4e failed design goals

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Dog Quixote
1st Level

Post by Dog Quixote »

echoVanguard wrote: It seems to me that from a design standpoint there's a bit of a catch-22 here. If you make player powers inferior to environmental attacks, people will complain that their class abilities are boring and useless, but if you do the opposite, you get the argument we've outlined - and if you implement a system which makes each effect more or less powerful at different times, people will complain that your system is too complex.

echo
One thing I'd considered is the possibility that you don't need much in the way of class abilities, you just need the ability to be able to do something cool. If for example a fighter simply has the ability "Feat of Strength", then you might be able to use that power in various ways. You could have the default action of using it to add damage to an attack, or you could use it more effectively to interact with the terrain - use "Feat of Strength to activate the "Knock a Statue over" terrain power. - So in effect the powers available to a Martial character may change each combat depending on the terrain. (Which immediately makes combats more cinematic - if the GM puts a statue on the battlefield it's going to be pushed over by the Barbarian, if there's a tapestry hanging from the wall, it will end up being thrown over someone's head by the rogue.)

It seems to me that if you're going to have phyiscal representations of the battlefield. then you want to get the most out of them. If there's a table on a battlemat, then it ought to be turned over or pushed into someone. If it's actually visibly there, it feels unsatisfactory just to treat it as difficult terrain.
Last edited by Dog Quixote on Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

DQ wrote:By chassis I meant the rules that exist prior to either powers or character classes. I think the whole way powers were designed is a mistake.

Rules for moving, knocking prone, dazing etc. Standard, move, minor actions etc. Even immediate actions I think are fine (as long as they're rare. If you had to spend an action point to use them they'd be fine).
4E status effects suck. They're a big contributer to the HDA and need to be stripped and rebuilt from the ground up. Unfortunately that means auditing all of the powers. Standard/Move/Minor actions is not an innovation of 4E D&D, it's not even an innovation relative to the edition.

The whole point of immediate actions was to create a screwjob for multiple interrupts and to allow them to interact with opportunity actions so that defenders don't feel worthless. If you made then rarer than they are you may as well take them out of the game.
One of the things that 4E does well is that it creates mobile combats.
1.) Compared to what? Depending on how you look at it 4E is more mobile than 3E (unless we're talking about archery duels or wizard sniping or whatever) but this ain't exactly an accomplishment. Mutants and Masterminds has an extremely flexible and mobile targeting and tactical positioning system, way more than 4E can ever hope to accomplish; doesn't stop it from being boring.

2.) Mobile combat only matters if it changes the tactical situation. And while it's not a complete failure on this account (zones powers, ZoC, etc.) like the M&M example it doesn't build up to anything interesting. These kinds of things, especially at higher level, just don't mean as much compared to the aggregate effect of powers.

So... what's left? You get to push around your tokens moderately more often around the battlefield than in 3rd Edition D&D, but not much more than in 2E D&D? Please.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Dog Quixote
1st Level

Post by Dog Quixote »

Lago PARANOIA wrote: The whole point of immediate actions was to create a screwjob for multiple interrupts and to allow them to interact with opportunity actions so that defenders don't feel worthless. If you made then rarer than they are you may as well take them out of the game.
Actually I wasn't thinking of immediate actions that are part of defenders doing their jobs. They're really not the problem. The problem with immediates is all the extra interrupts that can be reliably triggered from items and powers.
Verbannon
1st Level

Post by Verbannon »

Sorry, I lagged and triple posted.
Last edited by Verbannon on Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Verbannon
1st Level

Post by Verbannon »

Double post. Sorry.
Last edited by Verbannon on Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Verbannon
1st Level

Post by Verbannon »

Verb, you're hedging your statements more and more. Before you were saying 4e had much better development in character power and terrain and tactical options, now you're down to saying that the character development is probably about the same as 3.5 and the terrain rules are comparable, and that the tactical options are hit and miss, which, unsurprisingly, is just about as good as 3.5. I'm also one who thinks that 4e had some good ideas, but they weren't implemented well. You are adept at 4e, which is great, and so you can get it to do all kinds of things for you and be fun, but while it's strengths and weaknesses are different than 3.5's, it is not a uniform step forward in any sense. There are mechanics that seem like good ideas in a vacuum, but all together they don't work as well as the designers, nor the players, were hoping.
You are making a strawman. I'm not hedging anything.
I said when it comes to tactics and cinematics 4e>3.5 after someone said it was the other way around.

