A retraction regarding gaming websites

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Doesn't matter where, although a small place like Cleveland hardly is going to outweigh the Catholics in California and Massachusetts. The point is easily verifiable.

-Crissa
Datawolf
Journeyman

Post by Datawolf »

norms29 wrote:I don't know where you guy's experiance lies, but my experiance in America has been that Catholics rarely care wat Catholicism has to say on any political subject. the most well known position the church has is a staunch opposition to Abortion, but a vast majority of catholics have proven incredibly loyal to pro-choice candidates.
Just out of curiousity, where did you get this information (about Catholic loyalty to pro-choice candidates)? Not that I don't believe you or anything but I'd be interested in looking at that particular report or study.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Abortion will always be a thorn in the side of American libruls, specifically the Democrats.

If that issue upped and went away then the Demonrat party would have a significant if not permanent advantage in the USA, especially in the next twenty years.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

norms29 wrote: the most well known position the church has is a staunch opposition to Abortion, but a vast majority of catholics have proven incredibly loyal to pro-choice candidates.
Doesn't the Catholic Church bar you from communion if you vote for candidates that don't want to ban abortion?
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Count Arioch the 28th wrote:
norms29 wrote: the most well known position the church has is a staunch opposition to Abortion, but a vast majority of catholics have proven incredibly loyal to pro-choice candidates.
Doesn't the Catholic Church bar you from communion if you vote for candidates that don't want to ban abortion?
usually it's an individual church barring the candidate. There's really no way for the priest to know who you voted for, but if you Senator Killbaby, they know who you are and they will withhold communion as some kind of exercise in shaming you. As if you fucking care because you're a politician, you probably are only christian for the votes.

this is getting kind of off topic though...
Last edited by Prak on Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

Implying this entire thread isn't off-topic.
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Chamomile wrote:Ant, what do we do about Psychic Robot?
You do not seem to do anything.
norms29
Master

Post by norms29 »

Count Arioch the 28th wrote:
no, only if you ARE a candidate yourself.
datawolf wrote: Just out of curiousity, where did you get this information (about Catholic loyalty to pro-choice candidates)? Not that I don't believe you or anything but I'd be interested in looking at that particular report or study.
I'm a little embaressed to admit that I can't point to any specific study. in my life it's always been "recieved wisdom" that the Catholic "Voting Block" was fairly reliable for the Democrats. although that may have just been an over generalization based on my home region of new-england.

now that I've gone looking for evidence on the subject I'm seeing that for at least the past 10 years Catholic voters have been eveny split according to Exit Polls. which neatly [strike]undermines[/strike] destroys my initial exaggeration of Catholic voters being "incredibly loyal" to a prochoice party, but still still supports the intended point that catholics aren't particularly prone to letting their religion influence their politics.

frankly I'm still feeling confused about the implicit equation of catholics with bible thumpers that started this tangent

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/200 ... -gap_x.htm
http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Catholic+ ... 0161805171
https://scholarsbank.uoregon.edu/xmlui/ ... sequence=8
Last edited by norms29 on Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
After all, when you climb Mt. Kon Foo Sing to fight Grand Master Hung Lo and prove that your "Squirrel Chases the Jam-Coated Tiger" style is better than his "Dead Cockroach Flails Legs" style, you unleash a bunch of your SCtJCT moves, not wait for him to launch DCFL attacks and then just sit there and parry all day. And you certainly don't, having been kicked about, then say "Well you served me shitty tea before our battle" and go home.
Blicero
Duke

Post by Blicero »

Quote tags
Out beyond the hull, mucoid strings of non-baryonic matter streamed past like Christ's blood in the firmament.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Fuck, I gave you guys a link to a long list of polls.

-Crissa