[ADnD 2e] What's up with the Second Edition xp charts?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Eikre
Knight-Baron

Post by Eikre »

FrankTrollman wrote:the 2nd edition system where they tried to get you to accept a Fighter 3 / Thief 3 as a 4th level character is bullshit.
Do you take offense to this because of procedural problems with using the system itself, or because you have a problem with characters whose schticks are getting level-appropriate abilities just slightly less quickly than everyone else in return for more overall proficiencies?

I don't find so much of an issue with the first of those because I take it as a base assumption that if you're going to include a play mechanic at all, it should be something that I as a player can interact with, not the DM's arbitrary bullshit-meter where he communicates via innuendo and ant pheromones that by his divine decree, everyone can have level 5 next session.

EXP, if it exists in a decimalized form at all, is a resource you're handing to the players, something you mentioned in your codex of clockwork. And while we can probably come up with many grievances about the bullshit in the 3E Wizard's own little personal microcosm of economic allegory, the part where he make scrolls and sacrifices his EXP to subtract from some measure of his future power to come up with something a little bit more immediate is interesting, and the fact that he has a choice about it is basically the only reason EXP exists at all.

So maybe it's the other thing you don't like. I'd love to hear you expound on it, but the way I see it is that you can either build a system in which the player can take his power-by-level capital and go shopping and maybe decide to widen his focus, in which case you use the more virtuous aspects of the 2E multiclass/EXP system or 3E wealth-by-level system and put the costs for everything on an exponential function so that nobody can move outside the boundaries that are assumed for their peers, or you build a system in which people cannot do this, in which case EXP is always "You are now one-eighth closer to your next level" and never, ever "that ogre was 487.15 exp so if we divide that by five then that's 97.43 exp for each of you."

(As an aside, I know that a lot of people seem to really, really hate playing some sort of logistics mini-game in which they deal with 10,000 of anything. I happen to have a soft spot for that, though, so I philosophically treat this as though it's viable, in at least a niche sense. I'm saying that if the player doesn't have options worth 500, 2,500, 3,333, and 5,000 of whatever it is that you gave them, it's worth precisely jack shit.)

sigma999 wrote:We should really have one save type and add the various stats to that when needed and I'm not even going to care, internet dickpunch, etc.
Well if you're not going to approach it from the standpoint of arbitrary thematic distinction then you clearly want to approach it from the standpoint of arbitrary mechanical distinction. So what is it that you even want saves to do? 3E, in general, thinks that there are two levels of defense in which you first try to be totally unaffected by something (with AC or spell resistance, or a skill check if you're dealing with the bullshit side-systems that pertain to covert combat) and then you try to resist its various effects (with FORT/WILL/REF). 4E thinks that there's just one level of defense and that you just roll against one of it's five subcategories (AC/FORT/WILL/REF/Perception).

I imagine that when faced with this revelation most people would think it's more succinct to just have one tier of defense, and, I mean, if you think four is a good number of distinct defenses then thematically they won't be arranged too differently from 4E's.

If you want one for each main stat, you're saying you want a one-tier system with six DEFs. But maybe you don't.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

No one in the entire history of D&D has ever described their character as a "twenty eight thousand, five hundred XP character", even though that is supposedly exactly how the system operated. Why? Because it had fucking levels in it, and those were more "intuitive". So people described themselves as playing 5th level Fighters, or 6th level Clerics, or 5/5 Druid/Thieves. And it was very hard to design encounters because a "level" of Fighter and a "level of Cleric were of very different value to begin with, and worse still figuring out what "level" a Druid/Thief was is a competely non-trivial problem because the numbers don't add or average but rather reverse back into a log function and then add and then go back through the original log function - it's a fast operation with a slide rule (remember, someone thought this was a good idea in the 1970s), but not with any human brain.

Now, you're welcome to produce a system with no levels, where people buy abilities and bonuses off a giant catalog for XP. Shadowrun, Storyteller, and Champions all work just like that. And it works. And in those systems, people seriously do describe their characters in terms of how many XP they have gained and spent. And that's fine.

But if you have "levels" those levels should mean something. And what they should mean is "how powerful your character is and what kind of enemies you can fight." A level 6 player character doesn't have to be an even match for a level 6 monster, he just has to be an even match for any other level 6 character (and it needs for it to be an appropriate encounter for him to face groups of enemies off the 6th level encounters list). And figuring out if your character is 6th level needs to be easy. Like, it needs to be as easy as looking at your character sheet and seeing the number 6, or possibly a 2 and a 4 and adding them together in your head. Anything more complex than that is fucked.

