Making D&D morality less repulsive.

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

souran wrote:
The author wanted a world where good and evil are known quantiies (at least to some people.)
That's the other thing that really gets my goat about D&D morality, especially since it misses something really important that even mediocre authors like Frank Miller totally get. Just because your opponent is a rotten sack of crap doesn't mean that you're any better. At the very best all it can do is make atrocities like murder and torture not make you look any worse and this is if the only things you ever fight are literally manifestations of pure evil and cruelty and suffering.

D&D missed this memo somehow and it gives people the idea that killing hordes of ghouls and demons somehow makes you a good guy. Even if that saves tens of thousands of lives it doesn't in of itself suddenly make you a good guy, not even a flawed good guy.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
CapnTthePirateG
Duke

Post by CapnTthePirateG »

Not to mention that when you kill one creature, a whole bunch of others suffer. Just because you murderized one mind flayer for eating a child doesn't mean there isn't a little tadpole asking the elder brain why Daddy isn't home yet.
OgreBattle wrote:"And thus the denizens learned that hating Shadzar was the only thing they had in common, and with him gone they turned their venom upon each other"
-Sarpadian Empires, vol. I
Fuchs
Duke

Post by Fuchs »

CapnTthePirateG wrote:Not to mention that when you kill one creature, a whole bunch of others suffer. Just because you murderized one mind flayer for eating a child doesn't mean there isn't a little tadpole asking the elder brain why Daddy isn't home yet.
So? Acceptable losses.
Fuchs
Duke

Post by Fuchs »

Lago PARANOIA wrote: B2) Gleefully engage in the bloodfest. Your code is honor is mostly a mockery in the same way that the Punisher's is if you even bother to have one and in-game limits are mostly done for the sake of the players/DM who for some reason don't mind describing the slow roasting of mook #3 with a fireball won't stand for child slavery or rape for some silly reason. This has no moral dissonance in it, but it's done with the express knowledge that you have signed up to be a bastard. If you still want to be an unironic hero with modern sensibilities then let the buyer beware, that's not what the game is for.
That sounds like any country's moral code who has the death penalty and does engage in warfare. You kill enemies, kill ciminals, but don't rape or hurt children.

In short, B2 is what we do.
Blicero
Duke

Post by Blicero »

Just wanna second the suggestion for reading Bakker's books for a legitimately interesting way to handle D&D morality. They're brilliant.
Out beyond the hull, mucoid strings of non-baryonic matter streamed past like Christ's blood in the firmament.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

George Martin: the Others can't be reasoned with and are going to exterminate humanity unless held back.
I mentioned the difference between Orcs and the Others explicitly by name in my post. Come back when you have actually read your opponent's arguments.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Fuchs wrote: That sounds like any country's moral code who has the death penalty and does engage in warfare. You kill enemies, kill ciminals, but don't rape or hurt children.
This statement is so broad that it doesn't mean anything. It could just as easily apply to Shiny Fictional WWII-fapping Anticommunist Propaganda America or to an army of Killbots designed to murder anyone over 18.

EDIT: Actually, while Fuchs statement is broad I still think that it's illuminating because people actually try to exploit this broadness for their own ends. Like say, the Mafia. Sure, they kill a bunch of people and trash local economies and make shittier for everyone for petty profits, but at least they don't rape or hurt children. That's why I said that the Punisher's code of honor is a disgrace; it's a circus that's carefully orchestrated to distract you from the fact that they're very bad people.

But you know what? I personally fucking hate it when the comics try to come up with these justifications. Punisher: The End would've been an awesome comic if they didn't have to go out of their contrive everyone to be a total bastard. If instead of removing these moral roadblocks they just let the hero rash right through them it would've been one of the most chilling stories ever, instead it's more Dexter-ish coddling crap where apparently the audience can't just accept the fact that they're enjoying the exploits of a bad guy and need plot reassurances that their enjoyment isn't abnormal or creepy.

