...We should create a Corporation.

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Gods_Trick
Apprentice

Post by Gods_Trick »

Midnight_v wrote: Plus, I'm awed by all the negativity.
Its a fast easy position with a lot of support. Self affirmation high if they succeed.

Negativity, its cheap crack cocain.
MfA
Knight-Baron

Post by MfA »

Prak_Anima wrote:Not really... Frank and K have expressed that their stuff is completely open source, and you don't even have to credit them. I actually would credit them, but that's because I hope to have some kind of career as a writer, and don't want some "you printed someone's work without accreditation!" thing to bite me in the ass...
Hmm, that's tempting ... I have been looking for a reason to get into Docbook&XSL ... could you perhaps link me to where they said that?
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

MfA wrote:
Prak_Anima wrote:Not really... Frank and K have expressed that their stuff is completely open source, and you don't even have to credit them. I actually would credit them, but that's because I hope to have some kind of career as a writer, and don't want some "you printed someone's work without accreditation!" thing to bite me in the ass...
Hmm, that's tempting ... I have been looking for a reason to get into Docbook&XSL ... could you perhaps link me to where they said that?
We say it all the time. Our work is open sourced and can be printed or reprinted any time, anywhere, in whole or in part, by anyone, with or without attribution.

The only time I've ever been pissed about getting plagiarized is when someone asks the plagiarist point blank whether something they wrote is cribbed from me and they deny it. Like Jaron_K or Oto the Bugbear. But that annoys me because of the dishonesty, not because of the plagiarism.

Caedrus/OneWingAngel copypastaed some of my writing into his super special secret forum and that did not bother me at all. The fact that he threw a temper tantrum and started accusing people of being in a giant cabal to destroy his special game forum and tarnish his good name kind of vexed me. But that had nothing to do with him putting essays of mine into his forums via Ctrl-V.

-Username17
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

I remember Otto, but what did JaronK steal and then claim was not yours?
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Kaelik wrote:I remember Otto, but what did JaronK steal and then claim was not yours?
Jaron had some sort of nerfed foil action in his Fighter variant. Someone said "Hey, that's something K wrote, right?" and he was like "NO U!" Just a quick internet search brings up this one. Though his avalanche of flame spam directed at anyone who could question that putting "foil action" as an ability in his Fighter revision wasn't 100% original doesn't appear to be there.

My complaint was never people using K or my work in their own game design, it was always people being douchebags. Like I said with Caedrus:
FrankTrollman wrote:Caedrus' material contains more than a little bit of stuff I wrote,lifted whole sale. Or at least it did last time I checked. Someone appointed themselves a whistleblower and granted me the opportunity to look in on his secret project asking if I recognized the material and if I wanted to do anything about it.

And like with Otto the Bugbear, the answer is that yes I recognize the material, and no I don't want to do anything about it. The material I write and put on line is open content, which means that people are free, nay encouraged to take parts to it that they like and use it for whatever purposes they see fit. I don't believe that intellectual property is helpful as a concept. I live by my principles, and if people want to take discussions I made about skill systems and repurpose them towards their own projects, then good for them.

I don't consider such things to be "ripping people off" - least of all me. There's nothing wrong with Caedrus' use of my discussions or material, but there is something wrong with Caedrus' bullying of other people and his weird secretiveness. The fact that he thinks the contents of his material is in any way secret is interesting and amusing, and the fact that he flips out at people for questioning the direction or tactics is just sad. But there is nothing, and I repeat nothing wrong with him including my works in his folk process. I find it transiently flattering and nothing more.
-Username17
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Oh no, I'm well familiar with your acceptance of people stealing your stuff, that's why I am still attempting a total coop of the Tomes by making only minor changes. I just love a JaronK being a retard example very much.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

I think I was somewhere in the middle of the whole Otto and Jaron thing, but without knowing it. When I used to be on the WotC boards (well after Frank had left), I saw Otto's Frank & K's fighter and liked it. The problem was, I actually thought that it was Otto's work because he gave no credit.

