Dom3: Revenge of the Den

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

jimbojones1971
Journeyman

Post by jimbojones1971 »

Well, I finally had a major battle with Rabelais. Lots of fun on both sides (= heaps of dead people). Was it decisive though? I really can't tell. I mean, if holding the field equals winning, then I won, and I lost a lower % of my army. But it can hardly be classified as a one sided victory, alas!

So yeah, as far as I can tell the next step is "we both reinforce, maneuver for a while, and then do it all over again."

Also pretty sure I'm just not using some of my units properly, but that is part of learning I guess. Role on the next battle!

Final note: The replay is awesome, just total carnage. At the midpoint my side of the screen is just full of burning giants, advancing on Abysia's front line. So basically, I only won because my guys were too stupid to run away in the face of Abysia's superior tactics :-D
Last edited by jimbojones1971 on Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Dammit, Marignon, I'm trying to have a climactic throwdown here!
Akula
Knight-Baron

Post by Akula »

angelfromanotherpin wrote:Dammit, Marignon, I'm trying to have a climactic throwdown here!
I know, so am I. I figured that it would be more climactic to battle at Ermor itself. Plus you know how arthritic my troops are, I couldn't get the throwdown army onto that fort last turn.
TheNotSoEvilNecromancer
Journeyman

Post by TheNotSoEvilNecromancer »

That was an interesting move, T'ien Ch'i. Leaving your capital and northern fortress utterly defenseless so that you could defend that isolated temple on my border with most of your remaining troops.
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

It's not like I can't move everybody back into the fortresses before you can attack them.
K
King

Post by K »

Sigh. Still no major battles for me, just a bullshit Scout attack.

On the bright side, now my SC god can cast Personal Regen for the climatic battle.
Rabelais
Journeyman

Post by Rabelais »

Good show Jimbo!

I made the mistake on NOT sending all my mages, since I wasnt sure the battle would actually happen, if my attempt to block you reaching solam failed, and I didn't want to lose 2 turns of research if the battle wasnt a sure thing.

Not sure half a dozen extra anathemants would have mattered, but I suppose I should have tried.

I was worried I didnt have enough bodies to hold the line, and indeed... I really didn't. Oh, well, we knew Plan B was going to get used eventually.

Nice move in the forest prov too. Last time I use those useless expensive wolves.
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

When I put in my last turn, I for some reason thought Agartha was attacking imminently, next turn, not 2 turns from now. Of course, the real reason I reinforced that border province was so Ulm couldn't take it.
Akula
Knight-Baron

Post by Akula »

Only a couple of hours till the hosting.
Gnosticism Is A Hoot
Knight

Post by Gnosticism Is A Hoot »

I really wish there was a 'do not use any gems in the next battle, you winged morons' button.
The soul is the prison of the body.

- Michel Foucault, Discipline & Punish
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Well, I got *a* climactic battle with Marignon. I won in a gloriously pyrrhic sense. Not at all sure what happens next there, honestly.
TheNotSoEvilNecromancer
Journeyman

Fun Fact: Lucky Coin /= Crystal Coin.
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

BNN Update:

Chelms Demands Agarthan Action Against TC

The Chelmian Foreign Office released an official announcement today, demanding that Agartha fulfill its promise to begin offensive action against TC this month.

Magister Wilfred, speaking for the Foreign Office, said, "We ask our traditional Agarthan allies to honor its commitments and launch a full-scale offensive. This was promised to Chelms after direct negotiations between their God and our Great and Holy Merlin. Both sides had committed to attacking TC until the barbarian horde has rendered its complete and unconditional surrender."

Relations between the two allies have been strained since Agartha made peace with TC several months before. In a secret deal, TC ceded the Gathian lands it had conquered in exchange for peace. Agartha has since publically reneged the deal and announced that it will start attacking TC by this month.

When asked about the status of the Gathian lands, Magister Wilfred would only comment that they remain "disputed territories", and that the focus should be the destruction of the barbarian hordes. Gathians living in exile in Chelms have denounced the move, saying "The Agarthans can't be trusted! It wasn't even their Prime Minister who declared war on TC! It was some schmuck advisor of an advisor!"

