Moments in your gaming career that should have told you....

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

Crit fumbles, and anyone who ever uses them is a fucking retard. Next topic now.
Draco_Argentum wrote:
Mister_Sinister wrote:Clearly, your cock is part of the big barrel the server's busy sucking on.
Can someone tell it to stop using its teeth please?
Juton wrote:Damn, I thought [Pathfailure] accidentally created a feat worth taking, my mistake.
Koumei wrote:Shad, please just punch yourself in the face until you are too dizzy to type. I would greatly appreciate that.
Kaelik wrote:No, bad liar. Stop lying.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type I - doing exactly the opposite of what they said they would do.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type II - change for the sake of change.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type III - the illusion of change.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Okay, next point for discussion is that people who tend to wear black (and could possibly be called "goths" back in the day, before emo took over) tend to make shitty DMs.

Discuss.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Princess
Journeyman

Post by Princess »

Roy wrote:Crit fumbles, and anyone who ever uses them is a fucking retard. Next topic now.
You mean anyone who play GURPS, WoD and such are fucking retards? Especially DH/RT players?
Koumei wrote:Okay, next point for discussion is that people who tend to wear black (and could possibly be called "goths" back in the day, before emo took over) tend to make shitty DMs.
Lol, that's true in my experience.
Last edited by Princess on Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
erik
King

Post by erik »

The crit and fumble tables in MERPS were fairly hilarious. Most were just minor penalties or boosts for doing poorly or well. And the upper tier of success and lower tiers of failure were pretty splendid.
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

Princess wrote:
Roy wrote:Crit fumbles, and anyone who ever uses them is a fucking retard. Next topic now.
You mean anyone who play GURPS, WoD and such are fucking retards? Especially DH/RT players?
Koumei wrote:Okay, next point for discussion is that people who tend to wear black (and could possibly be called "goths" back in the day, before emo took over) tend to make shitty DMs.
Lol, that's true in my experience.
Well WoD is a game that plays out raping dogs as a good thing, so yes I'd say they are highly retarded. GURPS is a game with more schizophrenia than D&D, and that's saying something.
Draco_Argentum wrote:
Mister_Sinister wrote:Clearly, your cock is part of the big barrel the server's busy sucking on.
Can someone tell it to stop using its teeth please?
Juton wrote:Damn, I thought [Pathfailure] accidentally created a feat worth taking, my mistake.
Koumei wrote:Shad, please just punch yourself in the face until you are too dizzy to type. I would greatly appreciate that.
Kaelik wrote:No, bad liar. Stop lying.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type I - doing exactly the opposite of what they said they would do.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type II - change for the sake of change.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type III - the illusion of change.
Princess
Journeyman

Post by Princess »

And how about Dark Heresy and Rogue Trader?
Wyzzard
Apprentice

Post by Wyzzard »

Princess wrote:And how about Dark Heresy and Rogue Trader?
http://tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=51501
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Yeah. Not only could I make a better RPG set in the Skubhammerverse, I have done precisely that.

Worship may be directed at me at your leisure.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Discuss.
Haha, yeah, I was a shitty DM.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Neurosis
Duke

Post by Neurosis »

Discuss.
Welp now this topic is just flat-out about discrimination (if it ever wasn't). Wearing black does not make you "goth" or "emo" any more than it makes you Johnny Cash. And the idea that it makes you a bad GM is even more specious.
Last edited by Neurosis on Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
For a minute, I used to be "a guy" in the TTRPG "industry". Now I'm just a nobody. For the most part, it's a relief.
Trank Frollman wrote:One of the reasons we can say insightful things about stuff is that we don't have to pretend to be nice to people. By embracing active aggression, we eliminate much of the passive aggression that so paralyzes things on other gaming forums.
hogarth wrote:As the good book saith, let he who is without boners cast the first stone.
TiaC wrote:I'm not quite sure why this is an argument. (Except that Kaelik is in it, that's a good reason.)
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Wah!? Next, you're going to say sticking feathers up your butt doesn't make you a chicken!

No, I think we're supposed to take what Koumei said 100% seriously. :nonono:
Neurosis
Duke

Post by Neurosis »

I don't know Koumei well enough to make the call on that.
For a minute, I used to be "a guy" in the TTRPG "industry". Now I'm just a nobody. For the most part, it's a relief.
Trank Frollman wrote:One of the reasons we can say insightful things about stuff is that we don't have to pretend to be nice to people. By embracing active aggression, we eliminate much of the passive aggression that so paralyzes things on other gaming forums.
hogarth wrote:As the good book saith, let he who is without boners cast the first stone.
TiaC wrote:I'm not quite sure why this is an argument. (Except that Kaelik is in it, that's a good reason.)
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

Schwarzkopf wrote:Welp now this topic is just flat-out about discrimination (if it ever wasn't). Wearing black does not make you "goth" or "emo" any more than it makes you Johnny Cash. And the idea that it makes you a bad GM is even more specious.
Stop fucking whining.

