Pathfinder Is Still Bad

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

A Man In Black
Duke

Post by A Man In Black »

Speaking of SKR, the Advanced Race Guide playtest has started. The rules on display are the Race Builder rules, which are basically point-buy to make races. I don't have the energy to take them apart, so check for yourself.
I wish in the past I had tried more things 'cause now I know that being in trouble is a fake idea
K
King

Post by K »

A Man In Black wrote:Speaking of SKR, the Advanced Race Guide playtest has started. The rules on display are the Race Builder rules, which are basically point-buy to make races. I don't have the energy to take them apart, so check for yourself.
Looks pretty awful.

For example, they price out Spell Resistance (6+level) at the same cost as a +2 vs disease. ingested poison, and nausea/sickness.
A Man In Black
Duke

Post by A Man In Black »

K wrote:For example, they price out Spell Resistance (6+level) at the same cost as a +2 vs disease. ingested poison, and nausea/sickness.
SR 11+level is cheaper than +2 cha or Ferocity (keep fighting at 0 HP). DR 5/cold iron is cheaper than DR 5/magic. Apparently claws are too overpowered to give to anything but "advanced" (human-shaped monster) races, but SR isn't. Being vulnerable to Raise Dead (will-negated save-or-die) is one of the six weaknesses you can take. Having hooves is an advantage, despite the fact that all it does is make you wear horseshoes instead of boots/shoes.

Goblins are apparently balanced with standard races(!) because they spend eight of their 10-point allotment on +4 to stealth and ride.
I wish in the past I had tried more things 'cause now I know that being in trouble is a fake idea
CapnTthePirateG
Duke

Post by CapnTthePirateG »

I'm noticing you can GAIN a point (as in, this is a drawback) for getting a +4 in one score of your choice and having a -2 in one mental and physical ability score. So my race of dark elves known for being necromancers? +4 int, -2 str, -2 cha. WOO! FREE SHIT!

You can also do the inverse for a free point. So -4 str, +2 con, +2 int and go wizard? Why the hell not?
OgreBattle wrote:"And thus the denizens learned that hating Shadzar was the only thing they had in common, and with him gone they turned their venom upon each other"
-Sarpadian Empires, vol. I
K
King

Post by K »

A Man In Black wrote:
K wrote:For example, they price out Spell Resistance (6+level) at the same cost as a +2 vs disease. ingested poison, and nausea/sickness.
SR 11+level is cheaper than +2 cha or Ferocity (keep fighting at 0 HP). DR 5/cold iron is cheaper than DR 5/magic. Apparently claws are too overpowered to give to anything but "advanced" (human-shaped monster) races, but SR isn't. Being vulnerable to Raise Dead (will-negated save-or-die) is one of the six weaknesses you can take. Having hooves is an advantage, despite the fact that all it does is make you wear horseshoes instead of boots/shoes.

Goblins are apparently balanced with standard races(!) because they spend eight of their 10-point allotment on +4 to stealth and ride.
I kind of love that you can take Lightbringer and the two Standard light-based weaknesses for a net -1 points and completely negate the weaknesses. That should be fixed in final draft unless no one points it out.

Yeh, on further review it still looks terrible. Creating an uber race by dropping the minor bonuses to a skill check you never do in exchange for real abilities is always going to be what people are going to do. I mean, Weapon Familiarity is that thing you don't care care about and it's still better than a +2 to Appraise gold and gems.

Considering both are priced at the same values as spell-likes and stuff like feats and combat abilities like being able to reroll a Ref check once a day, I think about 70% of the listed abilities will not appear in anyone's drafts of races they want to play.

"Yes, my race has spell resistance and innate magical powers that normally burn expensive material components when used by spellcasters of other races. Your people..... are slightly better at training rats?"
Last edited by K on Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
ModelCitizen
Knight-Baron

Post by ModelCitizen »

The costs are finangled to make all the core races exactly 10 "Race Points" so +2 Perception costs as much as an extra +2 Wisdom. Pretending all the core races are balanced is going to be the anchor around this book's neck.

