Dominion 3 Strategy & Questions

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

K
King

Post by K »

Pythium is accepted as being one of the weaker nations, so anything that doesn't power them up or weakens them is a bad deal.

Also, added complications like needing to summon your best mages needs to be offset by something big.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

K wrote:Pythium is accepted as being one of the weaker nations, so anything that doesn't power them up or weakens them is a bad deal.

Also, added complications like needing to summon your best mages needs to be offset by something big.
LA Pythium is a shit sandwich. MA Pythium is pretty good. They have decent early expansion, good late game magicians, and the cheapest (though by no means the best) communion in the game.

But yeah, Pythium aren't exactly skullfucking the game or anything.

-Username17
Akula
Knight-Baron

Post by Akula »

I think that pythium stands out because of the kinda random hydras, and the also random increased capital gem income.
Ikeren
Knight-Baron

Post by Ikeren »

Here's a question:

I have an astral 4 caster with Evocation 5 and Thaugmaturgy 5 researched. I mindhunt someone.

Oh noes, my cord gets severed by an enemy astral caster, and I'm feebleminded and I'll probably never recover!

So, that probably...can I use a Faerie queen's heal on it? What about Gift of Health? If not, am I basically required to target mindhunts at enemies that are unlikely to have Astral mages?
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Yeah, it's just an affliction. Mind, due to the way healing works it's hard to get rid of, IIRC, especially if you also have other afflictions. Also, the hunt fails if the cord gets severed, so regardless of what you've got to heal with targeting anywhere with a astral 3 or higher caster is a complete waste of time.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
Ikeren
Knight-Baron

Post by Ikeren »

Do Astral 3 casters succeed in severing cords 100% of the time? I guess that makes it a lot less potent.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Technically they succeed 120% percent of the time, actually. the chance is (40*level of astral)% per mage in a province.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
TheNotSoEvilNecromancer
Journeyman

Post by TheNotSoEvilNecromancer »

For units with seasonal powers (summer power, spring, etc. ) do they get that bonus when they attack on their respective seasonal turn or when they attack the turn before their seasonal turn?
Akula
Knight-Baron

Post by Akula »

TheNotSoEvilNecromancer wrote:For units with seasonal powers (summer power, spring, etc. ) do they get that bonus when they attack on their respective seasonal turn or when they attack the turn before their seasonal turn?
They get up to a 50% bonus in their respective season, with up to a 50% penalty in the opposed season.
Shiritai
Knight-Baron

Post by Shiritai »

Akula wrote:
TheNotSoEvilNecromancer wrote:For units with seasonal powers (summer power, spring, etc. ) do they get that bonus when they attack on their respective seasonal turn or when they attack the turn before their seasonal turn?
They get up to a 50% bonus in their respective season, with up to a 50% penalty in the opposed season.
Though hit point increases are done after monthly healing, so the first month of their season they'll have more max hit points than current hit points.

Has anyone tried sending indie commanders with, say, slave collars in a suicide run against a mage force? Since commanders autoequip items they find, it looks like a good tactic on paper at least, costing only 30 gold, 5 blood slaves and a mage turn for a chance of disabling a mage or commander.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Shiritai wrote:Has anyone tried sending indie commanders with, say, slave collars in a suicide run against a mage force? Since commanders autoequip items they find, it looks like a good tactic on paper at least, costing only 30 gold, 5 blood slaves and a mage turn for a chance of disabling a mage or commander.
That used to be known as "a dick move". People whined, and it now has the "no pickup" quality, where commanders don't put the slave collar on.

If you want to do that, you need to use Lycanthropos Amulets, which cause the wielder to go berserk in combat, preventing them from casting battle magic. But that's generally a bad move, since it's expensive and they regenerate and can still research and forge.

-Username17
Shiritai
Knight-Baron

Post by Shiritai »

FrankTrollman wrote:
Shiritai wrote:Has anyone tried sending indie commanders with, say, slave collars in a suicide run against a mage force? Since commanders autoequip items they find, it looks like a good tactic on paper at least, costing only 30 gold, 5 blood slaves and a mage turn for a chance of disabling a mage or commander.
That used to be known as "a dick move". People whined, and it now has the "no pickup" quality, where commanders don't put the slave collar on.

If you want to do that, you need to use Lycanthropos Amulets, which cause the wielder to go berserk in combat, preventing them from casting battle magic. But that's generally a bad move, since it's expensive and they regenerate and can still research and forge.

-Username17
Ah, I had wondered why those bloodhenge druids never dropped slave collars; now I know. It would be nice if they added a storage slot or two to commanders, so they could transport items without equipping them. Making that the default for picking up items found in combat would solve the whole "cursed item" problem as well as letting commanders loot even when they're fully kitted out. I've no clue how feasible that would be for coding, though, considering all equip slots are determined by just one value.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

There's a new Dom3 LP that has me scratching my head at people's builds less than halfway through the intro post up on SA

Order/Luck EA Pangaea. Serious.

Also Rainbow Niflehiem, though that's at least halfway sensible.

