Adult Stem Cells are Treating Thousands of Patients Now

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

tzor
Prince

Adult Stem Cells are Treating Thousands of Patients Now

Post by tzor »

Me and Frank were going hot and heavy pulling a thread off topic the other week, so I figured I would pull out this really biased article in my favor. Adult Stem Cells are Treating Thousands of Patients Now.
After over 30 years of embryonic stem cell research, first with mouse and then human embryonic stem cells, not a single patient has been helped. And while over the past year, three experimental trials have been approved in the U.S., even many embryonic stem cell scientists believe the practical dangers of embryonic stem cells (tumors, incorrect tissue growth, immune problems) make such trials preliminary; simply using patients for experiments. Embryonic stem cells fail on both ethical and practical aspects, and have contributed only hype to the debate and false hope to patients.

Adult stem cells are both successful and ethical. They can be isolated and used without harming the stem cell donor. They can be taken from a host of tissues—bone marrow, muscle, fat, umbilical cord blood—and already have proven success at saving lives and improving health on a daily basis. Over 50,000 people around the globe are treated each year with adult stem cells. The diseases and conditions successfully treated by adult stem cells, as shown by published scientific evidence, continue to expand, with published success for numerous cancers, spinal cord injury, heart damage, multiple sclerosis, sickle cell anemia, and many others.
The article goes on about a number of major benefits in the here and now including
  • reversed heart damage in a small group of patients with the patients’ own bone marrow adult stem cells
  • treat corneal blindness using the patient’s own adult stem cells
  • chemotherapy followed by adult stem cell transplant can stop progression of aggressive MS
  • donor adult stem cells from bone marrow and umbilical cord blood to successfully treat children with a fatal genetic skin disease called epidermolysis bullosa
  • Phase I clinical trial showing the safety of bone marrow adult stem cells in treating traumatic brain injury in children
How's that hopey changey embryonic stem cell thingy working for you? Oh that's right. Batting .000 isn't it? But hey, that's the only way we can cure diseases right? Remember that every dollar going to embryonic stem cell research is one dollar NOT going to the stem cell research taht works, adult stem cell research! But hey not only do you kill embryos, you kill patients who don't have the cures they need. It's WIN/WIN for the pro-death movement!
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

If there was really a pro-death movement, tzor, it's your political party and religion that would be supporting it.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

I can always count on Koumei for making a tangential off topic political swipe. Clearly a member of the pro-death moment, Koumei is clearly killing time.
Last edited by tzor on Tue May 17, 2011 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Tzor, you don't understand biology. You are linking to people who don't understand biology and reading articles by people who don't understand biology.

To say that a patient has been helped by adult stem cells but was not helped by embryonic stem cell research is insane. That is a total non sequitur. Embryonic stem cell research is research. It's the thing that lets us make adult stem cells. Without embryonic stem cell research, there are no adult stem cells. At all.

This is exactly like claiming that not a single patient has been cured by testing drugs on lab rats. It may be true or false depending on how you look at it, but it's a completely retarded and vacuous claim that completely disregards where medical treatments come from and how evidence based medicine works.

The point of stem cell research, the entire point is to make adult stem cells. No one is ever going to take cells from random fetal tissue and inject it into anyone. Because that would be pointless. The promise of stem cells is that it can make tissues and organs that are genetically matched to the proposed host. The creation of self-grafts that can function in the body without fear of rejection. And you are never going to get that sort of tissue matching from a random embryo and no one in the medical community is saying that you will.

But we are saying that in order to make that magic happen, we need a more exhaustive understanding of the internal and external chemical environment of a cell when it decides to diversify into a liver or a kidney. Add guess what? That requires us to tear apart cells that are actually doing that. Over and over again. At every stage of development. In a wide variety of scenarios. Until we can make a really accurate map of how this works, we won't be able to do better than the really simple stem cell systems we have up and running right now. And the ones we do have working? Those are based on the embryonic research we already did.

