MC Koumei representing

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Reminder: game in less than 24 hours.

Last session was short: they talked the robo-maids into believing they were supposed to be there, then went and assaulted the Sand Witch running the place. They all passed their saves against the breath weapon, so took no penalties and clubbed her into submission.

After that they tied her up, and this session she might be made to walk the plank.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

So, they tied the sand witch up, and she fast-healed, woke up and started to escape, until they explained their plan, which was basically "We beat you up, so now you're our friend, joining the crew."

Realising she wasn't going to be eaten/sold into slavery/[censored for decency] in the [censored for decency] with a [censored for decency], she went along with it. The party now have more ship crew (her + maids) and loot (her belongings).

The castle collapsed when they left, which angered the local Gurf.

"A burrowing monster - it's massive, at least 5' tall! And it has more legs than I can count, but at least six."

Yeah, an Ankheg. Round 1: it gets set on fire, provokes (for massive damage to the weak point) while charging (and missing) and team melee miss too.
Round 2: it gets charged and explodes.

They then decide to go check out the Coral Kingdom, the session ending just as they reach the tower in the ocean...
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Reminder that game is on in an hour-ish.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

So in the latest session of Pirate Bounty Friendship Punch!

They entered, and explored the sea level floor of the tower. Finding it empty, they decided to go upwards, to investigate the song. Crystal failed a Will Save, so got Charmed, and they eventually found an actual disco scene, complete with Darkness, Dancing Lights, disco ball... and three sirines singing and dancing. Probably this song

And an octopus on the keyboard and drums.

They spoke for a while, about the situation, until it was pointed out they didn't own the tower and had no tribute to give - the Underworlders are the ones you should talk to.

So the team, with a now un-Charmed Crystal, headed down, and found some stingrays when they were waist-high in water. Except resident telepath realised they were intelligent and malevolent. The basic Ixitxachitl all swarmed up on Princess Sparkles, who was IMMUNE!

The party then beat on them, with most killing done by Crystal's Pall of Frost (also injuring fellow party members - most damage the PCs suffered this session was from her). The two Vampiric ones then charged, and one of them managed to bite Crystal, for 4 damage, plus 5 from the negative level. Which will go away on its own when they rest. Fuck permanent level loss.

They then managed to slaughter the suckers, including a lovely sword crit. And that is where it ended . Surrounded in fishguts.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Koumei wrote: most killing done by Crystal's Pall of Frost (also injuring fellow party members - most damage the PCs suffered this session was from her).
Totally not my fault that the other party members are lacking in friendly-fire abilities.... :p

Rules Digression
not that it mattered for the massive overkill crit, but in case it comes up again: I interpret the correct damage procedure to be double everything except the added +1d6 cold damage. So the +1d6 cold damage add from Pall of Frost is still only +1d6 on a crit, but the Frozen Heart add level to cold damage is doubled ( even though that only triggers due to Pall of Frost ). If this is incorrect (or even not how you want to run it, lemme know before the next time I crit something.
Last edited by Josh_Kablack on Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Going to be a bit late, gotta take care of something. Hour at most, I think.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Can't make it tonight guys, sorry.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

That's okay - I only just woke up. So I guess that means session cancelled. Urk.

We really need to attach some motors to the Southern coast and move Australia towards the equator.

Also I should mention last week's session, for posterity:

They found a badly labelled well with mechanical lever+pulley+giant bucket, and made their way to the bottom. There they found some Sahuagin... Barry and Rodders, who are union reps to ensure the slaves get a fair deal. Apparently the slaves for the Old Missus (I'm the MC and I can't remember her name, oh joy) haven't been very happy or productive lately.

So they decided to go check on the slaves... who are all skeletons. Of the dead variety. Turns out they were air-breathers, and haven't been specially changed to breathe water, and the actual factory is under water. The Merrow slave-drivers were most annoyed, and tried to attack, but... basically, the Merrows couldn't leave the water, the party had no desire to enter the water, and all of the ranged attack options belonged to the party. So, um, yeah.

Next session they get to meet the Old Missus.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

... sand witch? :argh:
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Wanted to give a heads up, I can't make the next session, either, because I got scheduled for work, and am not in a position to ask for someone to take my shift.

Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Do you guys want to say "Screw Prak" and play anyway, or wait a week? I am awake and active, and in #arbitrarystring but I won't force you to play 1 down.

