The reason why fighters will never have nice things.

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

norms29
Master

Post by norms29 »

hogarth wrote:
Midnight_v wrote: I disagree with hogarth. Keeping up the Paul Bunyan theme, at low levels he's just a pretty damn good lumberjack with a heroic streak.
Which Paul Bunyan story are you referring to?
the problem here is that no one tells the stories about whne the hero was level one because people rarely care about level one characters.

every rendition of paul bunyan and similar folk heroes usually glosses over that part with just a throw-away anecdote about them doing things that were typically/mildly impressive for a grown man to do while they're still children.
kind of like how hercules kills those snakes that came to his crib when he was like a day old.
After all, when you climb Mt. Kon Foo Sing to fight Grand Master Hung Lo and prove that your "Squirrel Chases the Jam-Coated Tiger" style is better than his "Dead Cockroach Flails Legs" style, you unleash a bunch of your SCtJCT moves, not wait for him to launch DCFL attacks and then just sit there and parry all day. And you certainly don't, having been kicked about, then say "Well you served me shitty tea before our battle" and go home.
Spike
Apprentice

Post by Spike »

I've never particularly liked the Hero's Journey style of story anyways. Or rather: Bored now. Time to jump straight to the killin' and lootin' stories.
This being the Internet it follows that Everything I say must be the Complete Truth or Utter Falsehood. I prefer both at the same time.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Actually, I kind of regret using the term Dumbass Melee Fighter. It obfuscates some concepts and we have the confusion like Spike has.

From now on, I'm going to use the term Vanilla Action Hero to mean characters like Aragorn instead of DMF, because unfortunately the latter term unfairly includes characters like Kenshiro who actually work just fine at high levels.
Spike wrote: Don't be daft. Just because no one tells stories of 'wee paul bunyan, the ordinary little boy with a love of axes' doesn't invalidate the point that a 'chump with sword' can progress through 'John Mclane' into 'Paul Bunyan' as he levels, and should given the particulars.
1) Paul Bunyan isn't an appropriate high-level character. He's a one-note character--OMG he's big that his normal activities like dragging an axe or diggin' a waterhole creates natural landscapes! Puh-leeze. The magical characters of the party shit out better creatures than Paul Bunyan as an afterthought.

Not to say that gigantic characters are impossible. Pecos Bill is a high-level character and he would be important, since he gets access to feats that the wizards and clerics can't replicate. But even if you do find an appropriate mostly-melee high level character like him, there's another problem:

2) Pecos Bill or characters like him are not VAHs. They are explicitly magical characters, even if the story never uses that term. That's fine, One Piece uses that formula to great success. But that misses the point:

Grognards don't want their characters to do even that. High level DMF/VAHs are characters like Conan and Batman. As in, they are 'realistic' characters who at no point accomplish any feats outside the bounds of a 1970's-2010's VAH in American cinema under their own abilities. Yes, now and then the Vanilla Action Hero will have some magical assistance like a ring that summons a god or a magical sword, but that comes from other characters. Not them.

This explicitly excludes melee fighters who don't use magic but still accomplish impossible feats like Hercules and Kenshiro. But they're way outside the bounds of what the Vanilla Action Hero is capable of.

Now I don't have a problem with Vanilla Action Heroes turning into Transcendental Heroes. In fact I think that this is the way things should go. I was noting the intense resistance that grognards have towards abandoning the conceit of '20 level Vanilla Action Heroes'.

Spike wrote: The fix is simple: Give the fighters unique 'stab people in the face' powers that allow them to compete with barbarians or paladins that other classes don't get or have limited access too. If all stab people in the face classes are brokenly weak against high level pure spell casters, then obviously, bring all of them up to snuff.
Which doesn't solve the underlying problem of the fucking fighter and all of his dumbass friends of being unable to advance high-level plots under their own power in ways that don't involve 'I hit it with my axe!'.

