Warp Cult

The homebrew forum

Moderator: Moderators

Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

I realized that there is no heavy flamer weapon right now. Changed that in Unyuun. Now s/he has a normal Flamer.

I've also realized how brutal of a Tank Unyuun is.

5 str + 6 more from Carapace.

Giving hir Chaos Armour would be a huge increase, but wouldn't actually do more than only barely double hir total soak pool.

Would giving her a blankie made out of flak vests be considered out of line? S/he hangs around people that would know about armour, and giving their flamer-toting close-combat mascot some degree of protection isn't going to hurt (I'm betting that the giant Unyuun draws a ton of fire from enemies, so having hir able to absorb/soak damage would be a good idea).

I'm also very happy with the way that stat buying has been arranged. The stats that apply to everything are very expensive, but a character that wants to just crank one thing really high isn't going to be that inbalanced, just narrowly focused.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

The basic healing rules are in. Also I put in Unyuun.

-Username17
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Oh, healing. I thought that the damage rules sort of covered that, unless they're rules for real healing.

Awesome on the inclusion of the gender-mysterious close-combat well, monster.

I also notice that Bio-Ejector and Multidexterous were also added, as well as the edits to Unyuun's stats.
Last edited by Judging__Eagle on Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

"WYSINWYG" has a minor error:
But mostly this is because is because
Beyond that, a question: is it your intention that Stunning is a psychological effect? I can see the reasoning for it (for instance, it being an effect on the brain), but stunning is usually caused by entirely physical events (getting smacked in the head with a 2-by-4).
Hicks
Duke

Post by Hicks »

Some characters I've been working on over the holidays. Gotta fit MacGuyvering into the Ex-Techpriest done.

Mutant (300 points)
Having recently escaped the slavery imposed by a rival church which obliterated his birth genestealer cult, Xaxus licks its wounds and cautiously watches the backs of its liberators.

Strength: 5
Dexterity: 5
Intelligence: 2
Awareness: 2
Charisma :2
Willpower: 5
Edge: 3

Skills
Athletics 5 (Running) [10/12]
Endurance 5 (Strain) [10/12]
Martial Arts 5 (Natural Weapon) [10/12]
Stealth 5 (Infiltration) [10/12]
Perception 5 (Smell) [7/9]
Faith 1 (Cult) [6/8]
Intimidate 1 (Coercion) [6/8]

Positive Traits
(**) Alien Technology (Tyranid)
(**) Ambidexterity
(**) Blank
(*) Linguist (Tyranid)

Negative Traits
(***) Malignant
(**) Escaped Slave
(*) Ugly
(*) Lazy

Perks
Free Running
Sprint
Evade
Natural Weapon
Black Blood
Extra Arm
Extra Arm

Equipment
Cameleoline Cloak
  • Cameleoline is a substance that changes color to match the background, kind of like Predator. A character using a Cameleoline Cloak can hide anywhere with a free action, and is visibility to them is never better than poor.

Infra Goggles
  • A character wearing infra goggles can see into the infrared spectrum, which means that they can see most animals in the dark, see heat sources, and even recently handled objects by their heat signatures. This technology is so rare in the Imperium that virtually no one knows how it works or that this sort of thing is possible.
Nerve Staple
  • A nerve staple prevents a character from experiencing strong emotion. Once the spider-like device has inserted its prongs into the skull of a victim, they will never again feel hate, fear, or pain. Nor will they experience love or joy. The character is never again subject to Fear, Hatred, Love, or Frenzy.

Your standard melee combat monster. Its MO is to hide, charge accross the battlefield to a weakened foe, and shread said foe with 4 claw attacks. Depending on speed for armor, It takes a threshold (2 base + 1 evade + 1 running + 1 poor visibility) 5 to shoot at him (minimum, other modifiers apply) and 6 when moving at least 30 cm, and since the highest dicepool I can get to shoot at him is only a corner case described (and implemented) below, he should be quite survivable, although he should save his edge incase anyone actualy does land a shot with a plasma weapon.