Now you might be wondering how it is that we've ripped open a lot of frog eggs and even a lot of human blastocysts and we still can't reliably make your skin cells revert to pluripotent stem cells and turn into neural tissue. Well... that's because stem cell differentiation turns out to be really complicated. Here is part of the signalling information involving one incredibly important signalling molecule called "Sonic Hedgehog" (yes, really):
Sonic Hedgehog wrote:Hedgehog (HH) proteins signal by binding to the transmembrane proteins Interference hedgehog (IHOG) and Brother of IHOG (BOI), which facilitates the interaction of HH with the multipass transmembrane protein Patched (PTC). This interaction relieves the repressive effect of PTC on the serpentine protein Smoothened (SMO). Like PTC, SMO is an obligate component of the HH pathway, being required for all aspects of HH signal transduction that have so far been described. In Drosophila melanogaster, SMO becomes hyperphosphorylated in response to HH signalling and accumulates in the plasma membrane, whereas in vertebrate cells, the protein localizes to primary cilia following exposure to HH ligands. Once activated, SMO modulates the activities of members of the Glioma-associated oncogene homologue (GLI) transcription-factor family. In D. melanogaster, there is just one GLI-family protein, named Cubitus interruptus (CI), which is crucial for HH signalling. CI is a bifunctional transcription factor with both repressor and activator domains that flank a central DNA-binding zinc-finger domain. In the absence of HH signalling, CI undergoes proteolytic cleavage, which is primed by its phosphorylation by three kinases, Protein kinase A (PKA), Glycogen synthase kinase 3 (GSK3) and Casein kinase 1 (CK1), and mediated by the ubiquitin ligase pathway; this yields a truncated form of the protein that acts exclusively as a repressor of HH target-gene transcription (CIR). Activation of SMO suppresses CI cleavage and promotes the nuclear import of a full-length CI protein (CIA); the resulting depletion of the truncated form of CI relieves the repression of some HH target genes, and the full-length CI protein further enhances their transcription. CI is present in a complex with the COS2 scaffold protein, which recruits PKA, GSK3 and CK1, facilitating phosphorylation of CI on residues that are crucial for its cleavage. COS2 binds directly to the intracellular C-terminal tail of SMO, thereby providing a physical basis for the regulatory interaction between SMO and CI. Exactly how SMO activation abrogates CI processing is unclear, but one clue comes from the dependence of SMO activation on its hyperphosphorylation. Notably, the phosphorylation sites that are essential for SMO activity resemble those that are phosphorylated by PKA, GSK3 and CK1 in CI, leading to the suggestion that the phosphorylated C-terminal tail of SMO might compete with CI for a binding partner that mediates its cleavage. CI also interacts with the Fused (FU) serine threonine kinase that abrogates its sequestration in the cytoplasm by the Suppressor of fused (SU(FU)) protein. A negative-feedback loop is initiated when the BTB/rdx proteins, targets of HH signalling, degrade CI.
OK? Now, I cut that short. Because you don't understand it, and I bet you didn't even read all of it. But it gets the point across I think. This shit is complex as fuck, and we need a lot of data before we can make it do anything.

So when you come out and say that the research isn't helping anyone and the results of that research are... you aren't proving the point you think you are. What you're really proving is that you don't have clue one as to what the issues at hand actually are and are in no way qualified to say anything to anyone about what the best ways to proceed are. Furthermore, you're proving without the slightest shadow of a doubt that the advocacy groups you speak for and listen to are unqualified to craft policy or even talking points on this subject. Which in turn calls into question their authority on every other subject from economics to morality.

The harsh reality is that you don't know what you're talking about and you keep talking anyway. And that you are speaking on behalf of an entire religious ideology that collectively does not know what it is talking about. That you and everyone like you lives in the demon haunted world and your pronouncements about what is good or bad or dangerous or safe are based on abject ignorance and are not to be heeded by anyone ever on this or any other subject.

Are we done here?

-Username17
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

As usual, Tzor, you're missing the point.