-Username17
CCarter
Knight

Post by CCarter »

I'm a bad person for linking AD&D3. I wasn't endorsing it exactly; I think anyone with the power points available should feel free to dick punch Perkins.

I'd dumped 2nd ed for my own DIY fantasy system before 3e first came out, and it had amongst other things, a universal roll high mechanic, a 1-spell-level-per-class-level progression, open class/race combinations, and a single unified xp table for all characters. Level wise, it used a "Skills & Powers" descended system where all characters had a budget of 50 character points that they spend to buy build features from the list for their class (and got another 10 each level up); multiclass characters split their 50 points how they wished between multiple lists.

Barring using something like that though, I'd pick 2nd ed multiclassing system as better than 3rd. At least at lower levels, xp doubling level to level just meant that a two-way multiclassed character is one level behind - they were workable, compared to how the 3e system is littered with attempted patchfixes to make various multiclasses playable.

Game balance wise, 2e worked since most classes schticks didn't directly overlap- you give up doing one thing well to do two things almost as well, with some limitations on combining the functions like no armour for wizards or nothing pointy for clerics. Compare that to 3rd ed, level division means that an evenly split two-way multiclass character with very different classes (e.g. fighter, wizard) is in most respects as good as two characters of half their level. i.e. worthless.

I'd expect making a 2nd ed. type xp-division system balanced is going to be easier than patching a 3rd ed. type level-division system, because its comparatively easy to forbid synergies between the class features of different classes (e.g. "no sneak attack on spells"), so that sort of system can work. In the other (3e) case, its much harder to build a system where all a character's class levels will somehow synergize, regardless of what that class actually is, so that a Druid 3/Rogue 4 is actually equal to a Rogue 7 or whatever.

Cheers,
Chris Carter.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

I'd expect making a 2nd ed. type xp-division system balanced is going to be easier than patching a 3rd ed. type level-division system, because its comparatively easy to forbid synergies between the class features of different classes (e.g. "no sneak attack on spells"), so that sort of system can work. In the other (3e) case, its much harder to build a system where all a character's class levels will somehow synergize, regardless of what that class actually is, so that a Druid 3/Rogue 4 is actually equal to a Rogue 7 or whatever.
Uh... no. The 2e system wasn't balanced at all. And indeed, Fighter and Thief synergized a lot. It wasn't even supposed to be balanced.

Making a 3e system of multiclassing is actually fairly easy if you build it up with that idea in mind from the beginning. You just put everyone on the same power accumulation schedule type. That is, either everyone is getting bonuses that add up to level appropriate totals or everyone is getting new actions that scale to level or some combination. You just never write any powers like 3e Fireball, where it's a standalone action that scales in value to your class level. Rogue and Barbarian multiclass fine in 3e. And Incarnum classes could have multiclassed fine if they weren't designed by incompetent Hamlet typing monkeys.

As long as you're ground-upping the system, there is no reason that being a Wizard/Warblade can't mean that you have half as many Wizard spells and half as many Warblade Maneuvers, and both piles are scaled to your overall character level. It happens to not be that way in 3e D&D, but making it be that way is no harder than writing a whole new set of powers for a whole new game that does anything else you care to name.

-Username17
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

But I think again, you're partly missing the main point of me doing anything at all here Frank: I want a system I can run for my players that lets me pick up an old 1e/2e module and pretty much play it out of the book. Now I'm a lot more system savvy than they are, so I can do a lot of changes in my head, and when I see "Thac0 15" I can just convert that easy for myself. But when I see "Saves 14/16/15/14/17" I can't just convert that to Fort/Ref/Will in my head easily.

So while I fully understand what you're saying about how level should mean something, and I agree with it even, in this case making the changes that you ask for violates the goal of the product. Maybe it's a stupid goal, but that IS the goal. So things like putting everyone on the same EXP chart and maybe fiddling a bit with internal class numbers (such as giving Rogues 3/4th BAB instead of 1/2), and even fiddling with the numbers on the stats charts to make them progress more smoothly, that's all okay. However, a change that says "You can't even attempt to use all those volumes of spells and magic items that you have sitting in your back pocket because the system is too different" is exactly not-okay.