Still, as it stands, I believe it is more efficient to go for speed rather than Carapace in a Mutant as a Strength 5, Athletics 5 (Running), Free Running, Sprint, and Evade cost 87 37 points for a +3 threshold which can out and out stop all damage, which you would need 9 carapace and 45 points to duplicate, and that is not even including all the extra damage tacked on to just about every attack. Strength was removed because both characters are assumed be sporting a Strength 5.

@ Frank: You might want to make Carapace better. Like having it provide 2 soaking which stack with all armor and itself, costing 2.5 points/die to Athletic's 3 points/die with the .5 price break because soaking is a losers game when you could just avoid the hit entirely. or not. whatever...

Psyker (300 points)

Having lost his parents to an Inquisitional purge, Alekzandr became the willing student of warp entities instructing him in his dreams, and now seeks to use his magic for his cult of like minded individuals, just as planned…

Strength: 5
Dexterity: 2
Edge: 3
Power: 5

Skills
Martial Arts 5 (Blades) [10/12]
Empathy 5 (Warp Perception) [7/9]
Perception 1 (Visual) [3/5]
Deception 5 (Fast Talk) [7/9]
Faith 1 (Cult) [6/8]
Channeling 5 (Telepathy) [10/12]
Invocation 5 (Hallucination) [10/12]

Positive Traits
(***) Psyker
(**) Ambidexterity
(**) Special Training

Negative Traits
(***) Interesting to Chaos
(**) Sickly
(*) Distinctive Style
(*) Coward

Perks
Quick Draw
Blood Letting
Hallucination
Heal
Imprint Emotion

Equipment
Force Weapon
  • A Force Weapon is a weapon that channels psychic power into a devastating warp strike. A Force Weapon in the hands of a Psyker is a close combat weapon that does +2 damage. In addition, whenever a living or daemonic target is struck by a Force Weapon the Psyker can make a Channeling test and the damage is further increased by the number of hits on that test.

Psychic Hood
  • A psychic hood helps lock out the perils of the warp, allowing the wearer to harness warp powers more safely and extensively, and is especially helpful in releasing chaotic warp energies to cancel other warp powers. The psychic hood reduces drain by 1, and reduces the drain suffered from countering other psychic powers by 2. In addition, the character's Power Attribute is considered to be 2 higher for purposes of how powerful a warp power or daemon can be invoked or summoned.
Familiar
  • Some psykers develop a close psychic connection with an animal or a materialized daemon. These creatures become their familiars. A psyker's familiar is pretty bright, usually at least as competent as the Beast Master's ferrets. But the real gem is that a psyker can invoke their psychic powers through the familiar as if they originated from it. Most psykers can only do this trick if they are within 20 cm of their familiar.

The origional Alek had issues where his silent mutation: ghastly really didn't work, nor did he possess the blood letting perk since he was ostentatiously a secondary melee-ist (what with a 5 Strength minimum for all psykers for Drain tests). Lightning Arc, while cool, needed to be replaced with something more versitile, ergo Imprint Emotion, which folds the Fear effect into the build nicely. Then there are the 3 Items no Psyker should leave home without: a Familliar (for the neato LOS exchange), a Psychic Hood (for Drain resistance), and a Force Weapon. The only way a Force Weapon could be cooler was if it was powered by the souls it has reaved, and the bit about the Channeling test (avereging 3~4 hits) increases its damage profile to 5~6, only surpased by Gun Fu-ing a Plasma Gun/Pistol

Although dual wielding Plasma Pistols at range is actually the best bet in the game so far: 5 dex + 5 firearms +2 specialization + 1 bionic eye targeter + 5 accuracy is a dicepool of 18, and has a +7 damage profile (altough the 10 ammunition is insane you're throwing 18 dice! +3 for 21 with an ambidextrous + Gun fu melee combo), which is implemented in this next guy.

