Things I learned today...

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Blasted
Knight-Baron

Post by Blasted »

It may be the nostalgia speaking, but what on earth did they censor?
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

In the 25th Anniversary edition, the words "damn" and "hell" are edited out, one scene is blurred (I think it's the nude scene when the unicorn becomes a girl, but I haven't seen the edited version), and the movie is sped up a little.

These issues were resolved in the Blu-ray edition.
Last edited by Maj on Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

//
Last edited by ubernoob on Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Had you sampled from the person before the piercing? If not, you're really changing two variables, there. ;)
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Yes. I insist that Ubernoob do a more rigorous sampling on this subject.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

//
Last edited by ubernoob on Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

My wife ordered a CD off of Amazon. The CD was sold by a business in Illinois. The CD shipped from the Czech Republic. The CD was counterfeit and won't play in my car.

I love globalization. :awesome:
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

I hope you left crappy feedback and demanded your money back from Amazon.

Incidentally, this is why I won't buy used CDs off of Amazon. Too much of a chance they are counterfeit, and burned with MP3s instead of lossless copies.
Last edited by Surgo on Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

FLAC-based audio cds are damned good though. I don't like having flac files on the comp because of the size constraints but if I need them for the sake of making a cd, I usually download .flac versions.
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

I learned today that gasoline pumps measure from the nozzle and not from the pump. So trying to eke out the last drops from the hose will cost you.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

I also watched Bob the Builder for the first time ever. Was plagiarism of Obama's campaign slogan "Yes We Can" ever the subject of debate during the elections?
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

I actually think that Bob the Builder came out before Obama's campaign.

But I never heard of any plagiarism cases regarding the phrase either way.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

My Project Manager is "Bob" ... Someone actually gave him a Bob the builder set with his photo taped over Bob's on the box.

Note that others later tried to rip off Obama's use of the Slogan. Southwest Airlines had a "Yes You Can" ticket sale. Ben & Jerry's has a "Yes, Pecan" ice cream. And Ikea is pushing unassembled furniture out the door with its "Embrace Change" campaign.

There were also a lot of funny videos on this notion made during the campaign.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Surgo wrote:I hope you left crappy feedback and demanded your money back from Amazon.

Incidentally, this is why I won't buy used CDs off of Amazon. Too much of a chance they are counterfeit, and burned with MP3s instead of lossless copies.
It wasn't used. It was just counterfeit. A very good counterfeit, I should add.

But, yeah, it's probably time to write an angry letter.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Darth Rabbitt wrote:I actually think that Bob the Builder came out before Obama's campaign.
Oh, totally. I reread my own post and realized that the way I worded it makes things sound the other way, but I'm totally curious to know if this was ever a behind-the-scenes thing during the election.

I would have thought that Obama's opponents would be all over it.
tzor wrote:There were also a lot of funny videos on this notion made during the campaign.
How did I miss this?
Last edited by Maj on Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

Maj wrote:I would have thought that Obama's opponents would be all over it.
There was so much to attack him on that claiming you stole a motto from a leggo man sized figure seemed just not worth the effort. Remember at the beginning, his oiriginal full logo looked a whole lot like the seal of the President of the United States. Here is the New York Times Article.

Just above the eagle’s head are the words “Vero Possumus,” roughly translated “Yes we can.” Not exactly E Pluribus Unum (Out of Many, One), the motto on the presidential seal and the dollar bill. Then again, Mr. Obama is not the president.
Maj wrote:
tzor wrote:There were also a lot of funny videos on this notion made during the campaign.
How did I miss this?
You tube is a vast place, a veritable wasteland, a plethora (in the proper sense of the word) of video.
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

There's also the thing where "yes we can" is a pretty generic phrase, and there's enough indexable content out there that you can find a "source" for anything original. The people who would have attacked him probably wanted something a little more substantial that would make them look somewhat less asinine.
Neeeek
Knight-Baron

Post by Neeeek »

Maj wrote:
Darth Rabbitt wrote:I actually think that Bob the Builder came out before Obama's campaign.
Oh, totally. I reread my own post and realized that the way I worded it makes things sound the other way, but I'm totally curious to know if this was ever a behind-the-scenes thing during the election.

I would have thought that Obama's opponents would be all over it.
The slogan predates Bob the Builder by several decades. It was the rallying cry of migrant farm workers, for example. Cesar Chavez (not the boxer) was famous for it. Of course, he said it in Spanish.

Was this mentioned in the campaign? Yes, the Obama campaign pointed it out to the voting Hispanic population as a unity point between the the campaign and the Hispanic community.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Oh, cool. Thanks, Neeeek. Nice to see you, BTW.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

The term "fajita" refers to a very specific cut of beef (skirt steak). If you see chicken or fish "fajitas", the term is being used incorrectly.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Ganbare Gincun
Duke

Post by Ganbare Gincun »

Surgo wrote:I hope you left crappy feedback and demanded your money back from Amazon.

What about used DVDs on Amazon? What have your experiences with them been like?
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

Ganbare: about the same. THe only ones that I have ever gotten decent quality from are used vhs and used tapes. But this was like 8 years ago. ALthough one of the vhs apparently had wrestlemania taped on it compared to Kenshin. WHich was aggravating but the company sent back the right tape plus half my payment.
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
Ganbare Gincun
Duke

Post by Ganbare Gincun »

Cynic wrote:Ganbare: about the same. THe only ones that I have ever gotten decent quality from are used vhs and used tapes. But this was like 8 years ago. ALthough one of the vhs apparently had wrestlemania taped on it compared to Kenshin. WHich was aggravating but the company sent back the right tape plus half my payment.
What? My shiny used copy of Freaked might be fake? I sure as hell hope not!
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

I learned that you can subscribe to toilet paper. Tell Amazon how much you want and how frequently you want it, and Charmin will send the best toilet paper in the world directly to your door. It saves $0.15 a roll. I signed up.

I also learned that my son knows how to navigate YouTube better than I do. I still have no clue how he does it.
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

Maj wrote:I learned that you can subscribe to toilet paper. Tell Amazon how much you want and how frequently you want it, and Charmin will send the best toilet paper in the world directly to your door. It saves $0.15 a roll. I signed up.
Never did it with toilet paper, but my mother loves this specific brand of lipton diet ice tea mix and we get it automatically from Amazon every month. It's really good because my father's friend (who only has one kidney) drinks the stuff by the gallon when he visits.

I even get an email reminder before they actually ship it so I could skip a month if necessary. I never have to do that, but it's nice.