Just once we're gonna ignore game balance for the sake of compatibility. The next production can be "Fantasy Game Ultimate Edition" and we can put in every grand idea The Den has ever had about game design, just not today.
[*]The Ends Of The Matrix: Github and Rendered
[*]After Sundown: Github and Rendered
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

Humans get +10% EXP as their racial power.
Why do you hate Jesus? He died for your sins.
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Chamomile wrote:Ant, what do we do about Psychic Robot?
You do not seem to do anything.
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

Psychic Robot wrote:
Humans get +10% EXP as their racial power.
Why do you hate Jesus? He died for your sins.
What do you suggest instead?
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

No XP bonuses or penalties. That shit is whack.
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Chamomile wrote:Ant, what do we do about Psychic Robot?
You do not seem to do anything.
Emerald
Knight-Baron

Post by Emerald »

FrankTrollman wrote:Skill Points were a worse implementation than 2E AD&D Secondary Skills. Weird, but true. (4e's skill system had promise, but fucked everything up in a different way).
If you don't mind explaining, exactly how did secondary skills/nonweapon proficiencies work? My AD&D group had already houseruled a fairly 3e-ish skill system when I joined, so I never learned the
"real" AD&D version of things.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

I think the biggest thing was that almost all of them could be classified as 3E versions of Crafts of Professions. So, everyone got those for free. All of the "useful" 3E skills were primarily tied up in class features.

Also, I don't think you had to continue investing in your non-weapon proficiencies once you had them, because the concept of scaling DCs just didn't exist back then. Basically, each NWP had an ability score tied to it, with a small modifier (typically withing +/- 2). You had to roll an ability check with that modifier to succeed. So if you had something like Wis -2 and you had a Wis score of 14, you had to roll a 12 or lower on a d20 to succeed. It didn't matter what level you were.

At least I think that's how it worked. It's been almost ten years!
CCarter
Knight

Post by CCarter »

With regard to level splitting - OK, point taken.

That's pretty much how I remember Non Weapon Proficiencies working, too. You could spent an additional NWP slot to get a single +1 to your proficiency score - prohibitably expensive.

Later on in 2e, Skills & Powers attempted to replace the ability check based system with a system where characters got 'character points' each level and used them to raise (much lower) base scores. Rarely used since its difficult to use without using the whole (grossly unbalanced) S&P system, though.

The site below has alot of the old 2nd ed. stuff btw- its publicly well known and has been linked off rpgnet amongst other places so I assume legal/operating with permission. I'm not sure if I'm expiating or aggravating my sins here, but its pretty much straight 2nd ed, so people at least know what to expect.

http://www.purpleworm.org/Library/Rules/
Last edited by CCarter on Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Yeah, there were two systems, both of which worked kinda OK for what they did. The first was Secondary Skills, where you had some background like "Tailor" or "Fisherman" and then you used that as a roleplaying prompt and you tried to justify all your actions with your Anything Goes Fishing. That was incredibly freeform, but as a freeform system it actually worked OK. The second was basically like the 3e skill system except that a skill was basically either bought or not bought. You got the basic skill roll for one to three skill points depending on the non-weapon proficiency, and then you could dump more points into it for +1 a piece (which was way too expensive considering how few points you got). So practically, it was just a tag setup, where characters either had or did not have various skills that let them do various stuff.

-Username17
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

RobbyPants wrote:I think the biggest thing was that almost all of them could be classified as 3E versions of Crafts of Professions. So, everyone got those for free. All of the "useful" 3E skills were primarily tied up in class features.
I thought they were all basically Craft/Profession/Knowledge skills too, but yesterday I actually looked at the 2E NWPs you could get and they included Jumping and Mountaineering (which functioned sort of like Climb), which was better than I remembered.
Last edited by hogarth on Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

FrankTrollman wrote:Yeah, there were two systems, both of which worked kinda OK for what they did. The first was Secondary Skills, where you had some background like "Tailor" or "Fisherman" and then you used that as a roleplaying prompt and you tried to justify all your actions with your Anything Goes Fishing. That was incredibly freeform, but as a freeform system it actually worked OK. The second was basically like the 3e skill system except that a skill was basically either bought or not bought. You got the basic skill roll for one to three skill points depending on the non-weapon proficiency, and then you could dump more points into it for +1 a piece (which was way too expensive considering how few points you got). So practically, it was just a tag setup, where characters either had or did not have various skills that let them do various stuff.

-Username17
My idea was to do a thing more like mixing the second one and the 3e system. So you have all these things and you get 4 points at level 1 and each point you put into a thing is +1 with that thing. And instead of the 2e version of "then you don't really get more points ever" you just get another 4 points each time you level up. Now, the number 4 is just a number out of a hat, it could be more, but the idea was that at least your class wouldn't influence your number of points, and probably your Int wouldn't either.

Then once you've got your Engineering bonus or whatever (eg: Int + Skill rank) you roll 1d20 + that and the default DC is 21 (just like with an ability check. And bam, you're off and doing things.