Ex-Techpriest (300 points)
Excommunicated from the Adeptus Mechanicus for the grievous heresy of independent research, Ignatius Puddle has fallen in with a cult that is more appreciative of his talents.

Strength: 4
Dexterity: 5
Intelligence: 5
Willpower: 3
Edge: 4

Skills
Firearms 5 (Plasma Pistol) [10/12]
Artisan 5 (Weaponry) [10/12]
Logistics 5 (Research) [10/12]
Medicine 5 (First Aid) [10/12]
Technology 5 (Plasma Physics) [---/12]
Perception 1 (Visual) [3/5]

Positive Traits
(**) Ambidextrous
(**) Bionics
(**) Noble
(*) Hard Knocks Diploma

Negative Traits
(**) Criminal History
(**) Unlikable
(*) Coward
(*) Pervert
(*) Ugly

Perks
Cool and Callous
Dowsing
Evade
Free Running
Gun Fu
MacGuyvering

Equipment
Plasma Pistol (x2)
  • Accuracy: 5 Recoil: 0 Type: Pistol Damage: 7 Range: 10 cm Ammunition: 10 Cost: 50
    The Plasma Pistol fires ludicrously powerful bolts of searing plasma. Without constant maintenance, a Plasma Pistol can easily lose pressure in its internal plasma engine or overheat and vent plasma all over the operator. It can be set so that it will inflict a 7 damage hit on the operator on a failed ammunition roll rather than shut down. The Imperium often does this for their own plasma weapons, as getting a plasma weapon back to operation after shutdown requires a Technology (Plasma Physics) test with a difficulty of 3.

Artificer Armor
  • Artificer Armour is a type of exceptionally well-crafted power armour, that affords a greater amount of protection to the wearer. It functions exactly like Power Armor, save that it reduces incoming damage by 5 and provides just 2 extra soak dice.
Targeter
  • A Targeter is a device that affixes to the user's eye and their weapon, connecting the two with a cable. A weapon must be specially fitted for a targeter (Artisan 3, 60 minutes), and the targeter must already be of a type that functions with the requisite weapon type. Users of a targeter find that the firing lines of their weapon are superimposed on their vision, which makes firing much easier. A targeter provides a +1 dicepool bonus when firing the weapon and also reduces the penalties due to distance. The difficulty for distance is counted only every 30 cm instead of every 20 cm.
Mechandrite (?)
Other Bionics (?)
Med kit (?)

This guy is loaded, which is only transparently justified by having him be an excommunicated Techpriest who had to flee accross the stars with whatever he could carry on or inside his body. Dual Wielding Plasma Pistols Means 18 Dice at range and the ability to Gun Fu a cool 21 Dice in melee. Although you do have to sacrifice 1 net hit to shoot the other Plasma Pistol... whatever. Iggy also functions as the Team's mundane Healer and Techie (to complement Alek's Healing ability).

Demagogue (300 points)
If The Cult could be compared to a body, Constantine would be the mouth; his charismatic nobility and fiery oratory uplifts the spirits of the down trodden, and provides the gods’ illumination in the grim darkness.

Strength: 2
Dexterity: 2
Awareness: 5
Charisma :5
Edge: 5

Skills
Athletics 1 (Running) [3/5]
Empathy 5 (Sense Motive) [10/12]
Perception 1 [6]
Tactics 5 (Infantry) [10/12]
Camaraderie 5 (Recruitment) [10/12]
Persuasion 5 (Diplomacy) [10/12]
Command 5 (Oratory) [10/12]
Faith 5 (Cult) [10/12]

Positive Traits
(***) Inheritor
(**) Noble
(*) Rich
(*) Socially Connected

Negative Traits
(***) Interesting to Chaos
(*) Day Job
(*) Embarrassing Secret
(*) Fanatic
(*) Silver Spoon