You know what's really sad and ironic though? Their desire to watch a protagonist slaughter a bunch of people in gory ways isn't what's creepy, but their desire to justify or rationalize or deny the desire is the creepy part.
Last edited by Lago PARANOIA on Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Fuchs
Duke

Post by Fuchs »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:
Fuchs wrote: That sounds like any country's moral code who has the death penalty and does engage in warfare. You kill enemies, kill ciminals, but don't rape or hurt children.
This statement is so broad that it doesn't mean anything. It could just as easily apply to Shiny Fictional WWII-fapping Anticommunist Propaganda America or to an army of Killbots designed to murder anyone over 18.
Yeah, and it's our moral code: We kill the enemy soldiers/criminals, spare the kids, and we feel good about it.

Seems you have a problem with the modern values too.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Again, that's a pointlessly broad code of honor. It applies just as equally to, say, the National Guard as it does to the Mafia but it also misses some very important differences.

- The National Guard doesn't just kill people, even if they really deserve it. They also maintain peace, security, and conduct lifesaving operations and emergency aid.
- The National Guard have a much stricter definition of criminals and enemies. They won't send a shooter to take out a guy who is irking them, even if said person is planning to propose legislation that will gut the organization.
- The National Guard doesn't conduct side crime operations. They don't deal drugs, they don't do a protection racket, they don't burglarize, etc.. not even for the benefit of people they serve.

We can go on, but I hope it's apparent that your statement is utter bullshit at the level it is right now. Not just because it misses so many bunch of things, but it's exactly the same kind of spin control other genuine bastards use in order to not appear as bad.

Fuchs
Duke

Post by Fuchs »

Look, you've got a problem with heroes in D&D killing orcs. Even if said orcs are raiders and spent their lives pilalging the civilized lands. Somehow you go from "kill the raiders" to "genocide!".

Heroes do save people, maintain the peace, and provide security for the commoners. They usually have a strict defintion of enemies as well - those who attack them, or plan to, or did in the past.
So, where's your problem with D&D morality? Can't have them killing orcs, why exactly?

Why would we need spin control to not feel bad about killing raiders, rapists and arsonists?
Last edited by Fuchs on Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gx1080
Knight-Baron

Post by Gx1080 »

There's a difference between detailed, proven-to-work procedures for warfare and military cockblocking "modern sensibilities" that nobody follows anyways.

If civilians hide the enemy army you have to kill them. Is more useful to torture someone to get valuable information than just killing him if you have to kill him anyways. And so on.

But that's a whole different rant.

Let me see in what I agree:

*Functional social solutions to problems. While the game shouldn't default to them because this is D&D, concepts like negotiation, diplomacy and espionage add depth to the game world.

*Less straight "Good" and "Evil" labels. The Law and Chaos scale works better, since it allows Gods who want to build a civilization while killing all the members of X race (that, of course, belong to a different god) to work without moral dissonance.

What I don't agree:

*Pure evil societies don't work. They DO work, on the simple model of "The strong/blessed by the Gods rule and the weak obey or else" is functional. Sociopathic, but functional. Bob will kill me if I disobey but I rule over Ed is a rough chain of command. With alliances and betrayals is a shifting one, at least on some level.

EDIT: *Defaulting the damage to non-lethal. That's weak and way too much coddling.

In short, what I suggest is to take a page from the grim darkness of the future and instead of "good" and "evil" gods, make gods of X race who have alliances with gods of Y race but are mortal enemies of gods of Z race. Ok, not exactly from the grim darkness of the future, but of it's Fantasy counterpart.

So, is basically a B2 world, just kept PG-13.
Last edited by Gx1080 on Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Fuchs wrote: Heroes do save people, maintain the peace, and provide security for the commoners. They usually have a strict defintion of enemies as well - those who attack them, or plan to, or did in the past.
...which applies just as much to Justice League of America as to the NKVD.

This is a downright pathetic code of heroism. You need to do better than that. Almost anyone can fulfill this laughably low standard of goodness.
Fuchs wrote: So, where's your problem with D&D morality? Can't have them killing orcs, why exactly?
Many, many problems. It's an ever-expanding fractal.