First of all, embryonic stem cell research is the basis of adult stem cell research. Before embryonic stem cells were discovered and studied, nobody even knew to look for adult stem cells, or how to utilize them. Adult stem cells are both figuratively and literally a development of embryonic stem cells.

Secondly, the misguided medical policies of your political camp set back treatment via embryonic stem cells almost a decade. Is it any wonder, then, that serious medical research is only just getting underway?

Your arguments are just as disingenuous as claims that research into the therapeutic use of illegalized drugs should remain illegal 'because those drugs have no proven medical benefits'.
Last edited by CatharzGodfoot on Tue May 17, 2011 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

I'm an engineer. My gut instinct is to go back to the history and facts of the situation.

Stem cell research began with embryonic stem cell research. Adult stem cells were discovered later, as a product of research into embryonic stem cells. Both forms of stem cells are viable topics of research, with tremendous benefits just being realized.

I eat a lot of fucking chicken ova, so I would be a hypocrite to denounce any research just because it's based on experimenting with embryos, and I refuse to let any scientific advance tainted by its original research. I never felt guilty listening to a mix tape just because it was based on a Nazi magnetic wire recording technology scavenged from Operation Paperclip. I don't excuse unethical research and experimentation, but I'm not going to ignore all of its practical applications and terrible potential just to fucking spite the scientists and technicians that reached too far.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Who reached too far, AH? In what way are embryonic stem cell researchers like Nazi scientists? And would you be a hypocrite to denounce eating people because you eat chickens?
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

Tzor says adult stems cell research is awesome and embyronic stem cell research is bad. I had intended for my little rant to make clear that this is a bullshit distinction, and any form of stem cell research is acceptable. I care more about the results than the value judgments people are making. I guess I was unclear about that.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

I've written a little about stem cell research, and I am way not an expert, but there are a few things that I do believe I understand aside from the significant fact that embryonic stem cell research was the foundation for research into adult stem cells...

1) Embryonic stem cells can be made from other embryonic stem cells. When a research facility gets its hands on ESC to practice on, it doesn't mean that they had to destroy embryos to get them. Someone, somewhere, somewhen may have done so, but I find that a bad reason to not use the tools available.

In fact, personally, not using those stem cells seems to me to be an injustice - it removes any purpose those embryos had in their destruction.

2) I have no problem with embryos left-over from in vitro fertilization being used for scientific research purposes. Those fertilized eggs are often left on ice past viability and won't ever be people. Again, I believe that it's better for their faceless, nameless "lives" to count toward the improvement of knowledge than to get freezer burn.

3) An embryo cannot and will not be able to turn into a person without the benefit of pregnancy. Science will discover a relatively simple way to extract stem cells from an embryo without destroying it long before it will be able to grow a baby from an embryo without the benefit of a human woman. Whatever politicians and pundits say about embryos being people - it's not true. They are potentials, not actualities. Even if they are implanted into a woman, there is absolutely no guarantee that they'll turn into a baby.

4) Guilt. There is no faster way I know of to hurt a woman than by attacking her motherhood. Female guilt is horrendous when it comes to children. Women have a tendency to blame themselves for miscarriages. IVF patients are frequently so bound up by guilt that they pay monthly costs associated with keeping their embryos on ice to the point of inviability. By defining the beginning of human life as being at fertilization, you lock women into the notion that any failure is their fault, even if it's completely natural and out of their control. It's psychological torture and it's terrible.

Those reasons are enough to make me support ESC research, even if the only thing to come out of it is adult stem cell research.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

You know that you guys are helping him get off, right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-abasement

http://www.educational-psychologist.co.uk/attention.htm

Or if you like teh funniez: http://www.cracked.com/article_17522_6- ... et_p2.html (number 2 in the list)

I understand perfectly the need to chastise Tzor; I have fallen for it multiple times. But I am saying this is a time where we all need to be strong and stop responding to things he is saying.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

<looks at the bajillion tabs open in her browser>

Fucking damn it, Count. You linked to Cracked again!