Edit: It got worse. Yomi took max drain. With an imprisoned pretender.
Last edited by name_here on Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Akula
Knight-Baron

Post by Akula »

Link?
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showth ... id=3398814

oh, and here's a sample quote from the yomi player:
What dreadful flags. I am Yomi and think you should cheer for me since I'm a strategic genius. Strategy wise my plan is pretty simple, take good scales overwhelm people with ko-oni. Oni after being killed once turn into ghosts which will reform back into Oni if the ghosts are not destroyed. The flaw in this plan is all Oni are demons, and are vulnerable to banishment spam. Research is for pussies.
Yyyep, he's going to die by turn 15.
Last edited by name_here on Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheNotSoEvilNecromancer
Journeyman

Post by TheNotSoEvilNecromancer »

Zinegata wrote:The Magic Fading Event apparently only happens when you go Drain 3. Since Ikeren is just at Drain 2, he should be fine.
Just a heads up. This can totally happen on Drain 2 Misfortune 2, it hit me once in the Revenge of the Den. On a turn where I got a pile of gems death gems in trade... I ended up with 4 total that turn when I was supposed to have around 15.
Last edited by TheNotSoEvilNecromancer on Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Akula
Knight-Baron

Post by Akula »

This "awesome gods" mod looks like a pile of shit. 25 points for a 3 base dom trampler with N and E magic off of the bat? Fuck you.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Oh, wow, I completely missed the cost line. Admittedly, Nifle got a vine men/ogre/king freespawner for about that much, so it might at least cancel out. Still, yeah, that's pretty stupid.
Akula
Knight-Baron

Post by Akula »

It has base N and E of 4! Fuck the fucker who fucked out this stupid mod. This thing costs nothing to get an E9 N9 bless. I hate this Ninja Debugger guy already.

Moloch...Already an awesome SC chasis, now costs almost nothing and summons a neverending stream of fucking devils in combat. As in, thug quality combatants every fucking round...I. HATE. THIS. GUY.

And you know what a rainbow mage needs...10 free summons every turn. Some are occasional Ivy fucking Kings. As in the conj 7 summon. GoR these guys and you get a 63 HP thug that already regenerates every turn. IS THIS GUY HIGH ALL THE TIME?! Fuck you Ninja Debugger.
Last edited by Akula on Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:51 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

Well I like Order luck too (if its a Big Map)
Red_Rob wrote: I mean, I'm pretty sure the Mayans had a prophecy about what would happen if Frank and PL ever agreed on something. PL will argue with Frank that the sky is blue or grass is green, so when they both separately piss on your idea that is definitely something to think about.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Paengaea freespawns Maeneads in turmoil. It's Frank's master plan in the very first (still ongoing) den game.
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

Akula wrote:It has base N and E of 4! Fuck the fucker who fucked out this stupid mod. This thing costs nothing to get an E9 N9 bless. I hate this Ninja Debugger guy already.

Moloch...Already an awesome SC chasis, now costs almost nothing and summons a neverending stream of fucking devils in combat. As in, thug quality combatants every fucking round...I. HATE. THIS. GUY.

And you know what a rainbow mage needs...10 free summons every turn. Some are occasional Ivy fucking Kings. As in the conj 7 summon. GoR these guys and you get a 63 HP thug that already regenerates every turn. IS THIS GUY HIGH ALL THE TIME?! Fuck you Ninja Debugger.
I suppose it could work if everyone started with a Pretender powered up to the insane levels of wazoo... except that it'd stop being dominions and should instead be called "Pretender Death Match"
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

name_here wrote:There's a new Dom3 LP that has me scratching my head at people's builds less than halfway through the intro post up on SA

Order/Luck EA Pangaea. Serious.

Also Rainbow Niflehiem, though that's at least halfway sensible.

Edit: It got worse. Yomi took max drain. With an imprisoned pretender.
Non-Turmoil Pangea isn't completely insane.

Frank went the Maenead route, but it's not the only option available to EA Pangaea. You can also go Minotaurs, which is very cash-intensive but a good option as they trample.

And having lots of cash to build forts is always nice regardless of your nation.

Taking Luck along with Order is... weird as Order cancels out a lot of luck events. It's suboptimal, but not necessarily a fatal choice.
Last edited by Zinegata on Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Order/Luck is a powerful combination in the late game. There is a diminishing returns on how many events you get each turn, with each event making another event less likely. So in a large empire, the reduced events from Order doesn't matter very much, while the increased chance of events being good from Luck still does. Also Order unlocks the following events:
  • A market held (500 gold)
  • A market was held (750 gold) (MA or LA only)
  • A market was held (1000 gold) (LA only)
  • A merchant's daughter married a priest (300 gold and a magic item)
  • A merchant donated to the temple (250 gold)
  • The Ring Wall is finished (free fortified city!)
  • A prudent administrator fears neighbors (+20 PD)
  • A great caravan from a distant province (1500 gold)
  • A great market was held (600 gold)
  • A fugitive from Eludia (Eludian Stalker, small pile of air gems)
  • Emissary from the Shadow Nexus (200 gold, medium ile astral pearls, magic item)
  • A merchant has converted (500 gold (MA or LA only)
  • A merchant was sick (1000 gold) (MA only)
And there are a few more if you are MA Tien Chi.
Luck 3, Order 2 makes a lot of sense just in general if you are playing the long game.

-Username17
Last edited by Username17 on Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

Holy shit, a free Fortified City?

Are Luck/Misfortune events documented anywhere?