If we playgame, then Barry and Rodders will adopt their traditional role: the absentee becomes a cardboard cutout of herself, carried by the two union reps.
Quantumboost
Knight-Baron

Post by Quantumboost »

I delegate my decision to Josh.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:I'm not going to go full-asshole, but I'm turning up the dial about 50 millikaeliks.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

(7:49:03 PM) rabid_schnauzer: My vote is to run without Prak - as screwy as losing 1/3 of the playerbase is, I've already had a slew of gaming cancelations these past two weeks
So it looks like we're on. Sorry Prak.
8:05:48 PM) rabid_schnauzer: I'm also wondering if we should try to recruit one more?
(8:06:58 PM) rabid_schnauzer: Because being down 1 of 4 seems like less of a deal than being down 1 out of 3 to me. Although that's just my gut feeling more than mathematical properties
(8:23:17 PM) Sister_Acacia: Yeah, it would be nice to get a fourth player, really
So uh, this is Koumei's game, but I have to wonder if Maxus or Mask is still interested in joining?
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

NP, Josh. I actually figured you guys'd go on without me.

(Posting from phone on break, ftw)

Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Leveling up!
new stuff in green, mainly to make sure I updated all the +1s

Crystal Oymyako, Frostblade Maiden
(Empusa Monk 1/Blue Mage 3)
HP 4d8+8 (31 hp)
often +4 Temp HP
Initiative: +4
Move: 30' 60' with combat style, or 75' with combat style and skate
AC: 18 (+4 Dex, +4 armored in life) 22 with combat style
flatfooted AC: 14
touch AC: 18 22 with combat style
BAB: +3 / Grapple: +6
Attack:
Slam +8 melee 1d8+6 bludgeoning and 1d6+4 cold
or mw Bastard Sword +9 melee 1d10+5 slashing and 1d6+4 cold and mw Short Sword +9 melee 1d6+3 slashing and +1d6+4 cold
or Musket +8 ranged for 1d12. Range increment 150'
or Coldfire +7 ranged touch for 3d6+4 cold out to short range (30')
Full Attack
mw Bastard Sword +9 melee 1d10+5 slashing and 1d6+4 cold and mw Short Sword +9 melee 1d6+3 slashing and +1d6+4 cold and Slam +3 melee 1d8+6 bludgeoning and 1d6+4 cold
Special Attacks: Fatal Strike, Fighting Style (provides +4 dodge to AC and +30' Insight to movement rate) Coldfire, Pall of Frost (1d6+4 in 10' radius), Brittling (1d6+4 cold, auto-hits, target loses dex for 1 round (2 if cold vulnerable), hardness halved for 1d4 rounds) Sexy (charm person DC 17 1/day), Tiresome (kiss for 1d8+5 { and 1d6+4 cold } and 1 round fatigue, gain 4 temp HP) Frost's Bite (cold ignores resistance, immunity and hardness)

Special Qualities: Armoured in Life, Cold Resistance 4, Cold Magic, Frozen Heart (add char lvl or Cha to cold damage), Skate at will (as psi-power, At level 3, you may use Skate to cross liquid surfaces. The ice trail still disappears after a round). Create Ice Object (short range, up to 4 objects totaling up to 40 lbs, hardness 17; also may now fix Ice objects onto horizontal and vertical surfaces and be sure they'll support a decent amount of weight.) Wings: provide ability to glide and slow-fall At level 4, the Empusa may fly at 60' (Poor) for a total number of consecutive rounds at a time equal to her Con modifier (2),with a 3 round break in between,. telepathy out to 30' as a constant effect. Ground Freeze (Su): may freeze four 5-foot squares per character levels as standard action. The ice in any square can be thawed using a fire spell.

Saves: F +6 R+8 W+2

Ability Scores: Str 16 Dex 17 19 with enhancement - assuming I'm understand BoG Scaling Con 14 Int 13 Wis 7 Cha 21

Languages: Common and Infernal I guess.

Skill Totals: Diplomacy +12, Hide +11, Move Silently +11 , Swim +7, Tumble +8, Use Rope +10

Skill Ranks: Diplomacy 7, Tumble 4, Swim 4, Hide 7, Move Silently 7,Use Rope 6

Feats: Tome Combat School Icicle's Edge and it works with monk slam, short sword , long sword (aka cutlass), and bastard sword (aka katana) justified by being both pirate swashbuckly and ninja kickstabby, and empusa tail stab - even though the game is unlikely to go that long, Tome Two Weapon Fighting. Which I think I'm interpreting correctly in that it's no penalties whatsoever so long as the offhand weapon is light,

Weapon and Armor Proficiency from classes: Light Armor, sai, the nunchuka, the kama, the shuriken, triple staff, all martial swords and piercing weapons, and any three exotic piercing or slashing weapons. (bastard sword. DMG: Renesaince: Pistol, Musket.)
Last edited by Josh_Kablack on Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:04 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

So... Nasturtium was turned into a cardboard cut-out, carried by Barry and Rodders. The team went and met the old hag, who was of course a Sea Hag. Bam, -8 Strength to Princess Sparkles, and bam, Crystal is Dazed for THREE DAYS.

