Moments when a piece of entertainment completely lost you.

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

The one with Dolph Lundgren, or the one with Thomas Jayne, Maxus?

I'm willing to believe the former, but I actually liked the latter.

This is just so completely over the top that there's nothing in it. I mean... seriously. He dispatched a borderline mook by putting his fist clean through the guy's head. Punisher's a regular guy. Who kills criminals. And he wasn't wearing power armour or anything. And his fist punched clean through like the guys head was an over ripe melon.

This is madness!
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Crissa wrote:It's based off one of the versions of the comic. Blame the comic, really.

My spouse really enjoyed it. o-o

-Crissa
The movie or the comic? the comic actually seems enjoyable...
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
The Vigilante
Master

Post by The Vigilante »

Prak_Anima wrote:This is madness!
Madness ?

<insert meme here>
Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no one - for I am the meanest motherfucker in the valley.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

The Vigilante wrote:
Prak_Anima wrote:This is madness!
Madness ?

<insert meme here>
You're welcome.

Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

I'm not much of a Family Guy watcher; I saw the first two seasons, thought they were pretty funny, but missed out on seeing the later ones because apparently they cranked up the political soapboxing and the 'lol random' humor too far.

But I've seen that stupid Quagmire rant word-for-word because everyone thinks that it's the best thing ever and insist on stapling it around everywhere.

But it's retarded. It makes Quagmire look like the biggest fucking douchebag ever. Seriously, from what I know about the show Joe or Cleveland or even fucking Chris should've given it. They ruined what could've been a good moment by putting it in the wrong person's mouth. That's pretty much like King Leopold the II unironically giving David Ickes a rant on why he's insane scum. What could've been an epic and well-deserved pwning is completely neutered due to hypocrisy.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

well...it is pretty spot on (though Quagmire condemning Brian for constantly hitting on Lois is insanely hypocritical), but yes, some else should have given it. There's also the fact that it was a lot of good points, but had a lot of Family Guy dumb humour mixed in with them, so it lost some punch.

Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Except for the fact that Quagmire sexually assaults people and we've seen as such on screen. And the 'I volunteer at a soup kitchen' is insanely out of left field and out of character. And Brian has fought in defense of his beliefs (even if he did it in a stupid way), so classifying him as an armchair liberal is just wrong. And Quagmire almost certainly has way more illegitimate children. Not to mention getting an innocent if crazy woman to sacrifice his life for him after being insanely dishonest.

Again, it's like Kent Kovind calling you a douche because you pirate CDs off of the internet and then complain about the games you stole not being up to par. Even if what he said is absolutely correct, the effect is completely undercut because just voicing that complaint in such a way.

It's a classic case of botching something that could've been cool so that it just ends up infuriatingly mediocre; but people can't face that fact so they just convince themselves that it's awesome anyway. It's the Darth Maul of rants.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

I think the difference is that Quagmire in no way tries to act like he's anything he's not (Hence Quagmire admitting that he at least is honest that he only dates women for their bodies while Brian does but tries to act like he doesn't), while Brian puts on airs. I can completely understand.

Also, Quagmire isn't being financially supported by Peter, while Brain is.

Edit: But I will concede that it would have been better coming from Chris or Joe. Cleveland isn't on Family Guy anymore, he has his own show. The Cleveland Show's opening theme song is pretty awesome, but I don't much care for the show. And I don't much care for your insistence that anyone who disagrees with you is deluding themselves, but at least that's in character for you :p.
Last edited by Count Arioch the 28th on Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:17 am, edited 5 times in total.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Count Arioch the 28th wrote: I think the difference is that Quagmire in no way tries to act like he's anything he's not
1) What, it's okay to sexually assault women multiple times if you admit it? I know that Family Guy plays pretty flash and loose with its characterization, but I can recall at least three times off of the top of my head when Quagmire did this. This goes beyond the territory of 'sexpot' and goes right into 'creepy asshole'. Now I don't mind the creepy asshole characterization because FG isn't supposed to be taken seriously, but when the show wants to step into serious mode you can't just pretend like that previous shit didn't happen. Again, even if someone as vile as, say, John Wayne Gacy admits to being a murderer that doesn't give him free reign to talk about other peoples' atrocities without being a hypocrite--especially if other peoples' crimes are nowhere near as bad as his.

2) This isn't directed at you personally or even at Quagmire, but I have to get this off of my chest.

'At least I admit it' is the worst excuse in history for any asshole behavior. In fact, you lose any self-honesty points you could have gained from this statement from the inherent fact that you recognize what you're doing is bad but continue to do it anything. That doesn't just make you whatever negative trait you're trying to handwave, it also makes you some combination of arrogant and/or cowardly.

I would much rather meet an asshole who doesn't know that they're being an asshole or realize it and is ashamed of it; at least they're not idiotic enough to take pride in their failure.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:And I don't much care for your insistence that anyone who disagrees with you is deluding themselves, but at least that's in character for you
C'mon baby you know I like to talk dirty when I start ranting about children's cartoons. :kindacool:
Last edited by Lago PARANOIA on Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:'At least I admit it' is the worst excuse in history for any asshole behavior. In fact, you lose any self-honesty points you could have gained from this statement from the inherent fact that you recognize what you're doing is bad but continue to do it anything. That doesn't just make you whatever negative trait you're trying to handwave, it also makes you some combination of arrogant and/or cowardly.
It doesn't have to mean you think it is bad.