:tongue:
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Mwuh-ha-ha-haaaaa! I have stolen some of your life and you will never get it back again! All is happening in accordance with Prophecy!
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Koumei wrote:If there was really a pro-death movement, tzor, it's your political party and religion that would be supporting it.
I actually prefer the terms "Pro-Death" and "Pro-tyranny" to decribe the two sides of the abortion debate. Everyone likes life, and everyone likes choice.

Of course, when it comes to Abortion, I vote regressive party: http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net ... regressive
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

Maj wrote:3) An embryo cannot and will not be able to turn into a person without the benefit of pregnancy. Science will discover a relatively simple way to extract stem cells from an embryo without destroying it long before it will be able to grow a baby from an embryo without the benefit of a human woman. Whatever politicians and pundits say about embryos being people - it's not true. They are potentials, not actualities. Even if they are implanted into a woman, there is absolutely no guarantee that they'll turn into a baby.
First of all, let's not complicate the matter with "turn into a person" which is not a scientific statement that can be verified. So let's consider the ability of an organism to grow and live.

An adult human cannot live long in the vacuum of space. Nor can it live long in the depths of the ocean. Gee you think that perhaps the ENVIRONMENT is important here? But isn't the environment separate from the issue of the organism? (At this time a billion bacteria cells cheer "RIGHT ON MAN!") The fact that an embryo requires an environment next to another cluster of cells (no really, it's not the fact that the uterus is the only organ that can sustain an embryo, it's just the only one that can survive the process and can handle the process - felopian tube pregnancies are still a major problem) does not in any way deprive that embryo of the status of that genus and species. The embryo is an embryo of a homo sapiens and will mature into an adult momo sapiens assuming it has the right conditions to do so.

Statement two; How many cells are in your body? Care to donate one? How many are in the "embryo?" Well let's find out, shall we?
Embryonic stem cells are extracted directly from an embryo before the embryo's cells begin to differentiate. At this stage the embryo is referred to as a "blastocyst." There are about 100 cells in a blastocyst, a very large percentage of which are stem cells, which can be kept alive indefinitely, grown in cultures, where the stem cells continue to double in number every 2-3 days.
So it's about a hundred, and only a large percentage of them are stem cells, you know the ones that will evolve to every organ in that being's body.

So the short answer is that it's going to be very difficult to extract without destruction assuming that there was a strong reason to want to do that, and embryonic stem cell researchers, who think it's not "human" at that stage have no reason to want to do so. So that's a non argument.

Finally as to the guarentee that it will not develop into a baby human being, assuming that this is not due to environmental problems, then the problem can only be the result of genetic problems ... AND YOU WANT TO USE THAT FOR STEM CELL TREATMENT?
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

What about what Frank and Catharz said about this being vital for future developments in adult stem cell research?
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

RobbyPants wrote:What about what Frank and Catharz said about this being vital for future developments in adult stem cell research?
It's crap. Pure and simple. Adult stem cells can be easily obtained from adults. The process is getting easier and easier. The best resource for adult stem cells are adults. (And if you really want to do research, newborns are great also, whole banks are being set up to save genetic material wasted at birth.) The only problem is getting stem cells to do what you want them to do. That requires ... adult stem cells.

Research that has led to CURES NOW has not used embryonic stem cells. I can't see why future cures would absolutely have to need them. There are already significant medical reasons why embryonic cures are a dead end road. This makes as much sense as the Aztecs tearing out people's hearts so the sun could rise the next day.

People like Frank and Catharz are blinded by a lack of moral guidance and by the self pride that no one should condemn "science" on the basis of moral grounds alone. It's like a Friday the 13th scenario. You might be able to save the life of someone ... if you kill 13 people in 13 days in gruesome fashion. You might. (You might even belive that you will, but with any deal with the devil, there is no way you will ever get your side of the bargain.)

People like Frank and Catharz probably go insane when I go Kennedy on them.

