CR/Level/HD divide

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Strung Nether wrote:
Ghostwheel wrote:@OP: This might interest you.
Here's an example of an MLET monster.
Hold on...are you telling me that ray of stupidity will take out the Tarrasque in one or two casts? wow.

nvmd, I forgot the "I'm immune to ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING but damage, have 700 HP, dr20, Fast heal 20, and am generally a massive tool" special ability.

The Tarrasque is a stupid monster.
Yeah, the Carapace ability specifically deflects any and all rays, possibly even back at the caster!
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Vnonymous wrote:It seems pretty clear what the consensus on this is. Is anyone else interested in rewriting a few of the monsters out of the srd to actually fit this criteria? It seems like it could be another nice tome project. Rewriting Team Monster seems like a bit of work, but not too much work. I'd say the hardest part would be figuring out exactly what cr you want things to be, as well as dealing with stuff like Dragons.
Rewriting Team Monster is more work than I will ever put into it.

But some Monster classes could be used instead of monsters. Dragons could just use my (incomplete) Dragon rules, with some modifications, and you could make almost all Demons and Devils off of True Fiend/Brute/Conduit.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Strung Nether
Journeyman

Post by Strung Nether »

Kaelik wrote:Rewriting Team Monster is more work than I will ever put into it.
Its almost like you would have to pay someone to do that.
-Strung
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

The key would be for a group of GM's to convert monsters as they use them before sessions, and then that work could be compiled via a handy wiki-esque repository. This is the internet - distribute the workload!

You could even maintain a list of monsters-to-do (a polite way of asking DM's to use and stat them up) and let the community of collaborators select their favorite versions when multiple versions exist, hopefully allowing the creme de la crop to rise. Or maybe just promoting dumb versions everybody thinks are cool - it's hard to safeguard against that sort of stupidity.
Vnonymous
Knight

Post by Vnonymous »

Monster classes like the True Fiend etc seem like the obvious shortcut. I'd imagine that Giant would be a pretty simple one to write(You get bigger and stronger and throw rocks) but stuff like "Fey" and "Animal" and "Magical Beast" and "Aberration" are going to require a lot more classes.
RadiantPhoenix
Prince

Post by RadiantPhoenix »

Giant could probably be a feat that scales with HD, and rock throwing would just be improvised thrown weapons.

Well, Fey seems like it would work a lot like the fiend classes, but with less evil and more nature.

Animal would probably be a 5-ish level minion class that went something like 'pick X perks from this list' at each level, where X is probably 1. It could also cover lesser magical beasts.

Magical beast could be changed to 'legendary beast' and cover both standard magical beasts and particularly impressive animal. Dragon classes might also be used in this capacity.

Aberration is supposed to be weird, so I don't actually know what to do with it.

Just my input.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

RadiantPhoenix wrote: Aberration is supposed to be weird, so I don't actually know what to do with it.
Seems like a True Fiend, but with [Aberration] feats instead.
Plebian
Knight

Post by Plebian »

RobbyPants wrote:
Strung Nether wrote:
Ghostwheel wrote:@OP: This might interest you.
Here's an example of an MLET monster.
Hold on...are you telling me that ray of stupidity will take out the Tarrasque in one or two casts? wow.

nvmd, I forgot the "I'm immune to ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING but damage, have 700 HP, dr20, Fast heal 20, and am generally a massive tool" special ability.

The Tarrasque is a stupid monster.
Yeah, the Carapace ability specifically deflects any and all rays, possibly even back at the caster!
amusingly the Tarrasque only has a +20 will save meaning a level 20 wizard with Dominate Monster could actually have a chance of making the bastard a slave for 20 days, and in the last few days you just spam Dominate at him until it succeeds again

blammo the legendary devourer of worlds is your pet forever