They pointed to 3.5's terrain, saying 4e had no terrain, just powers.

I pointed out 4e has terrain that is at least just as good as 3.5.

And I have never, over, ever, ever said 4e's character development is as good as 3.5's. 4e has better character development, that is all I've said. And I've said the terrain rules are comparable, some good, some not.

Let me show you the fallacy of your post.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nirvana_fallacy

You can't ever get a uniform step forward, just try to get a majority step forward.

Errata Onslaught
Goal: Unlike in 3E where we had things like Pun-Pun and the peasant cannon get made fun of for years and not get fixed, we'll immediately issue a rules patch in order to fix broken stuff.
Unintended Result: Many. The biggest problem is that the errata is excessively. I don't know what it is right now, but last I checked it was 100 pages. That's fucking ridiculous. They can get away with it to an extent due to the character builder and online Dragon, but as long as they have a dead tree edition of the game this is seriously moving into ripping-off-the-customer territory.

The other problem is that the errata is not applied to A) genuinely game-derailing stuff that B) will probably be discovered by the group. Wizard saving throw penalty douchebaggery did need to be errata'd. Blade Cascade needed an errata. Pray For More + Vorpal Weapon + Demigod is an infinite damage loop but it seriously was not worth the space to close since it is a level 30 damage loop. It only needed a fix the same way that Pun Pun did, that is only to shut people up. Even if something was seriously 'broken' they went way overboard. Yeah, Come And Get It (Fighter 7) used a non-standard effect and had a couple of exploits to it, but the exploits were minor when viewed from the whole of combat. It's not worth the space to fix it. Making things significantly worse is that errata is almost (95% of the time) never done in a way to create equal-but-balanced functionality, it's always done just to snip the balls off like naughty poodles. I have seen people, including myself, ragequit over the game because it killed off builds. They've gotten 'better' at this such that only 10 builds were killed off this year, but seriously, getting your panties in a twist because someone is doing an extra 10 damage a round? Please.

At least you won't have to buy a 4.5 that is still messed up down the road. And personally, I find the way its organized to be easy enough to keep track of. Not like you need to care whats in it until it becomes relevant anyway.

I can't really give an opinion on the overnerfing, I have yet to have any of my builds killed off. But it could be a problem, I wouldn't doubt it.

Making every power do damage.
Thats really a matter of opinion. Personally, I absolutely loathe 100% save or die situations. 4e has managed to reduce mostly all similar situations, mostly through lengthened battles, and I think thats a good thing imo. Its especially good to strategy. Maintaining a flank is enough to reliably turn a battle even if you aren't a rogue.

No self-buffs.
Huh? There are a lot of abilities that buff only the user and nothing else. I don't understand.

Anyone who used the trap rules for this effect is either a moron, a Monty Hauler, or a Gygaxian asshat who doesn't intend to play fair because you get experience points for overcoming traps. Yes, seriously.
This is true, its a hazard not a trap I would think.
Well they're there. But they're relegation to an afterthought does tell us something about the system. 4E tactically is about building an effective character, choosing powers and feats and magic items to this effect and then finding the most effective ways to use these abilities. A good DM will vary monster tactics and terrain to increase the potential uses for the powers the PC has so fights are a bit more varied, but the game doesn't encourage or reward thinking outside the box. It's disappointing when you get a new player at the table who wants to try all kinds of cool and inventive (and cinematic things) and you have to tell them to use their At-Wills because their ineffectiveness is hurting the party.
I don't see why you think its an afterthought. All but the terrain powers was in the DMG. And the DMG2 mostly just expounded on principles laid out in the DMG.

