an illusion, but it's their illusion - of power, of secrecy, of control, whatever - and where better to play that game than at the one place you need not actually be yourself? Ever?

If he's here gathering information against his 'enemies', he should PM me. I will be happy to provide my name, number and address so he can fill out another slot on his shit list.

I consider being on Loren Coleman's shit list a point in my favor.

Cent13
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Clutch9800 wrote: If he's as Machiavellian as you "seem" to think, you're probably working for him. Albiet as an unpaid fanboy of a person who indirectly works for him.
I have interacted with Frank for about 10 years now. I doubt he's working for Loren in any way.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Clutch9800
Master

Post by Clutch9800 »

I'll admit that one way or the nother this is "crunch time".
If he's here gathering information against his 'enemies', he should PM me. I will be happy to provide my name, number and address so he can fill out another slot on his shit list.

I consider being on Loren Coleman's shit list a point in my favor.
I'd rather not be on anybodys shit list. Even in this debacle, what's the point?

I have a beef with Dave. He know's why, I know why.

If he and I want to throw sand at each other in a sandbox.

That ain't none of ya'lls business.

Clutch.

P.S. That does include current debtors. Your claims to Shadowrun or Battletech are no more valid than those that came before.
Last edited by Clutch9800 on Sun May 30, 2010 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clutch9800
Master

Post by Clutch9800 »

Frank is a pud puller.

Not only that he pulls posts's.

Frank. Don't pull anymore posts. It makes you look amateurish.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Clutch wrote:I have a beef with Dave. He know's why, I know why.
Does it have anything to do with your rampant and offensive homophobia?
Clutch wrote:Frank is a pud puller.

Does anyone know what this means?

-Username17
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

FrankTrollman wrote:

-Username17
I volunteer myself as not being someone who does.

But at least part of it sounds like he is accusing you of posting something then deleting it...?

Like that's a heinous crime or something.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
The Greek
NPC

Post by The Greek »

FrankTrollman wrote:

-Username17
In the UK by calling you a 'pud-puller' he would be calling you a 'wanker', since a pud is another term for a penis. Not sure if the same applies anywhere else in the world.

(((Hmmm, first post defines a fairly obscure sexual insult. Does that get me extra points?)))
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Frank, don't forget misogyny.
Clutch9800 wrote:Calling a man by a boy's name is the hallmark of a woman.
-Crissa
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Crissa wrote:Frank, don't forget misogyny.
Clutch9800 wrote:Calling a man by a boy's name is the hallmark of a woman.
-Crissa
Crissa, since you are the expert on misogyny, could you explain what the fuck that is supposed to mean?

I mean, I can tell it is supposed to be an insult to women or something, because he's insulting someone by calling them a woman, but what the fuck is all this manboy names shit? A man and a boy have the same name, unless the guy went to have his name legally changed at some point.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Centurion13
Journeyman

Post by Centurion13 »

FrankTrollman wrote:
Clutch wrote:I have a beef with Dave. He know's why, I know why.
Does it have anything to do with your rampant and offensive homophobia?

-Username17
Eh, it seems like he squirts that stuff out when the signal to noise ratio, as you call it, starts getting more signal and less noise.

In other words, he's here to make mischief in ways calculated to be so offensive that in the ensuing chaos, you don't realize the chaos was the point.

But I think Frank has mentioned this somewhere. If not in this universe, probably the one next door.

Cent13
Last edited by Centurion13 on Sun May 30, 2010 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Kaelik wrote:I mean, I can tell it is supposed to be an insult to women or something, because he's insulting someone by calling them a woman, but what the fuck is all this manboy names shit? A man and a boy have the same name, unless the guy went to have his name legally changed at some point.
*sigh*

Look, I have you ignored for a reason, but Frank would whine if I didn't answer your question in good faith.

His statement does several things which reinforce a patriarchal setting. First, it assumes that men and women write or do things differently, which is false. Next, it brings up women as incapable of making rhymes or puns while men are, shorting a woman's ability vs a man's. Again, it suggests an infantilism as a feminine attack; which is another way of displaying women as inferior. Lastly, it purports that a man being called a nick-name or 'boy's name' is an insult, a loss of manhood.

So there's four reasons; a belief in inequality, a belief that women are mentally inferior, a belief that women are childish, and a belief that men are somehow special for having reached adulthood.

And no, I'm not going to argue about this.

-Crissa

stupid spelling
Last edited by Crissa on Mon May 31, 2010 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Clutch9800 wrote: Loren doesn't have a college degree that I'm aware of. He was a nuclear electronicsman in the Navy. I'm pretty sure he was in engineering on the Nimitz.

Clutch
:gross:

Fuck, that was MY job. I wasn't on the Nimitz, I was on the Stennis, but still, the idea of having the same military career as this douchenozzle makes my skin crawl.

How long has he been out? Someone should probably phone his department and tell him that he's being accused of massive fraud. :hehehe: I'm sure the people who supervised his work would be happy to know that, considering how absurdly anal the nuclear power program is about properly conducting maintenance.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Centurion13
Journeyman

Post by Centurion13 »

Crissa wrote:So there's four reasons; a belief in inequality, a belief that women are mentally inferior, a belief that women are childish, and a belief that men are somehow special for having reached adulthood.

And no, I'm not going to argue about this.
No need. You summed it up nicely.
Clutch9800
Master

Post by Clutch9800 »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:
Clutch9800 wrote: Loren doesn't have a college degree that I'm aware of. He was a nuclear electronicsman in the Navy. I'm pretty sure he was in engineering on the Nimitz.

Clutch
:gross:

Fuck, that was MY job. I wasn't on the Nimitz, I was on the Stennis, but still, the idea of having the same military career as this douchenozzle makes my skin crawl.

How long has he been out? Someone should probably phone his department and tell him that he's being accused of massive fraud. :hehehe: I'm sure the people who supervised his work would be happy to know that, considering how absurdly anal the nuclear power program is about properly conducting maintenance.
I don't think that "phoning his department" is going to make much difference.

Clutch
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

That was a meanspirited crack that bordered on an in-joke, Cluch9800. It relies on the assumption that it's 'surprising' that someone suspected of such massive fraud has at one point been in charge of supervising the electronic circuitry that runs the computers onboard the nuclear power plant. And that maybe we should tell someone that one of the people they trusted was retroactively revealed to not be on the Up-and-Up. Because nuclear power is more serious than plundering dumbass gaming companies.

Savvy? :nuts:
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Clutch9800
Master

Post by Clutch9800 »

His statement does several things which reinforce a patriarchal setting.
Which is where we find ourselves.
First, it assumes that men and women write or do things differently, which is false.
No, that's true
Next, it brings up women as incapable of making rhymes or puns while men are
Nope. I'm sure you are. Trust me. It's just that I didn't recognize the style.
It suggests infantilism as a feminine attack; which is another way of displaying women as inferior.
Lastly, it purports that a man being called a nick-name or 'boy's name' is an insult, a loss of manhood.

We embrace it from the women we trust. I'll leave it to you to figure out the rest.

Clutch
Kithkanan
NPC

Post by Kithkanan »

Crissa wrote: First, it assumes that men and women write or do things differently, which is false.
They do, from the bathroom to killing. Pretending women and men are the same is just as bad as assuming one is lesser than the other. The genders are different.
Sir Neil
Knight-Baron

Post by Sir Neil »

Count Arioch the 28th wrote:I have interacted with Frank for about 10 years now.
Time flies.