Also it seems I'm currently ill with some sickness or another and so there will not be a new pdf version to peruse and insult out this week. hope for next week!
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

My idea was to do a thing more like mixing the second one and the 3e system. So you have all these things and you get 4 points at level 1 and each point you put into a thing is +1 with that thing. And instead of the 2e version of "then you don't really get more points ever" you just get another 4 points each time you level up. Now, the number 4 is just a number out of a hat, it could be more, but the idea was that at least your class wouldn't influence your number of points, and probably your Int wouldn't either.
S you decided that the real problem with 2nd edition's nonweapon proficiency system was that it didn't offer the ability to fall behind in level appropriate bonuses and have nothing to show for your existence and be permanently screwed?

-Username17
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

But the DC doesn't go up as you level up. There's not really such a thing as level appropriate either, because there isn't an expected value that you'd happen to have in any particular skill at all. Most of the skills aren't even vital to your survival, it's just a bother to have to pay people to do it for you, and most of them can be done "untrained" cause you still make a stat check for jumping even if you're not trained in jump. Level 4 training just makes you go from +10 to +14 (assuming a probable maxranks of your level). Additionally, it wouldn't even be a huge deal to hand out more skill points when you're not leveling up, as a quest reward instead of raw EXP for example, or a book that gives skill points instead of int or con or whatever.

I mean I also like the backgrounds system, I almost like it more, it's just a little funny to pick up more backgrounds later. If there was a way around that I'd probably just use it.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Lokathor wrote:But the DC doesn't go up as you level up.
Then what is the point of having a Read/Write of +24?

-Username17
Eikre
Knight-Baron

Post by Eikre »

Last edited by Eikre on Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

Simply put, because the game wasnt meant to have everyone try to be the same level at the same time, and level wasnt mean to be the defining factor of what a character was.

sure a wizard would far outclass a fighter sooner or later, but it was still an early attempt BEFORE wide-spread internet to make a balance in the game also.

the wizard got so few hit pojtns and became powerful because of the trials to get a elvel...etc...

basically it was to avoid putting D&D into some kind of cookie-cutter powers system where everyone leveled the same way etc. Basically to prevent D&D from becoming what 4th eidtion is, which could ahve been done simply and easy form the beginning, but to give each type of character...well character rather than being a pawn in a chess game.

Take Magic The Gathering for example, as well many other games. The mana cost of card in Magic are guessed at with no set formula for coming up with the, same as was for cost/etc for the D&D minis game.

You take something intuitive for what you are designing....Gygax a world of fantasy where magic is very powerful, but not the only thing that can affect the world, mix in your Conan, Robin Hood, etc...and stir to make them work together. Season to taste...tweak as you go.

So Zeb Cook kept them real close cause they still worked from 1st for most things, with a bit of clean up, because his vision of the game was not too far off in terms of level advancement.

I much prefer the characters NOT being the same level, and more along the lines of 2nd and older, than the character being an open book in current editions, where the player is jsut the one pushing dice this sesion, and any other peson could fill in for the character, because the game then was more about the player playing the game, rather than the story being told with enough seats filled for the protagonists.

So the staggered and arbitrary XPs/levels lend to the style of play and setting Zeb was trying to have for his games. I think an old Dragon article talks about it, but would have to dig out my CDs if they aren't on my harddrive to check them.
As a specific example, the Wizard, which starts off slower than the fighter, speeds up right around level 7 or so and at level 12 is an entire level ahead of the wizard before slowing down again and ending up behind the fighter at level 20.
Here is where the flaw looking at it comes into play for many...character types didnt get the same XP for things, and depending on which method you used to dish out XP, could vary greatly on who gets what.

The XP by type method that allows fighters XP for killing, thieves for stealing, etc helpd form this, as well again, everyone wasnt supposed to be the same level. Take the moduels for example "For levels 4-9" means you could have a group with level 4 characters all the way up to level 9 mixed.

needing more XP doesnt put someone behind because they are not uniform tables, just makes them advance and acquire XP at different rates and for different thigns.

Shared XP gotten by the group and split, is where that even distribution can come form, but many other things can be done by the different classes to give varying XP at varying times.
Last edited by shadzar on Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Play the game, not the rules.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
good read (Note to self Maxus sucks a barrel of cocks.)
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

FrankTrollman wrote:
Lokathor wrote:But the DC doesn't go up as you level up.
Then what is the point of having a Read/Write of +24?

-Username17
Well, okay, sometimes there'd be a bonus or penalty for super hard or easy stuff. Most of the time though there just wouldn't be a point to having +24.