Ask not how many people must die so you can live.

Ask instead, how many people will live because you sacrificed your life.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

To reiterate what's already been said, adult stem cell research is a derivative of embryonic stem cell research. The former exists because of the latter. Research into the latter expands the former (and yes, I said expands, not expanded, as in current tense: every bit of research we do on embryonic stem cells makes our knowledge of adult stem cells that much more sophisticated and useful right now, still, today).
Tzor wrote:So let's consider the ability of an organism to grow and live.
Uhh... Why? Why would you care about what might be instead of what actually is? "It might one day be human" is a bullshit, uncompelling argument. For one, I can point out absolute tons of embryos that have absolutely no potential to grow or live: the ones currently frozen in fertilization clinics. The vast majority of those are never going to find a nice cosy womb to 'grow' in, and are going to be disposed of as medical waste. Yet fertilization techniques (which are basically try, try, try again, so they require embryos in excess of what will be actually carried to term) give people who never would have had children the chance to have children, and they create actual children who probably have stable, happy homes (if you're willing to go through all that to get a kid, I would imagine you're well on the way to being a good parent).

So we have a case and point where disposing of potential humans gives actual humans happiness, and creates actual humans that otherwise never would have existed. And if you're against fertilization techniques, you're just a dick who doesn't like letting people be happy.
Tzor wrote:So the short answer is that it's going to be very difficult to extract without destruction assuming that there was a strong reason to want to do that
I don't think you get this - most of the embryos that go towards stem cell research are unwanted. They are the excesses left in fertilization clinics, they are the product of abortions. These embryos are already destroyed - they are on embryo death row. They can either go into a medical waste dump or incinerator or whatever, or they can go into research.

You aren't taking a happy, giggling baby from a happy home, smashing its face in with a hammer, and then drinking the delicious stem cell nectar like some sort of horrible vampire. You are taking an embryo that is destined for an incinerator, and has no potential future of anything but ash, and using it for medical research instead.
Tzor wrote:then the problem can only be the result of genetic problems ... AND YOU WANT TO USE THAT FOR STEM CELL TREATMENT?
P.S., this is a dumb statement. For one, it shows you have no understanding that research and treatment are two different things. You should probably take the time to realize that treatments don't get developed without research, and you can totally do research on any stem cells, without giving a shit what the specific genetic make-up inside is. When you do treatment, it's the same as organ donation - the implanted tissue has to be sufficiently similar to the host as to not be rejected. But that only applies to actual treatment - if you want to figure out how to get stem cells to grow into organs, you can do that with any ol' bunch of stem cells. And embryonic stem cells even moreso, because they NATURALLY turn into organs, and you can sit there and look at them and say, "oh, that's how that happens." Something you can NEVER do with adult stem cells, because there is no recorded case in history of an adult human growing a new liver. Embryos, however, do it all the time, and we want to know how so we can trick adult stem cells into doing the same thing.

Research =/= treatment. Research ---> treatment. And we have to understand the process by which embryonic stem cells turn into organs before we can trick adult stem cells into undergoing those processes.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

tzor wrote: People like Frank and Catharz probably go insane when I go Kennedy on them.
You're no Jack Kennedy.
sabs
Duke

Post by sabs »

He's not even a Patrick Kennedy.
Murtak
Duke

Post by Murtak »

So Tzor, you are really saying that the only issue with embryonic stem cell research is that it is inferior to adult stem cell research? So basically you are fine with cutting up embryos, but you'd prefer to have the same research done on adult stem cells?

Fair enough. I don't know whether doing research on adult stem cells is feasible, but wanting research to use the best methodology available is quite rational.
Murtak
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

@Murtak, that's not his only issue, and if it were, it would just be demonstrably, scientifically false.

