Size and Optimization Friendliness of Play By post Sites

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Ikeren
Knight-Baron

Size and Optimization Friendliness of Play By post Sites

Post by Ikeren »

Hey gang; I'm wondering what people think about both the size and optimization friendliness of various online play by post sites; recognizing that these statements will be generalizations and that each site will have some in favour of optimization and some against it; overarching trends.

Myth Weavers
Tangled Web
RPol.net
DNDOnline Games
Brilliant Gameologists
Giant in the Playground
Anything I'm missing?

Thanks for the help!
A Man In Black
Duke

Post by A Man In Black »

Paizo's forums. Couldn't tell you a thing about them, though.
I wish in the past I had tried more things 'cause now I know that being in trouble is a fake idea
Saxony
Master

Post by Saxony »

Brilliant Gameologists are more power optimizing friendly than giant in the playground.
RadiantPhoenix
Prince

Post by RadiantPhoenix »

I have tried to use RPoL.net, but only with people who I already knew. The campaigns fell through because everyone was too busy.
Fuchs
Duke

Post by Fuchs »

RPOL is really diverse. They offer a lot of different games and playstyles. Though it's always a dice roll whether or not a game takles off, and for how long.
Shadow Balls
Master

Post by Shadow Balls »

Almost all of them are majority basket weavers. Some more than others. BG is perhaps the best off, but still has a surprising number of basket weavers.

Many of these are also downright hostile to non basket weavers, which causes problems in game.
Krusk
Knight-Baron

Post by Krusk »

BG is your best bet. Just be prepared to have very hostile arguements if you decide to not allow something for literally any reason. Also be prepared to be expected to rule strongly in favor of the players in any unclear rules situation. (Even in some clear rules situations that the players don't understand)

Also WoTC has play by post. If you are looking for a 3.5 game it will fill within a day. Thanks to how starved that forum is for 3.5 games.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Krusk wrote:BG is your best bet. Just be prepared to have very hostile arguements if you decide to not allow something for literally any reason..
HAHAHAHA. Indeed. Though, in my experience, the dicks who whine about that sort of thing occasionally cross post here.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

Fuchs wrote:RPOL is really diverse. They offer a lot of different games and playstyles. Though it's always a dice roll whether or not a game takles off, and for how long.
That's about my experience. Most games don't think about optimizing much one way or another (that probably puts them in the anti-optimizing camp, I guess), and most don't get off the ground anyways.

I've tried Myth Weavers, DNDOnline Games, Giant in the Playground, WotC's message boards and Paizo's message boards for play-by-post games, but Paizo is the only place where I've managed to get games to last more than a couple of months (possibly because it takes less time and effort to run a party through an adventure path than to come up with a brilliant idea for a homebrew campaign).
Last edited by hogarth on Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

bg is probably the most optimization-friendly but they're all spergs over there and you had better run psionics and tob OR FUCKING ELSE
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Chamomile wrote:Ant, what do we do about Psychic Robot?
You do not seem to do anything.