1. That these particular raiders, rapists, and arsonists deserve death. They might be under mind control by the Bog Witch and if you kill her instead you'll not only save the town's lives but their lives, too. This particular mook might have been faced with the choice of 'guard the doors to the kiddie harem or get charged with desertion and we kill your whole family'. And of course they could just be 'freedom fighters' that just happen to be dirty and uncouth, but they're still technically serving the interests of good. If your go-to response is to kill these people then sooner or later you're going to kill someone innocent. And if the body count is high enough it starts to really raise questions about just how heroic you are, especially when their deaths might have been able to be avoided with a little effort on your part.

2. The assumption that raiders, rapists, and arsonists deserve death. See discussions about the death penalty for more information, that's beyond the scope of this particular post, but do realize it's not exactly a settled issue.

3. That there's no better way to deal with raiders, rapists, and arsonists than killing. I cannot stress this enough, D&D world is a really shitty place where you're faced with the choice of letting orphans starve to death in the streets so you can upgrade to a +3 sword or having the city burned down in two months because without said sword you can't hurt the werewolf king. D&D needs a huge overhaul anyway to reduce this grimdarkness.

But even so, the number of killing-alternative solutions is still pretty broad. You can turn them all into harmless forest critters. You can roll hardcore on your diplomacy check and get them to turn themselves into the proper authorities. You can produce a Tree of Life along with a new lake in the middle of the desert to give the raiders some other source of food and water. You can put them all in a Mirror of Entrapment and turn them over to the proper authorities once the adventure is done. Whatever.

Yeah, when you're at the Mundane Sword Hero level you seriously don't really have much of a choice other than to sword bandits because you can't subdue them nonlethally and even if you could you don't have the time nor resources to watch them while you deliver news about a ghoul attack back to town. That sort of no-real-victory situation is appropriate when you're barely above dirt farmers and can actually be a dramatic impetus towards gaining power. But it's really telling that D&D's go-to solution for dealing with criminals is 'kill em all', especially at higher power levels.

4. That killing raiders, rapists, and arsonists will make things better off even if they deserve it. Easy example: desertion. Traditionally, the penalty for desertion was death, which of course quickly drove deserters past the criminal horizon in order to survive. Meaning that it's realistic that if you come across a band of deserters in the forest they've probably done death-worthy things.

HOWEVER if you actually want to make the world a better place you would seriously rescind the death penalty. Depending on how bad the problem is it might even seriously be best for you to forgive wholesale any deserters if you have the authority except for maybe the absolute worst ones. Yes, this will probably lead to hundreds if not thousands of murderers getting off scot-free but in the long run this will save lives because you're not forcing the 'kill or die' choice on everyone.

5. That killing raiders, rapists, and arsonists is enough to call yourself a hero. The whole Superman-ish 'I don't really do a lot with my vast powers except defend the status quo, which mostly entails fighting shocking if transient public issues everyone can agree on like crime' kind of works without painting him as a dick. This is mostly because the world that Superman lives in is pretty okay. I mean people do live to be a decent number of years old, there are hardly any lynch mobs, and most children get fed. Even though there's some serious discussion about whether Superman could really be doing even more with his powers like using his heat-vision to provide free energy or using knowledge from the Fortress of Solitude to cure more diseases, it's not as though there's any real pressing need.

The D&D world is not that kind of place. It's incredibly fucking shitty. If you as a super-powered wizard could build interdimensional castles with golem armies (a fair assumption in 3.0E D&D at least) and your rap sheet was mostly 'saved the world from immediate destruction several times, killed a bunch of criminals' then you're either incredibly retarded, incredibly limited in scope of power, or you're incredibly selfish. A real D&D hero-- not a phony sociopathic murdering hobo that masquerades as one--should be spending most of their time building aqueducts and researching disease cures and running agricultural colleges and writing philosophy treatises and organizing protests and all that shit.

Now there is an easy out of all this. It's that the D&D world would completely fall apart without your efforts, but demands so much of your attention that you cannot do anything other than adventuring and the world sucks so much that even with you building orphanages as fast as you can they get torn down so fast that even with you and hundreds of thousands' of others' vast cosmic power the best you can hope for is a stalemate consisting of a dirtfarm. That's incredibly, incredibly grimdark though; I think even Games Workshop would tell you to ease off of the angst a little bit.

