Bards?

The homebrew forum

Moderator: Moderators

Bihlbo
Master

Bards?

Post by Bihlbo »

I've looked through some Tome stuff for info on bards, and I haven't found it yet. Am I missing it? If I'm not, is the bard intended to be not included in a Tome game?
Quantumboost
Knight-Baron

Post by Quantumboost »

The Bard was originally slated for Tome of Trees, which never actually happened. Frank made an alternate Bard class a while ago here. Bards are viable for a while though (was it 12th where they go obsolete?) so you can probably make do with a core Bard in the earlier levels easily.

Jesters from the Dungeonomicon are fairly bard-like, as well.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:I'm not going to go full-asshole, but I'm turning up the dial about 50 millikaeliks.
...You Lost Me
Duke

Post by ...You Lost Me »

I think a lot of people around here also get pissy when you talk about a class whose seperating ability is singing so that other people can get bonuses.
DSMatticus wrote:Again, look at this fucking map you moron. Take your finger and trace each country's coast, then trace its claim line. Even you - and I say that as someone who could not think less of your intelligence - should be able to tell that one of these things is not like the other.
Kaelik wrote:I invented saying mean things about Tussock.
Bihlbo
Master

Post by Bihlbo »

Yeah don't get me wrong, bards are conceptually rediculous.
Sunwitch
Master

Post by Sunwitch »

Quantumboost wrote:Bards are viable for a while though (was it 12th where they go obsolete?) so you can probably make do with a core Bard in the earlier levels easily.
Lies, spellcasters do basically everything they do better all the way through; the only unique ability they get, which isn't just something a wizard could do at an earlier level, is inspire, which is rarely significant.

Anyway, the most likely Tome class as a replacement for Bard is the Marshall, with all those inspiration abilities intact and a decent aptitude for direct combat; I would suggest a reflavouring of that guy if you want a Bard the easy way. I recall that the frankbard got some updates at http://dungeons.wikia.com, though I'm looking at it now and I don't see anything of the sort anymore; it looks like the site's undergoing some renovations.
Quantumboost
Knight-Baron

Post by Quantumboost »

Mauver wrote:Lies, spellcasters do basically everything they do better all the way through; the only unique ability they get, which isn't just something a wizard could do at an earlier level, is inspire, which is rarely significant.
"Spellcasters", and I assume you mean wizard/cleric/druid are also known to be more than the baseline competence level. Saying "wizards are better" is meaningless when you're determining whether someone can pull their own weight.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:I'm not going to go full-asshole, but I'm turning up the dial about 50 millikaeliks.
TarkisFlux
Duke

Post by TarkisFlux »

Mauver wrote:I recall that the frankbard got some updates at http://dungeons.wikia.com, though I'm looking at it now and I don't see anything of the sort anymore; it looks like the site's undergoing some renovations.
That site was largely abandoned a year ago due to some changes wikia was pushing onto everyone. They have since disabled one of the extensions we used for navigation, and you basically can't find anything there unless you know where to look or what to search for. There is not a sufficiently active group remaining there to fix it, so it'll be down indefinitely.

We moved to http://www.dnd-wiki.org instead. The Frank Bard updates you were thinking of are here.
The wiki you should be linking to when you need a wiki link - http://www.dnd-wiki.org

Fectin: "Ant, what is best in life?"
Ant: "Ethically, a task well-completed for the good of the colony. Experientially, endorphins."
Bihlbo
Master

Post by Bihlbo »

TYVM, folks. TarkisFlux, that's information I didn't have, and it answers a lot of other questions too. Much obliged.