Women and Gaming

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

I think this is one of those cultural constructs that is about expectations and the opportunity to overcome them. While gaming may not be the first pick for the ladies, once they come to it they seem to kick ass. Even in high school I remember that while D&D (as discussed earlier in the thread) didn't seem to present a welcoming environment, the chicks who got into Vampire were easily more hardcore. It was always "I'm a sassy flapper from the 20s who is also a diabolist with opiate lactation and a vagina dentata." So awesome.

Nowadays I think the gap is definitely closing- my teenage sister-in-law whoops up on both me and her boyfriend on pretty much any FPS you'd care to name. A couple who my wife and I game with are both huge nerds- but when it comes time for any sort of competitive game, the female half Natalie is the one who is going to administer some beatass.

I suppose the question remains- what is it about D&D, obvious chainmail bikini stuff aside- that is unappealing to most ladies?
Omegonthesane wrote:a glass armonica which causes a target city to have horrific nightmares that prevent sleep
JigokuBosatsu wrote:so a regular glass armonica?
You can buy my books, yes you can. Out of print and retired, sorry.
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

As one who did spend a lot of time in Astrid's Parlor when it first came up, I think the whole context of the question is wrong. Aside from my college days (when RPI still had only a minority of women anyway) I've been playing role playing games with the ladies all my life. I've played under lady DM's as well.

That being said, there is a general tendency to really mean "how do we widen a particular game's player base" when we talk about "women gamers." Not all people like the same games. (SHOCK AND HORROR) I think the basic idea goes back to a rant Gygax once wrote into his DMG about how in a world of "fantasy" you need at least one common thing that the players can relate and even cling to. (In his case he was writing about why AD&D was exceptionally human-centric.) What people read, what they watch, all have an imact on what they would prefer to play.

So if you look out there you will find a lof of different groups, some of these are highly female oriented. You have your crowd of soap opera watchers and romantic novel readers. They swim daily in a sea of relationships, lies, betrayals, and other social interactions. You might find them attracted to LARPS or to the interactin games like Vampire.

On the other hand there are also those who love a good mystery or even a gothic horror novel. Here they might gravitate to the gothic horror type of games.

And finally you have those blond (in spirit) shopping mall babes from Califorina. I don't think they gravitate towards anything.
JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

Obvious troll is obvious.
Omegonthesane wrote:a glass armonica which causes a target city to have horrific nightmares that prevent sleep
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

I think he showed up previously under an acronym.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

A Beaten Mermen Net Throw? Oh, acronym, not anagram.
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

[the voice of tech support]

Nothing to see here. Move along...

--Z

[/the voice of tech support]
You can't fix stupid.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." ~ Jackie Robinson
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

name_here wrote:I think he showed up previously under an acronym.
Yeah, he posted originally here, in Crissa's old thread. After I responded to him, he deleted his first post.
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

Thanks for the link... *whistles innocently*
You can't fix stupid.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." ~ Jackie Robinson
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

No problem. ;) I posted that as you were deleting the first post. Once I saw that, I figured you'd put it to use.
PoliteNewb
Duke

Post by PoliteNewb »

Count Arioch the 28th wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
I'm not sure why it needs discussion...it's pretty self-evident if you read his crap.
I am judging the philosophies and decisions you have presented in this thread. The ones I have seen look bad, and also appear to be the fruit of a poisonous tree that has produced only madness and will continue to produce only madness.

--AngelFromAnotherPin

believe in one hand and shit in the other and see which ones fills up quicker. it will be the one you are full of, shit.

--Shadzar
TheWorid
Master

Post by TheWorid »

I hate to make unfair generalizations, so make of this what you will. My expert testimony is that I and many other women I know like the interpersonal aspect of RPGs. That is, not only talking to NPCs but importantly having relationships with other player characters, who are usually more fleshed out. Having dragons and wizards is totally fine with women as long as they can also develop interesting characters.

Of course, that's anecdotal and by no means meant to indicate a rule for all women. Personally, I still enjoy bashing monsters and other standard aspects of the hobby. It suggests, however, more player-oriented games with ample ways to escape death besides padded sumo (character death nullifies character growth, and leaves a sour taste in the mouth of a new player who isn't used to it) and allow one to achieve great power such that they can exercise control over the world other than evisceration. The latter trait What's good about this is that this isn't a "girly" game, it's actually a viable and good way to go about making a game that we already strive for at the Den.

Also, best to avoid heavy math. That's true of any product that hopes to reach out to new players anyways. Women are perfectly capable of doing math, but in my experience they tend to be less acculturated to doing it in the context of recreation. That's a social trait, so the goal is to convince them that a some math is fine to play a game with and hypothetically future generations won't have that issue.

The other option is to ignore trying to target women specifically and just make games that don't suck. Then playership among men and women both will increase, and there won't be such a problem in the first place. There are plenty of female gamers, in all kinds of RPGs all ready.
FrankTrollman wrote:Coming or going, you must deny people their fervent wishes, because their genuine desire is retarded and impossible.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Psychic Robot wrote:
Plebian wrote:oh, yes, obviously I have to be feigning indignation that you think women are incapable of liking rulesets and videogames and pretend murder. that's the only possible explanation. couldn't be that I'm genuinely offended that you think an entire section of humanity is literally incapable of liking the same things you do because they don't have dangly bits.
If you're not trolling, then you're a male feminist. Enjoy your involuntary celibacy, rofl.
Wait, wait, wait. Male feminists don't get it on?

I guess I should tell the coed and the milf that I'm not available tonight. I'll admit that I'll miss their purring and other actions, but I guess that's that, I'm a feminist and apparently I have to be celibate.