Embryonic stem cells naturally transform into organs - adult stem cells do not. Unless the idea is to, "poke it until it does something," there's not a lot to learn from adult stem cells. Embryonic stem cells have the unique property of natural transformation, and that's the property we want to study, and once we have mastered our understanding of that property we don't need embryonic stem cells anymore. But we seriously don't have that mastery, and poking around in embryonic stem cells is the best way to get there, because it will happen naturally and we can just directly observe it.

There will come a time when we know enough about the process that we really can forget about embryonic stem cells, because we will understand the entire process and there will be nothing left to learn about the biological and chemical process of cell specialization. But we are not there, and any assertion that we are can be shot down (and is in fact shot down) by the field's experts.
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

hyzmarca wrote:You're no Jack Kennedy.
Thank goodness.

By the way I was born in East Hampton. My father lived most of his life in East Hampton. He knew first hand a number of the Kennedy Clan. I'm glad I'm no Jack Kennedy.
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

OK Let's go over this one point at a time (quote and unquote would be unwieldy at this point).

The frozen embryo argument (but they are as good as dead anyway) How Many Frozen Human Embryos Are Available for Research?
Although the total number of frozen embryos is large, the RAND-SART survey found that only a small percentage of these embryos have been designated for research use. As the figure illustrates, the vast majority of stored embryos (88.2 percent) are being held for family building, with just 2.8 percent of the total (11,000) designated for research. Of the remaining embryos, 2.3 percent are awaiting donation to another patient, 2.2 percent are designated to be discarded, and 4.5 percent are held in storage for other reasons, including lost contact with a patient, patient death, abandonment, and divorce.

Although the 11,000 embryos designated for research might seem like a large number, the actual number of embryos that might be converted into stem cell lines is likely to be substantially lower. Because assisted reproductive technology clinics generally transfer the best-quality embryos to the patient during treatment cycles, the remaining embryos available to be frozen are not always of the highest quality. (High-quality embryos are those that grow at normal rates.) In addition, some of the frozen embryos have been in storage for many years, and at the time that some of those embryos were created, laboratory cultures were not as conducive to preserving embryos as they are today. Some embryos would also be lost in the freeze-and-thaw process itself.

Using a conservative estimate between the two conversion rates from blastocyst to stem cells noted above (27 percent and 7.5 percent), the research team calculated that about 275 embryonic stem cell lines could be created from the total number of embryos available for research. Even this number is probably an overestimate because it assumes that all the embryos designated for research in the United States would be used to create stem cell lines, which is highly unlikely.

Well, that's a lot of potential stem cell lines, all of which are potentials for roads to nowhere but hey, they are a great source of grant money while the funds last. And we have to search the entire frozen embryo repository to find and thaw them?

DSMatticus manages to confuse a property of stem cells with embryonic / non embryonic. The ability to transform into organs is the mark of a pluripotent. Clearly Embryonic Stem cells are pluripotent. Not all adult stem cells are pluripotent, but some are ... to quote wikipedia
Pluripotent adult stem cells are rare and generally small in number but can be found in a number of tissues including umbilical cord blood.
But hey, the number of cell lines that can be derived from getting samples from the maternity ward cannot compete with the large really small number, of lines created by frozen embryos.

But, hey why not just make them?
These are not adult stem cells, but rather reprogrammed cells (e.g. epithelial cells) given pluripotent capabilities. Using genetic reprogramming with protein transcription factors, pluripotent stem cells equivalent to embryonic stem cells have been derived from human adult skin tissue.[41][42][43] Shinya Yamanaka and his colleagues at Kyoto University used the transcription factors Oct3/4, Sox2, c-Myc, and Klf4[41] in their experiments on cells from human faces. Junying Yu, James Thomson, and their colleagues at the University of Wisconsin–Madison used a different set of factors, Oct4, Sox2, Nanog and Lin28,[41] and carried out their experiments using cells from human foreskin.

As a result of the success of these experiments, Ian Wilmut, who helped create the first cloned animal Dolly the Sheep, has announced that he will abandon nuclear transfer as an avenue of research.[44]
So what's my beef? The ends never justify the means. Most embryonic stem cell researchers want to make their own lines from scratch. They don't want to use Frozen embryos for the reasons cited above. You have them argue that without this research TODAY, cures are not possible.