It's a game that encourages and rewards system mastery and this is necessarily going to limit it's appeal. It's not really particularly cinematic. Pushing a statue over on a villian, or knocking over a cauldron full of boiling liquid on some mooks (Like in the Conan movie) are cinematic things. Sure you can do these things in 4E, but the times when they're actually the tactically most effective actions are vanishly rare. Instead you use 'Attacks on the Run' or 'Rain of Steel' or 'Twin Strike' but any cinematic aspect to these actions comes from the player's description, not the powers. Some powers are different enough that they invite a cinematic description (such as Come and Get It.) But I find they're repetition diminishes them over time. (If you use Come and Get It every combat then it's going to become predictable and less interesting - and even if you continue to describe how you use it every time, the chances are that everyone else will stop listening.)
The flavor text is an example description of how you could describe it, as stated in the DMG, thats one of the big reasons its more cinematic, especially from a player's point of view. You are free to describe your action however you want it and a damn rule lawyer can't complain. And the powers are varied enough that I generally don't get bored. But I suppose this is a matter of opinion, I just know I found myself unable to feel cinematic in 3.5.

Anyway unrelated point, Using the knock something big over over terrain power, you do 1d10+half level damage and knock the enemy prone. Half damage on a miss. Its better then most at wills. But this is just a quibble.
The immediate interrupt/reaction system is an unnecessary layer of complication. And it needs to go. Seriously, everything should be an opportunity action. Yes, that means that people will be able to do multiple Combat Challenge reprisals or whatever in a round. Either put a limit in that class ability or just fucken deal with it.
Thats a matter of opinion. Immediate interrupt/reaction is good for the tactical health of the game, and allows for a lot more variety in powers without hurting balance.
The health/damage assymmetry is just unacceptable. From a practicality standpoint. I am skeptical of any system that has hit points in the double digits, reaching four digits is simply madness. While players aren't exactly good at it, repeated single or low-double digit subtraction/addition is easier than a single high double-digit or triple-digit subtraction.
High HP is good for strategy though. You got two guys in single digits wailing away at each other, gaining a 10% increase in accuracy doesn't mean much when its going to just come down to 2-3 hits. Wins and losses become luck based.

When you got high hp, and things take a lot of turns, suddenly that +2 bonus looks, really, really good and creates a much bigger difference over the time, effectively reducing luck in the equation.

As for the immersion, I haven't noticed any problems like what you described. I mean, if I was a spectator watching a fight between PCs and NPCs, I wouldn't notice anything odd.
An unprecedented amount of gameplay/story segregation
Well the example you gave isn't true. According to the DMG2, if you used an encounter to push that dragon, then it gives you a bonus to pushing that pillar, if you used a daily, then you automatically succeed in pushing that pillar.

As for the warlord thing, thats just common sense. When something says "all allies" and you join a battle with hundreds of troops, it would seem really silly for the soldiers way across the battlefield to be motivated by their warlord when they can't even see him or hear him over the fight. SAme goes for Paladins, wizards and everything else that has powers that says "all allies".
The PC/NPC magical item separation
There are no/low magic item rules. You just get the bonuses as you level rather then from the items.
The vast shortening of effects.
The alternative is making effects able to insta win a fight. I like it like it is, but thats just me. I understand a lot of people prefer a greater level of uncertainty.
Too many status effects that don't make the enemy easier to kill.
I suppose this is a matter of opinion as well. I personally like a fight that when its done I look at the clock and go "Wow, did I really just spend an hour in the fight?"

But I suppose that is a matter of opinion.
One thing I'd considered is the possibility that you don't need much in the way of class abilities, you just need the ability to be able to do something cool. If for example a fighter simply has the ability "Feat of Strength", then you might be able to use that power in various ways. You could have the default action of using it to add damage to an attack, or you could use it more effectively to interact with the terrain - use "Feat of Strength to activate the "Knock a Statue over" terrain power. - So in effect the powers available to a Martial character may change each combat depending on the terrain. (Which immediately makes combats more cinematic - if the GM puts a statue on the battlefield it's going to be pushed over by the Barbarian, if there's a tapestry hanging from the wall, it will end up being thrown over someone's head by the rogue.)

It seems to me that if you're going to have phyiscal representations of the battlefield. then you want to get the most out of them. If there's a table on a battlemat, then it ought to be turned over or pushed into someone. If it's actually visibly there, it feels unsatisfactory just to treat it as difficult terrain.

I'm just imagining all the fights that take place in rather dull terrains. Or when the terrain manipulation has been exhausted. Sometimes you get attacked by bandits on a road.

