NPC classes

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Judging__Eagle
Prince

Re: NPC classes

Post by Judging__Eagle »

I re-did the combat trooper.

Being able to bypass DRs is somewhat important I'm finding.

Judging Eagle at [unixtime wrote:1179630894[/unixtime]]

Combat Trooper[NPC]
Stats: Str 18, Dex 14, Con 16, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 8 (do not increase stats due to HD)
HD: 1d10 (average 5.5/lvl)
Skills: The following are in-class skills with maximum ranks. Intimidate, Jump, Listen, Sense Motive
BAB: Good Fort: Good Ref: Good Will: Good
1 No time for fancy pancyness, Steel Weapons
2 Attack Mastery
3 Charge!
4 Tons of Attacks
5 Larger than you, Magic Weapons
6 I've got no time to Die!
8 Keep it Moving
9 Special Material Weapons
10 I've got my eye on you
11 Me Too!
12 Alignment Weapons

Weapon and Armor proficiencies: Combat Troopers carry around weapons which deal 1d8+level damage on a successful hit. They have an armor bonus of 8+level/2.
Their weapons may be one (or any) of the following: Melee, Reach or Ranged (80 Foot range increment). If using a Melee weapon a Combat Trooper gains a Sheild bonus of 2+level/2. Changing from one mode of fighting to an other (Melee to Ranged or Reach or vice versa) takes a standard action.

No time for fancy pancyness: Anytime that a Combat Trooper could gain a feat, they instead deal +1 damage per hit and gain +1 hit point per hit dice.

Steel Weapons: At level 1, Combat Troopers weapons may count as Steel (aka. Iron) for damage reduction bypassing purposes.

Attack Mastery: At level 2 and from then on in, Combat Troopers get a bonus to all attack rolls equal to 1 + 1/2 levels.

Charge!: At 3rd level, Battle Troopers may make a double move and attack. The attack ends the Combat Troopers movement for the round.

Tons of Attacks: At 4th level Combat Troopers may attacks of opportunity equal to 1/2 their level. They cannot gain attacks of opportunity from any other source.

Magic Weapons: At level 5, Combat Troopers weapons may count as Magic for damage reduction bypassing purposes.

Larger Than You: Combat Troopers gain a +4 competence bonus to all size dependant effects (grappling, tripping etc.) at level 5. This bonus increases to +6 at level 10, and to +10 at level 15.

I've got no time to Die!: Combat Troopers gain a +2 competence bonus to Constitution at level 6. This bonus increases to +4 at level 12, and to +6 at level 18.

Keep it Moving: At level 8, a Combat Troopers may make an extra 5 foot step in their round, even if they already took one that round.

Special Material Weapons: At level 9, Combat Troopers weapons may count as any single special material for damage reduction bypassing purposes. Changing the type of material of a Combat Trooper's weapons takes a standard action.

I've got my eye on you: At level 10, a Combat Troopers can take attacks of opportunity on any action that provokes one within 5 feet per 2 levels; excluding movement.

Me Too: At level 11, Combat Troopers enter the Wisheconomy and all their stats gain an inherent bonus of +5.

Alignment Weapons: At level 9, Combat Troopers weapons may count as any single Alignment for damage reduction bypassing purposes. Changing the Alignment of a Combat Trooper's weapons takes a standard action.

I've also got a WarPriest NPC class that I've been tinkering around with.

I'm going to be using the battle wiz and some combat troopers and the war-priest along with some actual NPCs (the Atheism/Enlightenment Deep Dwarven cleric and a Fighter 5/Master Thrower 2 TWF Blitz/PBS+Sniper build).

The NPCs will be spread out over several encounters, but the idea is that they all know of each other.

War Priest[NPC]
Stats: Str 10, Dex 8, Con 16, Int 12, Wis 18, Cha 14 (do
not increase stats due to HD)
HD: 1d10 (average 5.5/lvl)
Skills: The following are in-class skills with maximum ranks.
Concentration, Spellcraft, Knowledge (Religion), Knowledge (The Planes)
BAB: 3/4
Fort: Good Ref: Poor Will: Good
1 Cure & Turn or Inflict & Rebuke
2 Blessing
3 Curing and Inflicting
4 Prayers
5 Power Bolts
6 Minions
7 Faith Champion (Divine Power), Ability Healing
8 Magical Craftsman
9 Combat Titan (Righetous Might), Ranged Curing
10 Heal or Harm, Blasts of Power
11 Me Too!
12 Henchman
17 Ranged Healing
20 Miracle of Miracles

Weapon and Armor proficiencies: War Priests carry around melee and ranged weapons which deal 1d8+level damage on a successful hit. They have an armor bonus of 8+level/2.
Their weapons may be one (or any) of the following: Meleeor Ranged (80 Foot range increment). If using a Melee weapon a War Priest gains an
Sheild bonus of 2+level/2. Changing from Melee to Ranged or vice versa takes a standard action.

Cure & Turn or Inflict & Rebuke: At 1st level a War Priest must choose if they channel Positive or Negative energy.

Positive Energy
If positive energy is chosen they may cure 1d6 per class level per round as a touch attack. This may be spread out among as many targets are within touch range of the War Priest, however they may not use more than 1d6 per round than they have levels. If used on undead it deals damage although they get to make a will save for half (Save DC is 10 + 1/2 War Priest levels + Wisdom Modifier).

In addition they turn as if they were a cleric with 3 Hit Dice every two class levels (turn as if they were a cleric with 50% more levels).