I'm glad you opened my eyes on that one PR, I guess people really don't like to be treated with respect and decency, my mistake there.

I may need some pointers though, demeaning other people really isn't my style, or fitting of my temperament.

Seriously though, saying you're not a feminist is the same as saying you're a racist. It's a personal choice to be sure, but it's not a good moral one to make.

Which I think is pretty related to the topic of this thread.

Personally, I treat all female players who have never gamed before the same as I treat all people who haven't gamed before. I ask them what they feel like playing, help write up their character sheet based on their character goals, and then remind them during gameplay that they can use certain abilities when opportunities show up. I don't mind helping them optimize their characters, and have no problem throwing them gear that they want (usually I flat out ask them what gear they're looking to get, and give a list of powers available within their power bracket, from flying to mind-control or teleportation).

Treating any player in a condescending manner, or trying to embarrass them is, surprise, surprise, going to upset them. People don't want you to MC for them if you upset them, but for some people that's not apparent.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Rasumichin
Apprentice

Post by Rasumichin »

JigokuBosatsu wrote: I suppose the question remains- what is it about D&D, obvious chainmail bikini stuff aside- that is unappealing to most ladies?
The dreaded specimen known as The Neckbeard.
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

Plebian wrote:is there any way that you are not a terrible person
Yes, but they are few and far between.
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Chamomile wrote:Ant, what do we do about Psychic Robot?
You do not seem to do anything.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Coed is a sexist term. So there.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Rasumichin wrote:
JigokuBosatsu wrote: I suppose the question remains- what is it about D&D, obvious chainmail bikini stuff aside- that is unappealing to most ladies?
The dreaded specimen known as The Neckbeard.
Valid point. "The reason there are few Female Gamers is because of Male Gamers".
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Judging__Eagle wrote:
Psychic Robot wrote:
Plebian wrote:oh, yes, obviously I have to be feigning indignation that you think women are incapable of liking rulesets and videogames and pretend murder. that's the only possible explanation. couldn't be that I'm genuinely offended that you think an entire section of humanity is literally incapable of liking the same things you do because they don't have dangly bits.
If you're not trolling, then you're a male feminist. Enjoy your involuntary celibacy, rofl.
What's wrong with Celibacy? Don't get me wrong, I'm not religious by anyone's definition, but sometimes it's just easier in the end to not fuck someone than it is to deal with the fallout of fucking someone. (Learned the hard way a while back that it's not possible to un-fuck someone :tonguesmilie: )
Last edited by Count Arioch the 28th on Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

Celibacy: I choose to abstain from sex.
Involuntary celibacy: WHY CAN'T I GET LAAAAAAID
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Chamomile wrote:Ant, what do we do about Psychic Robot?
You do not seem to do anything.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Psychic Robot wrote:Celibacy: I choose to abstain from sex.
Involuntary celibacy: WHY CAN'T I GET LAAAAAAID
Also, perhaps it's from a hindsight perspective as I made the choice to have sex several times with it wasn't in my long-term best interests.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Ikeren
Knight-Baron

Post by Ikeren »

My DND group has generally been 40%/60% (male) or 50/50%. The gaming conventions (not limited to DND alone) that I've attended have generally been about the same. I helped run my universities gaming con and of the ~1100 people that attended, 57% were female. Perhaps it's because it's not limited to DND and they prefer other systems, but DND was a big focus.
Not sure I'm seeing some of the same things other people have experienced.

I'd have to guess that the biggest problem is groups that are treating women in some sort of marginalizing way --- assumptions about sex, appearance of character, crude jokes, or other behaviours that make women feel less welcome. Given the number of horror stories I've read (some of which are on this forum), I feel obliged to wonder if the system is not at fault, but perhaps some of the people that play it?
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

It's also possible that men spend time talking about playing, but women just quietly have fun actually playing. I don't think there are any really solid demographic surveys.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Count Arioch the 28th wrote: What's wrong with Celibacy? Don't get me wrong, I'm not religious by anyone's definition, but sometimes it's just easier in the end to not fuck someone than it is to deal with the fallout of fucking someone. (Learned the hard way a while back that it's not possible to un-fuck someone :tonguesmilie: )
You should check out Dylan Moran.

"You have a very important decision to make in life: do you want to be single, or with somebody? Do you want to be sane, or not lonely?"
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

Yeah, Dylan Moran is pretty awesome. His show "black books" is pretty cool.

Also, aside from Maj, who else is a girl on this forum? Crissa seems to have disappeared into the ether. So has cielingcat. Anyone else?
Last edited by Cynic on Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

Cynic wrote:Yeah, Dylan Moran is pretty awesome. His show "black books" is pretty cool.

Also, aside from Maj, who else is a girl on this forum? Crissa seems to have disappeared into the ether. So has cielingcat. Anyone else?
Koumei
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
PoliteNewb
Duke

Post by PoliteNewb »

Judging__Eagle wrote:
Psychic Robot wrote:
That line (that male feminists are sad sacks who can't get laid...often combines with "you're just acting all feminist-y to try to get in good with chicks) has to be one of the more laughable attempted insults out there. It's right along with such classics as "haha your a [EDITED]" and "NERRRRRRD!".
I am judging the philosophies and decisions you have presented in this thread. The ones I have seen look bad, and also appear to be the fruit of a poisonous tree that has produced only madness and will continue to produce only madness.

--AngelFromAnotherPin

believe in one hand and shit in the other and see which ones fills up quicker. it will be the one you are full of, shit.

--Shadzar