4E status effects suck.
They have a huge tactical impact. What more could you want?
Mobile combat only matters if it changes the tactical situation.
I suppose thats a matter of skill. I've got a reputation for killing off the parties I DM in 4e. And he deaths almost wholly come from me moving the monsters around in the most tactically advantageous ways.
Actually I wasn't thinking of immediate actions that are part of defenders doing their jobs. They're really not the problem. The problem with immediates is all the extra interrupts that can be reliably triggered from items and powers.
They aren't supposed to stack either.
Last edited by Verbannon on Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Verbannon
1st Level

Post by Verbannon »

If the amount of posts I need to respond to keep increasing, I'll reach the max word limit.
TheFlatline
Prince

Post by TheFlatline »

Verbannon wrote:
I don't see how you can compare 4E with any other TTRPG period. It's changed so wildly, so vastly, and so quickly over the life of it's "edition", that entire builds have sprung up, thrived, and been literally killed off and made invalid simply through the errata issued. And I'm not talking builds which use strange interpretations of errata. I'm talking about fundamental system changes that introduced new systems and then eliminated them entirely. Which means that any discussion of 4E vs whatever has to be insanely selective about where in time you're culling 4E from, what's been errata'd and what hasn't.
Thats a slight exaggeration. Most of he errata is just grammar fixes and clarifications, some more are balance fixes usually to specific powers and items.

The biggest change done was to wizards and magic missile.
And that whole "errata every single monster in Monster Manual 1" math formula thing.

And if memory serves skill challenges have been re-written several times.

My point is holy shit they have fucked with the rules. My RAW set of core books that I have sitting on my shelf is not the same game as the current state of 4th ed. In fact, 1/3 of the core books in the slipcase are 100% wrong if I play via errata.
Considering that points 1, 3, and 4 are all title neutral and dependent on enthusiastic players/GMs, you're left with stating that 4E provides more tactically relevant options than 3E, or even other RPGs in general.
3 and 4 are. 1 is at least partially mechanics dependent.
Your definition of cinematic combat was limp and bullshit and arbitrary. Especially the pendulum bullshit.

Cinematic means "characteristic of cinema" which within the realm of combat tends to mean exciting, kinetic, visual sequences.

"I use tide of iron, I hit, I push him one square" is about as cinematic as "I attack with my longsword". A cinematic combat involves player participation, a DM who's willing to say "yes" to crazy ideas, and some good description. Those are all mechanics neutral.
Last edited by TheFlatline on Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

TheFlatline wrote:"I use tide of iron, I hit, I push him one square" is about as cinematic as "I attack with my longsword". A cinematic combat involves player participation, a DM who's willing to say "yes" to crazy ideas, and some good description. Those are all mechanics neutral.
"Cinematic combat" may in fact be a two edged sword for most role playing games. There's a simple reason for this, cinema doesn't happen; it has to be set up. The handy curtain you use to descend from the balcony instead of the stairs, the large candle stand or the table you conveniently use as a shield and generally placed in a scene just so it can be used at that moment because the entire combat is scripted to that level of detail. Even the pipe dream notions of the original promoters of 4E which talked about it in terms of the ability to use "dynamic terrain" (a feature which is actually not in 4E, but hey it's not like the writers actually wrote the game ... oh crap ... they did) in which the very terrain is in movement is not something that's easy to set up.

Of course the fact that the results is just slightly better than a chess match (Knight to Kings Bishop 3, King and Rook en Passant, Bishop takes Rook - Check and Mate) doesn't help the case any.

4E is a lot like the farting cow; promises promises; I want manure now!
Winnah
Duke

Post by Winnah »

Verbannon wrote:And I have never, over, ever, ever said 4e's character development is as good as 3.5's. 4e has better character development, that is all I've said. And I've said the terrain rules are comparable, some good, some not.
You have said that 4e has better character development. You have not exlpained why...At least not to my satisfaction. If this is a matter of opinion, so be it. Otherwise, I would appreciate some extrapolation in this point.
At least you won't have to buy a 4.5 that is still messed up down the road. And personally, I find the way its organized to be easy enough to keep track of. Not like you need to care whats in it until it becomes relevant anyway.
But I will not be buying any more 4e products. The ones I own are useless. The last 4e game I tried to run wass bogged down at chargen, with DDI subscribers and I trying to establish what errata was in effect.