That's the whole point behind this thread. All solutions towards 'fixing the fighter' invariably have this myopic point of view that their only problem is that they just don't have big enough combat numbers--because people can't wrap their heads around the fact even if the combat minigame was fixed with enough Handwavium, the fact is that the Vanilla Action Hero is a failed archetype that can't contribute in high-level plots outside of a very limited scope. It's just arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.
Last edited by Lago PARANOIA on Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

What "high-level" plots should we be concerned about exactly?
The first rule of Fatclub. Don't Talk about Fatclub..
If you want a game modded right you have to mod it yourself.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

MGuy wrote: What "high-level" plots should we be concerned about exactly?
We discussed a few of them earlier in this thread. Take a look, we came up with like 4 of them. And they're not even all that high-level, they're something you might see in the Aladdin cartoon.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
tussock
Prince

Post by tussock »

I was noting the intense resistance that grognards have towards abandoning the conceit of '20 level Vanilla Action Heroes'.
Speaking as a bit of a grognard, I think that's bullshit. In the old editions, you get to the realm of Lloth by swording a horde of 20' tall fire giants, their pets, and then MTP your way through a city full of drow. There was no other way. Then you went and sworded the cult-god of the drow herself. If they tried to stop you with fancy magic, you saved on a 2+.

The Wizard could win /some/ of that for you, but not a lot. The Cleric was not even close to you in herd-thinning ability, the Paladin struggled, and the Rogue was a joke. You had all the same non-combat skills as everyone else if you asked the right questions.

What classical grognards want is to have type VI Demons still be a thing where a fighter with good magical swords (talking or otherwise), good armour, a ring or two, and a pile of hit points can win. Rather than where the Balor casts a reverse Holy Word, with no save, and you shouldn't have bothered turning up.

So more E6, with Wizards going further only with good E6-style bodyguards, and big magic that fucks them up a bit.
MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:
MGuy wrote: What "high-level" plots should we be concerned about exactly?
We discussed a few of them earlier in this thread. Take a look, we came up with like 4 of them. And they're not even all that high-level, they're something you might see in the Aladdin cartoon.
Again what plots should we be worried about? If the earlier ones are "not all that high level" what, specifically should we be looking for fighters to do? The general answer I got when this thread first started is "Whatever wizards can do". I don't find that to be a bad answer at all but I'm curious as to what exactly a "high level plot" requires to be considered *really*, instead of not all that, high level.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

First of all, MGuy, trying to nail down what a 'high level plot' is is an absurdly broad task. There's no way to objectively define what it is because it includes plots like what Dr. Strange would do AND plot what Reed Richards would do when he's not shackled by his brother-in-law and Grimm.

You're not going to get any better answer than: draw a power curve from Little Red Riding Hood to Son Goku. Collect a bunch of different speculative fiction stories and arrange them by power level from weakest to strongest along the curve. Two-thirds of the way up there is high level.

It's all inductive and you're not going to get anything better than that. Even so, you can still draw conclusions from that--characters who wouldn't be able to contribute are not appropriate for higher-powered arcs. If it was just a one-off deal we can discard the data point--for example, the Flash is just not going to be useful in the task of 'the planet is exploding with everyone on it, oh shit what do we do?!' But he IS helpful in the plots of 'locate the dimensional lord's fortress and get past the All-Seeing Eyes of Destruction' and the plots of 'the sahugin have united into a million-strong army and are advancing on the capital, stop them!'. We can see that along the top of the curve, Bruce Willis and 1st-Year Harry Potter can't do much of anything to help even if they try their very best.
MGuy wrote:If the earlier ones are "not all that high level" what, specifically should we be looking for fighters to do?
For low-level plots, the VAHs can contribute just fine. Even though Harry and Friends can pretty much solve the plot of The Philosopher's Stone all on their own, it's not very hard to think of how if MacGuyver or James Bond was part of their team they would be very helpful. For the team of Spider-Man / Seven-of-Nine / 1st-Season Inuyasha, while they wouldn't be totally useless as of yet, those two contribute less and less. For the team of Ichigo / comics Iron Man / pre-endgame Edwin they're completely useless.