When doing some homebrew of my own on BG, I posted a similar version (giving Otto credit), and Jaron basically took my version (we were somewhat working together). It wasn't until Ubernoob told me that I even heard of the Tomes. It's basically what brought me here.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

Prak_Anima wrote:publish it through one of "just make an account, we'll print it" sites,
[Thread Hijack]
Such as?
[/TH]

Game On,
fbmf
Krusk
Knight-Baron

Post by Krusk »

Off the top of my head
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

Krusk wrote:Off the top of my head
Cool. And if I wanted a hard copy?

Game On,
fbmf
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Here we are. Someone mentions that the thing JaronK is holding aloft is in fact a neutered Race of War fighter, written by K and myself. Then JaronK loses his shit.

-Username17
icyshadowlord
Knight-Baron

Post by icyshadowlord »

That JaronK is a sad piece of shit. I wonder if he's still trying to claim that he did that himself.

Edit, because I had given away information I was supposed to keep to myself. And also because the part of the post I now got rid of was entirely pointless anyway.
Last edited by icyshadowlord on Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Lurker and fan of random stuff." - Icy's occupation
sabs wrote:And Yes, being Finnish makes you Evil.
virgil wrote:And has been successfully proven with Pathfinder, you can just say you improved the system from 3E without doing so and many will believe you to the bitter end.
Krusk
Knight-Baron

Post by Krusk »

fbmf wrote:Cool. And if I wanted a hard copy?
lulu

Blurb

Haven't heard literally anything about blurb but it was the first result in google.

Edit Fixing url tags.
Last edited by Krusk on Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

I hate JaronK as much as the next guy, but Frank is outright lying, and his own "source" proves it. Anyone in doubt needs only read that page and, um, a single link. Not exactly hard.
Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

Bigode wrote:I hate JaronK as much as the next guy, but Frank is outright lying
This is not uncommon. The idea that two people cannot come up with similar (or even the same) ideas without one copying the other is, well, horseshit. Alfred Russel Wallace totally cribbed off of Darwin, right?
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Chamomile wrote:Ant, what do we do about Psychic Robot?
You do not seem to do anything.
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

Retard: Jaron didn't use anything similar to Frank's in his original. In fact, had he, I'd support the claim of plagiarism without thinking twice.
Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

I don't actually give a fuck what he used in his original. He posted up something that had stuff copypastaed out of the Races of War Fighter. Whether that was his fifth version or his twenty fifth version makes no difference.

And that isn't even a problem, since the Races of War Fighter is open source. The problem is when someone says that it looks like a nerfed version of the Races of War Fighter - which it is - and he flips the fuck out. The problem isn't the copypasta, you can't steal something that's free. The problem is him losing his shit when other people discuss the origins of the abilities.

Him pointing to other, older versions he had been working on that didn't use anything derived from materials I helped write don't actually mean jack diddly in the face of the fact that his later version posted in that thread did. But again, and this is important: there is absolutely no problem with any version having Array of Stunts and Foil Action in it. The problem is 100% that he turned a very simple and factual observation into a giant drama bomb. Kind of like how you're doing now.

-Username17
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

Although JaronK did overreact to Caedrus, there is nothing so sweet as the nectar of Internet drama.
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

First off: no, you idiot - you falsely accused him again.

Second: you mean the fighter that RobbyPants posted, with abilities' origins clearly marked (save for Otto's, who never denied having lifted from RoW), and JaronK's clear disclaim about having done those? With Jaron's link to what he had actually done, which has no resemblance to yours?

BTW, I hadn't so far questioned your version about Otto: his claim that he couldn't get a reply from you as to how you wanted to be credited actually sounds pretty plausible.
Last edited by Bigode on Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

Bigode wrote:Retard: Jaron didn't use anything similar to Frank's in his original. In fact, had he, I'd support the claim of plagiarism without thinking twice.
Be that as it may, it does nothing to invalidate this statement:
The idea that two people cannot come up with similar (or even the same) ideas without one copying the other is, well, horseshit.
Ant wrote:
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Bigode wrote:First off: no, you idiot - you falsely accused him again.

Second: you mean the fighter that RobbyPants posted, with abilities' origins clearly marked (save for Otto's, who never denied having lifted from RoW), and JaronK's clear disclaim about having done those? With Jaron's link to what he had actually done, which has no resemblance to yours?

