Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Calibron wrote:Are there Qi Gong cults?
Falun Gong.

-Username17
Calibron
Knight-Baron

Post by Calibron »

Huh, people really feel the need to spiritualize and moralize everything, don't they?
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Apparently Falun Gong are the cult that's currently pissing the Chinese government off more than anyone else is pissing them off at the moment. A friend is telling me how I totally have to go visit her there sometime, and how they're pretty lenient about, well, everything.

"As long as you're not joining the Falun Gong you should be fine. Basically they'll refuse access if you say you're a member of a terrorist organisation, or if your cult requires you to pester save other people, or if you have a serious mental illness that becomes the problem of those around you. Oh, and as long as you're not there to import drugs. They enjoy shooting British drug dealers. Some kind of history with them."
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

A surprising number of the older "cures" work, they just have downsides. Mercury, for example, does pretty well as a topical antiseptic (so also as a dewormer or whatnot). We don't do that anymore because it also gives you heavy metal poisoning.

Urine probably makes a fairly good balm (from the uric acid and ammonia), but is also probably less good than citric acid, and definitely inferior to capsaicin. To a tibetan mountain man a couple hundred years ago, maybe that was good enough, but today we have options that are cheaper, better, and don't reek.

On the other hand, things like silver as an antimicrobial are still around, because they're supereffective. (eg. silver nitrate on babies' eyes)