VaeVictis, a Dom3 MP

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Also if you hold Ctrl down when clicking, all troops default to "Move" instead of "Sneak". It saves a lot of time.

-Username17
tenuki
Master

Post by tenuki »

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks!
the toys go winding down.
- Primus
Akula
Knight-Baron

Post by Akula »

Ulm, send a PM, I have some information I want to give you.
Brasidas
NPC

Post by Brasidas »

Akula wrote:Ulm, send a PM, I have some information I want to give you.
PM sent.

That brings up a question. Do we handle diplomacy in this thread, through the game's messaging system, or a combination of both? Is there a shared etiquette here for choosing one over the other?
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Brasidas wrote:
Akula wrote:Ulm, send a PM, I have some information I want to give you.
PM sent.

That brings up a question. Do we handle diplomacy in this thread, through the game's messaging system, or a combination of both? Is there a shared etiquette here for choosing one over the other?
Whatever.

The advantage of discussing something publicly is that there is a record of it and no "no I didn't" bullshit. The advantage of PMs and emails is that they are fast. The advantage of sending messages through the in-game message system is that the person you are sending it to very definitely gets the message on the turn they are intended to get it before they do their turn.

I almost always handle declarations of war through the in-game messaging system. It minimizes hard feelings and recriminations to know that the player receiving it got the message at literally the beginning of turn X, rather than getting it before submitting last turn or after submitting this turn or whatever.

Trades generally involve more subtle negotiation and bargaining, and it is better to handle it via PMs and shit where you can get a lot of back and forth haggling before submitting a turn.

-Username17
Brasidas
NPC

Post by Brasidas »

That makes sense, thanks.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

R'leyh announces an non agression pact with Pangea.
Red_Rob wrote: I mean, I'm pretty sure the Mayans had a prophecy about what would happen if Frank and PL ever agreed on something. PL will argue with Frank that the sky is blue or grass is green, so when they both separately piss on your idea that is definitely something to think about.
tenuki
Master

Post by tenuki »

Korwin wrote:R'leyh announces an non agression pact with Pangea.
Radio Harpy,
exclusive live interview with Adonis Zappa, Prophet and Press Secretary to the Church of She Who Accidentally Spells With A Triple D

Q: Mr. Zappa, what is it like to negotiate with a Starspawn?
A: WHAT? GODDAMMIT, TURN THAT NOISE DOWN! What was the question? No, not now, baby. Roll over. Sorry. Come again?
Q: [repeats question]
A: Oh, please call me Adonis.
Q: Right. _Adonis_, your secret peace mission to R'yleh has been the talk of the grove for months. Can you give our audience a feeling for what it is like to negotiate with a Starspawn?
A: Starspawn? [pause] Oh, that guy. Yeah, he was cool. It. Whatever. But really cool. Totally, I mean. And it's R'lyeh.
Q: Uh-huh. Would you mind getting a little more into the details of your experience?
A: Yes.
Q: Mr. Zappa, our audience...
A: I said yes.
Q: I see.
A: And call me Adonis.
Q: Mr. Zappa, at the press conference your spokesmaenad said that 'we are welcoming this hallowed treaty as a chance for both our peoples to step forward hoof-in-tentacle into a prosperous future'. How do you reconcile this statement with the latest budget proposal?
A: Budget? Oh, yeah. Well, the bitch said chance, didn't she?
Q: As a matter of fact, she did.
A: So what's there to fornicatin' reconcile? Chance can mean anything. Future, too. Besides, didn't my minotaurs instruct you not to bring up the economy?
Q: Mr. Zappa, my journalistic sense of duty does not permit me to...
A: Your what? Yo, Buctus! Get rid of that three-acorn hack for me, will ya?
Q; Mr. Zappa...
[unspecified noise]
[end of transcript]
Last edited by tenuki on Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:16 pm, edited 4 times in total.
- Primus
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Oh, hi, C'tis.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
Gnosticism Is A Hoot
Knight

Post by Gnosticism Is A Hoot »

name_here wrote:Oh, hi, C'tis.
We welcome our Ermorian neighbours, and look forward to a fruitful death-based cultural exchange.
The soul is the prison of the body.