Imagine it as a more E6 style of game. You hit a peak, and then you just branch out instead.
Eikre wrote:Image
...I don't understand this.
Last edited by Lokathor on Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

Lokathor wrote:So you have all these things and you get 4 points at level 1 and each point you put into a thing is +1 with that thing. And instead of the 2e version of "then you don't really get more points ever" you just get another 4 points each time you level up.
What do you mean by "you don't really get more points ever"? You get more points every 3 or 4 levels.

My two cents: 3E made a bunch of leaps forward in its skill system (e.g. adding target numbers, take 10, take 20, using skills untrained, no critical failures, eliminating most thief-only skills, simplifying Craft/Profession) and a number of steps backward (e.g. wizards have more skill points to do fighter-ly things than fighters, the arms race involved with opposed skills like Spot/Hide). I still think 3E came out a net winner.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

CCarter wrote:Later on in 2e, Skills & Powers attempted to replace the ability check based system with a system where characters got 'character points' each level and used them to raise (much lower) base scores. Rarely used since its difficult to use without using the whole (grossly unbalanced) S&P system, though.
I forgot that S&P interacted differently with the NWP system. I seem to remember getting CP on level-up, and I seem to remember spending two of them if I rolled really shitty on my Hit Die, because they'd let you get a one-per-level re-roll at a cost of 2 CP. As low as 2E HP were, I always considered that a good investment.

IIRC, S&P wasn't a problem because of how you could buy NWPs with CP. The problem was letting you free-form build your class with those CP. You could make clerics and wizards insane with those.

hogarth wrote:I thought they were all basically Craft/Profession/Knowledge skills too, but yesterday I actually looked at the 2E NWPs you could get and they included Jumping and Mountaineering (which functioned sort of like Climb), which was better than I remembered.
I remember Mountaineering, but I forgot about Jumping. I seem to remember the bulk of my warrior-type PCs taking Mountaineering because it did something. Some of the random ones for making weapons, armor, or bows and arrows could be handy depending on the situation.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Yeah, it was surprising how little of your class you had to sell down the river to get 7th level spells early. Like, first level early.

-Username17
CCarter
Knight

Post by CCarter »

Haven't actually played S&P unfortunately, just read through it and tried making a few characters at some point. Some good ideas, some bad ideas, utterly wretched balancing and implementation.

The CP allotment in S&P was 3 to 5 per level (GM fiat choice), with +1 to a skill score costing 1 point. The NWPs were pretty much just the standard 2e list - nothing too game breaking. Also, S&P characters at 1st level would have significantly lower NWP scores than a regular 2e character...particularly in campaigns with high ability scores, since they're receiving only an adjustment (up to +5 for an 18+, onto a base value to roll under of about 6 to 9 depending on which skill at 1st level), instead of rolling under their raw stat. The skills and powers Kits were also not particularly impressive, but characters more than made up for it overall in the class/race section. The 2 CPs to reroll a hit die is probably an OK deal for 2e (unless you're multiclassed); elsewhere they try to sell you a +1-hp-per-level for 10 CPs, which is probably worse. CPs could also be spent to get rerolls on checks - I liked the idea of rerolls really (something D&D could use, IMHO), but not that you suffer a permanent resource burn to get them.

The "7th level spells at first level" thing was a character option in the "Spells and Magic" book, which built on the same character point system in the first Skills & Powers book. Just in skills and powers itself, IMHO, the subability system (originally from Star Frontiers) is perhaps the lowlight of the system, essentially doubling the number of attributes for no particular reason. Most classes could dump one substat without major issues.

Other fun aspects of these included:
*You could build a character whose lift capacity was less than their carrying capacity (since one used the Stamina subability and the other used Muscle)
*Fighters could go up to a 20 Muscle, unlike other characters, for gratuitous damage bonuses (skipping the percentile strength thing). The raised limit is despite the actual process being that you first generate subabilities, then choose class.
*Two weapon fighting penalty reductions were calculated off Balance (which happened to end up with Defensive Adjustment) rather than Aim.
Last edited by CCarter on Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

I didn't think you could split your scores above your racial maximum. For example, an elf with an 18 Dex could split 19 Aim and 17 Balance, but a human with an 18 would be stuck at 18 Aim and 18 Balance.

Also, I never knew how to adjudicate splits on characters with exceptional strength. Basically, every warrior that could get a natural 16 in Str would end up with 18/xx Muscle and 14 Stamina, and be great at combat, and barely be able to carry their full plate and their weapon at full speed.