You might argue that it's just a function of levels, but the problem is that the VAH just can't gain all that much power without breaking their theme. Sure, they can still gain levels, but the levels that exist or that people propose to fix them with are either packed with pure metagame garbage like +10 to damage, stuff that lets them spin their wheels in place like feats, or stuff they could've done all along but couldn't do effectively until now for some contrived reason. The levels don't actually let them accomplish more impressive feats. This is not the case for non-VAHs; it's not hard at all to see how if Harry Potter gains enough levels he'll turn into someone as powerful as Raistlin. He learns more spells and can put more power into them. Same for gadgeteer heroes. Darkwing Duck -> Reed Richards. Or Magical Martial Artists. Iron Fist -> Kenshiro. You simply don't have a similar transformation for VAHs unless you abandon the flavor of them being VAHs.

FatR
Duke

Post by FatR »

I don't think that Vanilla Action Hero is even a dominant fantasy archetype nowadays. Whenever I look, I see protagonists with crazy-ass magical powers, often far exceeding in scale and power what DnD casters can do without deliberate loophole exploitation (and really the only reason they tend to lack in utility powers so much often is their lack of imagination). Even the posterboy for low fantasy, Song of Ice and Fire, has its plot built around the return of magic. And those heroes who are now treated as icons of VAH triumphing over magical adversaries, would have fucking died very early in their careers without friendly neighborhood spellcasters dropping enchanted items in their lap (Conan wouldn't have lived past his very first short story without this), or regular plot devices in their favor.

Blah. I hope advances in SFX technology and videogames will eventually relegate the Vanilla Action Hero archetype to the corner from which it crawled only because it was easy to film.
Last edited by FatR on Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aryxbez
Duke

Post by Aryxbez »

MGuy wrote:What "high-level" plots should we be concerned about exactly?
Well, can't say this answers your question exactly, but link to this thread might help slightly: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/ ... ople.?pg=1

As from that thread, Kratos of God of War, stands out as decent example of high level fighter adventures.

I suppose some don't like the idea of a fighter changing from VAH, to Transcendent, comes off as magical, as if powers came from a foreign source, than the PC's own sheer prowess. I myself am all for Fighter types progressing to the new tier, gaining those niche abilities, or superpowers as appropriate for the levels.

Charles Atlas Super powers all the way (at least till they become transcendent, or whatever)
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Aryxbez wrote: As from that thread, Kratos of God of War, stands out as decent example of high level fighter adventures.
I've only played the first GoW and that game is a perfect example of why the VAH should fuck off and die after a certain point.

Aside from the fact that Kratos is kited out with more superpowers and magical bling than even 3rd Edition characters, fucking just take a look at what happens to him. The Hydra and Minotaur boss battles were cool as fuck, but they were SPECIFICALLY designed to be able for Kratos to beat them. If they had swapped arenas or fought on an open field, Kratos would be fucked. Kratos went to 'hell' an back, sure, but the journey was barely even a couple of miles and had convenient platforming the whole way to help him out. At no point did Kratos ever take narrative control of the story in more than a superficial way--everyone led him by the nose to do what they wanted with convenient artifacts along the way and for such a violent, psychopathic bastard he sure followed the plotted line faithfully. Of course if he deviated from it at any point he would've been fucked; if Iron Man decided that the gods can go pound sand, he could at least go back to his lab and build a fuck-off nuke. Edwin could've done some stupid wizard trick like summoning a demon to get Pandora's box for him or just teleporting there himself. Ichigo, being a DMF (but not a VAH) could have just fought Ares as-is and probably win, too.

sabs
Duke

Post by sabs »

It's pretty simple really.

In a world where Spell Casters end up with the power to destroy entire armies. The guy who gets to be in said army, is going to look a little silly.

At high-levels, mundane fighters become leaders of men, generals, faces.
The know people, have contacts, and have access to artifacts.

This is why really, I usually never play D&D above level 7 or so. The game breaks down as the Spellcasters start being able to take down vast hordes, and Fighters, well, at best they're part of the horde being taken down.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

sabs wrote: At high-levels, mundane fighters become leaders of men, generals, faces.
... which is not a high-level ability. That's the domain of 1st-level monarchs, along with other bullshit non-abilities such as 'give a rousing speech for morale bonuses, yay!' or 'train the peaceful villages into competent warriors with a training montage!'

