The Official "4e Critique and Rebuttal" Thread

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

Torko wrote:But the fire spell shouldn't actually cause someone to catch on fire. Just make them a little tired.
I cannot determine whether or not you are being facetious.
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Chamomile wrote:Ant, what do we do about Psychic Robot?
You do not seem to do anything.
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

Here's why I fucking hate 4rries. This is probably too close to a laugh/cry/whatever thread, but my rage. Oh, my rage.
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
TOZ
Duke

Post by TOZ »

What. The. Bloody. Fuck. I want the cut out 'interesting informative discussion' after that fuckfest.
Hieronymous Rex
Journeyman

Post by Hieronymous Rex »

hogarth wrote:
violence in the media wrote: If you want characters to sleep each day, put in rules for not doing so. If you want them only using certain powers once a day, do that. Don't try and conflate the two goals.
If you're talking to Gary Gygax, you're about 30 years too late. Like it or not, the D&D wizard's bullshit Vancian system of memorizing spells and then needing to rest in order to rememorize them has been constant across all editions.
If I may nitpick, "true" Vancian (that is, like it worked in the fiction written by Vance) doesn't require a rest at all; spells simply take a certain time to prepare, and you can re-prepare as many times as you want.

That being said, I despise any mechanic based on scenes/plot points/etc..

EDIT: Want to know MORE? WAY MORE?
Last edited by Hieronymous Rex on Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
RiotGearEpsilon
Knight

Post by RiotGearEpsilon »

Hieronymous Rex wrote:If I may nitpick, "true" Vancian (that is, like it worked in the fiction written by Vance) doesn't require a rest at all; spells simply take a certain time to prepare, and you can re-prepare as many times as you want.
"True" Vancian is also awesome because your spells are more like small air-to-ground missiles or surreal ongoing mutations you pick up. You only get like 4 and every one of them will be completely fucking astounding.
For Valor
Knight-Baron

Post by For Valor »

PR, I can see a lot of reasons for hating 4rries in that thread.

Was there any one in particular you wanted to point out? Or are we just supposed to seethe in fury at the thread in general?
Mask wrote:And for the love of all that is good and unholy, just get a fucking hippogrif mount and pretend its a flying worg.
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

Seethe in fury at the cult-like nature of their devotion to the game.
Ant wrote:
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

Psychic Robot wrote:
Here's why I fucking hate 4rries. This is probably too close to a laugh/cry/whatever thread, but my rage. Oh, my rage.
You got trolled, you stupid fuck.

Quit getting mad at /tg/ posts.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

Implying that they were trolling and not being typical 4rries.
Ant wrote:
For Valor
Knight-Baron

Post by For Valor »

a) That might be true, Mask, but the comments sound normal enough. A bunch of people who barely skim the responses, repeat what was said before, and reboot the whole argument... looks like your average forum to me.

b) What's /tg/?
Mask wrote:And for the love of all that is good and unholy, just get a fucking hippogrif mount and pretend its a flying worg.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

For Valor wrote:
b) What's /tg/?
It stands for Traditional Games, it's a section on 4chan.
For Valor
Knight-Baron

Post by For Valor »

oh.... that's why none of the responses are unreasonable not worth shit.
Last edited by For Valor on Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

For Valor wrote:b) What's /tg/?
http://boards.4chan.org/tg/
[*]The Ends Of The Matrix: Github and Rendered
[*]After Sundown: Github and Rendered
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Psychic Robot wrote:Implying that they were trolling and not being typical 4rries.
>Implying there's a difference. Also, implying you can imply without greentext.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
TOZ
Duke

Post by TOZ »

>Implying your mom.
For Valor
Knight-Baron

Post by For Valor »

>Implying total derailment of the thread.
A Man In Black
Duke

Post by A Man In Black »

implying
Fucking summer.
TheWorid
Master

Post by TheWorid »

>implying implications
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

TIME FOR SOME THREAD NECROMANCY.

I will occasionally head over to the 4e general forums just to see what kind of crazy shit they're cooking up, and believe it or not, we've got a lot of it today. I'm not going to link the threads, but I'm going to quote some of the most egregious "4e is a shitty videogame" offenders.
Some Newbie About to Get Sodomized wrote:I'm new to 4e, but it seems to me like most of the powers are entirely focused on combat. I tried to use one of my powers (Chill Wind) to blow away some smoke that was obscuring my view and the DM asked me what does it say on the power card. Obviously the real effects of the power are not described, just the combat advantages. I play to role play more than for combat gaming and I think my powers should have real life effects outside of combat. How do other people feel on this topic?
Cancer wrote:I believe that going off of the flavor text is a very poor method of deciding what powers "really" do, because a basic assumption is that you take mechanical actions and the effects are then made to jibe with the mechanical results. Trying to run it the other way is where you get the guys whining that "hamstring" doesn't eternally cripple anyone it hits.
Cancer wrote:They can certainly be useful as inspirations, but trying to use attack powers to do things cultivates an excessively limiting mindset on the one hand and throws the math out of whack on the other.
Cancer wrote:Because the smoke is an obstacle, therefore overcoming it requires effort, not having picked an at-will that happens to have a vaguely related name.

Which isn't to say that the use of your more impressive abilities doesn't have its place out of combat. You want to blow a daily power on the thing? Yeah, in that case, automatic success against a related obstacle is probably warranted.
4e is a videogame written for autistics.
Ant wrote:
Sarandosil
Apprentice

Post by Sarandosil »

Psychic Robot wrote: 4e is a videogame written for autistics.
When did this start becoming a popular insult? I don't ever recall seeing this before like two years ago.

Also fuck you.
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

Also fuck you.
'Sperg rush detected.
Ant wrote:
Molochio
Journeyman

Post by Molochio »

While this thread is a fine sentiment, those who contribute lack the focus required for it's deliberation.

My critique of 4e is that it is a cheap, and rather transparent marketing ploy, to increase income via system overhaul.
This will ideally lead to the reproduction of all 3e books with new and, in some cases, inferior playability, and their subsequent purchase by the victims.

Thereafter, the hapless lemmings will be railroaded into buying 4e, the 4e magic card, add ons, 4.5e, the associated books and cards, 5e, and so on...

How distasteful.
"Come... Submit... Obey... I am your friend and master. Your thoughts are like water to me."
Krakatoa
Journeyman

Post by Krakatoa »

Oh my gosh, Wizards of the Coast putting out a product to make money! Those bastards!
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Molochio wrote: My critique of 4e is that it is a cheap, and rather transparent marketing ploy, to increase income via system overhaul.
Honestly, 4E or something like it needed to happen anyway. Even though I like 3E, the fact is that by the end of its lifecycle it had become a near-unplayable kludge of crap due to people compounding on its initial errors.

Of course the morons who started out making 3.5E worse than 3.0E and then driving it into the ground ended up running the asylum anyway. So our dream edition didn't happen. Even though I firmly believe that RPG writing is a skill that you have to practice, the lack of improvement in the usual stable of WotC idiots (Collins, Slavicsek, Mearls, Wyatt, Cordell) and the baffling shark-jumping of a couple of others (Heinsoo, Noonan) I would rather take my chances with an entirely new crew than give them another chance.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

I am wondering, with all the big names failing to make true improvements on their systems why there hasn't been a flood of third party publishers flooding the market with better quality/ innovative and new / self styled improvements on systems that already exist. If I recall there was a bunch of shit flying out with 3rd why haven't we seen the same with WW, SR, and WOTC all collectively fucking up?
The first rule of Fatclub. Don't Talk about Fatclub..
If you want a game modded right you have to mod it yourself.