But anyway, the point is that unless you go that far, you wanting to kill raiders, arsonists, and rapists is just mostly a distraction. Which is fine as long as the other 4 assumptions hold, but D&D structures its adventures and game mechanics so that your small-time crimefighting is your major way of being a 'hero'. Which also isn't bad in of itself, you could just justify it with the anthropic principle, but somewhere along the way someone forgot that 'oh yeah, small-time crimefighting isn't going to be enough to make me a hero' so focuses the gameplay overly on small-scale melee squad combat while also going out of its way to piss on alternate problem-solving mechanics. Because if someone decides to talk the orcs into not raiding the town anymore then they missed out on a fight!

Of course all of this goes away if you just look deep within and admit that what you really want to do is roleplay a selfish murderous hobo like Kratos or Caim. You can even give yourself a hypocritical and self-aggrandizing moral code like the Punisher; apparently bastards throwing up arbitrary standards to justify their bastardry is a lot more common and 'realistic' than people just embracing the bastard within.

CapnTthePirateG
Duke

Gx1080 wrote:There's a difference between detailed, proven-to-work procedures for warfare and military cockblocking "modern sensibilities" that nobody follows anyways.

If civilians hide the enemy army you have to kill them. Is more useful to torture someone to get valuable information than just killing him if you have to kill him anyways. And so on.

But that's a whole different rant.

Let me see in what I agree:

*Functional social solutions to problems. While the game shouldn't default to them because this is D&D, concepts like negotiation, diplomacy and espionage add depth to the game world.

*Less straight "Good" and "Evil" labels. The Law and Chaos scale works better, since it allows Gods who want to build a civilization while killing all the members of X race (that, of course, belong to a different god) to work without moral dissonance.

What I don't agree:

*Pure evil societies don't work. They DO work, on the simple model of "The strong/blessed by the Gods rule and the weak obey or else" is functional. Sociopathic, but functional. Bob will kill me if I disobey but I rule over Ed is a rough chain of command. With alliances and betrayals is a shifting one, at least on some level.

EDIT: *Defaulting the damage to non-lethal. That's weak and way too much coddling.

In short, what I suggest is to take a page from the grim darkness of the future and instead of "good" and "evil" gods, make gods of X race who have alliances with gods of Y race but are mortal enemies of gods of Z race. Ok, not exactly from the grim darkness of the future, but of it's Fantasy counterpart.

So, is basically a B2 world, just kept PG-13.
I'd prefer this, actually. It's a little hard to keep opening the damn books to see Corellon or whoever portrayed as SUPA GOOD so he can genocide the orcs & drow. Pretty sure I've got a thread out somewhere about it.
OgreBattle wrote:"And thus the denizens learned that hating Shadzar was the only thing they had in common, and with him gone they turned their venom upon each other"
Gx1080
Knight-Baron

Post by Gx1080 »

Lago PARANOIA wrote: Of course all of this goes away if you just look deep within and admit that what you really want to do is roleplay a selfish murderous hobo like Kratos or Caim. You can even give yourself a hypocritical and self-aggrandizing moral code like the Punisher; apparently bastards throwing up arbitrary standards to justify their bastardry is a lot more common and 'realistic' than people just embracing the bastard within.
Well, DUH! That's how human beings work. People NEED a degree of self-deception to be able to function. That's the price fo self-awareness.

Overall, this is a long dicussion with a simple solution. If "Good" and "Evil" labels don't work because everybody is a dick in a degree or other, get rid of them. Problem solved.

That's the short version of what I wrote on my comment above.
Fuchs
Duke

Post by Fuchs »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:
Of course all of this goes away if you just look deep within and admit that what you really want to do is roleplay a selfish murderous hobo like Kratos or Caim. You can even give yourself a hypocritical and self-aggrandizing moral code like the Punisher; apparently bastards throwing up arbitrary standards to justify their bastardry is a lot more common and 'realistic' than people just embracing the bastard within.
When I roleplay I don't want to play "me with my modern morals in a fantasy world". I want to play a character in a fantasy world, with different morals and codes.