Putting a geas on your hordes so that if they do anything the least bit loyal they have a heart attack is. So is being able to staple the spirits of fallen soldiers onto the still-living. So is hooking up tens of thousands of soldiers with crazy clockwork armor.

shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

sabs wrote:It's pretty simple really.

In a world where Spell Casters end up with the power to destroy entire armies. The guy who gets to be in said army, is going to look a little silly.

At high-levels, mundane fighters become leaders of men, generals, faces.

This is why really, I usually never play D&D above level 7 or so. The game breaks down as the Spellcasters start being able to take down vast hordes, and Fighters, well, at best they're part of the horde being taken down.
There is a nail-head you hit here that many dont understand. The nature of a game is to be played, and people want to keep playing. While i tip my hat to people that want to keep using the same character and playing it out for as long as they can rather than seeing the character as a pawn easily replaced by rolling another...the problem comes when they forget how to let go.

Do you need to play to have your character fighting gods in order to have fun?

D&D started as the simple man leaving home to become something greater. a game where rather than read the story, you become a part of it. the problem comes when people trying to tell greater stories that make sense for the game.

recently reading on another forum about a few things it occurred to me that MANY people dont know how or when or even WHY to retire a character.

You stop playing at level 7 for you reasons, and other want to play on for theirs, but how far do you really need to go? How far can ANY game really support? Will someone become Thor? one thread in particular i was reading was about "backstories" and it brought me back to remembering an old section of the DMG/PHB i take for granted others do not have access to anymore with recent editions. a character background is jsut some ideas on why the character is adventuring...events of sorts that happened and goals for going out in the world.

take the original game where you reached "name level" and got things like a keep and such. those are missing from recent editions because the goals have been moved to KEEP PLAYING forever. 2nd AD&D had 20 level written up, 3rd i think had the same then expanded to 30 with some books, and 4th...well everyone knows that has 30 levels...but do you need them all? and why?

it seems the reason is that people dont know when to start a new character and cant let go of an old one. the games of course want to offer this so they can sell more material, but, with the exception of 4th....you dont have to use every level.
AD&D2eR DMG wrote:Rate of Advancement

The AD&D game is intentionally very flexible concerning how slowly or quickly characters earn experience--in general, this is left to the discretion of the DM. Some players prefer a game of slow advancement, allowing them time to develop and explore imaginary personalities. Other players like a much faster pace and a definite feeling of progress. Each DM and his players will likely settle into a pace that best suits their group, without even realizing it.

There is only one hard and fast rule concerning advancement. Player characters should never advance more than one level per time experience is awarded. If a gaming session ends and a character has earned enough experience points to advance two levels, the excess points are lost. The DM should give the character enough experience to place him somewhere between halfway and one point below the next highest level.
An average pace in an AD&D game campaign is considered to be three to six adventures per level, with more time per level as the characters reach higher levels. However, it is possible to advance as quickly as one level per adventure or as slowly as 10 or more adventures per level. The DM should listen to his players.

If the players are enjoying themselves and aren't complaining about "not getting anywhere," then things are fine. If, on the other hand, they grouse about how they never get any better or they're quickly reaching the highest levels in the game, the pace of advancement probably needs to be adjusted. This, like much that deals with awarding experience, may not come to a DM immediately. Let experience be your guide.

Copyright 1999 TSR Inc.
the thing missing here, like most is when to stop advancing all-together.

but a gem hidden in the class section, and for no small reason it exists:
AD&D2eR DMG wrote:Above 20th Level

Theoretically, there is no upper limit to character class levels (although there are racial limitations). The material presented here takes characters only to 20th level--experience has shown that player characters are most enjoyable when played within the 1-20 range. Above 20th level, characters gain few additional powers and face even fewer truly daunting adventures.
Consummate skill and creativity are required to construct adventures for extremely powerful characters (at least adventures that consist of more than just throwing bigger and bigger monsters at the nearly unbeatable party). Very high level player characters have so few limitations that every threat must be directed against the same weaknesses. And there are only so many times a DM can kidnap friends and family, steal spell books, or exile powerful lords before it becomes old hat.

