It's Personal...

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

The Vigilante
Master

Post by The Vigilante »

Count Arioch the 28th wrote:I feel that your rant against me was unwarranted, Vigilante. You do not have access to my entire life story and therefore you cannot judge my opinions.

And every landlord I have ever had was ripped me off to varying degrees. Everyone I know has had landlords rip them off every time they rented. This is a pattern. Everyone I know that didn't know housing law to the letter and had documented copies of everything official got screwed royally with no recourse. Because every landlord that I or anyone in my close circle of friends/family has turned out to be a dirtbag and will try to steal if they think you're either too stupid or too broken down to fight it.

You can say I've had a long streak of bad luck or whatever, but telling me I'm being "stupid" because I "have a beef with the haves" is condescending and insulting to a very high degree. I am only going by my life experiences. If you are fortunate to never have a bad landlord, kudos to you. I'm not a good judge of character.
You are being unreasonably touchy, dude. First of all I stand by my initial point, I really couldn't care less about your personal experiences because they are not fact, they are personal experiences. However, the statement that "a landlord is someone who expects to get money without working for it" is
a) stupid
b) demonstrably false

Also, it is evident to all but the blindest of observers that, for whatever reason, you have issues with people who are well-off, be they bosses, business owners or landlords. It might be that every single person you have met in those positions was a complete dick and abused his powers, but that doesn't automatically apply to every person in the same position in the whole fucking world. I don't believe calling out your obvious bias against all those people is being condescendent to you, and if you feel it is, I honestly don't really care. Too bad ; I call'em like I see'em.
Zinegata wrote::bored:

Yes, yes. Call someone who has, in fact, been screwed over by his landlords many times over (and thrown out into the street) an idiot for saying "It's best to assume the worst out of your landlord rather than the best".

*sarcrasm* People here are real classy.

:bored:
Who fucking said that ? Learn to read. Nobody called him out on "assuming the worst". Take your 100th "Kaelik is a big baddie" rant and shut up.
Maj wrote:
Juton wrote:Do you realize how stupid that statement is ? Do you think the landlord shat his way into having enough money to buy his rental property ?
Actually, the landlord here does not own the property. The property owner is in another state.
My bad, I thought landlord automatically meant "owner" in English and ran with it. I learned something today. You messed up your quote tag by the way, that was my line, not Juton's.

For the record, I agree 100% that you should keep records and be prepared to defend yourself because yes, your landlord might actually try to fuck you over, and honest mistakes do happen, and you have to be ready for both situations.

To give people another perspective, here in Quebec tenants have a lot of rights and it is very difficult to evict people. My uncle used to have an appartment building and got stuck with deadbeats who would accumulate months of unpaid rent before bailing out of the place without paying. Does that mean every tenant is out to screw their landlord ? My landlord is a very reasonable person, my girlfriend and I clean the building for him and work around the building during the summer, we deduct our "pay" out of our rent check ourselves and he never argued about the amount we took out. Just sayin'.

EDIT : I just want to specify that while I do not care about Count's opinion that I am being condescendent to him and his opinions about business owners, landlords and whatnot, I sympathyze with his problems and honestly wish him the best in his life and future endeavours. I may be mean but I am not heartless.
Last edited by The Vigilante on Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no one - for I am the meanest motherfucker in the valley.
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

I didn't say Kaelik. I said "people". That includes you, Vigilante. Because:
Do you realize how stupid that statement is
You called his statement stupid. When his point is that he's been screwed over by landlords before and encourages others to be vigilant.

But no... you seriously wanted to nitpick on Count's generalization instead.

In short, you implied he was an idiot. And now you're wondering why he's pissed at you?

You're the one making stupid statements, not Count. And your "sympathy" frankly comes a little late.
Last edited by Zinegata on Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Vigilante
Master

Post by The Vigilante »

I didn't say Kaelik. I said "people". That includes you, Vigilante. Because:
Do you realize how stupid that statement is
You called his statement stupid. When his point is that he's been screwed over by landlords before and encourages others to be vigilant.