Sure, I could have just run a game using my books, but then people would have been shitty because they were paying for a useless subssciption to DDI. As I refuse to pay an ongoing fee for game support this is an issue. Plus there is literally no room on my table for a laptop, maps, minis, dice and sheets for a half dozen players, even if I wanted to renew my sub.

I'm sure as fuck not buying any more books. I have already been burned.

Thats really a matter of opinion. Personally, I absolutely loathe 100% save or die situations. 4e has managed to reduce mostly all similar situations, mostly through lengthened battles, and I think thats a good thing imo. Its especially good to strategy. Maintaining a flank is enough to reliably turn a battle even if you aren't a rogue.
You need to find and read the '4e lacks tactical depth' thread. It's kind of pertinent as 4e lacks tactical depth. Also, strategy does not mean what you think it means.
Thats a matter of opinion. Immediate interrupt/reaction is good for the tactical health of the game, and allows for a lot more variety in powers without hurting balance.
Can you explain why 4e is balanced compared to other games? I would really like someone to give me a definition here. I see 'balanced' being bandied about like a some buzzword, but I have no fucking clue what people are talking about.
High HP is good for strategy though. You got two guys in single digits wailing away at each other, gaining a 10% increase in accuracy doesn't mean much when its going to just come down to 2-3 hits. Wins and losses become luck based.

When you got high hp, and things take a lot of turns, suddenly that +2 bonus looks, really, really good and creates a much bigger difference over the time, effectively reducing luck in the equation.
No. Good strategy leads to fast resolutions with minimal costs (in principle). The padded sumo effect does not contribute to my gaming experience. At all.
There are no/low magic item rules. You just get the bonuses as you level rather then from the items.
Lame. I want my magic sword damnit. This is D&D.
I suppose this is a matter of opinion as well. I personally like a fight that when its done I look at the clock and go "Wow, did I really just spend an hour in the fight?"
Wow, did i just spend 10 minutes writing a reply?

I like games to progress quickly. 1 hour is fine for a drawn out fight against a powerul enemy. When the party is cutting down goblins anything longer than 15 minutes is inexcusable.
4E status effects suck.
They have a huge tactical impact. What more could you want?
Can you explain this. What do you mean by huge tactical impact? Can you provide some examples please?
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE ?

Didjer momma drop you on the head repeatedly as an infant or a did you learn to be a posse of mouthbreathing masochists in idiot school?

Because those are far and away the two most reasonable explanations for bothering to reignite yet another edition war with yet another crop of new registrants.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Doom
Duke

Post by Doom »

Indeed, especially with a game that's basically dead. I mean, we may as well be arguing the finer points of wicked googlies in cricket.
Kaelik, to Tzor wrote: And you aren't shot in the face?
Frank Trollman wrote:A government is also immortal ...On the plus side, once the United Kingdom is no longer united, the United States of America will be the oldest country in the world. USA!
Verbannon
1st Level

Post by Verbannon »

And that whole "errata every single monster in Monster Manual 1" math formula thing.
Its not an errata, the people who say that are just fear mongering. its a simplification for essentials, all the original monsters are still valid and not obsolete.
And if memory serves skill challenges have been re-written several times.
Only once, reducing the DCs and number of failures needed before loss.

Other then that not much really was done, going through all the errata for the Dungeon Masters Guides, the only rules that were really changed other then the skill challenges were mount rules, expanding on them because people thought they were far too limited.

Beyond that, and power rebalances, its all just dribble about clarifications, typo fixes, spelling fixes, grammar fixes and sometimes they'll change a single word like crashing to falling.
Your definition of cinematic combat was limp and bullshit and arbitrary. Especially the pendulum bullshit.

Cinematic means "characteristic of cinema" which within the realm of combat tends to mean exciting, kinetic, visual sequences.
Thats the etymology.and rather useless in defining it. Cinematic sequences have rules to them. The things people get taught when they go to school for this kind of things. There is structure, there are rules to making a good anything. The Pendelum of Power is the most foundational of these rules. It creates a narrative in the action. You can see it anywhere. There are alternative structures, but its the most common.

Stick the party in an empty room with enemies and 4e can achieve greater cinematic combat then 3.5.