I only pointed out that your issues with D&D morals are also issues with the USA as a whole. You lament letting kids starve so you can defend the town? Hey, sounds familiar, like the budget debate, defense versus education. Curing the poor as a cleric, or saving the juice to kill evil demons? Or is that "making sure everyone has health insruance, or making sure the military-industrial complex is well fed"?

Really, what you say is "I hate that D&D is so close to the US". Nothing wrong with that.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Fuch wrote: When I roleplay I don't want to play "me with my modern morals in a fantasy world". I want to play a character in a fantasy world, with different morals and codes.
I wonder why FATAL gets slammed so hard then? I mean, that's what actual pre-industrial society badasses are like: raping, racist, misogynistic, slave-owning, teen-pregnancy causing selfish assholes concerned with being kings of the dungheap. So why does D&D get a pass but not FATAL if the second is more potentially immersive? I mean, shit, D&D heroes are even more politically correct than Shadowrun heroes (which takes place in the future to boot) except for one or two things. That's the Rubber Forehead Alien of 'exploring a different moral and code system' and I demand that if this is the reason why D&D morality is fucked up that they go whole hog rather than giving us the theme park version.

Gx1080
Knight-Baron

Post by Gx1080 »

Because FATAL is really, really poorly written, has way too stupid mechanics and it doesn't reflect history, fantasy or even logic AT ALL.

That's obvious.

And that's a huge strawman. And to counter with an assumption, you seem butthurt because you were called on your patronizing, annoyingly politically correct, non-realistic views.

But then, I have since long stopped expecting anything different from nerdy communities.
CapnTthePirateG
Duke

I'm going to try to support Lago here. Ignoring the death penalty stuff...

Most of the adventures/WoTC book assume that the PCs don't take slaves, rape, and steal from random NPCs. This kinda strikes me as modern morality in DnDland. And honestly, I'm not really sure even the most dedicated roleplayer wants to play a crazy slaver dude who rapes his captives, because I think we can all agree that shit is wrong.

Also, the game needs, as Lago said, to fix the "McMurder needs a new sword, no orphanage for you" bullshit which is holding back the setting as an inherently shitty place.

But honestly, IMO the game should stay out of morality and leave it to the players & DM.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Gx1080 wrote:Because FATAL is really, really poorly written, has way too stupid mechanics and it doesn't reflect history, fantasy or even logic AT ALL.
C'mon, don't be coy now. You know that the real reason why FATAL got a extra heaping helping of hatred above and beyond that other other inaccurate, illogical, badly written fantasy heartbreakers was precisely for the perverse sexual and gender viewpoints of the authors. But in all honesty someone with vast amounts of power living in a broken world should act more like a FATAL character than a shiny D&D hero. Considering the, you know, historical and mythological examples.

Even if FATAL was a piece of shit, how come no one has seriously actually made a TTRPG that goes whole hog in exploring this mindset except for the fringe of fringes? Even WH40K is done as a huge honkin' parody. Could it actually be because a lot of people don't actually want to be Type B2 antiheroes but they just accept it and gloss over it because the game keeps telling them that they're Real True Heroes And Don't You Forget It non-ironic heroes?

I'm not saying that there isn't a market for playing Murderous Hobo Sociopaths with an ineffable or convoluted belief system. Lord knows I loved God of War and if someone gave me the chance to play Antiheroes Inc. I would give it a try. I'm just saying that there should be an alternative as far as D&D is concerned. And I mean a real alternative, not the two-faced doublethink fake option D&D has been pushing on us for several decades.

quanta
Journeyman

Post by quanta »

I only pointed out that your issues with D&D morals are also issues with the USA as a whole. You lament letting kids starve so you can defend the town? Hey, sounds familiar, like the budget debate, defense versus education. Curing the poor as a cleric, or saving the juice to kill evil demons? Or is that "making sure everyone has health insruance, or making sure the military-industrial complex is well fed"?
Nah, the U.S. actions have seriously become worse than that. U.S. spending is even more dedicated to handing out shit to old people than it is to military spending. It's more like if Bob the Cleric could be building schools, orphanages, and curing terrible childhood diseases and instead decided to spend all his slots on remove disease to cure old people of cancer so they'll live two more years before dying of old age. Oh, and Bob the Cleric also routinely takes 10% of everyone's dirt from dirt farming as payment for curing people of cancer when they eventually hit 60-something.