Retirement: When characters reach the level where adventures are no longer a challenge, players should be encouraged to retire them. Retired characters enter a "semi-NPC" state. The character sheets and all information are entrusted to the DM's care.
A retired character still lives in the campaign world, usually settled in one spot, and normally has duties that prevent him from adventuring. While in the DM's care, he does not gain experience, use his magic items, or spend his treasure. It is assumed that he has income to meet his normal expenses.

The retired character can be used to provide players with information, advice, and some material assistance (if this is not abused). However, his or her overall actions are controlled by the DM, not the player who originally created the character.
If at all possible, player characters should be encouraged to retire as a group. This way all players can create and play new characters of approximately the same level. If only one player retires his character to start a new 1st-level character while all the others continue with 20th-level characters, the poor newcomer can't really adventure with them. (If he does, the player won't get to do much or the character will have a very short life expectancy!)

Some players may be reluctant to retire a favorite character. Explain to these players that retirement doesn't mean the character can never be used again. Be sure to create special adventures that require those high-level heroes to come out and do battle.
Every once in a while the old adventuring group may have to reassemble to deal with some threat to the kingdom or the world. It's the chance to show those upstart new characters just what a really powerful group can do! It also gives the players the opportunity to role-play some the their old favorites.

If the players see the opportunity to use their powerful characters, even infrequently, they will be less reluctant to spend most of their playing time with new, lower-level characters.

Copyright 1999 TSR Inc.
While retirement is suggested at level 20, where the books leave off due to the system...the more important part is in bold.

how much of the same junk do you want to go through with this group of characters?

people laughed and got mad at racial limits to classes, but with no limits, they complain the game breaks even more, or when unified like 4th...all classes are the same.

so either dump classes, by using a classless system, or play D&D with its classes, and like sabs...realize that there is a point the game can stop and you can start again trying a new lower level character group.

Odysseus went 20 years in his epic journey to return back home...just a mortal "fighter".
Play the game, not the rules.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
good read (Note to self Maxus sucks a barrel of cocks.)
FatR
Duke

Post by FatR »

shadzar wrote: Do you need to play to have your character fighting gods in order to have fun?

Actually, in the context of the world which is constructed to be crapsack starting from metaphysical cornerstones, fighting gods is not enough. But assuming that PCs will be doing so as a standard part of their career is a decent start.
shadzar wrote: D&D started as the simple man leaving home to become something greater. a game where rather than read the story, you become a part of it. the problem comes when people trying to tell greater stories that make sense for the game.

Bull. Shit. DnD started as the exceptionally gifted men surviving ridiculous danger and ascending to world-shaping masterminds. Some of the earliest modules had defeating giant armies and stabbing gods in the face, as was mentioned here. So anything less is being untrue to DnD's spirit.
Last edited by FatR on Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

FatR wrote:
shadzar wrote: D&D started as the simple man leaving home to become something greater. a game where rather than read the story, you become a part of it. the problem comes when people trying to tell greater stories that make sense for the game.

Bull. Shit. DnD started as the exceptionally gifted men surviving ridiculous danger and ascending to world-shaping masterminds. Some of the earliest modules had defeating giant armies and stabbing gods in the face, as was mentioned here. So anything less is being untrue to DnD's spirit.
BULL SHIT.
D&D Supplement IV Gods, Demi-gods, and Heroes wrote:This volume is something else, also: our last attempt to reach the "Monty Hall" DM's. Perhaps now some of the 'giveaway' campaigns will look as foolish as they truly are. This is our last attempt to delineate the absurdity of 40+ level characters. When Odin, the All-Father has only(?) 300 hit points, who can take a 44th level Lord seriously?

Timothy J. Kask
TSR Publications Editor
Lake Geneva, Wisconsin
4 July 1976
Stabbing gods in the face you say? Monty Hall, Tim calls you.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

On my bookshelf, I have a copy of the 1E adventures G1, G2, and G3. In those three adventures, the players fight the armies of hill, frost, and fire giants, respectively.

