Annoying Questions I'd Like Answered...

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

GABA
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Well, there's exercise, too, but that's a lot of fucking work!

Incidentally, that's the route I take.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Get one of those 99.99 vibrating Shiiatsu massage chairs.

That is seriously some of the best 100 dollars I have ever spent in my life. Pour myself some cheap tequila, put some Tabasco sauce in it, then kick back in my curbside-salvaged Laz-E-Boy with my massage chair to an hour and a half of MST3K and I'm right as rain. Unless I have a project or something I need to work on and I was only procrastinating. :cry:

Speaking of which, why does the combination of tobasco and tequila taste sugary? Not like a spoonful of sugar sugary, but there's definitely a sweetness to it.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

While we're on the subject, how can I force myself to stop procrastinating? Like, even when I remove myself from distractions I just have a hard time forcing myself to study or do homework unless there's a deadline fast approaching.

Procrastinating at this point is causing me more stress than the actual work. But I don't know how to get out of the cycle.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Relish more in the joy of having your work done than in the "joy" or procrastinating?
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

I'm trying to write a short story about being stuck in an armored car underwater.

I was wondering if anyone knew the difference of depressurization if you slowly let the water (say through leaks in the frame) versus, say, smashing the window open with a hammer. Would there be a significant difference between salt water and fresh water?

Would there be enough of a difference if this was a giant vat of water compared to a lake or the ocean?

I know these are a lot of questions but the pressure makes a very big difference story wise.
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Pressure under water on Earth goes up by roughly one atmosphere per 9.8 meters of water over you. Salt or Fresh doesn't matter much. How fast or slowly the pressure changes depends on all kinds of stuff - like how long it took you to sink down that far.

-Username17
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

*sigh*

Dead@17, and by extension, Viper Comics, the publisher.

What fucking theological side do they fall on? Dead@17 features a scant-clad 17 year old returned from the grave hacking up demons with abandon while displaying a stylized version of a symbol supposedly designed by Anton LaVey. Viper Comics also publishes a comic, apparently, about Hell Houses, christian propaganda masquerading as haunted houses trying to scare people into loving god.

Seriously? I want to read Dead@17, but if it's thinly veiled christian bullshit that's going to preach at me, I'm not going to bother.

All my attempts to discern their affiliation, as far as theology goes, have been thwarted. Anyone know what's going on?
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
The Vigilante
Master

Post by The Vigilante »

Prak_Anima wrote:*sigh*

What fucking theological side do they fall on? Dead@17 features a scant-clad 17 year old returned from the grave hacking up demons with abandon while displaying a stylized version of a symbol supposedly designed by Anton LaVey. Viper Comics also publishes a comic, apparently, about Hell Houses, christian propaganda masquerading as haunted houses trying to scare people into loving god.

Seriously? I want to read Dead@17, but if it's thinly veiled christian bullshit that's going to preach at me, I'm not going to bother.

All my attempts to discern their affiliation, as far as theology goes, have been thwarted. Anyone know what's going on?
Why do you care so much about the label ? Have you tried just reading it and judging it yourself ?
Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no one - for I am the meanest motherfucker in the valley.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Why the hell haven't they made remade the old NES game Blaster Master into a tank-themed Metroidvania game? That would be freaking boss. (The NES version was awesome but hard as balls due to the no save no password paradigm back then. Had to beat the entire thing in one sitting.)
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

The Vigilante wrote:

Why do you care so much about the label ? Have you tried just reading it and judging it yourself ?
I care about being preached at. I care about be suckered in by aesthetics and seeing christian bullshit spewed at me. And yes, I have tried to read it and figure it out, but three comics, and skimming through others is my limit.

Really it comes down to this, Vigilante, I'm fucking curious, if that's not enough for you, than feel free to fucking ignore my question.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
The Vigilante
Master

Post by The Vigilante »

Prak_Anima wrote:
The Vigilante wrote:

I care about being preached at. I care about be suckered in by aesthetics and seeing christian bullshit spewed at me. And yes, I have tried to read it and figure it out, but three comics, and skimming through others is my limit.
I honestly can't understand how the fuck you can go through 3 comics and decide you care enough about the underlying theology or whatnot that you ask other people wether you should like it or not. At this point, don't you think it's either there's no underlying christian ideology at all, or that's it's subtle enough that you can't even see it and thus it's probably not "christian bullshit spewed at you" ?

I'm not trying to pick a fight at all, I'm just trying to understand why you would not trust your own judgement enough to decide for yourself.

