Minor creation

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

shau
Knight-Baron

Re: Minor creation

Post by shau »

Someguy wrote:There's still a problem with this acid flask creation technique.

Okay ... you use Minor Creation to create acid in say, a pre-existing glass container or a natural rock depression (that won't leak).

Now ... what are the rules for the UMD-using Halfling Rogue to use to actually get or make glass flasks - and then scoop the freakin' acid into them?

That's potentially fraught with mishaps and perhaps even accidental damage to the Halfling

I would say this would not be a problem, I mean, I scoop thing into other things all the time and I am not nearly a dexterous as that halfling. However, the rules of the game clearly state that you have a 1 in 20 chance of poisoning yourself when dipping your arrows in poison, so who knows?
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Digestor at [unixtime wrote:1174581512[/unixtime]]^ "bio-diesel" ? Not tar, but... you know, flammable.

Also, if you let dead 'vegetable matter' sit long enough it starts to sort of ferment and become kind of caustic...

...damn garbage pile up for 4+ years was eating away at the concrete underneath the trash-compactor at my job, literally took away about a centimeter of the concrete, exposing the rough rocks underneath the smooth surface.

Is that where your screen name came from?
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Digestor
Journeyman

Post by Digestor »

Haha, it's inspired by Ghoul, one of the members' name is Digestor (incidentally there's also a guy called Fermentor...)

It starts pretty vicious but quickly turns drunken... Dissector, Cremator, Digestor and Fermentor.

http://www.creepsylvania.com/index2.html

History:
The son of a mad Trappist monk and a syphilitic gypsy, Digestor was born in an abandoned castle outside of Bergen. His childhood was spent in a carnival freak show as the Amazing Melting Boy, as the syphilis had eaten away most of the soft tissue in his face.
Catharz
Knight-Baron

Post by Catharz »

Digestor at [unixtime wrote:1174591514[/unixtime]]Haha, it's inspired by Ghoul, one of the members' name is Digestor (incidentally there's also a guy called Fermentor...)

It starts pretty vicious but quickly turns drunken... Dissector, Cremator, Digestor and Fermentor.

That's funny, the veteranary diagnostics lab at my school has something called a "digester." It's a big (holds ~2 tons) metal vat which you put corpses in. When it's full you close the lid and it injects some kind of base into the mixture and cooks it under pressure. When it's done, it empties out the bottom into the sewer.

The smell is pretty amazing.

This image isn't of our digester, but it's the same basic thing.
Digestor
Journeyman

Post by Digestor »

So is that what you cats do to cats that are being put down?

Daaayamnnnn vicious yo... no ill will to you but I don't think I'd be able to do that. I'm all neutral good and stuff, hugs not acidic cauldrons of doom.
Brobdingnagian
Knight

Post by Brobdingnagian »

The dead feel no pain.

Unless you have a ghost touch weapon. Whatever.
Digestor
Journeyman

Post by Digestor »

Oh and I do, but I'm talking down town.

Regardless - I do think minor creation can create acid from dead vegetable matter, though it's a bit of a stretch... but once you throw in d&d physics and the psychotically freakish amounts of plants present there-in, and the obvious ability to constantly add new ones that can do anything and anything, then bam - acid.

Fire's a given...
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

Or, you know, you could simply house rule something that game breaking...

"Your acid is weak. It will cause devastation among minor plant and animal life for about a week due to contaminating the pH levels of the soil, but it kills you no orcses."

If your player complains, ask him, "Why should I? This isn't fun; it's cheap, it's like playing through Starcraft on Power Overwhelming and claiming you beat the game. We play this game for the challenge."

Or whatever strikes your fancy. :D
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

That's why you create whatever acid the Greenvise spits out.
CHICKENS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO DO COCAINE, SILKY HEN
Josh_Kablack wrote:You are not a unique and precious snowflake, you are just one more fucking asshole on the internet who presumes themselves to be better than the unwashed masses.
dbb
Knight

Post by dbb »

Guest (Unregistered) at [unixtime wrote:1174790370[/unixtime]]
If your player complains, ask him, "Why should I? This isn't fun; it's cheap, it's like playing through Starcraft on Power Overwhelming and claiming you beat the game. We play this game for the challenge."

When you do this to a player, what you are telling him is:

"Don't bother trying to do anything clever; if what you want to do doesn't mesh with my vision of the game, I will nerf it whether it's legal by the book or not."

Think hard about whether that's a message you want to send. Think especially hard about it when you're about to send that message over something as non-game breaking as just having a Heward's Handy Haversack full of Alchemist's Fire.

--d.
RandomCasualty
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty »

dbb at [unixtime wrote:1174809488[/unixtime]]
Think hard about whether that's a message you want to send. Think especially hard about it when you're about to send that message over something as non-game breaking as just having a Heward's Handy Haversack full of Alchemist's Fire.

Well that is potentially game breaking, depending on how you scale damage for large amounts of alchemists fire. If you use the normal weapon scaling rules, where a barrel of alchemist's fire is just normal fire sized to gargantuan or something, then it's probably not a big deal.

If you calculate the damage on a cumulative scale, where you're counting volume per flask and counting a barrel as being 200+ Flasks, then you're going to have some big balance problems if people can create infinite amounts of it.