BTW, I hadn't so far questioned your version about Otto: his claim that he couldn't get a reply from you as to how you wanted to be credited actually sounds pretty plausible.
Biogde.

You are weird.

Apparently Caedrus said "looks like half a RoW fighter" and JaronK flips the fuck out. Now, Caedrus does ninja edit things all the time, true but JaronK is genuinely accusing Caedrus of ninja editing his post so to not say that, but somehow, the board says it wasn't edited.

He's seriously thinks the board not working is more likely than him making a mistake.

That link he keeps posting isn't what people were even talking about, so it has nothing to do with anything.

RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Bigode wrote:Second: you mean the fighter that RobbyPants posted, with abilities' origins clearly marked (save for Otto's, who never denied having lifted from RoW), and JaronK's clear disclaim about having done those? With Jaron's link to what he had actually done, which has no resemblance to yours?
Yeah, it's been two years or more, but near as I can remember:

- I read Otto's version (ripped off from Frank) several years earlier and liked it.

- I wrote up my own version as part of a larger project. This had a lot of stuff copy-pasted. In my first version, I attributed it to Otto, not knowing it wasn't really his in the first place.

- Other people at BG were bouncing ideas around, including Jaron.

So, I can't remember if that version posted at Glemax was one I'd made, or one based on one I made that Jaron had modified. Either way, it's entirely possible he didn't even know it was a watered down Tome Fighter. Oddly enough, it was that whole project where Ubernoob pointed me to the Tomes in the first place.
icyshadowlord
Knight-Baron

Post by icyshadowlord »

Okay, enough of this "X stole from Y" shit. We need to get back on-topic if you ask me, because pointing fingers seems quite useless around here because we cannot even agree on who denied stealing from others and who stole without knowing it was stolen and other such crap. Besides, Frank already said it was Open Source, so yeah.
"Lurker and fan of random stuff." - Icy's occupation
sabs wrote:And Yes, being Finnish makes you Evil.
virgil wrote:And has been successfully proven with Pathfinder, you can just say you improved the system from 3E without doing so and many will believe you to the bitter end.
MfA
Knight-Baron

Post by MfA »

Okay here's what I'm planning ... probably never going to finish it, but nice to have plans.

I'm planning to setup a Calenco repository and port a mix of PF, 3.5 and 3 SRDs to Docbook with it, with selected bits of Tome material. For things like classes, spells, magic items, skills and feats I'm going to try to use structured data ... (concretely each entry of these would have a relaxng schema). Which gets transformed to output formats with a stylesheet.

if I ever get far enough that I could see others wanting to contribute I'll open it up for people to create branches, but the stylesheets will stay private and the only output I'd allow users to generate with them would be HTML (although obviously anyone would be free to export the XML and create their own stylesheets as well).

Then I could get some cheap/free fantasy art and print out a pretty dual column PDF to sell (Docbook can't do fancy things like flow text around graphics etc, but for an amateur RPG PDF it should be good enough).

What do you think?
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

fbmf wrote:
Prak_Anima wrote:publish it through one of "just make an account, we'll print it" sites,
[Thread Hijack]
Such as?
[/TH]

Game On,
fbmf
LuLu.Com: Seriously, I use it for all my NaNoWriMo and Script Frenzy works. Not only is it a publishing tool that handles royalties, it handles the royalties for the PDF downloads as well.
Lulu.com brings the world of online book publishing to you. Looking to self-publish? Lulu's print on demand (POD) solutions make it quick and easy. Create a book in minutes, publish with the click of a mouse, distribute, sell and print books to order. It's that simple. Trying to make a photo book? Want to make your own calendar? Our easy-to-use online publishing tool allows you to publish and print your own high-quality photo book or calendar in minutes. Want to convert your book into an eBook? We've got you covered. With Lulu you can self publish and distribute your eBook in EPUB format making it compatible with the Apple iPad, Sony Reader, Stanza and more. Not looking to make a book or print a book? Lulu has a great selection of books, cheap textbooks, photo books and eBooks for you to buy. With our great prices and free shipping deals, shopping for books at Lulu is an easy choice!