Oh, and Bob the Cleric routinely makes incursions into the villages south of his to depose the village council.

Yeah basically, Bob the U.S. cleric is a step down from Bob the obsessive demon-hunting cleric.
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

Nah, the U.S. actions have seriously become worse than that. U.S. spending is even more dedicated to handing out shit to old people than it is to military spending. It's more like if Bob the Cleric could be building schools, orphanages, and curing terrible childhood diseases and instead decided to spend all his slots on remove disease to cure old people of cancer so they'll live two more years before dying of old age. Oh, and Bob the Cleric also routinely takes 10% of everyone's dirt from dirt farming as payment for curing people of cancer when they eventually hit 60-something.

Oh, and Bob the Cleric routinely makes incursions into the villages south of his to depose the village council.

Yeah basically, Bob the U.S. cleric is a step down from Bob the obsessive demon-hunting cleric.
I can already see this ending well
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Chamomile wrote:Ant, what do we do about Psychic Robot?
You do not seem to do anything.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Fuchs wrote:Somehow you go from "kill the raiders" to "genocide!".
Orcs get the shit lot in life. They spend so much time living in caves that the sun is uncomfortable enough as to dazzle them, but not so deep in caves that they have standing societies like the drow. They have to come out and live off the land, where humans claim everything they come across that can't fight them back (see: European colonialism. D&D land is full plate human knights and longbow elven archers vs big orcs with sticks, the slaughter is comparable).

You are implying that "raider" means "I could have a perfectly viable life that feeds my family. And I could do it by going out and starting a farm. And everybody would be happy. But instead, I'm going to stab somebody and take their turnips." The logical reality of D&D is that "raider" means "I'm hungry and we have no land to feed ourselves."

Now, this isn't universally true; when it becomes an element of the culture, people stop considering it 'wrong,' and raiding just becomes a thing. But the fact remains is that the reason they're raiding is that's the only way their culture has to support itself. And that doesn't make them wrong, it means they have been driven into the shadows of the world and are clinging to existence by raiding the cultures a lot more fortunate than they are. And you can change this fairly easily; give orcs a standing society, blend orcs into society so they aren't outcasts, etc, etc.

And you can go the 'orcs are genetically evil' route, making all of this moot because even if you gave them a chance to adopt a different culture they'd go right back to being murderous nuisances, but orcs are not in the realm of freakish aberrations/outsiders/whatever anymore, they are seriously humanized in the fiction, and doing this is... Kind of creepy. And the only reason you have to do this is to feel better about stabbing them in the face, and that hardly seems necessarily because I think everybody is comfortable with the idea that war necessitates the killing of average Joe's (except Lago, who wants every attack to do nonlethal damage by default or something super-lame).

Cons: So, how comfortable are you with eugenics?
Pros: No need to feel bad for that orc's kids. They're all evil incarnate anyway.

The pro is pretty much non-existent to me; I'm comfortable with the fact that violence has victims on the side. Even the worst people on earth can have kids and be decent parents. The cons are huge; eugenics is super-creepy. The idea that the key to solving the orc problem is to make sure there are never any more orcs, ever, at all, is not something you want. You can pull it off with aberrations and alien outsiders and sub-human intelligences like dangerous animals/magical beasts. But things like orcs are a little too human anymore; the fiction has evolved. And people are going to bring their feelings from other fiction into your's.
Gx1080
Knight-Baron

Post by Gx1080 »

Depends of your definition of "ending well". 10 to 1 bets of a thread lock?

Before that happens:

CapnThePirateG is mostly right. The issue of Good vs. Evil and morality is better left to players and the DM. That's why I proposed my idea of cutting it from the mechanics all together, together with some adjustments to increase depth. Law and Chaos actually works, so is in.

And quoting from the Internet: "That's a lot of words to dance around the fact that people want to hurt those who they dislike". Specially if there's good reasons for disliking them.

