The Madness Spiral

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Palladium is the competition to D&D. D&D never did well in the sci-fi market. Rifts is the dumb competition to GURPS or some crazy Champions setting or something.

-Crissa
TheFlatline
Prince

Post by TheFlatline »

Yes, I should have said Palladium. But all of Palladium can play inside of Rifts, which is why I was getting muddled up.

And I'd say Palladium *was* the competition. That torch has been passed several times since those days.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

the thing is that that is one of the things that makes Rifts fun, and gave it so much potential as a setting. It's a post apocalyptic world with high tech and magic side by side and anything from anywhere can show up. I had a friend play the farmer from Harvest Moon, for fucks sake. That's the potential and the one really fun thing about the world. But the shitty system makes it so it cannot be anything more than just a beer and pretzels game.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
RandomCasualty2
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty2 »

Prak_Anima wrote:the thing is that that is one of the things that makes Rifts fun, and gave it so much potential as a setting. It's a post apocalyptic world with high tech and magic side by side and anything from anywhere can show up. I had a friend play the farmer from Harvest Moon, for fucks sake. That's the potential and the one really fun thing about the world. But the shitty system makes it so it cannot be anything more than just a beer and pretzels game.
Yeah, though I mean, the system is so unbalanced that you really can't play anything from anywhere.

Well... you can, you'll just suck so hard and since it's like effectively a single class system, it doesn't seem possible to go from a farmer to a mecha pilot.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

People actually played Rifts? I thought it was some kind of weird DM punishment. Like, 'dammit, Bob, if you don't stop trying to get your CE Barbarian a katana we're going to play RIFTS! Then you're going to get it!' and all of the players would have a good laugh and spill the bowl of corn chips.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Nah, it seriously can be fun. I bet Frank can tell you some great stories about it, though all I remember is his mention of the TMNT game where they were mutant wolverines? from the moon, with magic and a spaceship and lasers. From the moon.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
TheFlatline
Prince

Post by TheFlatline »

TMNT was wacky fun. I know lots of people who enjoyed playing that setting.

We used to play a lot of Robotech, but never much Rifts. We'd agree on power level (no MDC characters) and then some asshat wold go make a Juicer just to destroy the game balance and the game would end before it began.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

TheFlatline wrote:We'd agree on power level (no MDC characters)
Well there's your problem. People like Rifts because it's high-power everywhere. Also, a laser pen will one-shot you if you're not MDC, and armour doesn't cut it: you don't seem to get much actual stuff aside from your crazy expensive starting gear, and armour gets chewed up pretty quickly. You want natural MDC, for the regen-factor.

Say "MDC only" and see how it goes. Try a Dragon, Mega Juicer and Tattoo'd Man, for instance.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
TheFlatline
Prince

Post by TheFlatline »

We would. And then someone would inevitably decide to play a farmer and bitch and complain.

Granted, all of this was done back in high school where the players went out of their way to be disruptive to the game.

It's not a specific Rifts issue. It's an issue whenever you want to run a certain power level or certain focus of the game. In Shadowrun I ran a game where one player was a simsense DJ/star, and it was a completely non-combat game that worked fantastic. Three players tried to join, and after explaining how the game was completely, 100% non-combat, pure roleplaying, all three made combat monkeys and then complained that there was nothing to do.

Some players just want to play what they want to play, to hell with the rest of the group.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Round 2: Fight!

OK, that is a pretty low blow. Now granted, Trion just deflected an obviously spurious lawsuit from Palladium and Palladium vowed to fight forever to the bitter end. So perhaps Trion going after the bitter end is reasonable. Still. Ouch.

-Username17
Wyzzard
Apprentice

Post by Wyzzard »

I take it Kevin Siembieda hasn't watched The People vs. Larry Flynt?

"Countersue!"
Ganbare Gincun
Duke

Post by Ganbare Gincun »

I won't shed a single tear if Palladium Games gets sued out of existence. Whenever you throw frivolous lawsuits around, you're bound to eventually get burned. Live by the sword, die by the sword.
Last edited by Ganbare Gincun on Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
RandomCasualty2
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty2 »

Ganbare Gincun wrote:I won't shed a single tear if Palladium Games gets sued out of existence. Whenever you throw frivolous lawsuits around, you're bound to eventually get burned. Live by the sword, die by the sword.
Yeah, frankly I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner.
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

Ganbare Gincun wrote:I won't shed a single tear if Palladium Games gets sued out of existence. Whenever you throw frivolous lawsuits around, you're bound to eventually get burned. Live by the sword, die by the sword.
Amen to this. Hope the RIAA is next on the chopping block.
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Jason Richards wrote:Palladium announced at the outset of these legal troubles they they are in talks with developers of MMO games to finally bring Rifts to video gamers, everywhere. (...)
Palladium also recently announced that they are pursuing Rifts applications for Facebook and the iPhone and other mobile devices.
I bet no plans were made outside of "what if" and Siembieda is trying to pull a Langdell here.