"Baww discrimination." Fuck off.
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Chamomile wrote:Ant, what do we do about Psychic Robot?
You do not seem to do anything.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

Schwarzkopf wrote:I don't know Koumei well enough to make the call on that.
Then you definitely need to lurk moar Schwarz.

If your DM introduces catgirls in anything other than a cracked out knockaround game, run. Run, and never stop running.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
Neurosis
Duke

Post by Neurosis »

Psychic Robot wrote:
Schwarzkopf wrote:Welp now this topic is just flat-out about discrimination (if it ever wasn't). Wearing black does not make you "goth" or "emo" any more than it makes you Johnny Cash. And the idea that it makes you a bad GM is even more specious.
Stop fucking whining.

Charming.
Datawolf
Journeyman

Post by Datawolf »

Playing Rifts taught me that tabletop RPGs are not to be taken even the slightest bit seriously.

Also, TSR, WotC, Palladium Books and whoever the cockhound that is responsible for FATAL is taught me that the RPG industry is filled with idiotic, egocentric hacks.
Psychic Robot wrote:
Pathfinder is still a bad game
but is it a bad enough game to rescue the President?
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Datawolf wrote:Also, TSR, WotC, Palladium Books and whoever the cockhound that is responsible for FATAL is taught me that the RPG industry is filled with idiotic, egocentric hacks.
That plus a few intelligent egocentric hacks and you've got the entire industry.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

malak
Master

Post by malak »

That's a given since they make bad human beings.
UmaroVI
Journeyman

Post by UmaroVI »

Datawolf wrote: whoever the cockhound that is responsible for FATAL
That would be Byron "buttfucking ogres" Hall. Far too much of FATAL burned itself into my brain when I rolled up a character as a joke. It took 10 hours. It wasn't funny.
TheFlatline
Prince

Post by TheFlatline »

Princess wrote:And how about Dark Heresy and Rogue Trader?
Fucking horrible system.

And this is coming from a current long-term successful DH game master.

Six months of game time and I can't fucking drill into the players' heads that they have to give me either what they rolled to hit or what the locational score is.

Six. Fucking. Months. Every successful attack
"what did you roll to hit?"
"Oh I don't remember, in the 50's."
"Great. I need a number so I can tell you where you hit."
"Oh... I forgot."
"HOW CAN YOU FORGET YOU HIT LAST TURN TWO MINUTES AGO AND WE HAD THIS DISCUSSION THEN!!!"

I've houseruled that if you don't read me your fucking to-hit number or the hit location number, you miss. It's just barely starting to make a dent in the players' memory. I used to default it to the heaviest armored part of the target but I just got complaints that combat took too long at that point. They didn't connect that I was penalizing them.

*grumbles*

Fuck Dark Heresy's mechanics. Fuck them in the ass.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

That gives me another idea. Just roll a d6 every time you attack instead of fiddling with reversing numbers.
1: Head
2: Chest
3: Left Arm
4: Right Arm
5: Right Leg
6: Left Leg
Doom
Duke

Post by Doom »

I don't think all targets are equally likely to hit.

And instead of fiddling with rolling a d6 every time, just reverse the numbers. ;)

That's how it's done in WFRP, and never had any problem. Are there like other die rolls involved in hitting besides the percentile roll?
Kaelik, to Tzor wrote: And you aren't shot in the face?
Frank Trollman wrote:A government is also immortal ...On the plus side, once the United Kingdom is no longer united, the United States of America will be the oldest country in the world. USA!
TheFlatline
Prince

Post by TheFlatline »

The rule is to reverse the die numbers.

But, my players scoop up their roll immediately after telling me if they succeed or not. They're having trouble grokking that the number still has a use once they pass the binary choice of "do you hit?"

Rolling a D8 with 2 numbers listed for the torso would work pretty well I guess. Still, it shouldn't be that hard to remember within a single combat to hold onto that roll and reverse it when I ask for it.

It's like asking how to roll a saving throw in D20 every single time you have to roll the save on levels of elementary rules.
Blasted
Knight-Baron

Post by Blasted »

Perhaps you could change the question from "Do you hit?" to "Where do you hit?"
Or something similar. Of course, the human brain is a marvelous thing and may gloss over the difference anyway.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Schwarzkopf wrote:
Psychic Robot wrote:
Stop fucking whining.

Charming.
Lurk more, Schwarzkopf. Because you really should have realized that, if no other time, than now, discretion is the better part of value.
Malak wrote:That's a given since they make bad human beings.
Now while I may be a terrible human being, a fact that everyone I know has pointed out adequately, I'm the best dm amongst my high school friends.

...mostly because I actually have some idea of what I'm doing, and can find my way around the DM's guide without resorting to using both hands, a kindly stranger and a head lamp.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.