I also have Q1, Q2, and Q3. At the end of Q3, the players are expected to fight Lolth, the Goddess the drow worship. Not only that, in her home world of the Demonweb Pit.

I'd say that the concept of killing armies of giants and defeating deities was in fact a factor in early D&D.

Also, I have quite a few old issues of Dragon. At one point. Gary Gygax wrote articles for them. On many occasions, he had some harsh words for people who are dismissive of playstyles that they don't enjoy (and even defended the so-called "monty hall" style gaming. And said that people who didn't play that way were in no way superior to people that insists that their type of "playing pretend" was better than any other way).

In short, I'd say there was both precedent for god-killing in D&D, and the "right" way to play is the way that the group enjoys.
Last edited by Count Arioch the 28th on Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

Count Arioch the 28th wrote:On my bookshelf, I have a copy of the 1E adventures G1, G2, and G3. In those three adventures, the players fight the armies of hill, frost, and fire giants, respectively.

I also have Q1, Q2, and Q3. At the end of Q3, the players are expected to fight Lolth, the Goddess the drow worship. Not only that, in her home world of the Demonweb Pit.
OK that mega-series (GDQ) is AD&D1E...but i was talking about D&D and where it started...

EDIT: you edited while i went to find the new location of the TSR Archive....

Gary didnt like anything that disagreed with his vision...we all know that...but he later said if you aren't playing the game the way it was written, then you arent playing D&D...so turned around and changed his tune rather quickly to one-true-wayism.....

I think he was more trying to defend the game from losing players early on. Kiss ass to get more players rather than take a personal stance, which later he DID take that personal stance in Dragon...
Last edited by shadzar on Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PoliteNewb
Duke

Post by PoliteNewb »

Count Arioch the 28th wrote:On my bookshelf, I have a copy of the 1E adventures G1, G2, and G3. In those three adventures, the players fight the armies of hill, frost, and fire giants, respectively.

I'd say that the concept of killing armies of giants and defeating deities was in fact a factor in early D&D.
I agree...but I would keep in mind that fighting armies of giants and killing "deities" who only have 66 hp are things that Lago would define as "low-level", or "mid-level" at the highest. And that's the crux of the entire argument. Because you can't get people to agree on what is or isn't "high level", because it's entirely arbitrary.

EDIT: I thought I should also note that the G series was designed for 8th-12th lvl characters, and I have run it with parties having people as low as 7th. The D series is for 10th-14th. So you are expected to be able to complete these adventures, including killing a "goddess" (though a pretty feeble excuse for one) probably before you can cast 7th level spells, and possibly before you can cast 6th level spells; 8th-9th spells are right out. So again...it's pretty clear that Lago wouldn't consider this series of modules "high-level" (though he can of course correct me if I'm wrong).

There is seriously no point in having a game that tries to encompass all fantasy power levels, from Frodo the Hobbit up to Dr. Strange and Goku, in 20 levels. That is, in my opinion, just plain bullshit.

Design a game where you start as a farmer with a sword and end up a warlord who stabs giants.

Or start as a veteran warrior or journeyman wizard, and end up as a guy who stabs demigods in the face.

Or start as an awesome master, and end up the guy who rewrites reality.

Trying to do everything is going to make the whole thing suck for everyone, people who like it low and people who like it high. Because high-powered people don't LIKE starting as peasants, and low-powered people don't LIKE being told to only play the first 5 levels of the game.

Rand Al'Thor can fuck off.
Last edited by PoliteNewb on Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am judging the philosophies and decisions you have presented in this thread. The ones I have seen look bad, and also appear to be the fruit of a poisonous tree that has produced only madness and will continue to produce only madness.

--AngelFromAnotherPin

believe in one hand and shit in the other and see which ones fills up quicker. it will be the one you are full of, shit.

--Shadzar
FatR
Duke

Post by FatR »

shadzar wrote:
D&D Supplement IV Gods, Demi-gods, and Heroes wrote:This volume is something else, also: our last attempt to reach the "Monty Hall" DM's. Perhaps now some of the 'giveaway' campaigns will look as foolish as they truly are. This is our last attempt to delineate the absurdity of 40+ level characters. When Odin, the All-Father has only(?) 300 hit points, who can take a 44th level Lord seriously?

Timothy J. Kask
TSR Publications Editor
Lake Geneva, Wisconsin
4 July 1976
So... the guy says that 44th level characters are stupid because you can gank even the chief god at significantly lower levels. This is reasonable (save for the dismissive One True Way tone) and superior to 3.X realities. But this has jack-shit to do with your idiotic "point".
Last edited by FatR on Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

FatR wrote:
shadzar wrote:

Timothy J. Kask
TSR Publications Editor
Lake Geneva, Wisconsin
4 July 1976
So... the guy says that 44th level characters are stupid because you can gank even the chief god at significantly lower levels. This is reasonable (save for the dismissive One True Way tone) and superior to 3.X realities. But this has jack-shit to do with your idiotic "point".
MY point was made better by PoliteNewb while i went to read an old thread on DF where Frank Mentzer told me to make my Smurfs Chaotic Neutral...then as usual on boards moderated/run by assholes a mod came in and turned it into a fight and closed a very decent thread.

Basically, stop trying to play the game to where it cannot lead. If AO if the most powerful being, then what do you do when you defeat him in battle? Where does your character have to go then, no matter what class he is?

Learn to let go and play a new damn character. Try a high level no-magic game..or rather a game like an SSI gold box game where healing was done by NPC clerics.

Why the need to have 20 or even 30 levels?

again people were bitching about level-limits for demihumans, then when the limits were removed...the opened levels were then found to be fucked up and you can see why there were level limits to begin with for certain classes/races.

Elf magic-users would run and rule everything. MAgic will always be more powerful than might, and elves have the longest lifespan, so therefore...your world has to accept that when you remove limits of levels, and try to play every class through to the highest levels.

if people didnt notice the problem of the opn levels, then why does this thread even exist?

From what i gather 4th edition is at the end of its life-cycle with this past year and it was the perfect evening out of the classes giving them all comparable things at all levels right?

if you want to have a fight against a god-like creature with some high-level characters, then just have a one-shot with characters made for it. just because the game is one where you can be the main characters of your own story, stop trying to be Raistlin and Cyric.
DM Option: High-level Campaigns wrote:Chapter 1: The Seven Maxims

High-level AD&D® campaigns pose some special problems for the referee. Encounters are more difficult to construct because the DM cannot simply throw monsters at characters whose prowess are equal to those of Hercules, Merlin, and other heroes of myth and legend. Keeping a high-level campaign on-track and exciting can be so difficult that many players and DMs prefer to retire their high-level characters and start over at 1st level rather than continue the campaign.
Retiring powerful characters and starting over is not an unreasonable course of action. Indeed, Chapter Three of the Dungeon Master® Guide explains that retirement is inevitable once characters exceed level 20. If you are reading this, however, you’ve decided to forge ahead and experience what truly powerful AD&D characters can do.

The book you hold in your hands contains rules and campaign suggestions for characters of up to 30th level. For our purposes, any character of level 10 or more is high-level.
It is possible to have a successful high-level campaign, but only if the participants are willing to put forth extra effort to build a game that works.

Copyright 1999 TSR Inc.
"put forth extra effort to build a game that works"

meaning the game isnt made to be played "high level" as it doesnt work and wasnt built for it....it was built so that you would play a new charaacter after a while, not try to play the same character for your entire gaming career to level 1337.
Last edited by shadzar on Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

PoliteNewb wrote:

I agree...but I would keep in mind that fighting armies of giants and killing "deities" who only have 66 hp are things that Lago would define as "low-level", or "mid-level" at the highest. And that's the crux of the entire argument. Because you can't get people to agree on what is or isn't "high level", because it's entirely arbitrary.

There is seriously no point in having a game that tries to encompass all fantasy power levels, from Frodo the Hobbit up to Dr. Strange and Goku, in 20 levels. That is, in my opinion, just plain bullshit.

Design a game where you start as a farmer with a sword and end up a warlord who stabs giants.

Or start as a veteran warrior or journeyman wizard, and end up as a guy who stabs demigods in the face.