Perks
None

Equipment
Daemonic Weapon (Imbued by Alekzandr)
  • Daemon Weapons are literally weapons that have a daemon bound into them. The weapon can and does telepathically communicate, but the real trick is that they provide a number of bonus dice to martial arts checks equal to their Force, do +3 damage in close combat, and are phasing.
Laspistol
  • Accuracy: 5 Recoil: 0 Type: Pistol Damage: 3 Range: 10 cm Ammunition: 2 Cost: 20
Power Armor
  • Power Armor is worn by all Space Marines, and is a powered suit that enhances the wearer's attributes and protects them in hazardous environments as well as in battle. Power Armor is also made for some normal humans of the Imperium, although they lack the implants required to take full advantage of the suit's benefits. All wearers of power armor get full environmental enclosure, communicators, flash guards, multi-spectrum vision, night vision, and image magnification systems. And it is quite impressive as armor, reducing incoming damage by 3 and providing 4 extra dice to soak damage.
Daemon Trap
  • A Daemon Trap is a device that interacts with the warp in such a way that any daemon sucked into it can't get out again until the trap is opened. The actual devices can look like anything from a puzzle box to a piece of coral, and have been made by countless cultures throughout the ages using wildly different techniques. Once a genie is in the lamp it can be communicated with telepathically but cannot use any of its other powers. It can be transferred to another device (this is how Daemonic Weapons are made by mortal hands), it can be bargained with, or it can be left there indefinitely.

Vox Caster
  • The Vox Caster is a strange and archaic device that allows one's voice to appear to emanate from a distant location using invisible waves and another vox caster. Two characters with vox casters can speak from virtually any distance.
Social interaction skills are usually stupid powerful before, after, and inside a combat, so Constantine is the Diplomancer of the Group. I swear on a stack of whatever literature you deem holy: I had a shadowrun game were the runners never fired a bullet, but still extracted a living target from the seattle space neetle in the middle of an interrupted corporate party, interrutped by a few pounds of C-12 in the bathroom, all because of a mundane elf socialite.

Anyhoo, this guy is also loaded, and probably inherited his position as the cult's lead Demagogue, and is probably a 3ed or 4th generation cultist (which is why he owns a Deamon Trap). His MO in combat is to shout Tactics and boost Initiative, Command and provide Faith resistance, and to do the mundane jedi mind trick to anyone he comes accross to put a positive spin on the cult's actions for all prospective members (which is everybody to this guy).
Last edited by Hicks on Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:59 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

First things first:
Koumei wrote:"WYSINWYG" has a minor error:
But mostly this is because is because
Fix'd. Also put in the opposed die roll rules. Can't believe I left them out. They were so clear in my mind you see. I even referenced them in some of the psych powers. Sorry about that.
Beyond that, a question: is it your intention that Stunning is a psychological effect? I can see the reasoning for it (for instance, it being an effect on the brain), but stunning is usually caused by entirely physical events (getting smacked in the head with a 2-by-4).
That's a holdover from when Psychology was the only condition type. Stunning should be non-psychological so that you can thunderhammer necrons.

-Username17
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

what with a 5 Strength minimum for all psykers for Drain tests
That is a problem.

I was thinking of making each Psyker choose whether to be a Wyrd, a Sorcerer, or a Seer. And that this choice would set their Drain resistance to:

Strength + Willpower (Wyrd)
Intelligence + Willpower (Sorcerer)
Awareness + Willpower (Seer)

That way, different psyker characters could focus on different stuff.

-Username17
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

That's a pretty good idea, given that those three types are presented as working moderately differently (while at the same time all being psykers).
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

I've been spending the last few days playing Dawn of War's Dark Crusade with an addon called Lights of the Warp, basically it gives some more units to each army (IG get the most, in terms of tank options; but really every army can get ridiculous) and raises the squad cap to 100 for each (Orks get a Pop of 200 instead; it seems a bit unbalanced, until you realize that Orks also have uncapped amounts of Flash Gitz. No more 2 squad limits on those guys; so an ork warboss attached to a nobz squad (which are capped at 2 squads; and Mega Orks are also still capped at 1) in front of 4+ flash gitz (that's about 28 'gitz running around) is able to run around on the field slowly being able to chew up anything without blasting ability; even single or paired dreadnoughts with support crumple under the hail of fire that flash gitz can produce.