Basically, if I'm Joe Dirt Farmer and some Orcs raid my village, fuck yeah I want to kill Orcs. That doesn't make me the "evil slave owner rapist" strawman that Lago is pushing.
Last edited by Gx1080 on Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
wotmaniac
Knight-Baron

Post by wotmaniac »

I know that this isn't the first time this sentiment has been expressed, but I just can't help myself ....

This whole thing is very simple and basic --
The basic concept of D&D is that it is a game about killing shit in the epic struggle of good vs. evil. Alignment is simply a basic game conceit to help facilitate that narrative. Whether or not you happen to agree with the particulars is irrelevant. If you want a tragic heartbreaker, know that D&D is not that game -- mix the 2 at your own risk. (that's not to say that you can't mix the 2; it's just that the game wasn't designed that way)
By point of comparison: Monopoly. In Monopoly, you can go to jail; and there are 2 ways that you can end up in jail, as well as 2 ways to get out. There's not even any narrative about why you go to jail -- it's just a basic element of the game. However, let's look at how you get out of jail -- rolling a double or paying your $50. If we had to attach a narrative to that, we could say that paying the $50 is just that -- paying your fine --, and we could equate rolling a double with early release for good behavior (what that says about how you get there is a different story .... but whatever). Now, IRL, people break out of jail; but, yet, there is no mechanic to simulate that. Why? Well, because that level of minutia is irrelevant to the overall game.

As flawed as that comparison may be, there is actually a point: whenever you try to extract depth that isn't there, whenever you try to pretend that the game is deeper than it is (or should be), you're gonna run in to problems.

D&D is not the vehicle for exploring deep philosophical quandaries; and trying to apply moral relativism to anything will cause the discussion to break down.

Solution: accept things for what they are, get over it, and just play the game.

Upon deeper preponderance, the world is a much different place than it was 30 years ago when this game was first conceptualized. Back in "the day", absolutism and the concept of inherently evil societies/cultures/etc. was a much easier pill to swallow. For better or for worse, today's society (and by extension, its gamers) finds it harder and harder to accept these concepts; as a result, we seem to have found these concepts to be less and less acceptable in our games. But that's just it -- they're games, and are meant to be taken only on their face value. If you want to devise your own system of morals and ethics to be used in the game, then that's fine; but just know that you are playing a different game at that point.
Last edited by wotmaniac on Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

DSMatticus wrote:And the only reason you have to do this is to feel better about stabbing them in the face, and that hardly seems necessarily because I think everybody is comfortable with the idea that war necessitates the killing of average Joe's (except Lago, who wants every attack to do nonlethal damage by default or something super-lame).
Err, why is that lame exactly?

People say that it's unrealistic for someone to beat up thousands of guys without killing anyone accidentally. That's true to some extent, especially in the Iron Age. It massively strains disbelief after enough power cycle iterations. Yeah, you're a legendary axeguy who can axe so hard that it causes earthquakes or so precisely that you can give The Atom an armpit shave. but you can't check your blows? Or even though you can swim through red-hot lava, an extra 10 psi to your neck is all that's needed to take you from incapacitated-but-alive to dead? Give me a break.

Moreover, the problem remains that too much killing taints your victories even if it was justified. Yeah, you did save the city from demonic possession, but did you really need to kill those 100 demon-possessed guards on the way to the throne room? If the DM throws enough plot contrivances in the way and you rationalize it enough you might get away with it, but just the fact that you had to question what you did at all is going to leave a stain on your record. Which might be fine enough for a game mechanic, but I thought that you were trying to avoid that kind of moral reflection? The only other alternative is just to put on your happy face and not think about what kind of story you're telling, which is really shallow.

I agree that it's a little bit too pat of a mechanic when applied universally and does undercut the seriousness of the situation. Because of this, it should be a mark of graduation to something better, about when you pass from the realm of mortal swordsman or undergraduate magician to 'someone who can make a difference', but it still needs to happen to some extent. When you're level 1 and regularly engaging in squad-level close range combat, killing is pretty much unavoidable. But that should be an obstacle you can voluntarily bypass by level 3 or so, when you start heading for Batman level and beyond.