Smartphone App opinions?

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Prak
Serious Badass

Smartphone App opinions?

Post by Prak »

I'm looking at getting a smartphone, mostly because it's time to get a new phone, and there are apps I want.

So I figured I'd turn to you weirdos for any info or reviews or what-have-you on what I'm looking at:
  • Epic Win
  • Doodle God/Devil (App version, specifically, I've played the flash game and found it fairly awesome)
  • Mixology (was recommended to me earlier, figure I can check it out)
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

I think you are making the first mistake by getting an iphone!

Androids are the way to go. iphones have a growing list of apps and the fan-community for them is larger than the iphone community. This means a better set of 3rd party apps.

My wife has the incredible and both of us love it. Compared to the iphone, it runs much better.
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
Blasted
Knight-Baron

Post by Blasted »

I've made too many app purchases now and feel somewhat trapped in the iphone ecology.
If I buy an android, I leave my nice apps behind :(
If I had my druthers, I'd have bought an android based phone first, then I can swap phone manufacturers and operating systems at home without issue. win 7 is just out, because then not only do I lose my apps, but I'm stuck on windows.

Anyway... I wasn't a great fan of doodle god, it only lasted a week. YMMV. I don't know about the other two.
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

Cynic wrote:My wife has the incredible and both of us love it. Compared to the iphone, it runs much better.
Just want to chime in, I wish I had sprung for the Incredible instead of my Droid X. The X is insanely buggy, in places where it really shouldn't be (such as wifi).
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Cynic wrote:I think you are making the first mistake by getting an iphone!

Androids are the way to go. iphones have a growing list of apps and the fan-community for them is larger than the iphone community. This means a better set of 3rd party apps.

My wife has the incredible and both of us love it. Compared to the iphone, it runs much better.
The problem is that the apps I want (Epic Win and Doodle God) are currently iOS only. They say they'll have versions for other OS's "soon" but... yeah. And really those apps are why I want a smart phone. The reason I'm getting a new phone is because it's time, the reason I'm going smart is those apps.

If anyone knows how to get iphone apps on an android, I'm all ears, but...
Last edited by Prak on Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
The Vigilante
Master

Post by The Vigilante »

Why are you asking for opinions if you don't want them ? Go buy an iPhone if that's what you want.
Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no one - for I am the meanest motherfucker in the valley.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

The Vigilante wrote:Why are you asking for opinions if you don't want them ? Go buy an iPhone if that's what you want.
He is asking about Apps, not Phones...
The Vigilante
Master

Post by The Vigilante »

Korwin wrote:
The Vigilante wrote:Why are you asking for opinions if you don't want them ? Go buy an iPhone if that's what you want.
He is asking about Apps, not Phones...
Prak_Anima wrote:I'm looking at getting a smartphone, mostly because it's time to get a new phone, and there are apps I want.

So I figured I'd turn to you weirdos for any info or reviews or what-have-you on what I'm looking at:
  • Epic Win
  • Doodle God/Devil (App version, specifically, I've played the flash game and found it fairly awesome)
  • Mixology (was recommended to me earlier, figure I can check it out)
Prak_Anima wrote:
Cynic wrote:I think you are making the first mistake by getting an iphone!

The problem is that the apps I want (Epic Win and Doodle God) are currently iOS only. They say they'll have versions for other OS's "soon" but... yeah. And really those apps are why I want a smart phone. The reason I'm getting a new phone is because it's time, the reason I'm going smart is those apps.

If anyone knows how to get iphone apps on an android, I'm all ears, but...
Maybe it's just me, but first he's asking for opinions on apps, but then he tells us he's not interested in other smartphone options because he already knows he's getting an iPhone to use to exclusive apps. If you're basing your phone choice on apps, why would you need to learn about said apps in the first place ? And if you're not sure about them, wouldn't you be open to learn about better alternatives instead ?

Usually I don't ask questions when I'm not interested in answers.[/i]
Last edited by The Vigilante on Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no one - for I am the meanest motherfucker in the valley.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I'm asking peoples' opinion on the apps, because they're what is dictating that I get an iphone. "Don't get an iphone, they suck" is irrelevant. "Those apps aren't that great" isn't, and if I become convinced they're dumb, then I won't be going with an iphone. My aim is to make sure that the apps that say "buy an iphone" are worth it. Get it?

The Vigilante
Master

Post by The Vigilante »

I get that you don't like money or want any actual advice. Why would you even base your choice of a $200+ device on a couple of $5 apps that probably will be available on the superior android platform in a couple of months, which you are not even sure are worth it, is beyond me. It's like refusing to buy a house because you don't like the colour - you can change the colour. The house, you're stuck with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL7yD-0pqZg

This is what you sound like.
Last edited by The Vigilante on Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Because it doesn't have to be $200

And again, you're missing the fact that I don't give a shit about phone model, and if I didn't give a shit about these apps, then I wouldn't give a shit about a smartphone at all.

And yes, I'm unsure of the apps, hence why I'm asking for opinions about them, before spending money on an iphone. What part of this do you not get, Vigilante?
Last edited by Prak on Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Vigilante
Master

Post by The Vigilante »

You'll still be stuck with an inferior phone for 2+ years at that price, after which you'll be reluctant to switch because you'll have a bunch of apps you won't want to lose. Just because you have some money burning your fingers at the moment, and you're not willing to wait a few months for two dumb apps to be release on the android platform.

I'm just trying to help you realize that you're making an irrational choice, but I guess I'm the idiot here since well, look who I'm trying to explain this to.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Vigilantee. Who fucking cares. It's a goddam phone. So he has an inferior phone for two years. I've had an inferior phone my whole goddam life. I have zero fucking apps, and no way to get apps, and that's because I have a goddam phone.

It's not a computer. If he has a phone that only does phone things and some other stuff not that well, it's still not in any way important.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
The Vigilante
Master

Post by The Vigilante »

My job requires me to respond to people's questions when they are not really interested in answers. This pisses me off a lot and I reserve the right to call out people who do it when I'm not getting paid to shut the fuck up.

I do agree that I care too much though and should let people waste their money if that's what they want to do.
Last edited by The Vigilante on Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

The Vigilante wrote:My job requires me to respond to people's questions when they are not really interested in answers. This pisses me off a lot and I reserve the right to call out people who do it when I'm not getting paid to shut the fuck up.

I do agree that I care too much though and should let people waste their money if that's what they want to do.
But you're not on the clock, are you? so why bother answering at all?

on the other hand, I did finally realize that even at $30 the phone is the bigger purchase. So I'm looking at other phones at the moment.

But Kaelik's point holds true too, so I have an inferior phone, so fucking what? I've had inferior phones all my life. An LG whatever piece of shit for my first, a juke for my second and current, and I'm looking at an iphone, so what?