But Princess Sparkles has Remove Fear, and Evil Eye is a [Fear] effect, which provides 10 minutes of beat-down. In one hit, the hag dies.

They return to the surface, to rest up and LEVEL UP. And decide to use Therapist Finder to find a therapist for Crystal's terrible trauma. They come across the SeaCrest, decide to COMBINE! and succeed on a joint GAR Charisma check, actually combining ships.

They then chat with the empusa captain over tea and sandwiches, and she explains their job: they are the rapists!

Her 2CO then corrects her. "No, you said it wrong again, you'll get us into trouble one day." "Oops. We're the therapists." "Just therapists. We're therapists."

They do the Heart-Bank/Character World style therapy, along with hypnotherapy and Puff-Puff. They even run the Mystery Room Rip-off bar.

So it ended with the level 4 party deciding they should go around entering minds and PILLAGING THEIR TROUBLES AWAY!
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I'm currently not sure if I can make the game this week, because I was scheduled for work before I got a chance to change my availability schedule. Trying to get it covered, but at the moment, I have no clue what's going to happen.

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Half an hour from the start of my shift, and unless something weird happens, I'm working it. Sorry guys, but I have to miss tonight too.

Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

I saw in Kablack's signature that this game is looking for one more. I might be able to play, depending on exactly when it is, how we're playing, etc. etc. Also, some kind of brief overview of WTF is going on would be appreciated.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Prak_Anima wrote:Half an hour from the start of my shift, and unless something weird happens, I'm working it. Sorry guys, but I have to miss tonight too.
Looks like we're canceling this one - so you're not missing anything this time.

Looking like we'll likely have another player for next week too.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Chamomile: game usually starts "about two hours before I made this post", and goes for 2-3 hours usually.

As for the basic summary:
[*]The Overlord is dead! Nobody knows who did it, but have been some of those heroes/protagonists/player characters we keep reading about on the television!
[*]The Netherworld (very much aquatic with small tropical islands) is in chaos
[*]One small band of pirates are out gathering disproportionate power and wealth, as well as trying not to get noticed as Player Characters
[*]They have now gained ownership of a sand castle, even recruiting the sand witch running it, as well as a coral tower, recruiting the Sahuagin union reps.
[*]And now they have merged their ship, Gurren-Lagann style, with that of some therapists, and are getting ready to delve into people's brains to therapy them good and proper (see: looting their troubles away)

They're level 4, and it is not required that any new characters are female or pirates. That's just how the starting three turned out.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

Posting for timestamp, will edit with more in a bit.

Okay, the day of the week wasn't mentioned but Mondays and Wednesdays are right-out. I have a thing which ends pretty much exactly when the game begins, which doesn't leave any time for getting home and getting online. Tuesdays and Thursdays will be fine at that time, Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays should also work, although that is around the time I typically have cleared for spontaneous things with friends and the better parts of my family. Particularly Sundays. So if it's on Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, or Saturday, things should be good. If it could be moved an hour or so later, that would also be good, but I'm pretty sure that wouldn't work for some of the others (I skimmed the first two pages or so and skipped the rest entirely).

Exactly how does the ICQ chat work? Is this game done in text or out loud? My sound card is shot and likely won't be replaced for about two or three months, so if I'm going to need to hear things for this...I won't be able to.

Pretty much all the links from this post are now dead. I'll probably be needing those, assuming I haven't already sorted myself out of the list of potential players.
Last edited by Chamomile on Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Quantumboost
Knight-Baron

Post by Quantumboost »

I can answer some of those.

If you're in the United States, the game day is currently Tuesday evenings. If you're in Australia, it's Wednesday afternoons. If you're in Europe, it's reeeeeally early Wednesday mornings.

The chat is purely text-based, you need to have an IRC client, point it at the Hostname irc.nightstar.net (port 6665), and join channel "#arbitrarystring".
Last edited by Quantumboost on Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:I'm not going to go full-asshole, but I'm turning up the dial about 50 millikaeliks.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

The time will work, and it looks like the IRC channel is working as well.

Are the character sheets listed anywhere? And also undeadening those links would be terribly useful.

EDIT: Also, if anyone wants to wax poetic about how awesome their character is, it'll give me a chance to figure out what kind of characters are already in the party in terms of both mechanics and personality, which will give me an idea of what kind of character might be fun to add into the mix.
Last edited by Chamomile on Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I'm playing an Alrune Ninja/Monk/Swashbuckler, daughter of the fallen Pirate King, and a cocky little bitch. Have to decide which class to level up.