- Michel Foucault, Discipline & Punish
Rabelais
Journeyman

Post by Rabelais »

Gnosticism Is A Hoot wrote:
We welcome our Ermorian neighbours, and look forward to a fruitful death-based cultural exchange.

*Best Dominions diplomatic ambiguity use ever - Nominee

On my part I think the expansion is going very well given I lost 2/3 of my army blind-attacking a bunch of windguided crossbows backed by orb lightning throwing air mages.

Curiously, that never happened in my test games.

Would have preferred barbarians or even elephants, but Nooooooooo....
K
King

Post by K »

Rabelais wrote:

*Best Dominions diplomatic ambiguity use ever - Nominee

On my part I think the expansion is going very well given I lost 2/3 of my army blind-attacking a bunch of windguided crossbows backed by orb lightning throwing air mages.

Curiously, that never happened in my test games.

Would have preferred barbarians or even elephants, but Nooooooooo....
Did you hit the province with the Air 6 indie Illusionist? That guy is no fun at all.
tenuki
Master

Post by tenuki »

K wrote: Did you hit the province with the Air 6 indie Illusionist? That guy is no fun at all.
*Gasp*
- Primus
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Bolivar Wise is batshit. Not only is he personally an Air Magic 6 character covered in gems wearing weightless scale and standing next to a dancing trident, but his province has a special magic site that is also very good.

The ideal situation of course is to seduce Bolivar, which can in fact be done. But failing that, murdering everyone in the province and taking the magic site is pretty good too.

-Username17
Ikeren
Knight-Baron

Post by Ikeren »

(I'm not in this game, but I'm still reading). Anyone know of a list of indie-mage recruitment sites magic sites? I feel like pretty much every game I stumble across illusionists. Sometimes 2-3 times.
Akula
Knight-Baron

Post by Akula »

Could we get the reminders changed to 12 hours please?
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Sure.
Shiritai
Knight-Baron

Post by Shiritai »

Damn, staled.

Edit: Can we get turn length changed to 27 hours or something, to reduce time creep?
Last edited by Shiritai on Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
K
King

Post by K »

FrankTrollman wrote:Bolivar Wise is batshit. Not only is he personally an Air Magic 6 character covered in gems wearing weightless scale and standing next to a dancing trident, but his province has a special magic site that is also very good.

The ideal situation of course is to seduce Bolivar, which can in fact be done. But failing that, murdering everyone in the province and taking the magic site is pretty good too.

-Username17
He's actually kind of easy to seduce because he generally wins any assassination battles that result from failed seductions.
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

Yeah... Definitely ambiguous.

It could mean the sort of "cultural exchange" that Leonidas spoke of in 300.

Or it could be the "cultural exchange" in the form of an undead Centurion getting busy with a mummified Lizard Priestess.

Goddamit. I'm hoping it's the first one now because of the mental images it produced!
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Shiritai wrote:Damn, staled.

Edit: Can we get turn length changed to 27 hours or something, to reduce time creep?
Done.
tenuki
Master

Post by tenuki »

Abysia, I'm still holding as you haven't answered yet. I do hope it's mutual. ^
- Primus
tenuki
Master

Post by tenuki »

angelfromanotherpin wrote:
Shiritai wrote:Damn, staled.

Done.
Since we're at it, can we switch over to 30-hour days? Would do wonders for my work-life balance.
- Primus
Rabelais
Journeyman

Post by Rabelais »

seconds that and I'm underemployed.

In other news it appears O1L3M3 isnt that good, at least not in vanilla.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

Since the Admin stalled this turn, I think he will need more time too...
Red_Rob wrote: I mean, I'm pretty sure the Mayans had a prophecy about what would happen if Frank and PL ever agreed on something. PL will argue with Frank that the sky is blue or grass is green, so when they both separately piss on your idea that is definitely something to think about.