Looking for the right system.

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Blackmatter360
NPC

Looking for the right system.

Post by Blackmatter360 »

Hey everyone, I am looking for the right system for me and need some advice. I have played D&D 3.5, however the amount of modifiers and math involved draws me away from running it. I want a system with freedom to make what ever campaign I want, as well as very minimal math. I am interested in dice pool mechanics, if they actually work. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
CCarter
Knight

Post by CCarter »

3.5 is more toward the higher end of the complexity spectrum so that probably doesn't narrow it down much.

Down the other end I suppose I could mention Tunnels and Trolls - this is one of the simplest RPGs; you can get a free pdf of a simple version of the core rulebook at drivethrurpg. I started gaming with this ages ago. Still a fair bit of addition though, even though the rules are quite straightforward.
There's also a new version of 'Advanced Fighting Fantasy' due out sometime soon - I don't know much about it yet though but this is likely going to be pretty simple, in spite of the 'Advanced' in the name.

As far as dice pools go, not as many fantasy RPGs out there based on dice pools (I assume you're more after fantasy since you mentioned 3.5 ?)...
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

What sort of adventure do you want to run? While there are some real failures out there, different systems are "best", depending what you want them to do.
Blackmatter360
NPC

Post by Blackmatter360 »

I plan on running a steampunk fantasy game. (more towards the fantasy side) .

I don't like a ton of modifiers in the game, and I hate math. That is the key. I like D&D 3.5, all but the numbers.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Do you hate math all the time, or only at the table?
If it's only at the table, you may be able to houserule DnD back to sanity, or just fudge rolls enough that you're not bothered.

I've heard good things about Savage Worlds, though I dom't have any experience directly.

If you want to drop all the way down to barebones, I love the system in Danger Patrol, though you'd have to rejigger all the classes and ignore the fluff (not as hard as it sounds). It would also give you dicepools in a sane way.
Blackmatter360
NPC

Post by Blackmatter360 »

Only at the table actually.
TheFlatline
Prince

Post by TheFlatline »

I suggest the BEER system from Kobolds Ate My Baby.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Try this to pare down DnD: everyone must write out all their attack/AC touch AC/skills/etc ahead of time. Temporary stat changes (str/dex/etc) do not affect anything else. If you have some crazy alternate form or whatever, you write out a separate sheet for it. If that's still not enough, only allow 2 (or even 1) temporary/situational bonus at a time. Talk to your players about this ahead of time, since it really nerfs some things. Make sure your barbarian knows how power attack works.

On your side, do prep work. Do more ahead of time, and write out the results at the top level. It's cool if your bears have umpteen effects that they carry around, just write out their end results so your math all happens at the table.

At the table, get a little white board. Write up the initiative order on that each time, and after a couple attacks, add the monsters' ACs next to them.

Overall, it also really matters how good your players are at the system. Seriously, the fastest and smoothest combats I've seen included both a wizard and a guy who started combat with e.g. "I turn into an orc riding a dragon", "I turn into a tendriculus and grapple him", etc.
Krakatoa
Journeyman

Post by Krakatoa »

It really depends on what genre you're looking at.

I've not got much experience with Dice Pool systems but I like Wushu. It's extremely Rules Lite, but it can be flavored for any genre. You increase your dicepool, literally, by adding more cool flourishes to your action. The only draw back is that if your players like more detailed rules about what they can and can't do then it is not a good system for them. It's really only good for one-shot games or games where nobody wants advancement.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tri-Stat_dX

Pretty easy to learn and doesn't take a lot of dice. Also it can do any genre. Of course it has the same problems as any point based system. It is really easy to make a broken character and the Mister Cavern will have to keep an eye on the character sheets.
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
TheWorid
Master

Post by TheWorid »

Krakatoa wrote:It really depends on what genre you're looking at.

I've not got much experience with Dice Pool systems but I like Wushu. It's extremely Rules Lite, but it can be flavored for any genre. You increase your dicepool, literally, by adding more cool flourishes to your action. The only draw back is that if your players like more detailed rules about what they can and can't do then it is not a good system for them. It's really only good for one-shot games or games where nobody wants advancement.
So, first you said that it depends on what genre you're looking for, then you suggest a generic system?

The problem with Wushu is that it doesn't exist. Meaning that there's so little there that it's basically "Magic Tea Party: The Game".

The single game I know of that sounds the closest to the fantasy/steampunk concept you're going for is Engines and Empires, which is pretty much just that. I can't vouch for how good it is, though, having only skimmed it.
FrankTrollman wrote:Coming or going, you must deny people their fervent wishes, because their genuine desire is retarded and impossible.