Guns in Schools

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Guns in Schools

Post by fbmf »

http://www.reporternews.com/news/2009/a ... or-school/

I know I am over two years late with this story but I am doing research for a grad school paper and came across this and have no idea what this...
“Would you stick a sign at a school that says, ‘No guns on this property’? Why wouldn’t you? It invites nasty people to come,” he said. “That’s what you’ve done to every public school in the nation. That’s why there were no shootings until Columbine. It’s turned into a dad-gum shoot fest.”
...even means. Keep in mind I am born and raised in Texas, and although I think of myself as moderate most of you guys would think of me as screaming flaming far right, but...wow. Just: Wow.

Game On,
fbmf
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

think this goes in the news thread broski
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Chamomile wrote:Ant, what do we do about Psychic Robot?
You do not seem to do anything.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

fbmf wrote: have no idea what this...even means.
:freakedout:

As I read it, it means that making schools gun-free areas puts a huge target on them that says "aim here" in much the same way that announcing your vacation on Facebook says, "rob me, my house is empty."

The guy seriously spent nearly $1,000 per student on a security system, though. Wouldn't it have been cheaper to have experts come to the school to identify and counsel kids with issues (if there are any)? Or hire a couple of security guards?

I mean, hooray there were no shootings after school faculty were allowed to carry weapons, but at a 110 student school, were there problems before that?
Last edited by Maj on Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

What the quote means, as far as I can tell, is that putting a sign up saying "no guns allowed" sends the intended message to law-abiding citizens, but says "easy prey inside" to armed criminals, something which would be particular true for crazed gunmen looking to shoot people for giggles. And that by not allowing guns into schools, they were having the same effect. To me, it seems that if you believe Joe Q. Public can be trusted to carry a concealed weapon with which to defend himself, you shouldn't really have a problem with Joe Q. Teacher carrying one to defend his students. The power imbalance in a high school encourages all kinds of bullying of the students by the teachers, but I'm fairly certain the background checks are there specifically to weed out people who will seriously threaten to shoot their students on a bad day.

EDIT:
I mean, hooray there were no shootings after school faculty were allowed to carry weapons, but at a 110 student school, were there problems before that?
The school's in Texas. There was probably a shooting every Tuesday.
Last edited by Chamomile on Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

There were tons of shootings at schools before Columbine.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

Count is right. Just looking at that data, it looks like school shootings really picked up sometime around 2006, seven years after Columbine and a year before Virginia Tech. I don't know what to make of that.
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

it means teachers should come equipped with shotguns to deal with unruly students
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Chamomile wrote:Ant, what do we do about Psychic Robot?
You do not seem to do anything.
Fuchs
Duke

Post by Fuchs »

I still remember walking past my school on a saturday, on the way to the range, with the state-loaned assault rifle on my back for my young rifleman's training, and meeting three of my teachers coming out :)

For a country where almost anyone 16 or older who wants to can get an assault rifle to keep at home over summer for pre-military shooting training, we have remarkably few incidents at schools.
Last edited by Fuchs on Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

Psychic Robot wrote:think this goes in the news thread broski
I'll let the mods know.

Game On,
fbmf
Wesley Street
Knight

Post by Wesley Street »

Someone should let the management of the Hard Rock Cafe know that their "no nuclear weapons allowed" signs are going to cause trouble.
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

Perhaps I am naive but I would assume that the sign “No guns on property” would apply to the students and visitors entering the property; not the security guards. I can’t see why anyone would want to arm the janitors. I can’t even see why anyone would want to arm the teachers, because most teachers lack the training and one can argue that the people entrusted with guns should take a more “hands off” approach in general.

I do know of a case where a kid brought a gun to class and the teacher managed to disarm that child with minimal endangerment to everyone. When asked he explained that he got that training as a part of his military deployment to Vietnam. They were shocked at this because apparently his status as a Vietnam Vet never came up when he applied for the teaching position (and in truth a lot of Vietnam Vets would rather forget their experience) as though they probably not have hired him had they known he had been a veteran. This is the topsy turvy world of modern education.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

The big increase in "notable" school shootings in recent years is merely the increased notability of shootings in general. Teen shootings have been dropping since the mid nineties:

Anyone who says that school shootings started with Columbine is factually wrong. They are either tragically misinformed or deliberately lying to people. Columbine represents the tipping point: not when violence spiraled out of control, but when children shooting people to death finally became rare enough that it was a "Man Bites Dog" story that did not get displaced from the media cycle by a similar event for a long time.

The story is not that Columbine happened. It's that crime fell so much that Columbine was atypical when it happened.

-Username17
sabs
Duke

Post by sabs »

Columbine was the first time it happened in a nice white, middle class town.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

Columbine's body count was roughly three or four times that of the average public shooting.

This is also why the Virginia Tech Massacre was news but the University of Washington Shooting just two weeks before was not: 32 is more than 2.
Last edited by Chamomile on Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

At least the under 14 line is skimming along the bottom.
sabs
Duke

Post by sabs »

The big shock of Columbine wasn't that it happened, it was that it took so long to happen.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

WHat was the reason for the giant spike in the late '70s and the mid '90s for the 14-25 age range?
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
Guyr Adamantine
Master

Post by Guyr Adamantine »

Cynic wrote:WHat was the reason for the giant spike in the late '70s and the mid '90s for the 14-25 age range?
Hippies, then Doom.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

The giant rise in youth homicides starting in the mid-80s and continuing until the early 90s is commonly attributed to crack. And perhaps more specifically to the rise of the militant armed gangs that were around crack.

The two year 20% increase of youth homicides during the economic downturn of the late 70s is harder to place. It doesn't correspond super well with any particular events I can place. It's not related to organized crime events, and it is actually surrounded on both sides by recessions that didn't accompany corresponding murder spikes. It's 1979 to 1982, so it's tempting to blame that on cocaine as well:

-Username17
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

I remember hearing that Boston did something with mandatory sentencing for adults caught dealing around then, and that next week, all the corner dealers were replaced by their younger brothers (who would not fall under mandatory sentencing). I don't actually know anything first hand, but I heard that story as a weird thing that someone lived through, and it seems plausible to connect those events.
wotmaniac
Knight-Baron

Post by wotmaniac »

Cynic wrote:WHat was the reason for the giant spike in the late '70s and the mid '90s for the 14-25 age range?
Disco. Then grunge.
For those of us that lived through both, it's purely a miracle that we're still alive.

-----------
fectin wrote:I remember hearing that Boston did something with mandatory sentencing for adults caught dealing around then, and that next week, all the corner dealers were replaced by their younger brothers (who would not fall under mandatory sentencing). I don't actually know anything first hand, but I heard that story as a weird thing that someone lived through, and it seems plausible to connect those events.
hey -- no matter what you do, sellers of goods will find a way to get their products to their most valued customers. No.Matter.What.
*WARNING*: I say "fuck" a lot.
"The most patriotic thing you can do as an American is to become filthy, filthy rich."
- Mark Cuban

"Game design has no obligation to cater to people who don’t buy into the premise of the game"

TGD -- skirting the edges of dickfinity since 2003.

Public Service Announcement
sabs
Duke

Post by sabs »

My biggest regret of the Grunge era, is that Kurt Cobain didn't commit suicide sooner.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

sabs wrote:My biggest regret of the Grunge era, is that Kurt Cobain didn't commit suicide sooner.
your wrong. only noob thinks grunge is op.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack