I hate the RPGA, and I'm an ass.... who needs some assisstan

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Prak
Serious Badass

Re: I hate the RPGA, and I'm an ass.... who needs some assis

Post by Prak »

shall I take it that you guys are starting to see my end of this all?
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Sir Neil
Knight-Baron

Post by Sir Neil »

clikml wrote:The archer who killed the leader got Manslaughter: 52 TU fine (so the entire year off and not much time left for next year), and confiscation of all his shit. Our two wizards who mercifully only used colory spray and glitterdust (while my rogue sapped enemies into unconsciousness) both got slapped with Negligent Use of Magic: lost their spellbooks paid 500gp and a spent 6 TUs working in a mine. We all got hit with Interfering with Servants of a Noble, but I spent some influence to get out of that minor crime which was a few hundred gp and few TUs.

Why did the characters put up with that?
Koumei wrote:If other sites had plenty of good homebrew stuff the Den wouldn't need to exist. We don't come here because we like each other.
erik
King

Post by erik »

Sir_Neil at [unixtime wrote:1187145037[/unixtime]]
Why did the characters put up with that?

Because we had to. I suppose we could have fled the region and become wanted criminals, but honestly my wife's wizard doesn't really spend gold on anything other than a fluff item so far (she has intelligent item goggles that she has poured about 10,000 gp into mostly for fun), so she could afford rebuying her spellbook. It's not like wizards need money to own everything anyway.

Fleeing was probably more of an option for the other guy losing his spellbook or getting charged with manslaughter since neither of them live in Indiana/Illinois-Verbobonc region anyway, but I don't think either considered simply running for it (which almost certainly would have succeeded, we did win the fight afterall).

The Senior DM for the convention came over, he and our judge both poured over the mod and it apparently was pretty clear on how fvcked we were supposed to me.

Other tables who played that adventure got lucky in avoiding the fight by fixing an out of control wagon that provoked the fight (if the wagon doesn't crash, the diplomacy was allowed, and my rogue would have talked us out of it).

In our party's case and as the facts were presented to us, it sure didn't seem plausible that my rogue who was the only character capable of fixing it via disable device per the mod (a DC 10 check, but we had no idea if it was DC 10 or DC 40 at the time, nor how long the check would take), who was in a different speeding wagon could make the jump across (improbable!) and fix the wagon before it crashed (a couple rounds at best).

So we abandoned it and yelled for the morons ahead to get out of the way. If I have to run that mod, I will make it clear to the party that a craft (woodworking, basketweaving, your mom) DC 10 check is needed to fix the wagon part, so anyone can attempt it as an intelligence check. Not what the mod allows, but I'm all for ignoring the mod instructions when they're stupid.

These were 2 really bad endings back to back. There are many really good adventures out there as well, and in fact we had plenty of fun throughout those 2 until the very end when we found out we got fvcked in each mod. We were actually laughing about how stupid it was that we only got 8 gold for the first one. Folks were more upset in the last one, since the outcomes there were much more harsh.

I probably should write the authors of these mods, since they obviously made some grievous errors that resulted in crappiness for several players, if only for them to be more vigilant in their future adventures.

I'm pretty sure that upon reviewing the laws of the viscounty document (which nobody had on hand at the time), that the wizards should not have even been charged with negligent use of magic... since that's described as something like using a fireball and accidentally hitting innocents with it. The mod apparently listed any non-lethal magic as negligent use of magic, which was incorrect and worth reporting to the authors/triad for review of the mod (though it retires at the end of the year, so I doubt anything would be done).

As for the 8gp fiasco, that sure seems like author oversight coupled with lack of common sense. It utterly baffled me that there was no reward for simply rescuing the schmucks who got captured, and nothing for our valuable information either.

I'm running a few adventures at the Pre-Gencon Madness con tomorrow, so if I'm lucky I may bump into the authors and can talk to them in person to address my concerns.

Sir Neil
Knight-Baron

Post by Sir Neil »

Oh, my characters wouldn't have ran. Like General Wen Yang, they'd've walked. They can enjoy the scenery, and it lets more XP catch up to them.

OTOH, was it the party's fault the wagon went out of control? 'Cause I'd hate to return a few levels later to raze Verbobonc over something that actually was my fault.
Koumei wrote:If other sites had plenty of good homebrew stuff the Den wouldn't need to exist. We don't come here because we like each other.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Sir_Neil at [unixtime wrote:1187150485[/unixtime]]'Cause I'd hate to return a few levels later to raze Verbobonc over something that actually was my fault.

Really? I'd love to raze a city over something that was my fault to begin with.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

same.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Iaimeki
Journeyman

Post by Iaimeki »

If someone pulled any of those stunts on me, I would walk in a heartbeat.