Negative Energy
If negative energy is chosen they may inflict 1d6 per class level per round as a touch attack although the target get to make a will save for half (Save DC is 10 + 1/2 War Priest levels + Wisdom Modifier). This may be spread out among as many targets are within touch range of the War Priest, however they may not use more than 1d6 per round than they have levels. If used on undead it heals damage

In addition they rebuke as if they were a cleric with 3 Hit Dice every two class levels (turn as if they were a cleric with 50% more levels).

Blessing: At 2nd level, a War Priest and his allies gain a +1 Divine Bonus to hit. This takes a Standard action to activate and affects the War Priest and all allies within close range. Every 3 levels afterward this bonus increases by +1 (+2 at lvl 5, +3 at level 8, +4 at level 11, +5 at level 14, +6 at level 17, +7 at level 20). This effect lasts 5 rounds.

Curing and Inflicting: At 3rd level, a War Priest may both Cure and Inflict; if they chose Positive Energy, the War Priest may now also inflict, if they chose Negative energy, they may now also Cure.

These new abilites function exactly the same as described, except that the War Priest only can use 1d6 per two levels of this new ability.

Thus a Curing War Priest can cure 1d6 per level; and inflict 1d6 per two levels.

Prayers: At 4th level, a War Priest as a standard action can grant all of his allies within 50 feet a +1 luck bonus to the following rolls: Attack, Damage, Skill Check, Saving Throws. All enemies within range recieve an equal penalty to those same rolls.

The bonus increases every 4 levels to a maximimum of +5 at lvl 20 (with a -5 penalty to enemies). This effect lasts one round per level that the War Priest has.

Power Bolts: At 5th level can fire bolts of Positive or Negative energy at will.

This functions as a Scorching Ray spell (one ray at lvl 5 that deals 4d6 damage as a touch attack, two rays at level 9 that can attack up to two targets no further than 30 feet from each other, three rays at level 11 and four rays at level 14).

The damage dealt is positive energy (which deals 50% more damage to undead and evil outsiders) if the War Priest chose Curing at level 1. The damage dealt is negative energy (which deals 50% more damage to good outsiders and heals undead) if the War Priest chose Inflicting at level 1.

Minions: At level 6 the War Priest is followed by a number of minions. These are Combat Troopers [NPC] or undead with a CR 4 lower than the War Priest. The War Priest may have up to 1 such Minion per level.

Faith Champion: At 7th level, the War Priest may cast Divine Power once per encounter. This grants them a BaB equal to their Hit Dice, a +6 enhancement bonus to Str (+3 to hit, +3 to damage, +3 to str based skill checks and +3 to grappling) and +1 Hit Point per hit Dice.

Status Healing: At 7th level, the War Priest may remove status effects on creautres as a touch attack. They may remove no more than one effect per War Priest level.

Magical Craftsman: At 8th level, the War Priest is able to craft magical equipment for himself and his minions. Count the War Priest (anmd his minions) as being within the Wish Economy with regards to equipment that increases stats, weapons, armour class (armour, sheild, deflection and natural) and saving throws. They gain no other effect that the Wish economy would normally grant.

Combat Titan: At 9th level, the War Priest may cast Righetous Might once per encounter. Their size increases by one size, they gain a +8 size bonus to strength, +2 hit points per hit dice and a Damage redction equal to their level (X) with War Priests that chose Curing gaining DR X/Evil and War Priests that chose Inflictng gaining DR X/Good.

Ranged Curing or Inflicting: At level 9, The War Priest may use their 1st level Curing or Inflicting at close range (25 + 5 feet per 2 levels)

Heal / Harm: At 10th level, the War Priest may cast Heal and Harm at will.

Blasts of Power: At 10th level, the War Priest may use their Power Bolts ability gained at 5th level to instead create 20 foot radius blasts instead of Ray attacks. Creatures caught within this effect are granted a Reflex save for half damage, with a DC of 10 + 1/2 War Priest level + War Priest Wisdom modifier.

Me Too!: At level 11, War Priests enter the Wish economy and all their stats gain an inherent bonus of +5.

Henchman: At level 12, the War Priest gains a loyal cohort that is their own CR -2.

Ranged Heal/Harm: At 17th level, the War Priest may use Heal and Harm at close range.

Miracle of Miracles: At level 20, the War Priest may cast Miracle as a standard action, this is a spell like ability.
----------------

Phew, I think that covers the melee brute and the divine healer npc classes.

I think that a rogue-like NPC is in order next.

The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
AlphaNerd
Master

Post by AlphaNerd »

Just thought it might be worth pointing out this:
http://www.zipworld.com.au/~hong/ih/mur ... [br][br]Of course, it's designed for IH, so it's probably lower power than regular D&D.
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

Well, if it helps, you can simply accept the fact that a sorcerer is pretty much an NPC class in the wrong book. It has all the hallmarks- limited choices, and nothing else beyond standard feat progression. Oh, yeah and it sucks at both item creation and combat metamagic. Good idea, WotC. Give it a maxed concentration and spellcraft check, toss a mix of blasting and save vs suck spells repeatedly and call it a day.

Its unfortunate, because I really like the concept, but as written it is an utter and total waste for a PC. And of course, these days, take bard6/lyric thaumaturge 4/Sublime Chord 10 and you are by and large doing better than you ever could as a sorcerer. Hps, saves, skills, class abilities, and some of the better utility, save vs suck and battlefield control spells.

But it is a quick and dirty approach of a BBEG or minion. Take some choice spells and spam them.

As for the murderous gimp there. Eh. Too much the glass cannon, and not anything particularly tactical. Weak for IH, let alone D&D. It gets, essentially, one shot and if it rolls well, it could potentially (but isn't likely to) drop one of the weaker classes. Regardless of that outcome, it instantly gets rendered into dogmeat by the rest of the party. The only useful place for it is ambushing a character who is off by himself or as a surprise attack in a larger battle.