But no... you seriously want to nitpick on Count's generalization instead. And you're wondering why he's pissed at you?

You're the one making stupid statements, not Count.
Somebody once said to me that you should shut up and let people think you're stupid instead of talking and proving it. Apparently nobody ever told you that because you keep opening your pie-hole and proving to everybody how stupid and illiterate you are. I am not even going to bother arguing with you. I used to just skim over your posts, but now I understand that the reason why so many people here call you stupid is because you are fucking stupid.
Last edited by The Vigilante on Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no one - for I am the meanest motherfucker in the valley.
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

Yes, yes, try to deflect attention away from your own dick move. Because it's easier to pretend it's somebody else's problems rather than your own.

Again:

You implied Count was stupid. Over a silly nitpick. He got mad at you for it. I called you out on it.

That's it. Get over yourself.

Learn to be a better human being, or don't. But don't be surprised when someone reacts poorly when you imply they are stupid. That just makes you look like a liar on top of being an insenstive prick.
The Vigilante
Master

Post by The Vigilante »

Yes, yes, try to deflect attention away from your own dick move. Because it's easier to pretend it's somebody else's problems rather than your own.

Again:

You implied Count was stupid. Over a silly nitpick. He got mad at you for it. I called you out on it.

That's it. Get over yourself.

Learn to be a better human being, or don't. But don't be surprised when someone reacts poorly when you imply they are stupid. That just makes you look like a liar on top of being an insenstive prick.
If I wanted to call Count stupid, I would have said : "Count, you are fucking stupid for saying this". I didn't because - get this sometimes people who aren't stupid say stupid things !

You, on the other hand, are a stupid motherfucker. See what I did there ? I didn't "imply" you were a stupid motherfucker, I said it outright. Does Mr Shit-for-Brains understand the difference ?
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

Again, here is your opening statement:
Do you realize how stupid that statement is ?
Enough with the lies.

------

You could have done a lot of things differently.

You could have adopted a different tone. You could have gone "Hey Count, I know you've had bad experiences, but not all landlords are like that".

You could have simply shut up.

But no, you seriously had to make your opening statement "Do you realize how stupid that statement is?". Even though you know full well that Count has been screwed over by landlords many times and this is a touchy subject for him.

Again, you implied he was stupid. Over a stupid nitpick. That was your mistake.

Stop pretending you didn't know he'd react angrily to it. You're certainly raging at me for having the gall to tell you that you are wrong.

I'm done lecturing. Rage elsewhere, for your rage is pointless and should be directed at yourself for being such an idiot.
Last edited by Zinegata on Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Calibron
Knight-Baron

Post by Calibron »

Thread Closure in 3, 2, 1...
mean_liar
Duke

Post by mean_liar »

Maj, how are things working out on your end?
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

The Vigilante wrote:My bad, I thought landlord automatically meant "owner" in English and ran with it. I learned something today. You messed up your quote tag by the way, that was my line, not Juton's.
I am laying the blame directly at the feet of not sleeping. Holy crap, the sleep dep is amazing. Sorry.
mean liar wrote:Maj, how are things working out on your end?
Wow, there was a lot to wade through to get here...

We have not been evicted. We finished paying the rent for November. The big hurdle is paying the rent for December by the 10th or else we'll have to go through this entire process all over again. That's not looking so good - current projections estimate we'll be a couple hundred shy.

Personally, I've been such a wreck that until last night I hadn't slept very much. And that's really, really bad. So I'm working on catching up and feeling a lot better.