I use some variation of "I am that, but so are you, and I don't try to hide it" to decry other people for hypocrisy and to highlight that I don't find the behavior objectionable, whereas they seem to because they try to pretend they aren't X. Like for example, being an asshole. I think that's perfectly okay, but someone who is an asshole and criticizes me for being an asshole is clearly lying to either themself or everyone else.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
TOZ
Duke

Post by TOZ »

So I'm kind of irritated with Goblins the webcomic now. I've never cared for the verbal diarrhea the characters will go through to explain a background point or historical fact. It never sounds like natural dialogue. But when you waste my time with a monologue just to shit all over another characters characterization that makes me enjoy your story less.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Kaelik wrote:I use some variation of "I am that, but so are you, and I don't try to hide it" to decry other people for hypocrisy
That's what I mean. It's used to provide deflection and weasel out of responsibility in some weakass tu quoque. It's like 'thank god this person is a hypocrite, now I don't have to face the fact that I have a character flaw. I'm hoping that my veneer of self-depreciation and honesty will distract people from the fact that I am what I said and thus I don't have to change'.

Another lazy moocher calling you a lazy moocher doesn't make you any less of one.

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:
Kaelik wrote:I use some variation of "I am that, but so are you, and I don't try to hide it" to decry other people for hypocrisy
That's what I mean. It's used to provide deflection and weasel out of responsibility in some weakass tu quoque. It's like 'thank god this person is a hypocrite, now I don't have to face the fact that I have a character flaw. I'm hoping that my veneer of self-depreciation and honesty will distract people from the fact that I am what I said and thus I don't have to change'.

Another lazy moocher calling you a lazy moocher doesn't make you any less of one.
No Lago, that's the fucking point. It's not a goddam character flaw. It wouldn't matter if you were a lazy moocher or not, I'm still not ashamed of being a lazy moocher in either case, because being a lazy moocher is not something to be ashamed of.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Resident Evil 4 is a confusing mess. Rather than make an action movie, a zombie siege movie, a survival horror movie, or a video game movie - they decided to make 4 movies with wildly different feels, casts, and subject matters, and then string them end to end in an uncomfortable and non-sensical mishmash.

Even the basic presentation ranges from gritty to over-the-top without pausing or considering the ramifications of such a change. And it really doesn't help that the second act, where the main character is wandering around in a bleak landscape leaving video logs and wondering if there are any other survivors, is incredibly boring. The third act is a relatively standard zombie siege affair interspersed with increasingly over-the-top action scenes, but the amusement that brings never fully washes the taste of ennui and boredom brought about by having grainy video logs about how days are passing with nothing happening.

-Username17
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

then there's the fact that the first act is, at least to be, incredibly shitty, and far too "video game-y", and the protagonists, almost without fail, are fucking idiots in the third act .
"Oh hey, the thing that's been shot in the head five times just dropped. I guess we're safe. Good thing we shot it there a sixth time!"
Fucking hell, would it kill them to have at least one genre savvy character?

Meikle641
Duke

Post by Meikle641 »

Oh... You meant the fourth MOVIE. Right. Are any of them past #2 worth watching?
Official Discord: https://discord.gg/ZUc77F7
Twitter: @HrtBrkrPress
FB Page: htttp://facebook.com/HrtBrkrPress
My store page: https://heartbreaker-press.myshopify.co ... ctions/all
Book store: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/ ... aker-Press
TOZ
Duke

Post by TOZ »

3 had a bunch of character assassination and wasn't really worth anything. Not even for the Tyrant.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Movies:

Resident Evil 1: Good clean zombie fun.
Resident Evil 2: Too much Ninja, not enough Zombie.
Resident Evil 3: Good Zombies vs. Road Warrior adventure movie.
Resident Evil 4: Latter half is incredibly funny, but does not make up for boring and meandering lead up.

-Username17
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

the final scene of AL (not during credits) was pretty cool too.

Had they done the opening better, made the videolog act less broing, and not made the big bad seem like an Agent Smith rip off*, probably would have been a much better movie.

*I haven't played any of the games, save for maybe five minutes of demo for #4, so I never know how true to source they are.

edit: Just started watching the first episode of Beast Legends, and they're pronouncing Kraken wrong. I hate to be a fucking douche over this but... fucking stop it! It's pronounced like "Crack" not "Crate", goddamnit!
Last edited by Prak on Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

The final battle is almost exactly the fight from Code Veronica once he takes his glasses off and reveals his glowing red eyes. Right down to the bullet time contrails.

The zombies whose faces divide into four are Plagas Zombies from Resident Evil 5. The Pyramid Head ripoff giant with the axe-hammer is a Resident Evil 5 Executioner.

-Username17
Ganbare Gincun
Duke

Post by Ganbare Gincun »

I was under the impression that people mainly watched Resident Evil movies so they could stare at Milla Jovovich for two hours. :lol:

Here's The Escapist's review of Resident Evil 4, if anyone's interested.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Kaelik wrote:I'm still not ashamed of being a lazy moocher in either case, because being a lazy moocher is not something to be ashamed of.
Thank you, Kaelik, for confirming why people who use the 'at least I admit it' excuse are even bigger douchebags than the hypocrite who condemned them.

TOZ
Duke

Post by TOZ »

Kaelik wrote: because being a lazy moocher is not something to be ashamed of.
Tha fuck, Kaelik?
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

I do not understand people who put alcoholic drinks in their coffee.

I ruined a good cup of coffee and a good swig of gin then whiskey then tequila by doing so. It was seriously like someone mixed pine sap into my coffee. Worst alcoholic drink and worst coffee ever. It was like mixing tuna filet and strawberry jelly in terms of bad ideas.

That's really weird, because I have had a lot of success mixing other strange liquids into my alcohols. Grapefruit juice, tabasco sauce, gin, and green olives makes a really great combination.

Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Did you put all three in the same coffee? Because the pine sap taste of Gin would in fact cover up everything else.

A touch of Bailey's in a cup of coffee is really good, but Tequila should be drank straight, and gin tends to overpower the taste of anything it's in. (Gin should be drank with fruit juice, or drank straight).
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.