Comic books prices

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

The Vigilante
Master

Comic books prices

Post by The Vigilante »

Hello fine folks,
My girlfriend has quite the collection of 'alternative' comic books, by which I mean not superhero comics, things like Jhonen Vasquez and Roman Dirge. She's looking to unload a few of them, but she has no idea how much they are worth, and the only thing I know about comic books is that they are books made of paper with comics in them.

Do you guys have any clue where we could get a ballpark idea of what they are worth ? She tried looking at Amazon but the prices vary wildly and it's not helping.
Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no one - for I am the meanest motherfucker in the valley.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

You might try something like http://www.comicspriceguide.com/ .
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

In good condition, they're probably worth about cover price, maybe a bit more. Comic collecting as an investment kind of died...
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Doom
Duke

Post by Doom »

I thought that market pretty much melted away. I mean, with PDFs anyone who wants can read comics (assuming there are PDFs of the comics, and I know there are pdfs of all sorts of other crap).

Definitely when looking at the price guide, expect her 'liquidation value' to be under half (maybe even worse), guides are notorious for pricing well over market value.
Kaelik, to Tzor wrote: And you aren't shot in the face?
Frank Trollman wrote:A government is also immortal ...On the plus side, once the United Kingdom is no longer united, the United States of America will be the oldest country in the world. USA!
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

cbrs are specially packaged rar/zip/tar/jar files that are readable by comic book reader programs. PDF files are way too large and way to unwieldy. But I agree with what everyone has said. comics have absolutely no value unless you have a super rare collectible one which is highly unlikely in the last 10-20 years of comics.
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.