There, simple.
"I use tide of iron, I hit, I push him one square" is about as cinematic as "I attack with my longsword".
It would be "I rush forward, slamming my shield into the goblin, lifting him up off the ground, he hangs on to my shield, grasping and scratching to keep his balance as I push forward, before I hit him in the head with the pommel of my sword, knocking him off."

Compared to "I bring my sword down with everything I have, the goblin raises his sword to parry, but he in unable to resist my blow, and his arm gives away, as I cut across his face."

See the difference? Of course not, cause there isn't much difference. And each can be varied in a few ways maintaining interest.

But in 4e, you have a second at will and a variety of encounter powers, to avoid fatigue. And in addition 4e allows for a greater disconnect between what happened mechanically and what was roleplayed.

In 3.5 you've exhausted every variation of "Hit them with my sword" by the second level. And getting interesting terrain is practically a requirement to an interesting fight. Because those 'crazy' ideas and far more chaotic rollings are the staple of the entertainment.
Verbannon
1st Level

Post by Verbannon »

You have said that 4e has better character development. You have not exlpained why...At least not to my satisfaction. If this is a matter of opinion, so be it. Otherwise, I would appreciate some extrapolation in this point.
Okay, most everything in 3.5 is linear. Ignoring the third party stuff, nearly all customization comes from either where you place your levels or what feats you get. Feats in 3.5 are fine, a a bit too rare in my opinion, but they can alter a character enough to be fine.

I remember the first thing I felt was when I played a barbarian, looking at its development was disappointment and I noticed I didn't see any reason to level up. Because all I saw ahead was static increases, nothing new. So I looked to prestige classes and multiclassing to actually get more variety in my character. And I noticed that eventually I would have to settle for static growth, or the exponential increase in 3.5 difficulties would leave me useless.

That was my last campaign I played in 3.5, and the first time I tried building
a character based on the game rather then trying to fit the game to my character idea.
Can you explain why 4e is balanced compared to other games? I would really like someone to give me a definition here. I see 'balanced' being bandied about like a some buzzword, but I have no fucking clue what people are talking about.
Perfect balance means no loopholes, the strongest most optimized character won't so greatly overshadow the worst made character that the worst made is rendered useless, but the strongest and most optimized will still feel stronger then the average optimized. And it does this while still maintaining sufficient complexity and depth that it doesn't become a glorified rock/paper/scissors or checkers.

Thats perfect balance, balance in short means the sweetpoint between two extremes.

4e isn't perfect, when they say 4e is balanced they mean is is noticeably more balanced then its competition ((its competition being 3.5. exclusively.))

No. Good strategy leads to fast resolutions with minimal costs (in principle). The padded sumo effect does not contribute to my gaming experience. At all.
That renders chess and go the least strategic games in existence. Strategy is just about victory with the lowest costs, fast resolution is just he usual side effect. Anyway, the antithesis to strategy and tactics while at the same time being the most important factor is chance.

Let me put it in the simplest way.

When you get a +2 advantage on any given roll there is a 10% chance of that +2 mattering. (If the DC is 15, the roll will have to be 13-14 to matter). However with two rolls, the chance of that 2 mattering increases, with 3 rolls, even more chance, with 10 rolls, much higher, in 20 rolls that +2 alone has almost certainly had a great effect.

What this means tactically, is that those little things start to matter a whole lot. Which inherently opens up a lot more tactics. It turns it into a great mental game as both sides struggle to gain even the slightest edge to gain the win.

If thats not tactically better then 3.5 then I need another word for it. Because its something better then 3.5.
Lame. I want my magic sword damnit. This is D&D.
Then don't go the low magic rules.
I like games to progress quickly. 1 hour is fine for a drawn out fight against a powerul enemy. When the party is cutting down goblins anything longer than 15 minutes is inexcusable.
So you like fodder for everything but the bosses.
Can you explain this. What do you mean by huge tactical impact? Can you provide some examples please?
My first post for instance here showing some of the impact of tide of iron, if thats not enough pick an effect and I'll give you the math and diagrams showing the effect it has on a battle.
Its not an errata, the people who say that are just fear mongering. its a simplification for essentials, all the original monsters are still valid and not obsolete.
They aren't even the same monsters.
Wrathzog
Knight-Baron

Post by Wrathzog »

Doom wrote:Indeed, especially with a game that's basically dead. I mean, we may as well be arguing the finer points of wicked googlies in cricket.
What finer points? Wicked googlies are fucking op as hell and it's all people ever use. They should never have been brought into the game, destroying all need for tactics as people spam their one move.