EDIT: spelling
Last edited by The Vigilante on Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no one - for I am the meanest motherfucker in the valley.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

The Vigilante wrote:
Prak_Anima wrote:
The Vigilante wrote:
I honestly can't understand how the fuck you can go through 3 comics and decide you care enough about the underlying theology or whatnot that you ask other people wether you should like it or not. At this point, don't you think it's either there's no underlying christian ideology at all, or that's it's subtle enough that you can't even see it and thus it's probably not "christian bullshit spewed at you" ?

I'm not trying to pick a fight at all, I'm just trying to understand why you would not trust your own judgement enough to decide for yourself.

EDIT: spelling
yeah, my earlier post was extra assholish because it was made on two hours of sleep.

I'm curious. Basically, it's like if a christian saw Archangel, from Xmen, and wanted to know if he's a good guy or a bad guy (or rather, whether the side he's on matches their world view) before they start reading and rooting for him.

I want to know if it's some "god's chosen bash demons" crap, or "free thinking people bash the demons who've decided to actually be douche bags" before I spend more money or time.

Or hell, even simpler: "What the fuck is Dead@17 actually about!?" that's a perfectly reasonable question to ask before continuing to read a series.
Last edited by Prak on Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sarandosil
Apprentice

Post by Sarandosil »

What's with video game prices in Australia?
Blasted
Knight-Baron

Post by Blasted »

The chain of custody is that the game creator (such as say, bungee) effectively sells the game to a distributor (such as THQ), who sells it to an importer (often the same company as the distributor) who sells it to a store (such as EB or Game).
In the past the AUD has been low enough that the price of games was a reasonable reflection on what the rest of the world paid, although still on the expensive side. Since the rise of the AUD, the importers and retailers have been pocketing the difference, rather than pass on the saving. The end result is we have offshore sites such as play and ozgameshop selling at vastly below store prices.
Steam and Impulse also used to sell at the USD price, however a few importers have forced them to match the store price through their contracts with the original distributor.
I suspect most distributors also have a finger in the pie there too.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

I seem to remember seeing a feat on the D&D Wiki a couple of days ago that scaled with you ranks in Concentration that would create a mind blade. I can't remember what it's called or find it. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Sarandosil wrote:What's with video game prices in Australia?
I don't know. I'm American. All I can tell is Brawl cost $50 when it arrived and it hasn't gone down much since, much like some rare Japanese titles are still $30-40 a half decade later due to demand. Or something.

You're an Aussie (I assume), you tell me.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Wait, there are Australians who buy games as opposed to pirating them?
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Quantumboost
Knight-Baron

Post by Quantumboost »

RobbyPants wrote:I seem to remember seeing a feat on the D&D Wiki a couple of days ago that scaled with you ranks in Concentration that would create a mind blade. I can't remember what it's called or find it. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
http://dnd-wiki.org/wiki/Tome_Skill_Feats are all the skill-based scaling feats.

It looks like Mindblade is what you mean.
Sarandosil
Apprentice

Post by Sarandosil »

sigma999 wrote:
Sarandosil wrote:What's with video game prices in Australia?
I don't know. I'm American. All I can tell is Brawl cost $50 when it arrived and it hasn't gone down much since, much like some rare Japanese titles are still $30-40 a half decade later due to demand. Or something.

You're an Aussie (I assume), you tell me.
I'm American too, I'm just perplexed as to how the prices can be that much worse in Australia.
cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

Distribution networks price based on long term australian dollar averages (0.75) and pocket the upside when it occurs.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Quantumboost wrote:http://dnd-wiki.org/wiki/Tome_Skill_Feats are all the skill-based scaling feats.

It looks like Mindblade is what you mean.
Thanks! I googled it and found a Tome Matieral link which had a shorter list, but I knew I'd seen it elsewhere.
Meikle641
Duke

Post by Meikle641 »

Why are movies so fucking expensive in Japan? I sorta want to get this Hatsune Miku concert on Blu-Ray, but it's srsly almost $90 US. And this doesn't seem unusual for other videos either. This is madness.
Official Discord: https://discord.gg/ZUc77F7
Twitter: @HrtBrkrPress
FB Page: htttp://facebook.com/HrtBrkrPress
My store page: https://heartbreaker-press.myshopify.co ... ctions/all
Book store: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/ ... aker-Press
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Meikle641 wrote:This is madness.
:sparta:
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Meikle641 wrote:Why are movies so fucking expensive in Japan? I sorta want to get this Hatsune Miku concert on Blu-Ray, but it's srsly almost $90 US. And this doesn't seem unusual for other videos either. This is madness.
Regional lockout.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack