Africa and fiction

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Cynic
Prince

Africa and fiction

Post by Cynic »

I've been trying to find a decent representation about Africa in fiction. Aside from the bad dark continent references in bad Clive Cussler books, I'm never too sure of what is at least a little accurate.

Any good suggestions of stuff to watch, read, listen to?

Primarily, I"m looking for fiction but non-fiction can work as well.
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Most representations of Africa are pretty awful - and rare. Actually though, Blood Diamond is pretty fair.

-Username17
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

For non fiction, the best is probably the movie Hotel Rwanda.

For fiction, I'd go for Lord of War (mainly about arms dealing, but has very many scenes in Africa). Blood Diamond is also pretty good, but Lord of War is funnier and more entertaining, whereas Blood Diamond is much more on the heavy drama side.

Tears of the Sun is a bit on the crazy idealistic side but it does have a rather visceral depiction of an African genocide.
Last edited by Zinegata on Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
tussock
Prince

Post by tussock »

District 9 for cinema. It's stereotyped, but not badly. Oh, and the aliens are a metaphor. Otherwise just pretend whatever you're reading or watching is set in Africa.
PC, SJW, anti-fascist, not being a dick, or working on it, he/him.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

In practice, most good African fiction is science fiction. Because most good African authors hate right now, and look for something hopefully a little better. But if you read African Sci Fi/fantasy, it almost always ends up referencing a lot of African history and being very African Sci Fi, instead of Sci Fi.
Last edited by Kaelik on Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Doom
Duke

Post by Doom »

It seems like you're asking more about books than movies, but The Gods Must be Crazy isn't too bad, either.
Kaelik, to Tzor wrote: And you aren't shot in the face?
Frank Trollman wrote:A government is also immortal ...On the plus side, once the United Kingdom is no longer united, the United States of America will be the oldest country in the world. USA!
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

I almost always prefer books to anything else. But I'll take what I can get. Blood Diamond was good. But from the looks of it most of African fiction seems to originate in South Africa.

Kaelik: any good suggestions on African scifi/fantasy?

Metaphors and such aren't a problem with me. But if there are books/movies/shows/whatev that examines the problem directly then it's an added plus.
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
Juton
Duke

Post by Juton »

You can also check out the movies actually coming out of Africa. South Africa should be producing local television and movies in English, there is also Nollywood (Nigerian Hollywood) they produce a lot of crap but you can find a few gems in there.
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

Cynic wrote:I almost always prefer books to anything else. But I'll take what I can get. Blood Diamond was good. But from the looks of it most of African fiction seems to originate in South Africa.

Kaelik: any good suggestions on African scifi/fantasy?

Metaphors and such aren't a problem with me. But if there are books/movies/shows/whatev that examines the problem directly then it's an added plus.
Di Caprio's character is technically Rhodesian ;).

Of the ones I mentioned, none are focused on South Afica. Lord of War is on Liberia, Tears of the Sun is set in Nigeria, and Hotel Rwanda is set in Rwanda.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

What about Hemingway's stuff? Anything of his that I have read, I don't remember, but I know that he was pretty popular in Kenya when I was there - I got a lot of cool perks because I'm named after his first wife.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

I'm pretty fond of Chinua Achebe.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
K
King

Post by K »

How about The Ghost and the Darkness? Last King of Scotland? Both are pretty good for different reasons.

Basically it's really hard to get anything about Africa that is not also about genocide or rape, or rape and genocide, so I can't recommend the excellent documentaries I've seen. That's some grimdark shit, man.
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

Dammit. How can I forget Last King of Scotland?

It's also pretty good, though I was rather annoyed by how it focused much more on some English guy that got stuck in Africa. Plus, it's a bit less quotable than the first three I mentioned - all of which have a penultimate quote about the whole African fuck up.
JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

Cry the Beloved Country? The Hot Zone?
Last edited by JigokuBosatsu on Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theye1
Apprentice

Post by theye1 »

Say You're One of Them

It's fucking horrific.
The Lunatic Fringe
Journeyman

Post by The Lunatic Fringe »

How about the works of Ben Okri?
ckafrica
Duke

Post by ckafrica »

LeCarre Constant Gardner. Got banned in Kenya for hitting a little too close to home
The internet gave a voice to the world thus gave definitive proof that the world is mostly full of idiots.
Orca
Knight-Baron

Post by Orca »

The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency. Set in Botswana, it's too light and fluffy to be real but it has some of the flavour of the place I think.
...You Lost Me
Duke

Post by ...You Lost Me »

The Ear, The Eye, and The Arm
by Nancy Farmer

It's set in Zimbabwe in 20something (in the future). Solid combination of African culture and words with futury stuff... has some cool characters as well.
DSMatticus wrote:Again, look at this fucking map you moron. Take your finger and trace each country's coast, then trace its claim line. Even you - and I say that as someone who could not think less of your intelligence - should be able to tell that one of these things is not like the other.
Kaelik wrote:I invented saying mean things about Tussock.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

...You Lost Me wrote:The Ear, The Eye, and The Arm
by Nancy Farmer

It's set in Zimbabwe in 20something (in the future). Solid combination of African culture and words with futury stuff... has some cool characters as well.
I think that's one of the ones I couldn't remember the name of.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.