VaeVictis, a Dom3 MP

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

tenuki
Master

Post by tenuki »

Quantumboost wrote:Yeah, I... actually hadn't scripted them with the expectation that the battle would commence this turn. Meaning that I hadn't actually changed their scripts at all, or allocated resources at all, or done anything really. That was probably my greatest mistake and what led to... most of the others. The devils weren't the only ones with no meaningful commands, I think that was pretty much everyone else.
You know, initially I had planned to let just one commander attack and see what you had in there. Changed my mind, though. :)

The original reason for doing so was that I didn't want to sit there with a bunch of lightly attired ladies and get ritual-toasted for more turns than absolutely necessary. I'd look stupid going into battle with more gems than Maenads. Plus, Abysia can teleport and fly. Information about castle defense will be out of date the next turn anyway. Another idea was that if I wanted to maximize the surprise effect of my Astral mage zapping your mind hunters, I'd better attack right away. The effect of the latter was smaller than I had hoped (I had expected more than two mind hunts), but obviously I lucked out in another, unforeseen way.

Adonis Zappa wrote: Far be it from the noble ungulates of Pangaea to fling poo upon the vanquished as if we were lowly primates, of Bandar Log or otherwise. Our thoughts are with the bereaved.
(From the Prophet's victory address.)
Last edited by tenuki on Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the toys go winding down.
- Primus
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

C'Tis would like to declare its intent to trade Air Gems or Skull Mentors for Water Gems or Earth Gems. We really need Earth & Water >_>.

(And yes, I staled last turn, but given that I was at peace and I really couldn't build much anyway, it was okay).

Also, does anyone want to get a few dozen C'Tis militia to use as target practice? We have tried telling them to go home and stop asking for handouts... but they seem determined to die for their God :P.
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

Okay, let me sweeten the deal: I am willing to give Death Gems for Earth Gems.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Zinegata wrote:Okay, let me sweeten the deal: I am willing to give Death Gems for Earth Gems.
Marignon would rather just get the Skull Mentors, but we're willing to send you Earth Gems.

-Username17
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

PM sent to Marignon to hammer out details of the trade package :)

Also, yes, the new management of C'Tis is willing to trade with anyone. We are poor and need to trade to get out of our Third World.
Last edited by Zinegata on Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

Anyone willing to sell 50 blood slaves?
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

To Atlantis: you should have murdering wintered the army when it was still on land. Now we have your capital in our sights. What are you going to do, Mind Hunt? We're Marignon, that won't even work.

-Username17
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

FrankTrollman wrote:To Atlantis: you should have murdering wintered the army when it was still on land. Now we have your capital in our sights. What are you going to do, Mind Hunt? We're Marignon, that won't even work.

-Username17
Speaking of, a few turns back I discerned that you capital was hot, then I threw both Wolven Winter and Murdering Winter at it. In fact, I threw two Wolvens to increase the odds that one of them would hit before the Murdering, but they both happened after. Is there any way to influence in what order your rituals go off?
Shiritai
Knight-Baron

Post by Shiritai »

angelfromanotherpin wrote:
FrankTrollman wrote:To Atlantis: you should have murdering wintered the army when it was still on land. Now we have your capital in our sights. What are you going to do, Mind Hunt? We're Marignon, that won't even work.

-Username17
Speaking of, a few turns back I discerned that you capital was hot, then I threw both Wolven Winter and Murdering Winter at it. In fact, I threw two Wolvens to increase the odds that one of them would hit before the Murdering, but they both happened after. Is there any way to influence in what order your rituals go off?
If it's handled like the other random order events (movement, forging), then it's by unit ID going high-low or low-high. So if you had wolven winter cast by one guy higher and one guy lower on the ID list than the murdering caster, then you could guarantee a wolven hitting before your murdering.

Edit: That said, since wolven winter causes a random event, it might always go into effect after all other rituals and magic battles have been resolved. I'd need to test that.
Last edited by Shiritai on Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

C'Tis declares its neutrality in the ongoing conflicts.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

How very neutral of you.
tenuki
Master

Post by tenuki »

I won't be able to get in a turn today. Can I have a 24-hour extension, please?
- Primus
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

I'm going to have to get a sub. I'm going to be gone for the next two weeks and I'm experiencing some serious slowdown issues with Dom3 that make watching battles impractical, so I really can't play properly.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
tenuki
Master

Post by tenuki »

turn sent. sorry for the delay; i had band rehearsals all week on top of my regular job.
- Primus
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

That was a well done combined arms assault. Totally got in on the ground floor before I had a chance to gateway in soldiers and summon troops.

-Username17
tenuki
Master

Post by tenuki »

Thank you. I tried quite hard to come up with a plan that wouldn't expose me to one of your scathing AARs. :)

But my, you've got some impressive indie mages.
- Primus
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Looking back on it, I should have put up a storm and teleported a bunch of mages in, possibly delaying my attack on Atlantis to do it. Clearly, had I done so, I would be about a 100 gems worth of crap richer and I'd have an extra victory point.

The fliers you had access to caught me by surprise, my intelligence on that side of the map just wasn't very good and I bet on being able to hold out for one more turn before you could send in a "real" assault. And I was wrong.

-Marignon
tenuki
Master

Post by tenuki »

My end of things:

I wasn't at all sure the attack would work, as I just cobbled it together from what was available to reach the province on that turn. Plus, my guys were still geared to fight Abysians, not Marignon. However, I was afraid that waiting would probably not make you any weaker, so I decided to take a risk. The payoff for winning also seemed pretty large to me (lots of mages, no retreat).

The preliminary remote troop attack turned out to be almost useless. All it did was make your astral guy blow his two pearls on Antimagic - half-assed good for my Carrion Lord's sleep vines and the highly peripheral Petrify in the main attack and not much else. I had hoped to draw out some heavy air evocs/gems, but my force was just too small.

I think I got lucky with the assassination stuff; e.g. the earth attack landing on your Grand Master and not on a Harbinger.

In the main battle I think I should have eschewed a Petrify or two and tried to Iron Will my Tarrasque instead. There goes 25 gems. And I've never seen Shimmering Fields in action before, though I always thought it looked pretty good in the rules. That is one mean mother of a spell.

At any rate and as you wrote above, my whole enterprise depended mainly on your waiting a turn to build a lab. (You did try to build a lab, didn't you?)

On a side line, Boo! gets a medal and a week-long spa treatment at his favorite tanner's shop for nailing those two Harbingers. Very brave of him, considering how he's undead and all.
- Primus
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Llamaservr hasn't updated since yesterday morning. I sent my turn in three times and it hasn't been acknowledged yet. The turn is scheduled to run in like 9 hours. It will probably work itself out by then, but if it doesn't, I am going to want a turn rollback. Just a head's up.

-Username17
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

Requesting turn extension as well.
Quantumboost
Knight-Baron

Post by Quantumboost »

Somehow my emails from before today are missing, could I get a resend on this turn?
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:I'm not going to go full-asshole, but I'm turning up the dial about 50 millikaeliks.
tenuki
Master

Post by tenuki »

you can get a resend from llamaserver. there is a link on the game status page (http://www.llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=VaeVictis).
- Primus
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

The turn was supposed to run on fucking Tuesday. It is Friday and the turn hasn't run. Now it's listed for Saturday.

What the fuck is the holdup? Why are we in this situation? Llamaserver was acting up for 24 hours or so last Monday, that is no excuse at all for the game to be delayed for four days.

Run the fucking turn. If someone can't get their turn in during the time the schedule is supposed to run three subsequent turns, they deserve to stale at least once.

-Username17
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Keep your shirt on, Hulkster.

Quantumboost (who is a novice taking over in midstream) asked for a turn resend yesterday, and I thought a little more time was warranted.

As it is, we still don't have a sub for Ermor, but since there's been no movement on that for a week, I don't care so much.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

Calling all subs...calling all subs...