I've pretty much done my Ork campaign, so I started up a chaos one since I want to see what the commander looks like in Demon Prince gear. I got my 1st conquest wargear and 3-1 kill ratio awards in the first attack, getting to 2k and 5k kills will actually take some time though, I still haven't cleared 1k kills after winning 5 territories.

So, as a result of this I'm thinking about some other characters to write up for Warp Cult.

Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Necromancy, because I just had to do it...

Lt. Horatiatus Abel

"Horatiatus, he was shot in the kill-zone, right between the eyes. Judging from the calibre and bullet shape, I think we're looking at a Kroot Longrifle."
"If they fired it in my city... Not long enough."
YEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!

I think nothing more need be said about this Arbiter.

S 2 A 3 C 2
D 3 I 3 W 3 E 3

Skills:
Athletics 1 [3]
Martial Arts 2 [4]

Firearms 3: Hell Pistol [6/8]
Pilot 2 [5]
Stealth 2 [5]

Logistics 5: Research [8/10]

Empathy 1 [4]
Investigation 4 [7]
Perception 3 [6]

Camaraderie 2 [4]

Command 1: Calm Emotions [4/6]
Faith 2 [5]
Intimidate 1 [4]

Traits:
+Certainty, +Brave, ++Arbites Veteran
-Day Job, -Distinctive Style, --Arbites Contact, ---Interesting to Khorne

Perks:
Quick Draw (can swap weapons out quickly, +1 Initiative)
Big Picture Thinking (may ignore nearby threats in combat)

Equipment:
Mesh-Equivalent (AV: 2, SV: 1)
Hell Pistol (Accuracy 8, Recoil 0, Pistol 10cm, Damage 3-7, Ammunition 10)
Auto Pistol (Accuracy 4, Recoil 1, Pistol 10cm, Damage 3-6, Ammunition 7)
Bolter for Special Occasions (Accuracy 2, Recoil 1, Rapid Fire 30cm, Damage 4-8, Ammunition 6)
Knife (CCW, +0)
Streamlined Photo-Visor (sunglasses, 6 hours, reduce flare/darkness penalties by 1)
Forensics Kit (+3 dice on Investigation tests when you have an idea what you're actually looking for)
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Oh fucking crap. You're going to create Horatio for the Dungeon Crusade game. fuckfuckfuckfuck. I hate you, die.

DragonChild
Knight-Baron

Post by DragonChild »

Giving this a bump to ask a few questions.

How does the damage scale on Warp Cult work in practice? I mean, I can read how it works, I'm interested in how it feels.

I've been wanting to do a quick and dirty dicepool game that involves guns, magic, etc, but I want to avoid super-high lethality, making sure people on both side can limp away wounded, run, or give up as desired. I also want to have combat rounds that last long enough PCs can get honest input in, and I want to be able to have guidelines for monsters and other creatures. Would swiping Warp Cult numbers work?
Niles
Apprentice

Post by Niles »

FrankTrollman wrote:Using Edge: A character can “spend” an Edge at any time to reroll the dice they have rolled that didn't come up hits. They can do this on any test they have rolled.
Can a someone more concerned with avoiding error than achieving success spend edge to reroll just the ones?
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Niles wrote:
FrankTrollman wrote:Using Edge: A character can “spend” an Edge at any time to reroll the dice they have rolled that didn't come up hits. They can do this on any test they have rolled.
Can a someone more concerned with avoiding error than achieving success spend edge to reroll just the ones?
It wouldn't normally come up, but sure. That could be done.

-Username17
Grek
Prince

Post by Grek »

Is this still being developed? I notice that a lot of the warp powers and some of the equipment is left blank.
Chamomile wrote:Grek is a national treasure.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Grek wrote:Is this still being developed? I notice that a lot of the warp powers and some of the equipment is left blank.
I am no longer working on projects that are "fanfics". Everything I am currently writing is unique IP, and those pieces of derivative work I am polishing from the desk are actually having IP scrubbed to become unique IP.