Funniest thing about that goblin is that it gets points back for having +4/-2/-2 stats. Because, you know, a wizard with -2 Str / +4 Int / -2 Cha would be worse than the standard +2/+2/-2. (E: CapnTthePirateG beat me to it.)
Last edited by ModelCitizen on Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
K
King

Post by K »

They are also flatly wrong when they say that you can't create an Undead Standard race because it's too expensive. There are easily enough weaknesses and other minuses for the 16 point cost for the Undead type.
CapnTthePirateG
Duke

This is going to be the one true book to rule the PF optimization forums. Seriously, you could make the most boss wizard race ever with 10 points. See if you guys can top this.

We start by going for the +4 int, -2 str, -2 cha option, which gives us a point.

We also make our species a humanoid (elf), this is free and opens up that elven magic bs. That and medium. So far, we have gained 1 point.

Might as well throw on slow speed. He's a damn wizard, he can use expeditious retreat if he needs to, and at 9th+ level he flies around all day and just doesn't give a shit. So now we are up by 2 points.

We take the xenophobic language array, because tongues exists. Why the fuck are you charging me points for languages I could be using for fucking damage reduction? Sigh.

Now that we have 12 points, we can put them all into advanced intelligence 3 times so our wizard race can start with a +10 intelligence bonus...wait, what the FUCK? Seriously, that's it, we're done. It doesn't matter at this point. I have seriously created a +10 intelligence race which has no level adjustment or penalties besides -2 str, -2 cha, and a 20 foot movement speed. I have just fucking won. No one is going to make this guy's save DCs. The book tells me this is balanced with the standard races. I consider myself a lenient DM, and I allow a lot, but if a player showed up to my game with this shit I would be forced to congratulate him on his audacity but firmly tell him no.

In conclusion, this book is a steaming pile of shit.

EDIT: Apparently the +10 int doesn't work because you need to get an advanced race. However, see the +18 int, +1 ECL monstrosity below (and the ECL goes away at level 5).
Last edited by CapnTthePirateG on Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
OgreBattle wrote:"And thus the denizens learned that hating Shadzar was the only thing they had in common, and with him gone they turned their venom upon each other"
Strung Nether
Journeyman

Post by Strung Nether »

I could eat a bowl of alphabet soup and SHIT a better race system than that. What the fuck? How are these people paid to write shit like this?
-Strung
Seerow
Duke

Post by Seerow »

Strung Nether wrote:I could eat a bowl of alphabet soup and SHIT a better race system than that. What the fuck? How are these people paid to write shit like this?
Paizo :thumb:
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

I've allowed an awakened giant squid change shape at will, with levels in hergian and a pet marid.

Even I wouldn't allow that +10 Int race
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
CapnTthePirateG
Duke

I don't think they actually had anyone in the company look this over before they released the playtest version. Seriously, I found the +10 to a score in about 5 minutes, why couldn't they?
Seerow
Duke

Post by Seerow »

CapnTthePirateG wrote:I don't think they actually had anyone in the company look this over before they released the playtest version. Seriously, I found the +10 to a score in about 5 minutes, why couldn't they?
Because their only goal was to make it seem like the core races were all balanced. As long as they could make a system that could prove that they didn't care about anything else. Rather than accepting "You know, maybe some of our races ARE too strong/weak, and we should have started with a system like this then built our races with it, and released the system already fully tested later"
CapnTthePirateG
Duke

But it doesn't. We tore it apart in like 5 minutes. Not even the most die-hard real roleplayer is going to take 4 pts worth of skill bonuses when he could grab a higher primary stat or identify for the same amount.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

CapnTthePirateG wrote:But it doesn't. We tore it apart in like 5 minutes. Not even the most die-hard real roleplayer is going to take 4 pts worth of skill bonuses when he could grab a higher primary stat or identify for the same amount.
And that is where you are wrong. I personally know at least two people who would do that.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Seerow
Duke

Post by Seerow »

CapnTthePirateG wrote:But it doesn't. We tore it apart in like 5 minutes. Not even the most die-hard real roleplayer is going to take 4 pts worth of skill bonuses when he could grab a higher primary stat or identify for the same amount.
To clarify, I mean that they wanted a system that would let them rebuild their core races and seem balanced according to that system. Given the core races all have things like languages, or random skill bonuses nobody cares about, or minor save bonuses against niche effects, they overpriced the shit out of those options and called it a day.
CapnTthePirateG
Duke

Hmm, my bad, you apparently need to start with 20 points to take the Ability Boost (i.e not core race).