FUCK MAN IT FEELS LIKE WE DO THIS EVERY THREAD.
PSY DUCK?
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Verbannon wrote:It would be "I rush forward, slamming my shield into the goblin, lifting him up off the ground, he hangs on to my shield, grasping and scratching to keep his balance as I push forward, before I hit him in the head with the pommel of my sword, knocking him off."

Compared to "I bring my sword down with everything I have, the goblin raises his sword to parry, but he in unable to resist my blow, and his arm gives away, as I cut across his face."
Where's the 4E example? You just described bull rush and power attack.
Verbannon
1st Level

Post by Verbannon »

Where's the 4E example? You just described bull rush and power attack.
That wasn't even your post I was responding to. Anyway that wouldn't have been bullrush in 3.5 unless you got the improved bullrush feat and if thats powerattack then normal attack in 3.5 is even more useless for cinematic effect.

Because

"I lock blades with my opponent, struggling for leverage, and when I find it, I kick his knee out from under him, and as he tries grabbing onto me for balance, I raise my sword up and stab him quickly in the back, penetrating half an inch through the soft leather there."

would not be allowed in a 3.5 game because the actions that created the opening to stab (the knee kick and blade lock) would be considered godmoding.
CapnTthePirateG
Duke

Post by CapnTthePirateG »

The knee kick sounds like a trip to me, and I'd probably allow the description in a 3.5 game.
OgreBattle wrote:"And thus the denizens learned that hating Shadzar was the only thing they had in common, and with him gone they turned their venom upon each other"
-Sarpadian Empires, vol. I
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

Verbannon wrote:
"I lock blades with my opponent, struggling for leverage, and when I find it, I kick his knee out from under him, and as he tries grabbing onto me for balance, I raise my sword up and stab him quickly in the back, penetrating half an inch through the soft leather there."

would not be allowed in a 3.5 game because the actions that created the opening to stab (the knee kick and blade lock) would be considered godmoding.
That's improved trip.
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
talozin
Knight-Baron

Post by talozin »

Verbannon wrote: would not be allowed in a 3.5 game because the actions that created the opening to stab (the knee kick and blade lock) would be considered godmoding.
The end result of your description is "I do weapon damage." I'm pretty sure that's legal in 3.5.
Verbannon
1st Level

Post by Verbannon »

The knee kick sounds like a trip to me, and I'd probably allow the description in a 3.5 game.
And other DMs wouldn't, like the three 3.5 DMs I played under.

In 4e That description is protected by the rules, just as long as the end result remains unchanged.
The end result of your description is "I do weapon damage." I'm pretty sure that's legal in 3.5.

And that is a completely irrelevant point you are making.
talozin
Knight-Baron

Post by talozin »

Verbannon wrote: And that is a completely irrelevant point you are making.
That you don't understand why this is not so is an excellent illustration of why you mistakenly think 4E is somehow "more cinematic" than 3.5.
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

talozin wrote:That you don't understand why this is not so is an excellent illustration of why you mistakenly think 4E is somehow "more cinematic" than 3.5.
I have to agree here. I can't see how either is even remotely cinematic. I'm falling asleep here. Did I just run out of popcorn? Excuse me ...
Krusk
Knight-Baron

Post by Krusk »

Verbannon wrote:
And other DMs wouldn't, like the three 3.5 DMs I played under.
Just as playing under a good DM doesn't make a system good, playing under a bad DM doesn't make a system bad.

Where do the rules for 4e say "DMs let your players play improv theater before every attack". More importantly, where do the rules for 4e show it better than the rules for 3.5. (keep in mind 4e is the updated, newer version. If you show the two are equal, 4e fails by default of costing money)

I feel like at this point you have resorted to "Well I like it so its good" as your defense. (As an aside, stop saying IMO. We know it is your opinion. It comes from you)
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Krusk wrote:(As an aside, stop saying IMO. We know it is your opinion. It comes from you)
The entire forum is called In My Humble Opinion. Seriously, do what Krusk said, because this is super annoying.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.