So my D&D work is going into a 10KF folder and Black Forest folder as seems more appropriate, my Shadowrun work is going into Frank Trollman's Cyberpunk Fantasy Heartbreaker, and so on.

I don't know what to do with Warp Cult.

-Username17
the_taken
Knight-Baron

Post by the_taken »

How about that setting I started on for 'Battles of the Star Angels and Space Devils'? It needs a much better title, and allot of fleshing out, but the setting was supposed to support shadow cults, corrupted corporations, mutants and psychic hi-jinks, and small squad tactical warfare... all underneath the feet of huge mecha fighting.
I had a signature here once but I've since lost it.

My current project: http://tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=56456
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

the_taken wrote:How about that setting I started on for 'Battles of the Star Angels and Space Devils'? It needs a much better title, and allot of fleshing out, but the setting was supposed to support shadow cults, corrupted corporations, mutants and psychic hi-jinks, and small squad tactical warfare... all underneath the feet of huge mecha fighting.
That could work. The Warp Cult combat system was based on a miniatures game, so it could plausibly scale up to marching mecha around on the battlefield.

-Username17
zeruslord
Knight-Baron

Post by zeruslord »

What is 10KF? the tgdmb google search only gives one other cryptic reference to the acronym.
Blicero
Duke

Post by Blicero »

zeruslord wrote:What is 10KF? the tgdmb google search only gives one other cryptic reference to the acronym.
It's a Kitchen Sink Fantasy Roleplaying Game. Sort of a D&D replacement that may use things like Winds of Fate or Abstract Locations. There hasn't really been anything coherent posted about it, I think.
Out beyond the hull, mucoid strings of non-baryonic matter streamed past like Christ's blood in the firmament.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

I currently want to use elements of this in my own Zcience-Phantasy H<3rtbreaker.

Specifically the parts about controlling a City.

I'm thinking influences ranging from L'Incal, and Metabarons with regards to "City Shafts", rival underground cults, legal/illegal mutant/aliens, supremely corrupt military-political, religious-industrial, and an evil cyber-brain controlling the police, as well as the day to day running of the city.

However, since this is for a post-apocalyptic version of Earth, applying a heavy Fallout-Wasteland coating; or a GrimDerp Warhams 40k coating is good at bringing the story in the proper direction.

Yes, it is a cyber-magic future city; but it's not Seattle of Shadowrun; it's the Mega-City One of Judge-Arbites Dredd, the Chi-Town of Rifts, the Autobot City 1 of Transformers the Movie, intersected with a Xombie Overun, an invasion of Cybermen-Modrons, and worse, Pod People, Vampires, Blood Cults, Witches, Golems, and other Adventurers stalk the land After Sundown.

So... inklings of Rifts; but closer to Warhammer 40k, and using Shadowrun/WoD/After Sundown style mechanics. Trying to use both heavy roleplaying focused systems (After Sundown), and tactical systems (Warp Cult/D&D)

OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Reviving this thread on account of the mechanics of this being used for that Fallout game.

Has anyone actually played a game using these mechanics yet?
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

On delaying actions, can i interrupt someone who has takenone action but still has one left?

Ex: i am in a hallway and delay. Badguy uses action to move, i then act and shoot him twice

A badguy uses aim, i then use two actions to move away from him so he has nothing to shoot
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

OgreBattle wrote:On delaying actions, can i interrupt someone who has takenone action but still has one left?
If you want to interrupt someone's turn, you need to do Overwatch. Delaying lets you take your full turn, but only after someone completes their turn.

-Username17
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

OgreBattle wrote:Has anyone actually played a game using these mechanics yet?
As far as I'm aware, they haven't specifically played Warp Cult, but the system is very similar to Shadowrun, which I think some people have played before?
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.