Still, I bet we could break that. You are 1 level behind from levels 1-5, and that's the only drawback. So I guess throw in 3 more boosts, K's lightbringer combo, and increase the drawback to paragon weakness (physical) for a 4th boost, and you get +18 int, -2 str -2 dex -2 con, +1 CL with light spells, can't be blinded or dazzled by bright light, and you move at 20 feet. Blows the drow noble out of the water, and that guy apparently 22 RP.
Last edited by CapnTthePirateG on Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
koz
Duke

Post by koz »

How many bonus feats could you net with these rules? Thinking of making a 'super human' to see what madness can arise.
Everything I learned about DnD, I learned from Frank Trollman.
Kaelik wrote:You are so full of Strawmen that I can only assume you actually shit actual straw.
souran wrote:...uber, nerd-rage-inducing, minutia-devoted, pointless blithering shit.
Schwarzkopf wrote:The Den, your one-stop shop for in-depth analysis of Dungeons & Dragons and distressingly credible threats of oral rape.
DSM wrote:Apparently, The GM's Going To Punch You in Your Goddamned Face edition of D&D is getting more traction than I expected. Well, it beats playing 4th. Probably 5th, too.
Frank Trollman wrote:Giving someone a mouth full of cock is a standard action.
PoliteNewb wrote:If size means anything, it's what position you have to get in to give a BJ.
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

BUT THE DM WOULDN'T ALLOW THAT TO HAPPEN SO IT DOESN'T MATTER
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Chamomile wrote:Ant, what do we do about Psychic Robot?
You do not seem to do anything.
K
King

Post by K »

CapnTthePirateG wrote:Hmm, my bad, you apparently need to start with 20 points to take the Ability Boost (i.e not core race).

Still, I bet we could break that. You are 1 level behind from levels 1-5, and that's the only drawback. So I guess throw in 3 more boosts, K's lightbringer combo, and increase the drawback to paragon weakness (physical) for a 4th boost, and you get +18 int, -2 str -2 dex -2 con, +1 CL with light spells, can't be blinded or dazzled by bright light, and you move at 20 feet. Blows the drow noble out of the water, and that guy apparently 22 RP.
Sadly, you can't pick more than four times in one category for an Advanced race, so the max Int bonus for an Advanced Intelligence is +8 with a base +4 from Paragon or Greater Paragon, for a total of +12 Int.

I noticed that issue when I was figuring out the max nattie armor you can get, having been entirely bored by the ease of breaking ability scores.

I was interested in the fact that you could create a race with a +2 CL to scorching ray. Combine that with Spell Specialization and when you first get the spell at 3rd it's at +4 CL and thus has an extra ray... so cheers for no save 8d6 damage at 3rd level!
K
King

Post by K »

Mister_Sinister wrote:How many bonus feats could you net with these rules? Thinking of making a 'super human' to see what madness can arise.
As a Standard race, you could only get Skill Focus and a regular free feat, but as an Advanced you could add Weapon Finesse and Improved Initiative for a total of four.

Sadly, it doesn't say that you can take the free feat multiple times like other abilities you can take multiple times.
GâtFromKI
Knight-Baron

Post by GâtFromKI »

huh. I can't even see what this subsystem is for. It doesn't generate balanced races since costs are totally random (eg: for 1 RP you have +3 to a skill, or for 2 RP you have +2 to a skill).

You simply add random numbers for the sake of adding numbers, and at the end you obtain a new number, because that's what you get when you do an addition.

----
On the Paizo's board, they create existing races using this system (they have created the gnoll, the vegepigmy, etc). It doesn't help me to understand what this system is for: existing races already exist.
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

They just had no idea how to handle it, so just put some random stuff together that worked as if the 'core' races are perfectly balanced.
And are now hoping that people will do all the actual design work for them.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

I think it important to note that SKR basically did something very similar and equally stupid with his Feat Point System. We discussed it before on this board.

SKR seems to really like breaking down lists of choices into longer lists of incomprehensibly assigned point totals in order to eat up word count and look like he is working. He does this kind of shit a lot. He produces long lists of apparently randomly assigned point totals to write next to selections to try to prove... something. I don't know. I think he's like one of those people who sees little numbers everywhere that point to a giant conspiracy to spy on him through his teeth.

-Username17
GâtFromKI
Knight-Baron

Post by GâtFromKI »

Hum.

I think I understand.

Since you pay your race with RP, you have now a rule to say "my race is 63% more Roleplay than yours !"