Errata: We actually have until the 13th because of a technicality: the 10th is a Friday. So if I can get a check to the office before they open on Monday morning, we'll be fine. That means that it might actually be possible, though it will be a very tight squeeze.
Last edited by Maj on Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Good luck!
The Vigilante
Master

Post by The Vigilante »

Zinegata wrote:I'm done lecturing.
At last. Please stop forever.
Maj wrote:Errata: We actually have until the 13th because of a technicality: the 10th is a Friday. So if I can get a check to the office before they open on Monday morning, we'll be fine. That means that it might actually be possible, though it will be a very tight squeeze.
Wouldn't you also have 2-3 days extra for the check to clear at the bank ?
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

The Vigilante wrote:Wouldn't you also have 2-3 days extra for the check to clear at the bank ?
I never do this. Ever.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Maj wrote:
The Vigilante wrote:Wouldn't you also have 2-3 days extra for the check to clear at the bank ?
I never do this. Ever.
Good call. These days it's conceivable that larger companies that own property could have the abilities to submit the check electronically. I have had bad luck with trying to "float" checks before. (Which is a personal experience, and somehow "stupid" :p. However, I still would concur with you to not float checks.)
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

For me it's a stress thing.

Obligations - be it a chore, a bill, a request, whatever - sit in my head and poke at me until they are completed. The more significant the penalty for failure, the more I'm needled. And I can't get rid of that feeling until the obligation is completely done.

Floating a check compounds my problems. Instead of just worrying about having/not having the money, I have the additional worry about what happens if that check bounces.

Since I already don't stress well, and it causes me to lose sleep and become physically ill, I try to make a point of avoiding behaviors that compound my worries - like check floating.

The lack of overdraft fees is a nice bonus.

;)
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

$300 shy. Thanks to a power outage and separate cable outage, Ess wasn't able to complete his scheduled projects on time.

Fuck you, Nature.

:tongue:
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I emailed a teacher the other day asking if I could email him my final project, hoping I could sleep in a bit more today, he said it was fine, and also told me to make sure I got him my other work that he hadn't received yet, giving me a chance to pass despite how much I slacked.

I just found, going over the missing work values and such, and trying to get a start, that even with him willing to give me that chance, I literally have pretty much no hope of using it, I fucked myself out of the opportunity because too much built up, and I didn't catch enough lectures, or I don't remember enough of the ones I did.

fuck.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
violence in the media
Duke

Post by violence in the media »

Maj wrote:$300 shy. Thanks to a power outage and separate cable outage, Ess wasn't able to complete his scheduled projects on time.

Fuck you, Nature.

So then what's the status on your situation now? :confused:
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

//
Last edited by ubernoob on Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

violence in the media wrote:
Maj wrote:$300 shy. Thanks to a power outage and separate cable outage, Ess wasn't able to complete his scheduled projects on time.

Fuck you, Nature.

Honestly, I don't know. We don't have an eviction notice. We have a payment arrangement, but that didn't mean anything last month so... We're warm and OK for now. How's that?

:)
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

ubernoob wrote: This stemmed from a discussion about these:
[/img]
What the hell man. What the hell.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

//
Last edited by ubernoob on Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Severian
Apprentice

Post by Severian »

Landlords don't just sit around on their assess as the money piles up, they're responsible for maintaining the house and keeping it in a safe and livable condition. And it's not like tenants haven't fucked landlords over before.

Good to hear that things have at least temporarily worked out for you maj
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

ubernoob wrote:
sigma999 wrote:
ubernoob wrote: This stemmed from a discussion about these:
[/img]
What the hell man. What the hell.
But aren't they pretty?
yeah. What's wrong with having a cock and wearing nail polish?
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
violence in the media
Duke

Post by violence in the media »

Maj wrote:
violence in the media wrote:

Fuck you, Nature.

Honestly, I don't know. We don't have an eviction notice. We have a payment arrangement, but that didn't mean anything last month so... We're warm and OK for now. How's that?

:)
Well, that's better than the alternative. Hopefully things will take a more positive turn for you guys in the near future.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Prak_Anima wrote:yeah. What's wrong with having a cock and wearing nail polish?
The wearing nail polish part. It's ugly, and no one should do it.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.