Yet today, people are ethically using adult cells to cure diseases and the media wants to pretend its not happening.

I'll end with a counter side note. DSMatticuss mentions that no adult has regrown a liver. I seem to recall an article where embryonic stem cells would pass across the platcenta and travel through the mother, depositing themselves in locations where needed (such as the liver if there were potential cancer cells in that organ) replacing the diseased cells. My google fu does not reach graduate level google searches yet, so I don't have the link in under 2 minutes, but I'm sure you could find it if you tried.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

tzor wrote:First of all, let's not complicate the matter with "turn into a person" which is not a scientific statement that can be verified. So let's consider the ability of an organism to grow and live.

An adult human cannot live long in the vacuum of space. Nor can it live long in the depths of the ocean.
In order for a human being to get into the vacuum of space or the depths of the ocean, they first have to gestate, be born, and grow up.

In order for an embryo to become a person, it needs to be implanted, gestate, and be born. If it's sitting in a test tube, it will never be a person. It will never think, have a beating heart, feel, throw a ball, become an astronaut, or learn how to dive. It will be a mass of cells. Period.
tzor wrote:So the short answer is that it's going to be very difficult to extract without destruction assuming that there was a strong reason to want to do that, and embryonic stem cell researchers, who think it's not "human" at that stage have no reason to want to do so. So that's a non argument.
Yeah, it's hard, but techniques have already been discovered to do it. Making those techniques easier is the next step, so they can be implemented on a larger scale.
tzor wrote:Finally as to the guarentee that it will not develop into a baby human being, assuming that this is not due to environmental problems, then the problem can only be the result of genetic problems ... AND YOU WANT TO USE THAT FOR STEM CELL TREATMENT?
This is sort of like saying that in order to cure a disease, you shouldn't study the actual disease. It's ridiculous.
tzor wrote:So what's my beef? The ends never justify the means. Most embryonic stem cell researchers want to make their own lines from scratch. They don't want to use Frozen embryos for the reasons cited above. You have them argue that without this research TODAY, cures are not possible.
You're tilting at windmills and making up a baby-killing villain to yell at.
Last edited by Maj on Thu May 19, 2011 12:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Tzor wrote:DSMatticus manages to confuse a property of stem cells with embryonic / non embryonic. The ability to transform into organs is the mark of a pluripotent.
No, I didn't confuse anything - you just completely failed to realize we're not talking about pluripotence, we are talking about the natural tendency to engage in cell specialization.

These are different things. Certain adult stem cells are pluripotent, and can be induced via synthetic techniques to engage in cell specialization.

Embryonic stem cells are pluripotent, and they don't have to be induced to engage in cell specialization, they do it on their god damn own.

Can you understand why the latter is important? If you want to understand the process of how stem cells turn into organs, looking at adult stem cells is completely fucking useless unless you know how to synthetically induce them to transform. Embryonic stem cells, however, will do it completely on their own as a part of their natural life cycle, and you can study that.

You are confusing understanding the process with applying the process. Before we can understand how to get the most out of pluripotent adult stem cells, we have to understand how cell specialization occurs, what triggers it, and so forth and so on, and that requires looking at embryonic stem cells, the only place it actually happens on its own.
Tzor wrote:DSMatticuss mentions that no adult has regrown a liver. I seem to recall an article where embryonic stem cells would pass across the platcenta and travel through the mother, depositing themselves in locations where needed (such as the liver if there were potential cancer cells in that organ) replacing the diseased cells.
Even if that is true, you realize that's a case of embryonic stem cells curing a disease in another person, and completely counter to your actual point? You're lucky it's also so irrelevant - no adult human stem cell has ever spontaneously turned into a liver. And in light of the fact, to understand the process of how livers come to form from stem cells, we need embryonic stem cells like the ones you just described in the quote right there.