These developments come after tumultous events in TC, which saw the previous regime overthrown after a palace coup. All sides have since observed an unofficial ceasefire while determining the policies of the new TC regime, but this announcement seems to herald the resumption of the "Great Eastern War".
TheNotSoEvilNecromancer
Journeyman

Glory be unto Ghede and the eternal Oracles! Agartha has scored the first of what is hoped to be many victories against the duplicitious barbarian hordes of T'ien Ch'i. Though we lost many today know that it was the Khanate that suffered greater still. I earned the title Bane of the Dissolute in battles of Pastenna and Nifel where with many of you I purged Agarthan lands of the naked marauders of those far reaches. However on this day you all deserve such a title, for you all contributed in expunging the taint of barbarism from our borders and safeguarding our great Theocratic Democracy!

They say that demon you saw is the god of these fools... well how deific was she when she fled before the might of our Umbrals? How deprived these horsemen are that they have but one god when ours walk the earth in multitudes! The Blessings of the Pale Ones were with us today, they have shown us that no matter the meddling of politicians and thieves, it is they, the Once and Future People who determine our fate.

-Major Rexicalico Tvitno, Bane of the Dissolute
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Well, Marignon's finally done for me, I think. I could soldier on a bit longer, but it'd be pretty grim. Instead, I'm doling out my vast mystical wealth to those who have done right by me and saying goodbye and well-fought.
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

I thought umbrals were big enough that I would see them in my scout reports. I was wrong. Fortunately my anti-undead spells come online imminently.
Akula
Knight-Baron

Post by Akula »

angelfromanotherpin wrote:Well, Marignon's finally done for me, I think. I could soldier on a bit longer, but it'd be pretty grim. Instead, I'm doling out my vast mystical wealth to those who have done right by me and saying goodbye and well-fought.
Just how damaging were those flames from the sky? I'm curious if I managed to kill any mages or just your god.

Anyway, thank you for sticking it out as long as you did. Those last 3 battles certainly caused some damage.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Akula wrote:Just how damaging were those flames from the sky? I'm curious if I managed to kill any mages or just your god.
Both. After that fight, characters outnumbered troops in that province, so I took quite a shellacking from the bombardment.
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

I'm traveling on Thursday, so I'd appreciate an extension if possible for the turn to be due Friday evening rather than in the wee hours.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

Turn extended for 12 hours.
New hosting time: 23:05 GMT on Friday March 25th
Red_Rob wrote: I mean, I'm pretty sure the Mayans had a prophecy about what would happen if Frank and PL ever agreed on something. PL will argue with Frank that the sky is blue or grass is green, so when they both separately piss on your idea that is definitely something to think about.
TheNotSoEvilNecromancer
Journeyman

If any of the people I contacted are interested in making deals this turn let me know and I'll edit my turn file. I just wanted to be sure I didn't accidentally stale.
Akula
Knight-Baron

Post by Akula »

I'm kinda worried that ulm might stale again.
TheNotSoEvilNecromancer
Journeyman

Damn, the Battle of Gath just goes on and on, this shit is bananas!

EDIT: It ended when we BOTH routed! That Kohen Gadol soloed my entire army for over half the fucking battleafter the rest of Gath routed and their deity died!

I'm really glad I picked an immortal pretender because that is a shit ton of afflictions!
Last edited by TheNotSoEvilNecromancer on Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
K
King

Post by K »

Yeh, I saw that you were going to Dom-kill me this turn and I decided a final blow was in order. In hindsight, I probably should have just sent the SC and kept the God and priests for dom-spread and I might have squeezed a few more turns of life out of this game.

For the record, I would have "won" that battle if you hadn't Dom-killed me. My last SC was Beserking, so he would have fought to turn 100 (and auto-death for your side if any of your guys had been still fighting).

That was a hilarious fight though. Your God kept Soul Draining and I kept regenning. It's a damn shame I was using a Frost Brand instead of a Fire Brand.

Also, I totally thought you'd hit me with one of those Gifts from Heaven and auto-kill me, but you kept hitting your own guys.

What's the final total on those afflictions?
TheNotSoEvilNecromancer
Journeyman

Five Afflictions.

Weakend, Chest Wound, Never Healing Wound, Mute, and Lost his only eye... Ghede's gonna be on research duty for a while.

I figured you had something planned when I saw that guy with my scout so I planned to just domkill you or wait for you to break the siege. I didn't wanna face that guy in a chokepoint.

Another thing, you routed ALL of my commanders into adjacent provinces so I'm still like two turns away from having Gath's money, gems, and resources. Guess that's what I get for putting them all in the extreme edge of the screen.

Also, fun fact: Umbrals apparently have two eyes. I know because I have a few that lost both of them.
Last edited by TheNotSoEvilNecromancer on Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.