Or start as an awesome master, and end up the guy who rewrites reality.

Trying to do everything is going to make the whole thing suck for everyone, people who like it low and people who like it high. Because high-powered people don't LIKE starting as peasants, and low-powered people don't LIKE being told to only play the first 5 levels of the game.

Rand Al'Thor can fuck off.
I believe this sums up everything fairly neatly. The whole belief that "fighters can't have nice things" is only in question when the things they have don't fit the setting where they are supposed to be equal to those that have these "nice things" whatever they may be. Personally I think that at the point where characters start rewriting reality things are getting a ridiculous and, dare I say, it boring. But that doesn't prevent friends of mine from going I want to drop kick god "X" just because. And I can certainly respect that.

Further I hear the saying "advances the plot" in any meaningful way and I am a bit curious as to what exactly that means. I would think it would lean in the direction of having players being able to, through their characters, advance the story. But in some of the previous comments in this thread I've seen argument that more indirect ways of getting to Mt doom, such as creating a item that can do it, getting an NPC to take you, or calling in a favor from deity "X" apparently don't fit the bill.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

shadzar wrote:Basically, stop trying to play the game to where it cannot lead. If AO if the most powerful being, then what do you do when you defeat him in battle? Where does your character have to go then, no matter what class he is?

Learn to let go and play a new damn character. Try a high level no-magic game..or rather a game like an SSI gold box game where healing was done by NPC clerics.
You could retire your character after killing Ao.
shadzar wrote:again people were bitching about level-limits for demihumans, then when the limits were removed...the opened levels were then found to be fucked up and you can see why there were level limits to begin with for certain classes/races.

Elf magic-users would run and rule everything. MAgic will always be more powerful than might, and elves have the longest lifespan, so therefore...your world has to accept that when you remove limits of levels, and try to play every class through to the highest levels.
Last edited by Darth Rabbitt on Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
FatR
Duke

Post by FatR »

shadzar wrote: Basically, stop trying to play the game to where it cannot lead. If AO if the most powerful being, then what do you do when you defeat him in battle? Where does your character have to go then, no matter what class he is?
Ask me this again when my character defeats him (note, that as he is an asshole who helps to keep the world in the state that ensures it will forever torn apart by strife caused by actively malicious supernatural powers, his face likely indeed needs stabbing if one seriously wants to change the Realms).
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

Darth Rabbitt wrote:
shadzar wrote:Basically, stop trying to play the game to where it cannot lead. If AO if the most powerful being, then what do you do when you defeat him in battle? Where does your character have to go then, no matter what class he is?

You could retire your character after killing Ao.
You will have to explain what is funny for that comic, already on another dose of medicine and my funny went to sleep already form it....

the problem is you have to get TO Ao to fight him...and everything in the game isnt there to be fought.

James Wyatt or whoever really fucked up trying to over simplify and generalize the game to the Munchkin Card Game ideology of "killing stuff and taking its loot".

that isnt what D&D is about. Even earlier you get XP for more than just "killing".
Red Box DM book wrote:Multiply the XP value by the number of monsters defeated
Rules Cyclopedia wrote:Chapter 10: Experience
Experience From Role-Playing
Experience From Achieving Goals
Experience From Monsters
Experience From Treasure
Experience From Exceptional Actions
WotC changed the game to confuse enough people to not understand it and then proceeded to not understand it themselves....guess that comes form the 2 morons still sticking around after all these years worth of lay-offs that tried making their own rip-off of D&D cause they didnt understand it well enough being the ones in charge (Bill Slavesik, Richard Baker...Alternity....)

The more i think about it the problems of WotC D&D is that it isnt D&D....but fantasy rather than space based Alternity thanks to those two....

they tried to change the game...their new game sucked...so they spread the suck when they got to power and ruined it and confused everyone.

is it still player in-fighting that is bringing about the fighter shtick? one player wants to play a fighter and cant do as well at higher levels while his buddy is doing great playing a wizard?

again.. know when to retire your character or the whole group and get a new one. start a new adventure. play the same one with a new DM to see what things change with a slightly different style.